[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there a reason to watch Macross if I think the mechs look

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 3

File: 46k.jpg (1MB, 3269x2400px) Image search: [Google]
46k.jpg
1MB, 3269x2400px
Is there a reason to watch Macross if I think the mechs look unappealing, the singing sounds dumb and love-triangles always make me unhappy?
>>
>>14164916
>I don't like it
>Should I watch it?
Make your own decisions. We're not forcing you to watch.

But if you didn't watch it, then don't shit about it.
>>
>>14164916
>Singing sounds dumb
Then listen to the instrumentals dumbfuck.

Delta's Brass Accents are comfy
>>
>>14164916
Shitposting in Macross threads.
Don't really need to watch the shows to do that though.
>>
HEY EVERYBODY
>>
>love-triangles always make me unhappy?
Best girls win in macross so it shouldn't be a problem.
>>
>>14165014
HIKARI O MEZASE
>>
>>14165181
ODOROU ZE
>>
>>14165282
DANCIN' ON THE PLANET DANCE
>>
>>14164916

Honestly, yes there is.

I used to think that Macross was dumb too, because when you boil the franchise down to memes and only talk about the crazy stuff it sounds really stupid.

But then a friend of mine made me give the original series a shot, and I slowly fell in love with the franchise. The original series is actually REALLY well written. Its animation quality dips and flounders from time to time, but the writing is some grade A old school science fiction, on par with Heinlein. Does this show end with signing shitty jpop at aliens? Yes. But by the time you get to that point, I promise you that scene will 100% make sense and indeed you will have trouble imagining how it could have gone any other way.

Thats the real strength of the Macross franchise: taking what should be (and objectively are) totally absurd premises and then building up to them in such a way that it actually makes perfect sense in context.

And then the later shows build on foundation laid down by the former in a way that is honestly kind of hard to describe. Like, the entire point of view and motivation of the main character of Macross 7 makes no goddamn sense... unless you know how Space War One ended in SDF Macross. In that case, it was inevitable that someone like Basara would come along eventually, inspired by what is (in their timeline) arguably the single most important event in the history of the human species.

Crazy things will happen, and those things will be fun, but there is a lot of really layered worldbuilding and slow boil plot development that goes on in Macross. That stuff just isnt as much fun to boil down into memes or references, though.
>>
>>14165390
>but the writing is some grade A old school science fiction, on par with Heinlein
Ha. Here I was, thinking /lit/ couldn't be more stupid.
>>
File: 14295000934_9c0db7c40d_b.jpg (240KB, 683x1024px) Image search: [Google]
14295000934_9c0db7c40d_b.jpg
240KB, 683x1024px
>>14164916
>I think the mechs look unappealing
Motherfucker what
They have pirate hats. PIRATE HATS. How shit can your taste possibly be?
>>
File: 2016-04-27 07.36.51.jpg (400KB, 1076x1413px) Image search: [Google]
2016-04-27 07.36.51.jpg
400KB, 1076x1413px
>>14165467
What's your point?
>>
>>14164916
WE AT ROBOTECHX.COM
>>
>>14165467
>>14165740
>pirates
>not one of the worst design choices imaginable
>>
>>14164916
No reason, then. I'm sure you can find other, more interesting mech shows for you, anon. We appreciate everyone's opinions here
>>
>>14165764
Ayy
>>
>>14165754
Get a load of this Narutard faggot.
>>
>>14165775
Ninjas are just as bad if not worse
>>
>>14165467
Wait, is that Ozma's unit?
Jesus christ that headband looks dumb.
>>
>>14164916

Macross is pretty shit. The singing idol thing and the eh mech designs really don't help the series. The 80s ones are ok to an extent but as far as mecha animes goes it's not quite as good as Votoms, Dougram, Xabungle, Lazyner, Panzer Galient etc.
>>
>>14164916
>Nothing about this looks interesting to me
>should I watch it anyway even though I'll probably not like it.
Fuck off and make your own decision manchild.
>>
>>14164916
Well, you could always stick to shows like Infinite Stratos and Undefeated Bahamut
Aren't those the shows you enjoy, OP? :^)
>>
>>14165942
>manchild as insult
>on /m/
>>
>>14165952
Yes, Because instead of just checking it out for himself like a man would do, OP came to bitch that he doesn't the CORE ELEMENTS OF THE SHOW, But then asks like a child "hey guys, I don't like the CORE ELEMENTS OF THE SHOW, should I watch it anyway?"
>>
>>14165990
Okay pot
>>
Is Macross II in a different timeline? Should I watch it or pretend it doesn't exist?
>>
>>14166228
>Is Macross II in a different timeline?
Yes.
>Should I watch it or pretend it doesn't exist?
I dunno.
>>
>>14166228
Flip a coin
>>
>>14164916
If you're talking about SDF Macross, yes. Because singing and triangles are a fairly small part of the show. The show is about fighting giant aliens with space planes that transform into robots and it is good.

