[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When does Zeta Gundam get bad? I just finished episode 27 and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 6

File: 11153.jpg (49KB, 225x341px) Image search: [Google]
11153.jpg
49KB, 225x341px
When does Zeta Gundam get bad? I just finished episode 27 and I really can't see what warrants all the negativity to it. It has it's faults like the bad sound cues, bad music some times, all of Beltorchika, and Fa and Kamille's fights, but it also has it's good. Like the art/animation, the fights, a few of the songs, and some of the characters. I see it as a solid 7.5/10 show and don't understand why it's regarded as bad, enlighten me please.
>>
>>14159827
You got memed on. No big deal. Watch things to draw conclusions on it, take a break before ZZ due to major tone shifts, etc etc.
>>
>>14159827
Finish it, make your own opinion. Don't let anyone else influence your experience.

When does X get good/bad threads are cancer
>>
It's a meme that snapshit has been trying to propagate. It's received mostly high praise here until people started memeing. Where do you think all the Yazan love comes from?
>>
>>14159827
It's already bad right from the start, you just have shit taste.

>>14159837
But the "Zeta is bad" isn't a meme, it's the truth.
>>
>>14159848
Why do you think this?
>>
>>14159827
It's not. It's just a meme like >>14159837 says. Whenever /m/ does best Gundam show polls it always falls in the top 3-5. Obviously not a great metric but it gets more shit on this board than anywhere else, you would think it would be lower. Vocal minority and all that.
>>
>>14159827
I thought it was bad from the get go
>>
It all depends on if the characters click for you really.

I fucking hated everyone in it, but other people don't seem to mind. And that's fine.
>>
>>14159827
dont think it's gonna, pal. I just finished episode 36 and its been smooth sailing
>>
>It's
>decimals on your rating scale
>not having a finely tuned dank-o-meter

Stop posting here or git gud.
>>
>>14159827
Only SEEDfags and brazilians hate on it. Congrats OP, you've got good taste.
>>
>>14159827
Most people like Zeta. It has the all-time highest TV ratings of any Gundam show. The shitposters on /m/ (as seen >>14159848 here) are a vocal minority.
>>
>>14159932
>It has the all-time highest TV ratings of any Gundam show.
They're lower than 0079 reruns, and they're actually fairly low compared to other successful 80s tv series. What made Zeta successful was the model kit line, but it was already comparatively niche, in spite of following the cultural phenomenon that the original Gundam became.
>>
>>14159827
>bad music some times

I personally disagree, but w/e .

The thing is, very few people think that Zeta is bad, most people rate it from 7.5-9.5 . There is a small minority of people who really hate it because they don't get what Tomino was trying to do with the plot, and because many of the characters are unlikable and they think that being likable = being well written.
>>
>>14159932
>he dislikes Zeta
>he must be a shitposter!
You Zetafags are completely deluded.
>>
>>14159984
>they think that being likable = being well written
What? No, not at all.

Some people just have different priorities in fiction. If every member of the cast is a violent insane asshole, it's hard to feel any connection to the show.
>>
>>14159999
Not that anon, but I enjoy people are increasingly polarized about Zeta. I like a good fire.
>>
>>14160029
If you're a pleb. It's fiction. Please rid us of your self-insert garbage tendencies.
>>
>>14159984
The cyber newtypes could hardly be considered well written
>>14160055
People constantly being shitty to each other for dumb reasons isn't very enjoyable
>>
>>14159827
How funny! I was just about to ask the same question, but in reverse. Currently at episode 18 and waiting for it to get good. So far, Brights wife has been the most interesting character. But I will still finish Zeta, just to see.
>>
>>14159827
I remember it being great all the way through. Amazing OST. Possibly the least episodic of all Gundam TV series as damn near every episode picks up from the previous one. Definetely the Gundam TV series with the least re-used scenes/animation. Great mechas all around. Story/characters are good, if you get into them. Damn fine series.
>>
>>14160075
>Currently at episode 18 and waiting for it to get good
yfw
>>
>>14159827
dude the series starts with the mc PUNCHING HIS RIVAL IN THE FACE

