[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT Baby's First Mecha

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 3

File: gurren-lagann-screenshot-01.png (181KB, 500x284px) Image search: [Google]
gurren-lagann-screenshot-01.png
181KB, 500x284px
I'll start:
>Gurren Lagann
>Neon Genesis Evangelion
>MEGAS XLR
>Gundam Wing
>Code Geass
>>
Given how many years it's been since wing aired on toonami, it's become somewhat of a forgotten relic by now. Babies today prefer more modern shit like the aforementioned above and 00
>>
>>14291033
There really hasn't been a "rah, rah, best thing ever!" that really excited the normalfags for a while though. They aren't even biting Delta.

Maybe trigger's new thing will bring out the cancer.
>>
I saw Wing, but it wasn't until G that I really fell in love with Gundam (and Giant Robots in general), which is kinda ironic considering how unlike every other Gundam series it is.
>>
File: image.jpg (291KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
291KB, 1280x1024px
You forgot me
>>
>Gurren Lagann
>Neon Genesis Evangelion
They are entry level, but I think they do hold some merit. EVA is a bit overrated, but there are many things that it does well and it is a great entry in the genre. TTGL is overhyped, especially by those new to mecha, but it's still a fun super robot show.

>MEGAS XLR
Is Megas even that popular to be considered entry level? I guess I agree if it is. It's worth a watch if you're a mecha fan though as there are a ton of /m/ references in it. Mazinger, Macross, Gundam, Transformers, Voltron/GoLion, Capt. Harlock.

>Gundam Wing
Like >>14291033 said, Wing is kinda old news at this point. It was babby's first mecha in the Toonami hey days, but not so much now. IBO is gonna be airing on Toonami soon, so I think that's going to take the new babby's first Gundam title. Same with Origin. People will watch that thinking it's a replacement for the original.

>Code Geass
>Escaflowne
I've never seen these. Are they even worth my time at this point? Escaflowne seems like it could be kinda interesting.
>>
>>14291142
I personally couldn't get into code geiss years ago.

But I liked escaflowne

I've seen threads on here hating on the sci fantasy antagonist
>>
>>14291142
Geass season 1 is great, but there's less a focus on the mech and more a focus on the characters and conflict and whatever. The mech battles are better in season 1 because for the most part they roll around on rollerblades, power creep starts to set in though so one side will get a flying suit then the other side gets one and by the end of season 2 everyone is flying and beam spamming.
>>14291103
Summoned Skull, is that you??
>>
>>14291064
I have no idea why you'd think people would be interested in Delta.

Shitty CG mecha fights are a dime a dozen and it hasn't got anything interesting going on in it.
>>
>>14291142
If you liked UC Gundam you'll like Code Geass, if you treat it as the absurdist parody that it is.
>>
File: 3606510-big-o.jpg (264KB, 716x614px) Image search: [Google]
3606510-big-o.jpg
264KB, 716x614px
>>14291023
Those are all good picks, but I think the one that got me actually interested in the genre was this one. Never seen a full episode of it, as I was a small kid who never payed much attention to Toonami's airing times expect for Naruto, but Lil' Neon got way may more hyped from just glancing at Big-O than I even did staring blankly at Wing.
>>
Here's thne problem with listing Eva/CG

The people who watch it that aren't mecha fans, aren't watching it for the mechs, they're watching it for the characters and story.

Say what you want about GL fans (though the show's been around so long they're basically oldfags by 4chan years), but they are in fact watching for the mechs.
>>
>>14291165

It's not parody, it's just purposely melodramatic. That makes it less of a parody and more of a farce.
>>
>>14291160
>I have no idea why you'd think people would be interested in Delta.
Because it's fucking macross and Frontier very much was a normalfag magnet.
>>
>>14291208
>they're watching it for the characters and story.
But the characters and story are weak in Eva and CG.
>>
>>14291142
Yeah, something being "entry-level" isn't a statement on its quality. Just the type of crowd it attracts.

I went back and watched Eva for the first time in a decade+ and not only does it hold up, it's better now that I know more about storytelling, setups and payoffs, etc. The way characters develop through action and body language, the Ozu-like quiet parts, the rhythmic pacing... A lot of the story makes no sense but everybody loved the show anyway because it's so damn watchable.
>>
>>14291208
There's only one mech in Eva and it shows up for all of a single episode.
>>
>>14291275
Must you really contribute to the low quality of this board with your shitposts, /lit/ reject?
>>
>>14291023
seed deserves a spot on the list.

all of my normie friends only watched seed/destiny as their first mecha followed by gurren lagann, eva.
>>
>>14291270

But so entertaining.
>>
>>14291270

Oh come on.

