[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Open Request to Fansubbers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 1

File: tominointerview.png (360KB, 537x403px) Image search: [Google]
tominointerview.png
360KB, 537x403px
It's awesome that so many old, obscure shows have been fansubbed. But one thing english-speaking fans are still missing out on is behind-the-scenes material, and interviews with the creators. There is tons of this stuff out there that may never be translated.

For instance, here's a 2-hour interview with Tomino from 2005:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goPifY34_k0

Or this panel discussion about Ideon:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdFaaZRGYiY

Anyway, just wanted to throw this out there. For any Fansub groups looking for projects, translating material like this would be extremely beneficial to fans, and could potentially be a lot easier than tackling 50+ episode shows.
>>
>>14244252
go learn jap, no one cares
>>
>>14244252
but then how will we make shit up and claim people said it
>>
You literally have no excuse learning japanese yourself. Teach yourself to fish faggot.

OPはファゲット
>>
>>14244252
This kind of stuff is a giant pain in the ass to translate and takes FOREVER, good luck on learning japanese.

Sincerely,
A fansubber
>>
>>14244252
You a few options
A) Do it yourself
B) Pay someone to do it
C) Shut up
>>
>>14244252
Also, it would be nice to have G-Saviour translated so people whose native lenguage isn't english could understand it better.
>>
>>14244262
>go learn jap
Even then, he would have hard time following Tomino speaking, even Nips have troubles. During the anniversary speech the translator had troubles doing it live.
>>
I'd have done it but OP's fansubber cocksucking makes me cringe so he can keep looking for fansubbers.
>>
>>14245124
From what I understand, it's really difficult translating by ear. This is one of those times I wish the Japanese included subtitles for more of their stuff; that courtesy towards the hard of hearing also makes things infinitely easier for translators. But if they rarely do it for actual anime, they certainly won't for interviews and stuff. It is a shame, though one can always hope for transcripts, etc. floating around somewhere.
>>
>>14246087
Everything on Japanese TV has subtitles by law. People just don't turn them on.
>>
>>14246093
But said subtitles don't make it to the DVD releases, which is utterly infuriating.
>>
Why do fansubbers suck so much at listening to actual Japanese? That's a pretty basic skill, haven't you guys got your proficiency certifications?
>>
>>14246836
I imagine most TLs that do use them to get paying gigs.
One other disadvantage is that the interviews aren't done with audio as clear as voicework, and the japs being interviewed talk at a more natural and less dramatic pace. Characters in animu don't talk the same way moonpplz do in real life, after all.
You really have to be native speaker level to avoid straining yourself translating an interview by ear.
>>
>>14246848
Did the
>actual Japanese
fly right over your head?
>>
The real travesty is that most fansubs are mostly in English, especially for mecha series.
>>
>>14244252
As a fansubber I get what you mean - I also would love to see more behind the scenes material get translated, but like others have said, actual spoken Japanese wildly differs from the Japanese in your average mecha or toku. This tends to demotivate most fan translators (and timers), and can be just as challenging as taking on a 4-cours show. Speaking from personal experience, I've had the opportunity to time production interviews in addition to subbing /m/ shows, and I can tell you a pretime of fifteen minutes of the former is something that takes me about as long as a 20m episode of a TV show. This is definitely worse for a fan translator with little to no experience with real life spoken Japanese.
>>
>>14246877
If you're speaking English right now then you should be fine.
>>
>>14247038
And many non-English speaking countries got way more dubs of older shows than Murrica ever did. Especially South America and Italy for whatever reason.
>>
>>14246861
It sure flew over yours.
>>
>>14247057
So let me get this straight. I mention actual Japanese aka not anime dialog. You go on a rant to me about how anime dialog differs wildly from non-anime Japanese despite me already mentioning it. I reply to you that you totally missed that part of my post. And now you're mad about it and make some throw away shitpost? You fucklord.
>>
>>14247088
>You
This is an anonymous imageboard, newfag.

>You go on a rant to me about how anime dialog differs wildly from non-anime Japanese despite me already mentioning it.
You asked why they can't, with no signs of it being "rhetorical" or whatever stupid shit you're going to claim in your next post. He explained why. You are fucking autistic if this upsets you. Kill yourself.
>>
>>14247096
>You asked why they can't, with no signs of it being "rhetorical"
>You are fucking autistic
Oh mein gott the ironing
>>
>>14247107
>You go on a rant to me about how anime dialog differs wildly from non-anime Japanese despite me already mentioning it.
>despite me already mentioning it.
Except you literally didn't, you autistic fuckwad.

>Why do fansubbers suck so much at listening to actual Japanese?
Point out the part where you did.

Hint: You can't because it's not fucking in there.

Just accept that you asked a stupid question and got an obvious answer. It doesn't matter what you "meant" to communicate, because you failed at it.
>>
>>14244252
i wish i knew japanese there is so many japs uploaded tomino's interview in youtube.
>>
>>14246093
It's time to grab the .ts files directly and demux the subs.
>>
>>14247301
>implying the assholes who sell rips include CCs
>>
>>14244252
i really loved how tomino talked
>>
>>14246877
Who doesn't know English these days?
Bless Brittania, amirite guise?
>>
>>14246093
Whoah, really? That's very cool, I didn't know that. Good for Japan! Like Starseeker said, though, I wonder why these never get to the DVDs. It seems like it would be a very simple matter to put them there, I dunno why it wasn't more common with a lot of shows from the 80s.
>>
>>14248386
Reason I heard is they're made by the TV station, so it's a separate set of rights that would need obtaining and since it doesn't seem to be a legal requirement, it just doesn't happen. Films seem to have captions on the DVD fairly often, but TV series almost never.

Hence the running fansubber joke that Japan hates deaf people.

This is why TV re-runs of old shows are such a big deal, it means captions for things with terrible audio.
>>
>>14248434
Oh damn, that's really interesting. So subtitles have a copyright in Japan? Hmm...is it the same thing in Western countries too? I know most TV shows in Britain and America have subtitles, are those subtitles owned by the broadcasting stations rather than the creators of the show as well?
>>
>>14247119

Not that guy, but it was pretty obvious what he meant if you read more than just the first sentence. Actually if you had just read the next five words, you could have known.
>>
>>14246924
Then clearly you don't know Japanese if you can't understand their conversations. Funny how translators for American releases have no issues subtitling these extras.
>>
I dont have any issue with translating the actual speech, but a 5min interview has way way more lines in it than a 20min anime typically
>>
I mean it's not like it can't be done, someone translated the half-hour long interview with Araki over creating various aspects of JoJo.

2 hours is a bit much though.
>>
>>14249842
Oh, and I brought this up purely because Araki speaks in Tōhoku dialect, which can be so incomprehensible to speakers outside that region that people who aren't from northern Japan generally need subtitles.
>>
>>14249632
Knowing a language isn't binary. People just have different levels of proficiency.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.