[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you think Sunrise can still produce another hit?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 3

File: Sunrise.jpg (6KB, 225x146px) Image search: [Google]
Sunrise.jpg
6KB, 225x146px
Do you think Sunrise can still produce another hit?
>>
Code Geass R3
>>
It doesn't seem like it'll happen this decade
>>
>>14296875

Probably. At the very least they can produce one by accident. It doesn't even have to be good to be a hit, and you can produce something good if you give enough monkeys enough time.
>>
Define "hit."
>>
>>14296875
Love Live Sunshine
>>
You mean an original or are we forgetting that Origin is a thing
>>
>>14296875
They have, it's called Love Live.

If you mean a mecha hit then no, not until they slow down the Gundam factory (which won't happen, because faggots keep buying the same Gunpla year after year).
>>
>>14296875
I'd argue the first Build FIghters was a moderate one. I'll never understand what appeal it had to people who weren't Gundam fans already, but there were a lot of people who have never watched Gundam (or haven't watched for years) and liked it. You could easily observe it's success in both /m/ and /a/ and on groups of anime fans all over the internet.
In Japan, it did get more doujin than most Gundam get, it sold a lot of merchandise, and so on;

It is by no means a huge success like Code Geass was on its time, so it's not the success this thread asks for, but it is the biggest mecha hit Sunrise managed ever since.

Outside of mecha, Sunrise had Love Live which was a huge hit, specially in Japan and most of Asia.
>>
File: fukuda.jpg (41KB, 350x350px) Image search: [Google]
fukuda.jpg
41KB, 350x350px
>>14296875
Only if they hire him as director.
>>
>>14296875
GBF, G-RECO and IBO were all hits.
>>
>>14296928
You know considering the current state of the anime industry I'd argue that they are the biggest hit an AU can be these days to be honest.
>>
>>14296875
no they will milk gundam and gunpla until its a dead horse or they could do another gundam seed entry with more fujobait and it will sell like hot cakes
>>
>>14296925
>What is Cross Ange
I know he was not directing it, but it was still his project, and it failed hard.
>>
>>14296913
UC OVAs sell relatively well, and it's based off a manga, which is just a fanfiction circlejerk about Early UC instead of actually having any merit.
But the way I see it, The Origin isn't even a hit. If it were, it would have tons of exposure everywhere online, lots of people would be talking about it. But there isn't, and during the downtime between episodes almost everyone forgets about it, even here. It's like "Oh yeah, that was a thing." It's completely forgettable.
Unicorn is still a magnet for discussion (largely shitposting on /m/ though), and it's been nearly 2 years since it's ended. It was more of a hit than The Origin, that's for sure.

Now Love Live? That was a massive hit. Massive billboards everywhere, trains with Love Live paintjobs, millions of fans throughout Japan and Asia, tons and tons of sales in merchandise and BDs, the whole shebang.
>>
>>14296925
Cross Ange was just so popular right?
>>
A mecha TV anime these days can't do over 10k average like they used to so >>14296928 is probably right if we're talking about modern times
>>
>>14297042

I think anyone who believes this is delusional. If you try and point at Unicorn? Oh it's not a TV show. Point at Code Geass? It's not recent enough to be an example. Point at the success of mon-mechs shows like Love Live? Mechs shows are a special niche and people don't watch them.

Give me a break. If a mech OVA can be a hit in recent times, then a show can be too. Production values aren't that big an issue, and mechanical shows don't have a special type of value that other shows don't have. Especially action shows.
>>
>>14297073
Yet a lof of people talk about how they specifically dislike mecha, and can't even give a reasoning for that.

I agree saying those shows are a hit because mecha is so niche it will never make a huge success again is stupid. It will eventually happen like happened with Code Geass before. >>14296894 got the right idea.
>>
>>14297073
>If you try and point at Unicorn? Oh it's not a TV show.
Which is a valid point. OVAs are expected to have different sales than TV shows especially UC OVAs since they target a wider audience.

