[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So in retrospect, was it really all that bad?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 120
Thread images: 18

File: Gundam_AGE_DVD_4.jpg (57KB, 354x500px) Image search: [Google]
Gundam_AGE_DVD_4.jpg
57KB, 354x500px
So in retrospect, was it really all that bad?
>>
>>14139610
Yes, but not as bad as IBO.
>>
>>14139610

Yes. I still put it at the franchises low point, along with maybe Try.
>>
>>14139610
Personally, I find that it's pretty bad. Even when it wasn't being inconsistent and actively teaching bad morales it was, at best, crushingly boring. Basing a TV series on a video game is a bad idea to begin with, so it's tough to build from that.
>>
>>14139627

Gungrave was based on a video game, and it was great.
>>
>>14139610
A little better than G-Reco but it's pretty bad
>>
Gen 3 is literally awful Gundam. Not even awful for the show, I mean for the entire franchise, Gen 3 is some shitty ass shit
>>
>>14139635
>people still don't like G-Reco
Well, to each their own, I suppose.
>>
>>14139634

The best part of Gungrave was the extended flashback to Grave's past though, which was basically completely different to the game. The present day stuff was pretty mediocre.
>>
>>14139638
>people are still angry because they couldn't understand a kids show
ftfy
>>
>>14139610
No. Just mediocre with some cool characters and mechs;
>>
File: flit approved.png (64KB, 560x315px) Image search: [Google]
flit approved.png
64KB, 560x315px
>>14139610
Better than WING.
Better than SEED.
Better than SEED Destiny.
Better than 00 S2.
Better than Trailblazer.
Better than IBO.
>>
>>14139610
Gen One? It could be better, but it's alright
Gen Two? Pretty decent. I wish the rest of the crew actually did anything, but I like the idea of the main character not only trying to get from under his father's shadow, but trying to keep up with this new generation of Pilots With Powers!
Gen 3+4: Fucking trash. Kio was a fucking mistake.
>>
>>14139646
>Better than 00 S2.
>Better than Trailblazer.

That's wrong.
>>
Flit was awesome.
>>
>>14139653
Both of these are AGE-2 tier, the worst of AGE.
>>
>>14139660
>AGE-2
>The worst of AGE
>Not AGE-3

Son no
>>
>>14139673
AGE-2 is putrid power level wank backed by an irrelevant and pointless plot with a version of Kamille immune to character development. Literally the bottom of the barrel.
>>
>>14139639

The point is they took a mediocre 1 hour long game and made something great out of it. AGE failed because they just didn't care. Look at the utter lack of world building, the squandering of every interesting premise/character, lazy writing...
>>
>>14139683

AGE-2 was literally about a guy whose powerlevel is shit until he learns to go full balls to the wall and becomes the anti-powerlevel.
>>
It could've been worse, at least it wasn't seed
>>
>>14139695
AGE-2 was literally about nothing and cancer at the same time.
>>
>>14139701

SEED was better than AGE since at least SEED tried. It didn't go full retard until Destiny.
>>
>>14139710
>since at least SEED tried.
It tried to be a girl pandering fest yes
>>
>>14139695
Don't forget that he only did that when his foster dad died and he realized his biological dad was a dick.

>>14139704
You're trying too hard anon.
>>
>>14139685

Yea, but they had to basically ignore the game itself outright to make the only good part of it. AGE itself could have been good, and I don't think it being based off a game is the real problem - but I'm just pointing out that Gungrave isn't a good example to me.
>>
Worst Gundam is obviously your favorite series. Anything else is objectively wrong.
>>
>>14139713

As opposed to AGE which played up the couples and kids aspect and waifu'd all over the place?
>>
>>14139717

Gungrave is the best game adaptation since it greatly expands on and improves the source material.
>>
>>14139724
>which played up the couples and kids aspect and waifu'd all over the place?
I wish it actually did do that because then the relationships might have played out better
>>
File: Gundam X.png (616KB, 627x480px) Image search: [Google]
Gundam X.png
616KB, 627x480px
>>14139723
>AWGX
>worst

