[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Real Robot vs Super Robot

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 13

File: 71zYVpsbvWL._SL1355_.jpg (180KB, 1355x1287px) Image search: [Google]
71zYVpsbvWL._SL1355_.jpg
180KB, 1355x1287px
Did I get it right?

Real Robot = Gundam, Macross, VOTOMS, Patlabor, Gunbuster

Super Robot = Mazinger, Super Sentai, Getter Robot, anything Go Nagai.

So real robot is basically anything that is made as a machine and don't have any kind of magic, also the setting is realistic as the more powerful robots requires factories and all the production dificuilties involved and not just a mad scientist to build them out of nowhere from their own lab.

While super robot, or the robot comes from magic items, or the robot is made from a single scientist who build it inside his own magical lab.
>>
Real robot : sci-fi :: super robot : fantasy
>>
>>14182682

"real robot" and "super robot" are stupid terms that have nothing to do with tech level or setting and should be quietly forgotten, as all they do is make everything confusing and cause idiot flamewars.
>>
You didn't get it right. It's impossible to get it right. No matter what conditions you set out someone is going to post "but lel what about show X". Don't even bother trying to distinguish, it's not worth it.
>>
>>14182682
>Did I get it right?
No, you fucked up right about here
>Real Robot vs Super Robot
>>
>>14182682
Convincingly explain to me which of two """"""""""""genres""""""""""" King Gainer, Tetsujin 28, The Big O, Dancouga, Gunbuster and Escaflowne are. Present flawless arguments as to why they are one or the other, predefining your conditions beforehand. After that, maybe I will accept your terms.
>>
You may as well try and make a distinction between idiots and posters on 4chan.
>>
Time for fun
>>
>>14182779

I can only say about Gunbuster and Escaflowne. The rest I didn't watch.

Gunbuster = "ultra advanced" real robot. Tech is far far too advanced and too powerful. Despite having some stupid weapons like a baseball bat. And even more later it is mass produced with some techs cut.

Escaflowne = super robot. period. you don't see an large factory backing the production or the repair parts of the robot. It is a super robot that runs by magic.
>>
>>14182846
Big O is factory produced robots with repair parts yet runs on magic and fights monster in a setting that may or may not be like the matrix.
Explain that.
>>
>>14182894
It is super robot, no way a single guy would be able to fix and have the resources to have a giant robot combat ready all the time without something bigger backing him, like a repair crew of 10 guys or more.
>>
File: Type Chart.jpg (111KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Type Chart.jpg
111KB, 1000x1000px
>>14182682
Just use this OP, it works great.
>>
>>14182846
I asked you to define parameters. If one of your parameters is "in order to be real robot, it must have a realistic setting and is built and maintained by an elaborate crew"

Neither of these are true for Gunbuster. It takes place primarily in space, which is already unrealistic as fuck, and then it also expects you to believe that people have time to spend on Gunbuster, their special superweapon, while also servicing their fuckhueg starship and the small army of mecha inside of it, which if all piled together, might end up equalling Gunbuster's height and mass.

By contrast, Escaflowne is much more realistic given its premise. It's just that the premise itself is unrealistic. Even still, you clearly don't remember Escaflowne that well. When it broke down, they couldn't repair it. They had to call in a team of Escudo maintenance men to fix it.

Be clear about what you mean.
>>
>>14182931
So real robots are just opposite of it,a single person fixing a giant robot without any backing or crew?
Wow.
>>
If the focus is never on the robot's repairs, how do we assume that there's no crew working on it? Is it just because we haven't been shown the crew? That doesn't mean crewmen don't exist.
>>
>>14182846
>Gunbuster
>real robot
>>
>>14182931
So the mk-II, Zeta, and ZZ are all super robots then?
>>
>>14183057
>Zeta Gundam
What the fuck?
>>
>>14182846
>Escaflowne = super robot
Escaflowne itself runs on magical dragon gem heart but frame isn't magical in itself. Other Guymelefs are also engineered and obviously designed with practicality in mind.
Just replace dragon hearts with fusion or minovsky reactor and you get a mobile suit.

>Gunbuster = "ultra advanced" real robot

Space Opera. Narration make it seems all powerful and to run on GUTS! but technology behind it is sound and, somewhat, grounded in real life. But because of how story unfolds, Gunbuster as a series is more super than real, even if mecha itself is opposite.
Now, Diebuster is more interesting case, as it is pure real mecha story, with main protagonist having enough of technology slapped on that she can act like she is in a veeeeeeeeeeryyyyyy super show.
>>14182987
also, this, for way smoother explanation than I can manage with my broken english.
>>
>>14182682
>Gundam
>Macross
don't have any kind of magic
Fold crystals? Song energy? Biosensor? Psycoframe?
>>
>>14184319
Don't forget time travel.
>>
File: Getter-Robo-Go-02-0174-0175.png (702KB, 1659x1300px) Image search: [Google]
Getter-Robo-Go-02-0174-0175.png
702KB, 1659x1300px
>>14182682
>Getter Robot
>Real
yeah no.
>>
>>14185603
>Getter Robo
>not Real
Uh, yeah.
>>
File: s_not_even_fighting_anyone.jpg (70KB, 300x222px) Image search: [Google]
s_not_even_fighting_anyone.jpg
70KB, 300x222px
The only way to tell the difference is to ask if attack names are called out.