did you truly ever expect it to get BAD? it's only up from there!
>>
Zeta is a work of duplicitous quality. The animation is bad/good, the plot is bad/good, the characters are bad/bad/good, motivations are bad/good. I found it worth it. I'll need a few years before I go back.
>>
You should realize by now that any opinion you get from 4chan is hyperbole
>>
>>14159827
/m/ is full of retard contrarians.
>>
>>14160070

I disagree. Four and Rosamia were done very well in my opinion, though I do think that Tomino could have made them one character and nothing would have been lost really.
>>
>>14160245
>Rosamia
Who?
>>
>>14160245

Even if you really like zeta i don't see how you can say Four and Rosamia were done very well. Their writing was incredibly schizophrenic and in the case of Rosamia, completely nonsensical.

I really found Zeta a downgrade from 0079 due to the majority of the main cast being unlikeable and autistic beyond even anime standards imo..The only thing that saved the show for me was the fact that so many of them ended up dying terribly toward the end. Especially Katz, fuck that little twat.
>>
>>14160316
Eh, schizophrenic was the name of the game for those two. Otherwise you reminded me why I liked Zeta the more it went on.
>>
>>14160245
Rosamia was unnecessary and her arc was a mess and just bizarre. On the other hand, Four did serve an important purpose in the narrative, but, like most things in the show, was used mostly for the purpose of cheap, hamfisted melodrama
>>
>>14159827

It doesn't. I don't get this whole Zeta is bad meme. It's easily in the top 5 Gundam series. It's like criticizing Empire Strikes Back. It's just being pretentious.
>>
>>14160358
Not everyone is you, and that's a false comparison. I find Zeta bland and mostly uninteresting, but I'm slogging through it regardless.
Why do you like it so much? What is the appeal?
>>
>>14160358
>It's like criticizing Empire Strikes Back.
>all criticism is negative
>muh hugbox grail mentality

Lmao.

VI is better.
>>
Zeta Gundam is among the best the franchise has to offer. It being hated now here is just bitter contrarianism to how popular it used to be here.
>>
If Zeta just spent less time trying to force in battles every episode and put the gained time to good use it would be the best series in the franchise. Currently it's a close second to 0079.
>>
>>14160316
>>14160338

The Rosamia arc was vital and well done for two reasons IMO

1. The difference between Four and Kamille's relationship to Kamille and Rosamia's relationship. With Four the Newtype connection was under the guise of a romantic relationship. But later on with Rosamia Kamille realized that A. he had the exact same connection with Rosamia that he did with Four B. They were acting out a sibling dynamic rather than a romantic dynamic. This lead him to realize that his relationship with Four was actually not a romance and helped him learn something about newtype connections and romance in one shot.

In fact this aspect needed both of them because if Four stayed around Kamille probably wouldn't have figured it out.

2. Foreshadowing Char's acts in CCA when Char admits that he is pro-cyber newtype in Zeta. That conversation comes about because they were dealing with a cyber newtype, i.e Rosamia.

In this case it could have easily been Four instead of Rosamia though.

>>14160407

The dense and despondent atmosphere, the music, the really intense medium scale battles where the MC is usually struggling just like everyone else. The slow burning plot that is packed with subtle character development. The characters, who demonstrate how fucked up UC for the people living in it and are really interesting basket cases. Char, Haman and Scirroco having their three way treacherous face off. The expansion of the newtype concept. The way they build off the setting of 0079. The way Jerid's negative development mirrors Kamille's positive development in a really interesting way. Yazan violating people, etc
>>
>>14160738
And then ZZ ruined all of that.
>>
>The slow burning plot that is packed with subtle character development.

