[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Those people who only know what they know about older mecha

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 108
Thread images: 6

File: 13bng.gif (86KB, 400x363px) Image search: [Google]
13bng.gif
86KB, 400x363px
>Those people who only know what they know about older mecha series because of SRWs

>Hey, you should watch ___
>Nah, It's too old. I already know the gist of the plot anyway from Super Robot Wars, though

The series literally gives people the idea that they know what they're talking about when in reality they know nothing.
>>
For me it's the opposite. I see a series that looks cool in the games and want to give the show a try. Though sometimes it's probably not a good idea.
>>
>>14259342
>Oh hey, /this/ show looks cool
>no subs
>well what about /this/ show
>subs are bad
>maybe /this/ show?
>Half finished and the subbers got ninja'd
everytime
>>
>>14259342
Honestly I actually look up the show if I see them in a game. Then I use my knowledge from the shows to kinda hardball the plot in said game.
>>
>watch Machine Robo
>it's meh for the most part
>watch Dancouga
>it's pretty run of the mill with below average animation
>watch Tobikage
>dumb plot that already falls apart in the first few episodes
>watch Combattler
>goes to complete shit in the second half
>watch Dangaioh
>it's just your average 80s mecha OVA

Sometimes knowing nothing is for the better
>>
>>14259827
Yep, pretty much.
>>
>>14259342

see here's the thing you're not getting. For as much as people shit on the quality of anime today? It was just as bad in the 70s. and 80s. and 90s

a lot of these shows where over long and just plain not good.
>>
>>14259898
The difference is that were a lot less anime back then.

Now you get assaulted by putrid shit every season. Anime quality is cheapened, just by the sheer number of titles these companies release.
>>
>>14259878
Watch Daitarn you faggot.
>>
File: finger.png (932KB, 1023x741px) Image search: [Google]
finger.png
932KB, 1023x741px
>>14259878
>it's just your average 80s mecha OVA
So amazingly fun
>>
>>14259921
More like mundanely fun.

But keep forcing the "Dangaioh is great" meme.
>>
>>14259909
>This
Daitarn is fun as fuck.
>>
>>14259923
More like insanely fun.

But keep forcing the "Dangaioh is mediocre" meme.
>>
>>14259968
Boy I sure enjoyed watching the EPIC BATTLES of Robot Holds Up Its Hand and Then Enemy Just Dies.
>>
>>14259908
>The difference is that were a lot less anime back then.

No there wasn't. You can just download it all for free now.
>>
>>14259878
That's all fine though because you actually tried.
>>
>>14259986
Yep 40 years of good anime right at your fingertips.

People only have themselves to blame if they insist on watching seasonal shit.
>>
>>14259978
That was a cool battle man. Dangaioh's too short and incomplete to be anything but medicore with good music, animation and waifus though. Manga UK dub is an experience in of itself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8aOmG6-XXU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Awr3jvbkjPk
>>
File: a truly repulsive tale.jpg (139KB, 378x533px) Image search: [Google]
a truly repulsive tale.jpg
139KB, 378x533px
>>14259827
>tfw you can't Ashita Wo Tsukue Baldios
>tfw you can't TRINITY CHARGE
>tfw you can't UCHUU SPEZ NUMBAH ONE
>tfw you can't GINGA REPPU or GINGA SHIPPU
>or BUILD UP BAM BAM BAM BAM

Every goddamn time.
>>
>>14259874
This, been helpful so far otherwise I would be totally lost.
>>
>>14260115
Except literally all that anime is "seasonal". Don't be autistic.
>>
>>14259342
some old series feels it drag on too much
>>
>>14259827
this more likely i experience than other one
>>
>>14260324
some new series feels it drag on too much
>>
>>14259827
You could always learn nip you know
>>
>>14259819
This. Never would've watched Xabungle or King Gainer if I didn't see them in SRW and I'm glad I did.
>>
>>14260351
That's more to do with you being a pleb with no taste than anything else bbqh
>>
Actually playing my first SRW (J, the translation patch, being the filthy EOP I am) and feeling if I hadn't watched Nadesico, G Gundam, FMP, or SEED, a lot of the fanservice would be lost on me. The shows I don't know much about, like Layzner and Dancougar, or non-bastardized Tekkaman Blade have been cool to see and have sparked an interest in them - which is probably the intention.

Something basic like Mazinger Z you can probably claim to know the formula at least as it's timeless - only seeing Mazinkaiser myself I don't feel I missed a great deal, maybe only the handover to Great.
>>
>>14260387
>The way I randomly find out about chinese robot toy cartoons is more patrician than the way you randomly find out about chinese robot toy cartoons!
>>
>>14260421
You being a fag about it don't make it any less true.