Try this, get somebody to do the "Plinkett test" (have somebody who saw the show quickly describe Eva characters with a few adjectives from the top of their head). The more "ummm..."s and pauses you hear, the worse the characters are.

They'll have no trouble whatsoever (meaning the characters are well defined), and a lot of those descriptions might happily contradict each other (meaning the characters aren't one-note).
>>
>>14291295
Man, I used real simple language, why you gotta be proud about being ignorant?
>>
>>14291301
You forgot that the Plinkett test also requires that in describing a person, you can't mention what they look like or their role in the story.

Still, the main characters are easily done.
>>
>>14291301
No, they aren't. Sorry you don't like to accept facts.
>>
>>14291311
meant to quote
>>14291290
>>
>>14291213
That is true, but the self-awareness is still there.
>>
>>14291208
Actually a TON of people aren't watching GL for the mecha.

Same with Escaflowne.
>>
>>14291328
>Same with Escaflowne.
Escaflowne is half mech show, half shoujo. That's expected.
>>
>>14291328
>>14291330
Escaflowne had something for everyone, I'm not the least bit surprised that it became entry tier
>>
>>14291320
I'm not, I just don't like blatant shitposting, especially the kind that pretends a show or series has more to it than it actually does. Like the average post from a Getterfag about their series, for example.
>>
>>14291353
Anon, speaking positively about a show you like isn't shitposting
>>
>>14291356
It is when you attribute far and away more positives to it than it has.
>>
>>14291362
But that's not shitposting. Shitposting is when you purposely say shit for the purpose of stirring up shit and causing problems, hence the term shitposting.

What you have a problem with isn't shitposting, it's being a fanboy.
>>
>>14291142
Excaflowne is high fantasy romance steampunk mecha show with a reverse trap. The designs are nice, but Vahn x Hitomi x Allen is as cringey as Heero x Relena.

Dont forget to also watch Rahxephon and Dual!
>>
>>14291367
They're one and the same.
>>
>>14291412
Not quite as cringey; Van never threatened to kill Hitomi - neither did Allen.

As for the guy asking the question, I'd say it depends on your ability to deal with a teenage girl being a teenage girl. Hitomi makes dumb choices but they're mostly appropriate for a girl of her disposition in that situation. As for the mecha, Escaflowne has beautiful designs and the combat has a real weight to it. Anime combat often ends up quite floaty and weightless, but the Guymelefs of Escaflowne feel like they're giant behemoths crashing into each other. Also, the soundtrack is pretty damn amazing.
>>
>>14291507
Incorrect on all accounts.
>>
>>14291467

I disagree, being a blind fanboy doesn't mean you shit on everything you don't like. It just means you defend the things you do like at an unreasonable level.

However, even the most blind fanboy is better than a shitposter, because while the former may be autistic, they aren't malicious. At the end of the day a fanboy just wants to talk about the things they love, even if somewhat excessively. A shitposter just wants to bring down the board and cause damage.
>>
>>14291553
hit submit too soon.

Was going to say that keep in mind that until recently, we just called shitposters trolls. You'd never call a fanboy a troll. An idiot maybe, but there's a difference between that and someone trolling.
>>
>>14291553
>>14291557
Stop replying to him. If there was an algorithm that filtered his posts you know I would post it, but you can't just keep feeding him. Attention is what he wants.
>>
>>14291553
Yes it does.

>>14293002
You sure do like your baseless assumptions, don't you?
>>
>>14291023
I grew up during Toonami's heyday, but I had more fond memories of G Gundam than Wing.
>>
>>14294719

Same, but that's because I paid more attention when watching Wing.
>>
>>14294722
when watching G I meant
>>
>>14294722
Come to think of it, did they ever show Gundam 0079 in it's entirety? I only remember their New Year's Eve-il thing where they showed they showed the A Baoa Qu episodes?
>>
>>14291033
>00
00 being babbies first gundam is replaced by IBO.
>>
>>14294731

No, they did not. They stopped because of 9-11
>>
>>14291103
My first mech series back in the late 90s.
Latin America dub.
>>
>>14295677
>00 will eventually become "too old to watch"

That's why I hate it when people say that. It's already weird that I get people that says 90s animation is too old to be good.
>>
>>14298408
Who says that? 90s animation has aged far better than stuff from the early-mid 2000s.
>>
>>14298408
Anime casuals I would run into at my campus' cafeteria.

I was sitting down with a friend who finished TTGL, so I recommended Gunbuster.

A guy who passed by said he refused to finish Gunbuster because he said it was boring and nothing was happening even 5 episodes in. And that it looked too old, which made the animation bad.

Turned out he what he actually meant was Trigun.
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.