Attack names are usually called out = super robot show

Attacks are made without calling out their names = real robot show

Seriously, this is the only way to be certain.
>>
File: 1461149871113.png (431KB, 569x336px) Image search: [Google]
1461149871113.png
431KB, 569x336px
>>14182682
>caring about such a twaddle distinction
>suggesting it even matters in the end
Why do you do this to yourself?

It's all entertainment. Watch it and have fun and don't bother making nonsense distinctions.
>>
>>14185626
>>14185603
>>
>>14184256
Astonaige is a miracle worker, worth far more than 10 regular mechanics.
>>
File: War_Machine_Vol_2_1_Textless.jpg (166KB, 700x987px) Image search: [Google]
War_Machine_Vol_2_1_Textless.jpg
166KB, 700x987px
>>14182935
But War Machine is clearly super!
>>
>>14185657
That's why it works great.
>>
>>14185657
I don't think that's how gatling guns work.
>>
>>14185626
What if they're called out only sometimes, like in The Big O? What if the robot only ever punches things, like Tetsujin? What if one person in a show calls out attacks, but no one else does, like in Nadesico?
>>
>>14185836
>What if they're called out only sometimes, like in The Big O?
It's a super robot sometimes

>What if the robot only ever punches things, like Tetsujin?
Does it call out attacks when punching things? If so, it is a super robot. If not, then it is a real robot.

>What if one person in a show calls out attacks, but no one else does, like in Nadesico?
Then there's one super robot and everything else is real robot.

Come on, it's not that hard.
>>
>>14185836
>>14185855
Tetsujin predates the terms and is exempt.
>Then there's one super robot and everything else is real robot
>when they are the exact same machines with the only difference being that one dweeb acts differently from the others
>>
>>14185869
>when they are the exact same machines with the only difference being that one dweeb acts differently from the others
Exactly, the super-ness of a robot is imbued by the pilot.
>>
>>14185887
You still make no sense. Also, I guess by your standard, manga Shin Getter is more RR than it is SR, since its attack names get called out even less than Big O's?
>>
>>14185896
Why can't you understand such a simple concept? The distinction is due to the pilot.
>>
>>14185936
So Shin is a Real then. Alright.
>>
>>14185943
Since you're choosing to ignore all the times they yell "getter tomahawk" or what have you, then sure, it's a real robot to you.
>>
File: real robots.png (333KB, 634x482px) Image search: [Google]
real robots.png
333KB, 634x482px
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_robot
>>
>>14185973
Please, point to where and how many times in the manga they shout that while piloting Shin.
>>
>>14185977
Please, point to where and how many times they shout out the attacks in Big O first.
>>
File: buddhabot.jpg (223KB, 486x500px) Image search: [Google]
buddhabot.jpg
223KB, 486x500px
>>14182779
>King Gainer
Super.
>Tetsujin 28
Super.
>Big O
Super.
>Dancouga
Super.
>Gunbuster
Super.
>Escaflowne
Super.

>arguments, predefined conditions
Any attempts to quantify whether a show or mech is real or super will fail. Saying that this quality is real-esque, or that such-and-such is about 30% super, or that this show is primarily real with some super elements, is all so much pointless masturbation that none of you will ever agree upon. All things can be categorized, and without room for doubt, but only by those with the Wisdom to see the truth.

When you have meditated on mecha as I have, you will come to know Enlightenment.
What is the sound of one Leo exploding?
>>
>>14185996
Don't try and dodge the question, faggot.
>>
>>14186008
Oh great, it's the enlightened shitposter again
>>
File: mechabuddha.jpg (49KB, 600x457px) Image search: [Google]
mechabuddha.jpg
49KB, 600x457px
>>14186025
When Mazinger was obsolete and ready to leave this world, he asked some mechabeasts to pile up wood in the forest. Setting himself firmly in the center of the funeral pyre, he set Breast Fire around the edges.

"O Mazinger," shouted one mechabeast, "Is it hot in there?"

"Only a stupid person like yourself would be concerned with such a matter," replied Mazinger.