>>14260414
Nope.
>>
>>14260414
Isn't the Mazinger in J only Kaiser anyway? It's heavily expanded since you've got a series that originally was an OVA extended to tag alongside the player from the beginning to the ending, but it's still the same show you watched.
>>
>>14259819

This. I probably wouldn't have given Dancouga a look otherwise.
>>
>>14260685
Shame that works more against you than for
>>
>>14259923
>>14259968
>I don't like it, therefore it is a meme
>>
>>14260315
The filename is new getter robo ova
>>
>>14260459
>Isn't the Mazinger in J only Kaiser anyway?

Yes
>>
>>14259827
Growing a lot rarer. I remember back when I started getting into /m/ stuff in 2009 and so much stuff back then hadn't been translated.
>>
>>14260756

And yet still no Nova dvds
>>
>>14260315
>or BUILD UP BAM BAM BAM BAM
At least the Jeeg manga's being done (by both Happy and HnG, oddly enough).
>tfw you can't Ashita Wo Tsukue Baldios
The crazy thing is you can't even blame the ninjas for this, since BlueFixer retired out of their own volition.
>tfw you can't GINGA REPPU or GINGA SHIPPU
This though, I know the feeling.
>>
>>14260728
No, the filename is "a truly repulsive tale". I know it might be difficult for you to read those tiny letters on your computer screen, but you can trust me, I wrote it.

>>14260756
Yeah, but there's still quite a bit of content out there without subs.
>>
>>14260756
That's still the case.

>>14260816
Pretty sure he means the correct filename.
>>
File: encounter.jpg (37KB, 269x270px) Image search: [Google]
encounter.jpg
37KB, 269x270px
>>14260811
>At least the Jeeg manga's being done
Oh fuck yes, I've been waiting to read this.
>>
>>14260880
We can only hope they will forget about it
>>
>>14260321
Picking at his choice of words like that show who the real autist is m8. I think his meaning was pretty fucken clear.
>>
Crossover games seem to do this a lot. Smash and Marvel VS Capcom breed the same sort of people.
>>
>>14259342
I only watched OVA for old anime. Because if they're shit, at least the animation is going to be good.
>>
>>14259342
I'm not going to waste over a hundred hours just to get something in a video game.
>>
>>14259878
>goes to complete shit in the second half
I couldn't disagree harder with this, while not amazing I still enjoyed it
>>
>>14260816
But you didn't crop it. It's true name is new getter robo ova. a truly repulsive tale is a slave name
>>
>>14259342
>The series literally gives people the idea that they know what they're talking about when in reality they know nothing.
Yes, it's what wikipedia does with comics and super sentai.
Just be glad that those people can at least bother to play SRW.
>>
>>14262719
>waste
>he says when anything is objectively better than playing those games
>>
>trying to be elitist over ancient toy commercials
You old bags are a riot, complete with the "it used to be better in my day" spiel.
>>
>>14263270
Not watching those shows is objectively better than watching them.
>>
>>14261743

If you're an MvC fan, odds are you've already played 90% of Capcom games and only give a shit about the Marvel characters for tier reasons. I should know.
>>
>>14260321
Okay let me rephrase:

You can watch all the 50 simulcast shows that come out on Crunchy every year and shitpost about them on /a.

Or you can pick and choose good shows from the anime catalogue build up over 40 years.
>>
>>14263435
>I can shitpost about new things or make sacred cows of old things.
>>
>>14263435
You haven't seen the bad shows of their time? Or do you just not remember them anymore?
>>
>>14263373
Why are you on /m/ then?
>>
>>14259878
If we're talking about this, I just finished Layzner and holy fuck. I heard it got cancelled and the ending was rushed, but jesus. They are literally talking about crucial plot points that were apparently off-screen. One second Ru Kain has Layzner at his mercy, but is protecting him from Karla so he can learn the truth, next they are in space fighting over the ancient mayan space tube, and apparently Eiji's sister is in there. She then wipes the Gradosians out with 2001: A Space Odyssey powers she now has.

Overall, a pretty fucking cool show, but jesus man, it goes from monster of the week, to suffering, to holyshithype, to Hokuto no Ken, before finally landing at what I assume was an UNDERSTANDING ending.

i'm watching the OVAs with a friend, so he can get the plot without sitting through the whole series. That one episode where they were fighting the Death Demon Squad in an old house and Simone refuses to get off her motorcycle was fun. Layzner MKII never, Baybull deserved better, Buldy M.I.A. etc.
>>
>>14263371
this, robot cartoons are the literal toy commercials.
>>
File: 1463097020918.jpg (532KB, 1339x2078px) Image search: [Google]
1463097020918.jpg
532KB, 1339x2078px
I always watch series I don't know when approaching a new SRW that has them.