Say that to my face not online see what happens newtype. I'll shoot ypur fannels haha.
>>
>>14139610

Better and less overrated than Getter at least
>>
>>14139728
I would waifu Einus, Shanalua, and Girard.
>>
>>14139714
>he only did that when his foster dad died
He's the one who got Woolf killed in the first place because he wouldn't fucking listen like the retard he is. None of this shit would have happened if Woolf slapped the shit out of Asemu Tomino style instead of humoring his autism.
>>
AGE was seriously "wow it's fucking nothing: the show."

Everything in it was so completely wasted and rushed. Like, let's look at Kio's arc, considered the shittiest part of AGE.

>It's implied/outright shown that Flit has long gone off the deep end and brainwashed Kio into becoming his successor
>nothing comes of it

>In the previous season Millais was both the commanding officer of the Diva and one of the only characters who knew the truth of the Vagan war
>nothing came of that

>"But Asemu, why did you have to abandon your family for like ten years to do this?"
>"Uhhhh..."

>Shanalua, a character Kio seems to have a crush on and who is the one who snaps him out of his retarded mentality, is introduced
>Literally 1 episode later she's a traitor, dies, and then he forgets everything she told him

>The whole trip to the Vegan homeworld is a three episode arc where the suffering of the entire planet is condensed into a single really badly written character
>>
File: tumblr_m7cck7j93r1qaol32.png (162KB, 500x284px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m7cck7j93r1qaol32.png
162KB, 500x284px
Flit did nothing wrong. Gas all Vagan scum.
>>
>>14139743
u damn right
>>
File: gungrave21.jpg (112KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
gungrave21.jpg
112KB, 640x360px
>>14139639
>The best part of Gungrave was the extended flashback to Grave's past though

I disagree immensely. That part was boring as hell and made up for about a paragraph of backstory for what should have been a balls to wall shoot em up action anime
>>
>>14139610
It was incredibly bland, which is perhaps a worse offence than being just plain bad. Shit like Gundam Seed may have been suffering to watch but it evokes emotions, even negative ones. Age was just terribly bland and uninteresting in every way, from plot to designs to musical score and I cannot scrounge together enough of a fuck to even hate it.
>>
>>14139806
It's not that bad. It's just mediocre.

Though it's extremely shitty for Bandai because they clearly thought this would become the new hot shit. They have so many plans and merchandising for AGE. Heck, it even got a tie-in game released after the show finished airing.
>>
>>14141213
I don't meant to quote here.
>>
You guys seem to have the wrong idea here. AGE was written to be the animated version of the video game... BEFORE the video game was even finished.

It's pretty much the ultimate shitty anime adaption of a video game.
>>
>>14141236
The characters and plot are exactly the same in the game.

Not to mention the game is pure shit. The customization is purely cosmetic and looks like shit.

Good thing they came up with GBF and Gundam Breaker after that failure of a title.
>>
>>14139627
>Basing a TV series on a video game is a bad idea to begin with, so it's tough to build from that.

SRW The Inspectors does an ok job of it. I wouldn't call it a particularly amazing show, but it's not bad.

Before someone says "oh SRW doesn't count because it's got a lot of text blah blah blah", no, it totally counts, you didn't quantify what you meant when you said "video game".
>>
>>14139610
I think it was a product of its AGE
>>
I bet this would have been great if it was just about Flit and maybe Asemu

>>14141635
SRW doesn't count because The Inspectors story was based on games that were already out before it aired
>>
>>14139610
Not really. It had good ideas, it just wasn't executed very well near the end. Still a fun watch.
Still better than G-Reco.

>>14139638
It's not going to magically become better with time, anon.