>Point at Code Geass? It's not recent enough to be an example
Exactly. I am saying modern as in like after 2011 or so. The genre's just dried up and really only franchise shows like Gundam and Macross get any kind of attention. All other mecha shows just fall to the wayside even if they are good
>>
>>14297094

It's not about corporate sales expectations though. It's about what the public likes or dislikes, and whether something is mecha or not and whether it has high or low production values doesn't really stop that, because mecha shows have been hits before. It might be harder, but it's still possible.
>>
>>14297125
I never said it was impossible. I'm just saying a mecha TV series hasn't done over 10k average like they used to and as such I don't think it's possible anymore. I would love to be proven wrong but it hasn't happened yet.
>>
>>14297073
>If a mech OVA can be a hit in recent times, then a show can be too
Mecha OVAs sell well because you buy one episode every few months as it comes out for a cheaper price. Compare that to buying the entire box set at once, or each volumes of a BD release. The costs probably triple.
It's only natural that OVAs sell better.
>>
>>14296875
The new Love Live.
The next Gundam OVA series.
>>
>>14297138

So, if a mecha show were basically an OVA series, like the original Legend of the Galactic Heroes OVA series, it would sell better?
>>
>>14297180
It wouldn't hurt
>>
>>14297133

> I never said it was impossible.
> I just don't think it's possible

>>14297138

If people like something they'll buy it regardless if it's more expensive. It's easier for an OVA, but it's still possible for a TV show. Just because it hasn't happened doesn't mean it couldn't.
>>
>>14296875
What are you talking IBO was a huge hit I swear
>>
>>14297235
What I mean is that I am open to it happening again, I just do not think it will
>>
>>14297237
>no trip

all righty let's the count the number of people who'll fall for this
>>
>>14297073
>Point at Code Geass?
Which came out fucking 10 years ago and its not a recent example either also you're neglecting everything that has changed within the industry since then. To say that there's some requirement for a show to be deemed a success is laughable and I've constantly had to remind people that not every fucking Gundam anime sold as well as SEED or 00. The last decade was certainly an era in which a new generation was introduce in anime and where it became apparent that anime could be used to do more than just push toys and due top the lack of competition you had shows like SEED, 00 and CG sell with 40k+ just by being a Sunrise mecha title but now since people arent buying impulsively like they use to you have to give an offer or something of worth to purchase it, Nowadays most top sellers come with an event ticket offer or raffle to lure in buyers your Love Live example came with a fucking raffle ticket and Symphogear only sells well due to event ticket offers.

>B-b-b-b-b-but OVA
Have an entirely different market and expectations involved also are more cost efficient versus buying 9 volumes of a single season. Gundam Unicorn was 7 volumes across 4 years, Akito was 5 volumes across 4 years, Yamato 2199 was 6 volumes across 2 years versus something like G-Reco which was 8 volumes across 10 months meaning you'll be spending over $300 in a single year to collect them while with Unicorn you're be spending less than half that since the volumes come out less frequently. This is all common sense. It's much easier to say that people just aren't into mecha anymore because IBO didn't sell 60k+ like SEED did which came out 14 years prior but you're forgetting that circumstances were different back then, Delta is gonna sell WAY less than Frontier but that can be coughed up to there being less impulsive buyers than its actual quality and I can damn well tell you than SEED, Code Geass and Frontier aren't particularly high quality shows.
>>
>>14297601
>I can damn well tell you than SEED, Code Geass and Frontier aren't particularly high quality shows.

That is always gonna be subjective. A lot of people can -and will- argue that Macross Frontier did more stuff that interested them than Delta. It's rather silly to claim the only difference was impulsiveness or lack of competition. Event tickets are not new things either.
>>
>>14297733
>Event tickets are not new things either.
Their importance in getting people to buy discs are much higher now than they used to be.
>>
>>14297601
>That is always gonna be subjective. A lot of people can -and will- argue that Macross Frontier did more stuff that interested them than Delta.
I have not seen one single argument in regards to Delta being worse than Frontier, everyone uniamously seem to be find with it and a lot of people point out that Delta has already fixed a lot of Frontier's issues. Frontier, much like SEED, got a lot of people into the franchise so of course there was going to be a significant drop in the next installment since the novelty is gone but that sure as hell does not mean they were better.