That way I more or less know what to expect from the characters I meet. Not to mention it's hard to keep track of all the new faces and names if I don't.

It's true that I lose the wow factor of being pleasantly surprised by new mechs and their attacks, but I still prefer to have the slightest idea of what is going on.
>>
>>14263830
When I started watching anime about 5 years ago I decided to do my research and only watch the good shows. I have a huge backlog to go through. One day I'll run out though.
>>
>>14260459
>>14260742
Technically it also includes the Mazinkaiser movie, but then again, I hear every appearance of OVA Kaiser does that.

>>14259342
I've never seen someone say this, and I doubt I ever will given how ridiculously few SRW games with licensed series have actual translations. People aren't about to say they know the plot if they can't even experience it secondhand and just glean bits of it from a script summary that some Korean with both English and Japanese as second languages posted on gameFAQs

On the other hand, I am one of those people you're talking about, but not with an older mecha series. I'm like that about Gundam SEED. Playing SRW has sufficiently turned me off from ever wanting to watch it.
>>
>>14270420
Layzner's real ending isn't the last episode, but the final OVA. And the ending, interestingly enough, is actually pretty much the opposite of UNDERSTANDING
>>
File: Layzner Ep38.webm (3MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
Layzner Ep38.webm
3MB, 640x360px
>>14270536
I know about the "true" ending, it was just a wild ride marathoning that shit over a weekend.
>>
>>14259342
Not only has no one ever said this but I'm pretty sure SRW more often inspires people to watch shows. I know it has for me.
>>
>>14270530

No I mean, you didn't watch the bad shows when the air-

>started watching anime about 5 years ago

Oh, you're a beginner.

When you've watched anime for 30 years, you've seen it all.
>>
>>14270531
>I'm like that about Gundam SEED. Playing SRW has sufficiently turned me off from ever wanting to watch it.

With which game? I thought it was done well in Alpha 3. The Providence was probably one of my favorite bosses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVneZpj8ttc
>>
>>14270568
Not him, but time means nothing. It's more about what you do with that time. I know people that have been watching for 20 years and still are newfags.
>>
>>14270531
>but then again, I hear every appearance of OVA Kaiser does that.
GC/XO (OVA Kaiser's first appearance) didn't come with the movie stuff, sadly.

On the plus side it actually used that one kickass song from the OVA that got ignored for Majin Kenzan in every other game.
>>
>>14270572

I watch everything, good and bad. I feel like if you only watch good things you get an inflated ego when it comes to your tastes, on the internet at least.

Besides, most shows people say are bad are just average. Not compared to the shows that really are truly godawful. And who knows, you may find a show that's only average that you end up really liking.
>>
Anyone else can't play an SRW if they haven't seen all its shows? I just can't get rid of the feeling that I'm missing out if I don't know the origins.

To make matters worse, the one SRW where I've seen everything and played, J, was not a good game.
>>
>>14270576
>Anyone else can't play an SRW if they haven't seen all its shows?

Nah. Hell I started playing the series because of it just having ONE show in particular, and then when playing it just so happened to have a bunch of shows I'd already seen.

Even Banpresto doesn't expect you to have seen anything. Before SRW had it show up, no one remembered Zeorymer, not even the creator.
>>
>>14270577
I remembered Zeorymer thanks to renting its sub-only version from Blockbuster ages ago, and me and a friend wondering what the hell was going on.

Even that was vague at best, though, especially given how old that memory is. Fucking VHS.
>>
>>14270576
It had a pretty solid cast, though. If they kept all the series from J, along with the new additions in W, W would be even closer to the perfect SRW.
>>
>>14270576

J was not a bad game because of the shows though, it was bad because it was REINFORCEMENTS: THE GAME
>>
>>14270581
Zeorymer in W would have been amazing. It's not like it would have broken the game, either, considering how easy W was. Might have actually gotten some more use out of G Gundam, too.

Brain Powered I have, uh. Very mixed feelings about.
>>
>>14270582
At least J's mechanics were otherwise mostly solid. K having the cast list it did attached to the systems and lazy writing that came out of it was infuriating.
>>
>>14270583
Brain Powered may have had carbon copies of the same unit 11 times, but it also gave us fucking Nelly Brain. I don't know why I find that design so cool.

Tossing in Layzner would have been great too, I can only imagine what they could have done with the extra animations.
>>
>>14270591
Nelly Brain is pretty cool. I also like the Baronz...es for reasons I can't quite articulate.
>>
>>14270600
Their tentacles are neat.
>>
>>14270582
I absolutely agree. I liked almost every show from in it. Even liked using characters/mecha from series I don't enjoy.
>>
>>14270582
really just fix the Reinforcements issue, and maybe replace SEED with something else(cause it meshed with the rest of J's series terribly), possibly add a couple more series(and expand G Gundam to maybe be a full adaptation for once) and I'd say J would be a good choice for a Remake in the vein of A Portable or MX Portable
>>
>>14270640
They played SEED too straight in J (lone ship hunted by the Zeo-- ZAFT drama, despite the Nadesico and a bunch of other series being RIGHT THERE for most of it).