>>14139723
Gundam SEED Destiny is not the worst. Not anymore.
>>
>>14141638
cheeky cunt
>>
>>14141712
People who say that SEED Destiny or AGE are not their least favorite Gundams make me wonder if they have seen the shows at all. AGE is the most boring show of the franchise (yes, even above IBO) and Destiny is actively the most offensive. They cover both types of hate. I'd rather rewatch Wow It's Fucking Nothing Orphans over AGE's insulting, sleep-inducing attempts at storytelling. On the other hand, AGE has superior animation by a couple hundred miles.

IBO does have a solid chance to usurp AGE as the most boring show depending on how S2 goes though.
>>
>>14141744
>Destiny is actively the most offensive.

Destiny gave me a lot of material to laugh at. Like the opening scene with Shinns family, where they stop running from the life threatening battle to grab the dumb mobile phone.
>>
>>14141706
>maybe Asemu
Just no.
>>
>>14141751
Mobile phones are important anon.
>>
>>14141744
It's because I saw both Wing and G-Reco. Wing was much more boring than AGE, because nothing happens for the middle 35+ episodes in Wing. G-Reco was just a shit show with no redeeming features.
>>
File: aida4.jpg (138KB, 650x919px) Image search: [Google]
aida4.jpg
138KB, 650x919px
>>14141776
>G-Reco was just a shit show with no redeeming features
I can think of at least 2.
>>
>>14141778
Bad character, the exact opposite problem of Kudelia. Kudelia doesn't do enough, Aida does too much.
>>
>>14141776
>G-Reco was just a shit show with no redeeming features
I'm not going to bother arguing with you then.
>>
File: AGE-butthurt.jpg (356KB, 1280x848px) Image search: [Google]
AGE-butthurt.jpg
356KB, 1280x848px
There were problems with the show, just not the stuff /m/ sudoku'd itself over from the early magazine scans.
>>
>>14141796
Reminder: The fake translations /m/ went sudoku over would have been better than the show we got
>>
>>14141783
People were also complaining about Aida being useless in the G-Reco Generals.
>>
>>14141802
You mean they were laughing at how criminally awful she was at piloting.

But at least she tried to do something, unlike Kudelia.
>>
>>14141802
I wouldn't know, I never went into any of them. Even so, hers is a different brand of uselessness. Kudelia just doesn't do anything. Aida always tries and always either worsens things or has no effect.
>>
>>14139673
>AGE-3
has Flit as retired genocidal dictator.
Only Kio "understanding" Asuno was the draw, and that traitor chick possessed by the mind of her deceased partner.
>>
>>14141744
People who say that ZZ is not their least favorite Gundam make me wonder if they have seen the show at all.
>>
>>14141744

People who say stuff like this make me wonder if they know how opinions work at all. Not just that something might be worse in the respect they dislike X, but that they might dislike another show for entirely different reasons. AGE is not just boring to me, but is outright offensive as well as boring. I don't find Destiny nearly as boring, so I don't find it worse.

I think AGE's problem with it's villains is worse, I think it outright wastes it both one of it's main characters (Asemu) as well as the premise of both a generational story and a 100 year war. I don't think Asemu plays any real part in the finale like Flit and Kio. I think it mis-steps on the story entirely (like Flit scouring the Federation at the end of Gen-2, only to have loads of them anyways in Gen-3), drops plot lines (the X-Rounder helmet for instance) and mucks up it's game/anime balance. AGE has lots of problems. If you think Destiny is worse that's fine, but I dislike AGE more and playing the doubting Thomas because you don't agree is just being contentious.
>>
>>14139610

I personally thought it was arguably the worst Gundam, but Destiny was worse because of recycled footage. There's a lot to hate about AGE, really. I can't think of anything good to say about it. Even the designs were ugly!
>>
>>14139610
It was Cliches: the show. I couldn't imagine anybody would actually enjoy this show unless they are in that very young age who just care about big robots fighting over everything else.

Age-2 is the point where it starts to become watchable, it's still predictable as all hell but it's better.
>>
>>14141776
>Wing was much more boring than AGE

I would argue that the plot to both of them are roughly the same on the boringness-scale.