The flames rose, and Mazinger melted down.
>>
>>14186008
what part of tetsujin is super
>>
File: choudenjibuddha.jpg (1MB, 828x1280px) Image search: [Google]
choudenjibuddha.jpg
1MB, 828x1280px
>>14186079
Shining Gundam was able to understand the potency of emptiness, that viewpoint that nothing exists except in its relationship of objectivity and subjectivity. One day, Shining Gundam, in a mood of sublime emptiness, was sitting under a tree. Flowers began to fall around him.

"We are praising you for your discourse on emptiness," the gods whispered to him.

"But I have not spoken of emptiness," said Shining Gundam.

"You have not spoken of emptiness, and we have not heard emptiness," responded the gods, and blossoms showered upon Shining Gundam like rain.
>>
>>14186079
It's arms and legs are somewhat tube like, therefore it is a super robot.
>>
>>14182682
>Did I get it right? Real Robot = Gundam, Macross, VOTOMS, Patlabor, Gunbuster
>Super Robot = Mazinger, Super Sentai, Getter Robot, anything Go Nagai.

No you didn't get it right.
Of the all the series you talked about the only one that can be considered a real robot series is Patlabor.
>>
>>14186152
Why aren't Gundam, Macross, and Gunbuster real robots?
>>
>>14186154
How Can They Be Real If Their Eyes Aren't Real?
>>
>>14186163
Monoeyes > Visors > twin eyes
Gunbuster > Macross > Gundam

Fight me.
>>
>>14186152
The correct answers are:

>Real: Gundam, Macross, VOTOMS, Patlabor
>Super: Mazinger, Sentai, Getter, Gunbuster, Nagai
>>
>>14186180
Kill yourself.
>>
>>14182682
It's THIS thread again...
>>
>>14182682
Best way to think about this is to consider the aesthetics; a military or practical aesthetic (note AESTHETIC, ie what it appears to be, not what it actually is) defines real robot. The actual mechanics don't really matter.

And even then, it's not clear cut because you have shows like Dancouga and Dai-Guard that straggle the line.
>>
>>14186282
For things that fall in the middle, they're a combination of "super" and "real," giving them the title of "surreal robot"
>>
>>14186282
Dancouga and Dai-Guard look pretty heroic.
Then again, so do Gundams, which look nothing like the utilitarian war machines I'm regularly told they are by the internet.
>>
>>14186282
Dancouga and Dai-Guard are both Super.
>>
>>14186290
No, there is not.
>>
>>14186358
Are you telling me that Big O isn't surreal?
>>
>>14186400
Not really, no.
>>
Exactly where do people get these weird misconceptions of super robots from? Not only are there a ton of exceptions to these arbitrary rules they are throwing down, some of the earliest super robots don't even fit these rules.

Getters needed a huge supporting staff, had mechanics, used some guns in certain manga stories, ran out of ammunition, etc. Even Mazinger needed Photon power labs to maintain it (even though it was built by one madman in his basement.

Yes, I know the "rules" around "real" robots are just as nonsensical.
>>
>>14186443
>listening to people with "rules"
There's your problem.
The only rule is that there are no rules.
>>
>>14186443
I have a feeling this is all done by fans of "real robots" to pretend that the shows they watch are more sophisticated or whatever stupid metric they measure entertainment value out of
>>
>>14182682
Yea you basically got it down. Don't get too tied up in it though, cause when you get down to it most of the stuff is teetering on the edge (Gundam has Newtypes which is essentially X-Men tier super powers, Gunbuster is basically real up until the actual Gunbuster appears). Most posters on /m/ will shit on you for bringing up either term as most here just focus on...
>Story
>Characters
>Art
>Mech-Design
>Fanservice
>OST
...and after that it doesn't reall matter if its a gritty war drama or a bunch of students fighting kaiju.
>>
>>14189991

No, he does not.
>>
>>14190040
Keyword "basically" After that it really doesn't matter.
>>
>>14190074

Still make no sense.
>>
>>14189991
>(Gundam has Newtypes which is essentially X-Men tier super powers, Gunbuster is basically real up until the actual Gunbuster appears)
Completely agree. The setting is 'real robot', but they pull enough super robot shenanigans towards the end to really count.
>>
>>14190083
Yes, it does, retard.
>>
>>14190413

No it doesn't, dumbass.
>>
>>14190429
Found the retard.
>>
>>14185626
But plenty of UC Gundam pilots shout attack names sometimes.
>>
>>14190513
>But plenty of UC Gundam pilots shout attack names sometimes.

I said "Attack names are USUALLY called out = super robot show". That means they're called out more often than not.
>>
>>14190521
So F-16s are super robots?
>>
>>14186163
because eye sockets are real
>>
They're not categories, they're extremes on a spectrum.
>>
>>14190521
That anon is wrong, so it doesn't really matter
>>
>>14193274
>I've just read some Wikipedia articles about how cool UC Gundam is and haven't seen anything other than 08th MS Team but let me pretend to be an expert.
Thread posts: 80
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.