They are. None of those shows needed event ticket to sell over 40k+ back in the 00s but now damn near every show comes with an event ticket offer
>>
>>14297041
Cross Ange sequel when?
>>
File: 1334386445927.jpg (411KB, 1809x1165px) Image search: [Google]
1334386445927.jpg
411KB, 1809x1165px
>>14296875
I wish they'd so something else like Dolores
>>
>>14297733
They started being a thing 5 years ago. Madoka was the last 40k+ seller that didn't have a special offer solicated with it, since then every top selling TV anime had units moved due to those offers.
>>
>>14297235
>If people like something they'll buy it regardless if it's more expensive
The recent sales tax that's been implemented since 2014 shows that you have no clue what you're talking about. People can't afford to buy impulsively like they used to and the bulk of people who purchase anime are middle age otaku. The reason why the industry isn't in a deficit now is because of sales of oversea movies like Frozen and Big Hero 6 which appeals to people outside anime, last season had the worst sales within the last 12 years because nobody found the need to buy anything.
>>
>>14296875
They make mostly hits, IBO and VVV were just bumps
>>
>>14298433

Except VVV sold, and sold well enough, more than most people here would care to admit if one reviewed sales figures.
>>
>>14298440
>Except VVV sold
Sold so well Aniplex abandoned it.
>>
Aldnoah Zero was something of a hit sadly.
>>
>>14298440
>Except VVV sold
Valvrave did worse than Cross Ange
>>
>>14298465
That's Production IG, not Sunrise

And that didn't do nearly as well as it was being pushed to do, especially considering it was said to "surpass Gundam" and then G-Reco and IBO outperformed it at practically every turn. It was basically Guilty Crown again
>>
>>14298512

Actually AZ was A-1 Pictures

>The whole schtick about surpassing Gundam

Wasn't that "just the president" shooting off his mouth and the end result ended up being ambitious but rubbish?
>>
You will never watch a season 2 trainwreck again.
>>
>>14298532
>Actually AZ was A-1 Pictures
Shit it was? That's even worse

>>14298561
VVV S2 wasn't that long ago was it?
>>
>>14298440
>implying anyone can articulate how VVV sold well in a post-Valvrager /m/
>>
>>14296875
They'd have to hire a non-Japanese writer, because Japanese writers keep going back to the same old tropes even when the premise is something unique and interesting that gets viewers hooked. Just look at 00 and IBO.
>>
>>14298512
Except Guilty Crown was successful enough to spawn an entire subdivision of IG dedicated to churning out Attack on Titan and AoT knockoffs.

It baffles me, but IG saw Guilty Crown as a success, at least internally.
>>
>>14298673
Tax write-off.
>>
>>14298634
00 seems to have been more Banrise execs and producers fault than the head writer's, judging by how abruptly everything changes in response to allegued fan complaints.
>>
>>14298465
Not really. It gathered a lot of attention in the beginning but it didn't manage to keep it.

It managed to regain interest with the twist ending of season 1 only to drop the ball again with the copout at the start of s2.

Granted I don't know how well it sold, but as far as audience reception goes - and I'm not even talking about /m/ here -, it was a miss.
>>
>>14298772
Reco and Fafner outsold it.
>>
>>14298673
How did Wit Studio come from Guilty Crown?
>>
>>14298756
Same can be said about IBO really considering the tonal shift after ep 3.

Although in this case the complaints came from moral guardians rather than the actual fans.
>>
>>14296875
>Do you think Sunrise can still produce another hit?

Sure they can, but they have to stop employing monkeys to write the scripts of the shows.
>>
>>14298851
>Same can be said about IBO really considering the tonal shift after ep 3.
No, I blame IBO completely on the director
>>
>>14298785
Season 1 Sales
> Vol 1 10420
> Vol 2 8859
> Vol 3 8128
> Vol 4 8286
> Vol 5 7970
> Average 8733

Season 2
> Vol 1 8178
> Vol 2 6365
> Vol 3 6019
> Vol 4 6114
> Vol 5 5968
> Average 6529

> Average for both seasons: 7630.7
>>
>>14297020
is anime even popular in other Asian countries?
>>
>>14296875
they'd be well served to do a Crest of the Stars remake, I think.
>>
>>14297020
>The Origin isn't even a hit
The BD sales disagree.

>lots of people would be talking about it
Western fanbase online don't seem to pay much attention to OVAs in general, for some reason. And even then, typical western anime fan don't really care much about early UCs. Unicorn OVAs was more people jizzing over the animation and music. Origin simply isn't all that much up the typical western fan's alley. And most of the discussion to be had will also assume you read the manga, which isn't available for free on every manga readers and the Vertical release, while fantastic, isn't exactly cheap, which furthers reduces the potential level of discussion on the internet.