The first time I watched Zeta I disliked it; it was only when I decided to give it another try that I noticed how good the characters are and how much of a purpose they all serve (even Katz). Maybe I just wasn't paying enough attention but I think some of the problen a lot of people have with the show is the structure of it being all over the place, especially coming off 0079.
>>
>newfags now all believe Zeta is shit instead of a masterpiece like several years back

I haven't watched Zeta in years but you fucks are almost convincing me it's bad these days. I really need to rewatch it.
>>
>>14160738
>The Rosamia arc was vital
So vital she got completely cut out from the movies.
>>
>>14160922
>watching the movies that switch between old 80's animation and new animation at the drop of a hat

here is your (you)
>>
>>14159827
>When does Zeta Gundam get bad?
>I see it as a solid 7.5/10 show

That's the whole thing. It's a decent show, I would call it more like a 6/10 myself, it's not "bad". But it tends to be held up as this 10/10 masterpiece and the crowning achievement of Gundam, when it's simply not that or even close. That's where the hate comes from. False expectations resulting in disappointment and frustration.
>>
>>14160922
That's not really a good comparison, since the movies cut plenty of vital scenes. One that really annoyed me was the cutting of Char's conversation with Amuro after his speech in Dakar. Actually, almost all of the Dakar segment was cut if memory serves.
>>
>>14160936
>almost all of the Dakar segment was cut if memory serves.
The whole thing was removed. And rightfully so, it had no relevance on the plot or characters.
>>
>>14160938
>it had no relevance on the plot or characters.

are you actually retarded

https://youtu.be/avh-mzdnVSo?t=3m38s
>>
>>14160948
>are you actually retarded
Did you watch the series? Because right after the speech the character themselves say the population won't hear it and then they move on to the next battle like the speech never happened.
>>
>>14160952
Oh, so you are retarded. Thanks for confirming.
>>
>>14160812

Tomino did something really weird with plot for sure.

>>14160952
That speech made the federation abandon their official support for the Titans. There is no way that they could have beaten the Titans at the end otherwise.
>>
>>14159932
>chink eye nip
>good taste
lol no. they can't even see further than their own waifus
>>
>>14160722
if zeta is among the best gundam has to offer, then gundam is a very horrible series
>>
I just started it and watched the first six episodes today.

I'm waiting for it to get better.

>I just stole a prototype mobile suit from a mercenary group, what could go wrong?
>WHAAAT! THEY KILLED MY MOTHER! OH MY GOD HOW COULD THIS HAVE HAPPENED!

Kamille is such a special child.
>>
>>14161075
>Tomino did something really weird with plot for sure.

I can't bring myself to hold the weird plot structure against it too much because it seems to come from being overly ambitious rather than incompetence. It's got so many characters and concepts that all play off each other that sometimes they have to fall by the wayside to make room for something else and the obligatory robot fight.
>>
>>14161097
How is that at all justified
Kamillies mum literally dindu nuffin
>>
>>14161075
>That speech made the federation abandon their official support for the Titans. There is no way that they could have beaten the Titans at the end otherwise.

Things that did not happen.
>>
>>14161088
I'm pretty sure it's seen more as a big deal for chink eyed nips to favor your anime than Western weeaboos desu.
>>
So I'm currently watching Victory Gundam, does it stay consistent the whole series or does it ever get worse? It's probably the most exciting Gundam series I've seen so far. Fucking uso parachuting into mobile suits, dropping buildings on yellow jackets, killing everything with fucking vulcans. I didn't expect to like it so much so quickly, even if Uso's tsun attitude towards the League Militaire is getting pretty old.
>>
>>14159827
It doesn't. It's really quite good. There's a vocal minority who either think it's shit because it's not 79 or they think ZZ is God's cock and that Zeta is shit for whatever reason (i can't understand these people at all so I cannot explain why they hate Zeta, and i liked ZZ too)
>>
>>14159827
Also what bad music? It's got a good enough soundtrack that i actually felt compelled to buy a copy.
>>
people saying Z its bad seriously needs to rewatch the show
>>
>>14160169
I agree, that's why this thread is full of people saying it's great and the "zeta is bad" opinion is just a meme
>>
>>14160738
>The slow burning plot that is packed with subtle character development
HAHAHA!