But at least Wing has those ridiculously funny scenes, some of the scenes that sync well with the BGM and the OP are pretty good too.
>>
File: Age-no i won't deal with it.jpg (108KB, 947x539px) Image search: [Google]
Age-no i won't deal with it.jpg
108KB, 947x539px
So those bluray rips off of mega.nz, a couple of the links are dead.

only Gen 1 works
>>
It tried so hard to make me feel for Flit losing Yurin despite the two of them at best had a total screen time of being together of around 30 minutes.
Her death used as a way of letting us sympathise with Flit 's desire to kill all Vegans.
Later on, using this same technique they want me to buy into the idea that not all Vegans are bad, that we're suppose to sympathise with Kio over losing a girl that had even less screen time than Yurin.
The fact that all non-main characters of the previous gen are all completely forgotten about in the next gen.
A literal 'who the fuck are you' final enemy.
The fact that Elzecant died with a smile as if his plan was a success despite him losing the war and pretty much none of his goals can be considered achieved.
>>
>>14142156
Not even a troll could say the worst Gundam ever out of all of them would be ZZ
>>
>>14142288

When will contrarians give up trying to hype up ZZ like it's some super under appreciated gem? I don't agree with it being the absolute worst, but I can easily see why someone else would say that.
>>
>>14142271
AGE has more frequent good moments, not just a few in the beginning, one in the middle, and a few in the end.

>>14142292
Anon, I think he's just saying that there are much worse options, and a troll wouldn't bother with hating ZZ when they could just say "Zeta was bad" and get more reactions.
>>
>>14142292
>ZZ like it's some super under appreciated gem?
I never said that
>>
The essence of what made AGE so bad can be found in the final episode of Asemu's arc.

The episode before, the remnants of Zeheart's forces are seen dropping from orbit, with the lieutenant guy saving an unconscious Zeheart from death during the reentry. Throughout the arc, there has also been a plot of Vagan sympathisers in the Earth government that Grodek uncovers, and is killed by. Naturally, with such a buildup you might expect some kind of big climax or actual arc about the resolution of these problems.

Instead, in the course of a single episode - in fact, more like half an episode - all of the Vagan remnants on Earth show up, attack, and are killed by Asemu, and the conspiracy in the Earth Federation ranks is revealed and stopped immediately by Flit, who becomes commander of the Earth forces. There are no long-term consequences of this and by the next arc it may as well not have happened because Flit is retired and doesn't seem to have affected the state of the war or the Earth Federation's position on it at all by being in office. Likewise Asemu paints the AGE-2 white, presumably in honour of Woolf, but by the next time we see him he's a space pirate and his suit is painted black.

Basically and obviously, AGE's problem is trying to compress far, far too much stuff into a single series. In order to fit them in, almost every character beyond the main pilot has to be a stock character, a cardboard cutout that fills a role for the handful of episodes they appear in. There's no time to spare for character growth beyond the main pilot, and even then it has to be handled by the simplest, most direct of tropes - a montage of still images of Flit and Yurin playing together, Asemu 'powering up' because his older brother mentor character dies to save him, Kio meeting a dying orphan girl and realising "the Vagans are people too!". [cont]
>>
>>14142309
>>14142317

My bad. That was too strong a knee jerk reaction on my end.

But seriously, fuck those ZZfag memers are so goddamned annoying.
>>
>>14142334
Side plots are rushed to completion like the Earth conspiracy mentioned before. New villains are introduced, shown off, thrown at the main character and killed in rapid succession - as others have mentioned, the 'literally who' final boss that is also the EXA-DB - this could have been a powerful confrontation, with three generations of Asunos facing off against the embodiment of the forbidden technology that kicked off this whole war. Instead, they run it around for a bit and then Kio punches through the cockpit, leaving the pilot miraculously unharmed because of his perfect pacifist good end powers.