The sequels, however, are all triangular songs and it's not worth the effort sitting through all that even if you do like the robot designs and action.
>>
>>14168665
>Because singing and triangles are a fairly small part of the show.
hey, you might've mistaken Robotech for SDF: Macross.
>>
>>14168670
Negative. You're only remembering the dumb parts.
>>
>>14164916
SDF and Plus have some really well done character work and even some lines of dialogue.

Plus action is pure bliss every /m/an should watch.
You are off the hook after those two however.
>>
>>14168729
Plus, good character work?
Are you kidding?
>>
>>14168729
>Plus have some really well done character work
I know this is bait but that's still retarded everytime I see it.
>>
>is there a reason to watch something where I find the main elements stupid and unappealing?

I've seen worst shitposting before
>>
>>14164916
Nope.
Macross is all about album sales and love triangles.
Even if you did like the mechs I'd still recommend the games over the actual anime since you're not into love triangle stories (me neither).
>>
>>14168729
Plus does not have character work as a strength
>>
>>14164926
This, I mean it's basically swimming in idol culture so if you're not into that it comes off as kind of dumb.
>>
>>14169178
I've only played VF X2. What else is good?
>>
>>14171544
ultimate frontier
>>
>>14171663
Are PSPs region locked? I have a lot of mixed answers online.
>>
Okay, where do I start?
>>
>>14168665
>Because singing and triangles are a fairly small part of the show. The show is about fighting giant aliens with space planes that transform into robots and it is good.
SDF Macross is the 1984 of /m/. Everyone claims to have to have watched it because it's a beloved classic, but when they actually try to talk about it becomes incredibly clear that they either know nothing about it or just glanced through the wikipedia summary.

This is most untruthful thing I've ever seen said about SDF Macross. Many, many episodes consist entirely of love triangle bullshit and crappy singing, with not a robot to be seen. You could tell me that Minmay is not obnoxious and you'd be closer to the truth than this guy right here.
>>
>>14173677
If you have time, start with SDF Macross. 36 episodes. If you just want a taste of the series before wanting to invest into 36 episodes, watch the two hour movie Do You Remember Love which is a condensed retelling of the original series. I recommend you watch Macross Plus at any time. Macross 7 is quite controversial and I plain don't like Frontier but if you really like those three I mentioned I'd give those a shot as well. Haven't watched Macross Zero so no input there
>>
>>14173677
Watch SDF and Plus, skip the rest, it's shoddy made shit made to sell ugly J-pop albums.
You're not missing out either because animation goes to shit thanks to Satelight being stuck in the early 00' for Frontier and Delta, series peaked at Plus.
>>
>>14173677
Macross II: Lovers Again
>>
>>14173688
To be fair I think he's kinda true though.

Yes, the love triangle thing was there very faintly in the background during the zentaradi war, but it's only after the war ends the love triangle became a major part of the show.

>>14173677
There's absolutely no series that you should start with anything but production order, this rule applies to all books, films, music albums and chinese cartoons, ignore >>14173722 and watch everything to make your own opinion.
>>
Metal gears are evolving
>>
>>14174842
There are occasionally exceptions to production order but only if the creators specifically intend it as such, which usually means they made a mistake or something the first time around.

No /m/ series I can think of though.
>>
>>14173655
No, they are not.
Also as long as it is on firmware ver 6.60 or lower you can just install custom firmware without a pandora battery or all the bullshit we used to have to go through, and then you can just download the .iso for Macross Triangle Frontier.

But be warned:
You HAVE to listen to Basara's stupid fucking song, EVERY time he shows up, and the game won't let you kill him. Songs in these games have special effects like healing you and your allies, causing damage to everything within range (The Marduk Song Of Death FTW), or in Basara's case making you unable to accurately target him.
>>
>>14174842
>absolutely no series that you should start with anything but production order
Disagree.
0080: War in the Pocket is the best introduction to Gundam since it only covers the basics, focuses only on the tragedy of people caught up in a war they don't want, and is movie length so much easier to convince people to give it a try.
I do agree that the three full length series shows of Early UC, CCA, and Unicorn should be watched in that order, but after you've seen the original Mobile Suit Gundam you can watch any of the side stories, AU, or Late UC in any order.
>>
>>14164916
Only the original seems like it's special. Plus gets love for being largely idolshit free and having cool action. II gets nothing but shit, although more and more people are realizing that it's not actually terrible, and it's the most like the original.

7 is a cult show.

Frontier looks like trash.

Delta looks even worse in concept, but nicer visually.
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.