If there's one thing Zeta does well, it's NOT the characters and plot.
>>
>>14162098
Pretty consistent, in my opinion, but I'm sure you'll get a few meme replies about it.
The last 5 - 6 episodes are, while I do love them and I think the ending is up there with Zeta and 0079 as one of the best in Gundam, pretty weird in a lot of ways. But Uso changes his opinion toward the League Militaire and a lot of other things as the story goes on. Like with Zeta, there's a LOT of little subtle character and plot development that constantly goes on and is easily missed. It's one of those series, like Zeta, that greatly benefits from a rewatch since you'll always catch something you missed the first time, and you'll understand the characters and plot a lot better. Definitely one of, if not my favourite, Gundam series.
>>
>>14162098
There's some parts were the plot goes a bit retarded, but even if the plot was consistantly 10x as retarded as it is at its worst it'd still be pretty good if only because Uso is that enjoyable to watch fight.
And like the other Anon said the ending is great.
>>
>>14159827
It's because /m/ likes bad shows and hates on the few good ones.
>>
>>14161104

I think it is Tomino weird, and Tomino weird = good weird. I find that character arcs are less in your face than in most anime, and you have a whole bunch developing slowly simultaneously. Like Reccoca's arc lasts for well over 10 episodes before she finally defects - when you watch it the second time through you really notice how early Tomino started building up the arc. Where some people think that it comes out of nowhere because they weren't paying attention her earlier when the focus was more on other characters getting the payoff from how they had been developing for the 10-15 episodes before. It keeps the show interesting.

>>14162130
Whats wrong with the characters and plot then ?

>>14162098
It may have the best battles in the franchise, thats for sure. It will never get dull for that alone.
>>
>>14162415
Reccoa's arc is the most obvious example. But there are other weird bits where the plot feels like it's trying to force in more stuff, good stuff though, than it can really carry. For example they spend a good few episodes making a big deal about getting Kamille back to space with the rest of the AUEG. It's a great part of the show and has important character development as it's the first time that Kamille really has to work without Quattro. Then he gets back to space and the Argama and we learn that Quattro seems to have taken a casual stroll down to earth to sit in on the government vote on the Titans. Both bits are good amd mostly essential to the show it just feels really strange how they're tied together. I agree with what >>14160728 says about the "every epsiode needs a robot fight" format not working very well for Zeta; it just leaves it with less room for everything else that it wants to do.
>>
>>14162098
Victory is my favorite Tomino
>>
>>14159827
'Zeta is shit' is a meme created by newfags who love ZZ.
>>
>>14163891
Hey please do not leave your posts lying around.
>>14163876
>>14163284
>>14163316
Do us all a favor and clean them up.