AGE is, by all accounts, a pretty low quality entry in the Gundam franchise. As someone earlier mentioned, it's certainly not as offensively bad as SEED Destiny, but trying to jam three series of material into 49 episodes leaves the pacing, plot and character development rushed to the point that the whole thing is made of bare bones and cardboard. I may have watched it all the way through as it was airing, but by the end it felt like 'eh, that was it?', and I doubt I'll have the patience to see it through again.
>>
They could have moved the colonies away from the mars cancer rays the whole time.
>>
>>14142334
>>14142348
Meh, I still like it and it's also my favorite show.

But you have your opinion, and I respect it.
>>
>>14142437
I know it's late in the game but that's when I knew unequivocally that Age was shit when that little reveal came around
>>
>>14142456
Truly there is no accounting for taste.
>>
AGE was bad because it wasn't even a trainwreck, and it wasn't even total shit, and it wasn't even boring. AGE was a show that was just stupid enough to be watchable for entertainment, but ultimately was just disappointing as fuck because it had all the potential in the universe and blew it. It's like watching your school's star athlete cripple himself doing some retarded Jackass-tier stunt in slo-mo. AGE even had kick ass designs, and they're wasted because they were in AGE.
>>
File: image.jpg (70KB, 461x600px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
70KB, 461x600px
>>14139768
>>
File: image.jpg (9KB, 160x120px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
9KB, 160x120px
>>14139768
>>
>>14139610
It's not that AGE was bad.

It's that it was NOTHING. It was bland, did nothing new to call it's own, and stayed a heavy dose of mediocrity the entire way through.

Only good thing was "Kill all Vegans for killing mai waifu" grandpa, and they ruined him in the last ep.
>>
If Gen 3 didn't fuck everything up it would be tolerable at least.
>>
>>14142623
>>14142646
Poor girl. She was literally made the captain in hope that she would get killed in action, because her commander was a cunt who wanted to get back at her grandfather. And all she will be ever remembered for was her name sounding funny in English.
>>
File: 1406595098347.png (2MB, 2352x2404px) Image search: [Google]
1406595098347.png
2MB, 2352x2404px
Reminder that this is the canon ending.
>>
>>14142623
>>14142646
Einus a cute!
>>
>>14143025

She'll be remembered for that cause she did fuck all else to remember her for. She never even captained properly.
>>
>>14143051
I fucking wish
>>
>>14143065
>She never even captained properly.
That is a lie.
>>
>>14143089

Flit did her job for her and while she wanted to stand up to him I'm pretty sure she never did and let him run things as he wanted instead of doing it her way.
>>
>>14141635
I would say Inspectors and Divine Wars don't actually count because the AGE games were essentially Monster Hunter/LBX and not SRPGs
>>
>>14143089
You're right, she did captain properly

In the last episode

For like a few seconds
>>
>>14142231
>Even the designs were ugly!
You're such a tasteless faggot.
>>
>>14142273
Really? When will it be fixed
>>
File: IMG_7097 (Edited).jpg (29KB, 389x270px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7097 (Edited).jpg
29KB, 389x270px
>>14143025
She deserves to be in a show way better than AGE. It doesn't help the fact that she was introduced in the worst arc in the show
>>
>>14139610

It was ambitious but rubbish
>>
>>14143363
Soon I hope, I need to download the last arc.
>>
File: 2nd_ms_b_002.gif (121KB, 590x822px) Image search: [Google]
2nd_ms_b_002.gif
121KB, 590x822px
I haven't even seen it, I just came here to say Double Bullet is cool.
>>
>>14144511
I won't hesitate to admit that the AGE-2 is one of the reasons I started watching the show in the first place.
>>
>>14141635
the thing is, Super Robot Wars OGs The Inspectors did it BACKWARDS.

take a game, adapt to a TV series.