Then there's also Akito, which again, is also a major hit in Japan but Code Geass has kinda not had as much momentum left in the west

>Love Live
Yes, that is indeed massive, but it'll be unfair to compare other properties to it. Stuff like Origin certainly still count as a hit.

>>14298950
Yes. Very. I don't know how it compares to France since those frogposters like to talk about how it's the biggest consumer of anime outside of Japan, but countries like Taiwan, Hong Kong and Singapore definitely have a lot of fans and have a hell lot more official manga in Chinese released than English ones. Taiwan even has their own version of Akiba: streets prominent for selling tech goods and bookshops filled with printed media like manga and LNs.
>>
>>14299812
>Then there's also Akito, which again, is also a major hit in Japan but Code Geass has kinda not had as much momentum left in the west

Depends. The original series has already been released on BD in quite a few European countries and a couple of them should have Akito releases too. It's really only the U.S. that it has lost momentum, but presumably they could get some back once they have more new material to work with.
>>
>>14298950
Taiwan, hong kong and most south east asian countries grew up watching anime way back in the 80s, Japanese media was a large part of the public consumption at the time, from dramas, robot anime and tokusatsu, it tapered off around mid 90s but made a smaller comeback in early 2000 in the form of idols and a resurgence of interest in anime at around the same time

as to how big is anime now in asia? >http://animefestival.asia/
>>
>>14298950
More popular than in the west
>>
>>14300071
My issue with Akito is that I hate how the CG looks in the movies, and I'm in no way interested in watching more stories about muh oppressed Elevens being super mecha pilots.

Give me grunts in the EU. Give me some non-Britannian mecha.
>>
>>14299812
>Unicorn OVAs was more people jizzing over the animation and music.
aka the good parts about that abomination?
>>
I just finished Turn A the other day and I just finished the first episode of SEED a few minutes ago. Where in the actual fuck did it all go so wrong? I think I'm just gonna go ahead and skip SEED and 00 so I can watch the stuff after them, which is what I'm really interested in, as well as Tomino's non-Gundam stuff.
>>
>>14300274
Don't skip 00
>>
>>14300205
>My issue with Akito is that I hate how the CG looks in the movies
Quite an unpopular opinion, but I can respect it.

>I'm in no way interested in watching more stories about muh oppressed Elevens being super mecha pilots.
Technically only one of them was particularly impressive as a mecha pilot

>Give me grunts in the EU. Give me some non-Britannian mecha.

They gave you something close enough. Stories about "true" grunts are rare even in Gundam though, because you need to sell a more or less unique suit.
>>
>>14301255
I'm an Orangefag, but Akito's cg just looks too plasticky.

I still enjoyed Akito a lot.
>>
>>14300205
>non-Britannian mecha.
Breh, the Alexander isn't Britannian.
Did you just not pay attention?
>>
>>14300274
>>14300405
This.
>>
>>14296875
>implying IBO won't be the next Wing when the dub airs

Just wait buckaroos /co/ is gonna be flocking here harder than ever before with "I wanna get into Gundam but don't know where to start" threads.
>>
>>14302375
>/co/ is gonna be flocking here harder than ever before with "I wanna get into Gundam but don't know where to start" threads.
That happens whenever a new show airs on Toonami, except it's on /a/. That doesn't mean it'll be the next Wing
>>
>>14302375
You sure about that bra? I mean, IBO only aired on multiple streaming services and it has less internet presence than Aldnoah. Not to mention there are a number of people who have talked about how poorly it turned out, criticizing the weak story, shallow characters and low production values.

Wing was big because for a lot of us, it was unlike anything else we had ever seen. It pushed the envelope back in the day, whereas in 2016 IBO has nowhere near the balls.
>>
>>14302434
You got to remember that /co/ has even lower standards than the typical anime fan. IBO's animation would be considered top tier compared to the sort of cartoons they typically get.
>>
>>14302650
Most cartoons don't have the off model issues IBO and other TV anime have.
When people complain about animation in anime more often than not they mean it's ability to stay on model.
Thread posts: 78
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.