[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /m/ think about the Hyperion Cantos?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

File: 1458796551508.jpg (247KB, 580x669px) Image search: [Google]
1458796551508.jpg
247KB, 580x669px
What does /m/ think about the Hyperion Cantos?
>>
>>14204114
I read it ages ago. Don't really remember anything about it. Maybe I should give it another shot someday.
>>
The Hyperion books were pretty good.

But then came Endymion, one of the most painful pieces of shit I've ever read.
>>
Lots of world building and diverse characters with plenty of backstory/motivation. Hyperion is all set up, Fall is the execution, and it's rad.

>>14204333
Endymion is weird, in that it's a good book but tries to shoehorn things in so hard it's easy to think it's a bad book. Definitely did not like it as much as Hyperion/Fall, but if it's really the worst thing you've ever read, I am jealous.
>>
>>14204460

Endymion is really not good.

I don't think Hyperion was a perfect book. For instance i thought the Consul's story with Siri and all that was a boring and overwrought piece of shit.

But Endymion seriously takes the cake. Everything about it is bad. The church becomes mustache-twirlingly evil and populated by cartoon character bad guys. Nemes and her siblings are like something out of some 12 year old edgelord's mind. It tries to take us through all these worlds, that are all really boring. Raul is a huge dumb faggot who bungles his way through every situation literally only surviving because he's the protagonist lol. He has protagonist luck bullshit that makes anime look tame.

Then there's Aenea, a character who is Kudelia Aina Bernstein levels of people just telling you how amazing she is instead of her ever doing anything amazing. Raul's relationship with her is so forced and the absolute low point of the series. Half the story of the book is delivered via Aenea exposition hammer and in the end all the mystery of the Hyperion universe is fucked up because it was SPACE GODS and female technojesus all along...

The worst part is that there was actually a really compelling plotline in there. The entire De Soya plot. Where he ends up fighting the entire holy empire by himself for months and shit. And it's all just skipped over for Raul being insufferable and Aenea being precocious as they wander shitholes no one cares about.

tl'dr it's like shit, from a butt.
>>
>>14204114
Dan Simmons, author of Hyperion
>"Movie SF is, by definition, dumbed down -- there have only been three or four SF movies in the history of film that aspire to the complexity of literary SF. But with books, readers have access to a full-range of sophistication and quality in their reading. If they read dumbed down SF or fantasy, it's their choice to dumb themselves down."

>"It's usually "written and directed" by arrogant 26-year-olds who've read almost nothing in their short, video-sheltered lives, and who think they "know sci-fi" because they grew up watching Battlestar Galactica and Star Wars on video when they weren't reading comic books."

robot animus is dumbed down and inferior to western literary sci-fi
>>
>>14204574

He sounds like a real assclown.
>>
>>14204574
What I get from this quote is the sense of a guy who's been getting shit from people around him for writing in a 'lesser' genre for so long that he now compensates it by going 'Oh, we're not in the same category as THAT garbage.'

I could be wrong, but it sounds like there's a bit of a defensive/insecure edge to that puffing up.
>>
>>14204114
It was entertaining, don't really care about quality anymor at this point in time so I couldn't tell you whetever the books were good or not.
>>
>>14204114
[SHRIKE INTENSIFIES]
>>
>>14204574
I wouldn't trust one word from this faggot, while he wrote two pretty good books in the Hyperion saga the third book was so fucking bad I had to try and remind me that it really wasn't a Young Adult novel and by the end it got so fucking bad that it made me drop the book and never finish the saga, he talks about how movies dumb down the plot but he made a fucking lobotomy on his own plot in the third goddamn book, he can go fuck himself in the ass with his jovian sized ego
>>
>>14204599
He's got a valid point though; at least in terms of blockbusters, sci-fi films are mostly low-brow garbage.
>>
>>14204929
Fuck off back to smelling your farts on your containment board, /lit/cuck
>>
>>14204938
Go back to /v/ or /tv/ or whatever other retard bin you've climbed from.
>>
The irony of Dan Simmons talking shit about lack of complexity when his Endymion books absolutely raped all complexity in his own series.
>>
>>14204574

What is this guy even saying? That movie sci-fi is dumbed down because movies are 2 hours long and books are hundreds of pages long? Is this supposed to surprise anybody? What's his point?
>>
>>14208503
It's not a point, it's a statement of fact.

The sheer limitation of the media forces any adaptation to be dumbed down and even original contents suffer greatly for it.
>>
>>14208503
He's saying that movies are innately inferior forms of media to books because text on its own is always a better medium than any possible combination of audio and visual media.

Also people who make and watch SF movies are retarded children who live in their mothers' basements reading comic books and playing video games and don't know what REAL sci-fi is like.
>>
>>14204114
The first one is really good. Loved every page

>>14204574
People don't really say mecha is anything literary or meaningful. Most of us just watch it because it looks cool.

I think Simmons has a point, that the people who respect movie SF as real art and impactful work are fooling themselves. It's just entertainment. He's a little bit harsher than I'd like though

I agree with him but I also don't believe that everything has to have some deep value in order to warrant spending time on it.
>>
>>14204527
>Then there's Aenea, a character who is Kudelia Aina Bernstein
It's the 'Pax/Gjallarhorn chase Aenea/Kudelia all over the fucking place again.'
>>
>>14211116

I can see it. I'd dare say the IBO characters are better. Mika and Orga are like Raul if he was competent/had any kind of charisma. Kudelia and Aenea fulfill more or less the same role, but they actually show Kudelia as in over her head while Aenea is Jesus throughout.
>>
>>14204114
I absolutely loved the first book, but >>14204527
and others have told me the other ones are pretty bad ;_;
>>
>>14204599
>>14204574
He was mentored by Harlan Ellison. How was he going to be any other way?
>>
>>14213780

Fall of Hyperion is pretty good. It's really the second part, Endymion/Rise of Endymion, that drop the ball. I loved the Hyperion books and finished them within days. The Endymion books on the other hand took weeks because they were a chore to get through.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.