Both are good, stop fighting about dumb shit.
>>
>>14163891
>'Zeta is shit' is a meme created by newfags who love ZZ.
This fan-war meme is silly.
>>
>>14159827
I actually think the first half was noticeably weaker than the second half, so if you enjoyed that it's only going to get better.
>>
>>14165134
I'm the opposite.
First third: fucking golden, best Gundam has to offer me
Second third: a fucking drag, nothing makes sense
Final third: fucking great
>>
>>14161075
>There is no way that they could have beaten the Titans at the end otherwise.
Are you kidding? They beat the Titans just fine and they were beating the Titans just fine before Dakar Speech. Hell, for all we had see the Titans just had Scirocco and Jamaican in space.
>>
>>14165134
The first part is also the best for me. Middle is awful and ruined a decent ending.
>>
File: BEAR.jpg (2MB, 1240x1748px) Image search: [Google]
BEAR.jpg
2MB, 1240x1748px
>>14161097
>Tee-taans
>Mercs.
you know it would cool if we got more fluff on PMC and merc. companies in the UC, I want to see a weird gang of Gelgoogs and GM fighting pirates near Jupiter
>>
I see the zetafag master race is still shitting up the board.
>>
>>14165154
>First third: fucking golden, best Gundam has to offer me
What the fuck is wrong with you people?
Do you just like shitty storytelling, whiny protagonists and mediocre battles? Is that the "" best Gundam has to offer" to you? Are you actually serious?
>>
>>14166092
How can you not enjoy Kamille's raging autism?
>>
>>14167306
>Jerid makes an offhand snide remark that 'Kamille' sounds like a girl's name
>Kamille has an autistic fit and decks Jerid, in front of a whole bunch of police and Titans
>He's understandably arrested and jailed for assaulting a military officer
>His lawyer pays bail, MP guarding him calls him a brat
>He goes into another autistic rage and punches the MP, before escaping and causing a manhunt
>He steals a police car and rides to the military base, where all the Titans are testing the Mark IIs
>He steals a lightly guarded Gundam and tracks down the MP that "bullied" him, before trying to kill him with the vulcans with an evil laugh
>His main method of communication later on the series is either punching people in the face, being an antisocial fuckhead, or fighting with Fa
>Other characters have to be even stupider (Four, Rosamia, Sarah, Katz) in order to make him look normal by comparison

There's autistic mech protagonists, and then there's Kamille. He gets his own special tier of autism, exclusively for him alone.
>>
File: latest[1].jpg (26KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
26KB, 640x480px
>>14167441
>He gets his own special tier of autism, exclusively for him alone.
LISTEN TO MY SONG
>>
>>14167441
This sets up his development for the future though. Keep in mind that the Titans also beat him way harder than they could have whilst they held him in custody.
>>
>>14167441
Yeah, he's great. Doesn't he say he has issues?
>>
>>14167480

The Titans didn't beat him at all while he was in custody. Jerid has two of his buddies hold him down so he can kick him, but once he's captured they don't touch him. And given that he's out cold we don't see if Jerid beat him more than that, i.e. more than necessary to subdue him.
>>
>>14167512

That's false, when in captivity he gets hit a few more times. When he attacks the MP the MP had already stuck him without any real provocation other than Kamille mouthing back to him a little bit.
>>
>>14168399
Didn't the MP just throw his folder/notebook at Kamille for Kamille badmouthing him? Kamille escalates shit so fast it's hard to tell whether the beatings he gets are unjustified or not.
>>
>>14167441
>He goes into another autistic rage and punches the MP, before escaping and causing a manhunt
>He steals a police car and rides to the military base, where all the Titans are testing the Mark IIs
>He steals a lightly guarded Gundam and tracks down the MP that "bullied" him, before trying to kill him with the vulcans with an evil laugh
this is literally euphoric and not in the fedora way. its so fucking awesome lmao
>>
>>14167441
Yes, they are called newtypes. Kamille is hilariously broken and edgy in the beginning but he grows past all that.
>>
>>14168460

Hmm if this Montage is accurate then yes actually, you are right. Seems I was mixing the two scenes up.

https://youtu.be/KLU5mFoJtKM

And yes, this really is a 7 minute montage of Zeta characters hitting each other.
>>
>>14168626
Grows like a potato
>>
>>14159827
It's a well-regarded series. In /m/'s case it seems to be a very vocal and obnoxious minority. As a series it has some issues (there is one slow-ish period of 5 to 10 episodes, and certain plot developments could have been done better; the series could have been better planned), but you should reach your own conclusions.

The most frequently cited criticism is that the characters frequently behave in irrational ways. The exaggerated melodrama surrounding emotional characters in tense scenarios it was gives the series its theatricality and melodramatic appeal, though, and the character development is easy to follow even if it isn't always immediately relatable. The show is very successful thematically.
Thread posts: 92
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.