Age was "Take an Anime and adapt it into a game:"

needless to say, they both suffered for it for their own reasons, nevermind the fact that the Age games are inferior versions of Danball Senki...and even then. Danball Senki Baku Boost stops being fun once you hit under-ranking because of the utterly retarded AI-Cheating.
>>
>>14144511
I would personally disagree with you
>>
File: j7Ur1.jpg (82KB, 1080x350px) Image search: [Google]
j7Ur1.jpg
82KB, 1080x350px
Fuck you Arc 1 for killing my Waifu.

Fuck you Age FX for merely existing.
Fuck you Kio for going the Jesus Yamato Route.
>>
>>14144595
>having a soulless Lalah clone as a waifu
>implying the FX wasn't a great design that wasn't just fucked by Kio's UNDERSTANDING bullshit
>>
>>14144595
I get the feeling like Emily's role in arc 1 was simply "be the girl that doesn't die so she can become a baby machine in the next one"
>>
>>14144616
>Hey, let's mash the ZZ and Quanta against eachother and give the result some Godmode Sue hacks!

yeah, and after the Excelence that was the Age 3? they could have easily made even cooler Age 3 wears to compensate for the power creep.

hell. rather than Full-Armoring the Age-1, why not make a wear for it using the new technology? the game has TONS of wears they could have used.
>>
>>14144624
and that's why I'm pissy at Emily being Flit's wife. she does NOTHING during Arc 1 but be a jealous bitch that gets her way because she's able to rebound on an emotionally broken Flit.

Hey Yurin. you coulda told Flit to lop your prison's head off and fling it towards the not-White Base. or...yanno. cut up those flowers so they couldn't plink away at you while you fucked up Desil.
>>
>>14144640
FX is nothing like ZZ and the only similarity with Quanta is green remote weapons. And even then, the FX's are more than just sword bit ripoffs since they're direct references to the AGE-1 just like the full burst mode is.

>>14144624
The whole two things that Emily did onscreen (bitching about using a 13 year old as an ace pilot and doing basic first aid that one time) are still more than Yurin's accomplishments in Gen 1 consisting of a romance contained in a montage and a death scene so melodramatic, unoriginal, and cringeworthy that it actually detracts from her character.
>>
>>14144577
>Age was "Take an Anime and adapt it into a game:"

Age was meant to be a game from the start. Hino convinced the execs that if they wanted to reach that million unit goal they would need an anime to advertise it. The game and anime were being developed simultaneously and they have literally the same exact story as a result, the anime just released first because they wanted to use it to advertise/build hype for the game.
>>
>>14144799

And they couldn't even sell 10% of its intended (and rather ambitious) target of 1 million copies. Consider Bamco couldn't reach 400K copies for the One Year War PS2 game back in 2005, do they honest think a non-UC game can reach 1 million?
>>
>>14144840

A SEED game on a Nintendo handheld could.
>>
I enjoyed it at least. It helps I was mostly in it for the game because at the time I was a pretty big Level-5 fan and that turned out pretty fun.
>>
>>14144845

>SEED
>Nintendo handheld
>Ever capable of reaching 1 million copies sold

Top kek, even the best selling SEED game (EA VS ZAFT II PLUS for the PS2) "only" sold 500K and most Nintendo handheld titles don't break 100K with the exception of G Gen games. So I highly doubt that'd be possible
>>
>>14144511
DB made the AGE-2 worth something.
>>
>>14142348
That's one thing I'll give Age. I didn't drop it like G-reco or IBO.
>>
>>14139610
It was shit. Speaking of which, does anyone know how the game was? Was it shit as well, or did it actually do something to redeem AGE a little?
>>
>>14139610
The AGE-2 theme was fucking awesome.
>>
Woolf and Flit were pretty cool at least.
>>
>>14139610
I'm on episode 5 and it's pretty good. Everyone says AGE-2 and AGE-3 are pretty bad, but AGE-1 so far is way better than IBO.

>>14139646
>better than 00

Faggot.
Thread posts: 120
Thread images: 18

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.