W played SEED way better - by having the Archangel off doing its own thing and not drowning in allies when it needed to be. And focusing on Astray, which is way more entertaining, but that's another story.
>>
>>14270961
I remember people mocking J for that; Natarle keeps going on about how they're doomed without the Strike, while Kouji is giving Mazinkaiser a good wax job in the hanger. Or the screencap where the Blitz has a "clear shot" at the Archangels bridge, when in reality it is surrounded by Combattler, Mazinger, Voltes, 4 Aestivalis', and Granteed.
>>
>>14271291
Or having a line of Voltes, Combattler, Mazinkaiser, Granteed's upgraded unit, God Gundam, and fucking Zeorymer right in the way of the Black Archangel to ram the Archangel. Yet Mwu dies. Its kinda hilarious.
>>
>>14270961
B-But I enjoyed SEED in J!
>>
>>14271316
It's definitely got some good moments, like Cagalli hanging out with Mithril and Dancougar.
>>
>>14271334
And Domon calling out Azrael's bitchfit reason to start Blue Cosmos instead of the legit reason of Coordinators taking over and fucking everything up.
>>
>>14259342
I'm watching as many of the shows in SRW as I can before I play them. Am I doing good?
>>
>>14270640
As bad as J's SEED was, saying it meshed with the other series poorly is flat out wrong. It's not Alpha 3 SEED, which was implemented absolutely fucking horribly. It actually does fit. Things like G Gundam, Zeorymer, and most certainly Mazinkaiser VS Ankoku Daishogun were implemented much worse.
>>
>>14271569
Yeah G Gundam was just there most of the time.
>>
>>14271569
>As bad as J's SEED was

Nah, it was fine.

G Gundam though, woah.
I think they just added it in because they needed another Gundam series, but didn't bother to double check if it would fit.
>>
>>14271577
Yeah like suddenly there are Neo Colonies and people just roll with it.

"Oh yeah Allenby and her Nobel Gundam from Neo Sweden"
>>
>>14271577
I was saying "as bad as J's SEED was" in terms of how they handled the plot, with things like >>14271291 and >>14271309 going on.

>>14271584
This right after they go out of their way to ignore the existence of the colonies earlier, trying to make them not a thing in this universe. But no, suddenly they and the Gundam Fight exist out of nowhere, despite that meshing with J's plot about as well as chocolate and mayonnaise.
>>
>>14271604
Yeah I know. It was kinda hilarious.
>>
>>14271604
Alright then.
>>
>>14270576
Nah. My first SRW was OG1 and 2 so obviously there wasn't anything to watch for that, but then at the time I played J the only shows in it I had actually seen were G Gundam and Mazinkaiser.
>>
>>14270576
For me it's the other way around. I want SRW to show me series I don't know yet. I want it to surprise me with what cool shit they have to offer, to sell me on watching them.

And then I watch the series in question and sometimes find it just as good as advertised, but just as often it's just not so good because SRW shows off only the best parts. But such is life.
>>
>>14271569

@3's actual use of the SEED story was fine. It's just how they so halfassedly shoved it into the timeline that was bad.
>>
>>14272236
Hey, at least Earthnoids and Spacenoids finally came together.

To kill those fucking Coordinators.
>>
>>14272243
Zeon should've just gassed ZAFT's colonies, I don't think anyone would have minded
>>
I got into SRW through Votoms

As for series I was introduced to...

I enjoyed Daitarn 3, King Gainer, Zambot 3, and Big-O.

Aquarion and SKL were meh.

Getter Robo and Baldios, I wish was fully subbed.

As for Dancouga, I felt like it was going to give me a seizure with all the red and pink flashes on screen.
>>
>>14272243

I meant more of the fact that it avoids all of the stupid story issues J had in trying to implement SEED.

With the exception of the finale, like 90% of SEED stages occur on stages where the only units you really have to field are Gundams. So here it IS realistic that keeping the Strike in good condition is a big deal.
>>
>>14260315
>tfw can't MISSION: OUTER SPACE
>>
>>14272251
No one seems to mind when they gas other colonies, so probably not.
>>
>>14272251
If they did they would be seen as heroes.
>>
>>14272260
Minus the fact that you're swimming in Gundams that have been kicking ass for three other wars, I guess. Preeeetty sure Strike's a wee bit redundant at that point.
Thread posts: 108
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.