[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I didn't understand the plot Are they robots or some shit wtf

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 7

File: 1460906933600[1].jpg (130KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1460906933600[1].jpg
130KB, 1024x768px
I didn't understand the plot

Are they robots or some shit wtf
>>
>>14127782
It's a very overrated movie. They're androids created so serve humanity by doing shitty jobs in outer-space colonization. They have a built in expiration date of only a few years because they tend to become conscious and break free from their slave-like existences. The ones in the movie are trying to extend their lives by meeting their creator. Deckard may have been a replicant created to hunt down other replicants who was told he was a human so he'd be better at his job.

The gist of the movie is that it wants you to consider what would make something indistinguishable from a human but created differently human? In the novel it's made pretty clear than empathy is what makes you human and a human without empathy might as well be a machine.
>>
File: plastic memories.jpg (277KB, 640x926px) Image search: [Google]
plastic memories.jpg
277KB, 640x926px
>>14127782
Go watch some normie shit like pic related
>>
>>14127782
Stick to A/Z
>>
>>14127899
/tv/ please
>>
>>14127938

He's right though. The book is far better and the movie seems to be mostly loved for the visuals rather than the story.
>>
>>14127961
the book is better in some ways, and it has an entire subplot about their religion (mercerism) that is completely ignored in the movie, the only vestiges being the artificial animals.

the movie, i think, is a bit more nuanced in its treatment of replicants than the book. in the book deckard likes his job (he isn't retired in the book) and has no major qualms about retiring replicants.

also don't listen to >>14127899 even if he has dubs the whole "deckard is a replicant" meme is some stupid shit ridley scott started in one of the extended ultra deluxe official directors cut: new edition versions. in both the original cut and (i believe) the first directors cut there's nothing to suggest deckard is a replicant, one of the cuts he has a dream of a unicorn and then a unicorn origami gets left at his door and this somehow means that gaff knows he's a replicant because he knows his dreams? i dunno.
>>
>>14128016

He has no qualms so Rachel can give him pause by sleeping with him to make him realise how human Replicants are. At which point he quits. Which I prefer to the movie's handling personally. It feels shittier, but more human, understandable and effective.
>>
>>14128016
The original cut is shit.

The studio hated the movie. And they were right in a way , Bladerunner was a commercial flop. It bombed pretty hard.

It wasn't until laserdisk that Bladerunner became a cult classic.
>>
>>14128016
The director's cut in 1992 is when he first inserted the unicorn scene
>>
>>14128128
i know they're objectively bad but i like the voiceovers in the original cut
>>
>>14127782
Same here, m8. Just noticed this TTGL reference. Cool.
>>
File: 1435969422694.png (180KB, 441x370px) Image search: [Google]
1435969422694.png
180KB, 441x370px
>>14128391

(you)
>>
For the record, /tv/ adores Blade Runner.

Also, Final Cut or GTFO.
>>
File: Eye on the City.webm (3MB, 720x300px) Image search: [Google]
Eye on the City.webm
3MB, 720x300px
The book can;t be better than the movie because it doesn't have this.
>>
>>14128524

It also doesn't have that horrible stucco allover the walls and the discrepancy between a packed city center full of people down every lane and in every shop - and an almost empty decaying (but livable) building bang on the middle of it for no reason.
>>
>>14128654
well, to be fair there is a lot of decay in the book because the earth is FUCEKD and everyone who is rich enough left long ago
>>
>>14128657

Yea, but it makes sense in the book because everyone who could left long ago and there is no busy streets packed with people. All that's left is the dumb, the irradiated and the poor if I recall.
>>
>>14128665
yeah, that's true. deckard sticks around because he's irradiated, old and payed as a public servant; sebastian is mentally handicapped and so he isn't allowed to leave. i don't think the remaining population in some cities is small, however; the book focuses on the west coast generally and not only LA like the movie, and there isn't a lot of info about how many people remain on earth from what i recall.

that said, you're right that the mix is strange in the movie, i guess it's just A E S TH E t i c s or something
>>
>>14128665
>>14128670
Ok, so you're looking at the movie's setting as if it's supposed to be the same as the book.

Hell, I don't think the movie ever mentions people moving off world or anything to that effect for the purpose of luxury etc.

Also, even in packed urban cities today, check Hong Kong, there are plenty of buildings that are nearly entirely abandoned.
>>
>>14127782
>skipped the first 3min of the movie

humans have created mining colonies with conditions too harsh for humans to work in, so they made android mexicans to do the work they wont/cant do. Only problem is the updated models are self aware.

A fail safe is programmed in them to deactivate after X amount of time, only issue is the new models get smarter and smarter each generation and by the "3.0" model they know what they are, how long they have to live, and is theory on how to fix it. A task force is created to hunt them down and recycle them, called blade runners. (yay movie title in movie)

girl in pic is a toaster. But Indiana Jones' psych evaluation fails to identify her until he basically finishes the test. I think he says the average toaster is identified within the first 5 questions and she answered like 100.

Long story short it plays on the Asimov robot stores, follows the 5 laws (until defected machines break them) and uses elements from his short stories to expand that universe of a cyberpunk future where we make robots in our own image.
>>
>>14128684
in the book people moved off world as part of a government initiative because of the fallout from a nuclear war. part of it is luxury but part of it is saving the human race.

in the movie they don't spell it out but its raining in los angeles a whole fucking lot for it to be a world where there hasn't been some strange catastrophe, and the replicants and the giant blimps both talk about off world colonies.
>>
>>14128670

Yea, I didn't really enjoy the movie. I think I disliked it mainly because the main message with Roy at the end is "look how human all these Replicants are", while Deckard has been in love with one all through the film and that's humanizing enough in my opinion. It created a disconnect, because it feels like Deckard should have got that message when he met Rachel, rather than because of Roy.

Anything else is really quibbles on my part, stuff I noticed because I wasn't enjoying the film and was looking for reasons to justify my dislike later - but I did dislike that mix of busyness and abandonment, I hated the stucco walls everywhere and I wasn't really a fan of the aesthetic overall. Just not my film I guess. I read the book afterward and much preferred it, with the events making much more sense to me.
>>
I never got how the Decard is a toaster theory came about just for the simple fact that if he was a toaster he is purposely the shittiest toaster every created. Even if he was a newer model Roy just absolutely walked all over him way to much
>>
>>14128692
Like I said
>for purpose of luxury

And we only have a snapshot of what? A few days in future L.A.? Freak rainstorms lasting a few days aren't entirely unheard of. It'd be hard to surmise the global climate from just that.

Hell, look at Texas just last year it rained for a fucking month straight. From mid May to mid June.

>>14128705
>I did dislike that mix of busyness and abandonment
That was almost entirely the point. The replicants are people too thing, was just an extension of that.

>when he met Rachel, rather than because of Roy
Iirc, he was already planning to bail with her after he completed his case. He did get it, the final scene was just there to hammer it home.
I'd highly encourage you to go back and watch it (Final Cut, of course). While your grievances with the set design probably won't change, you might have a new appreciation for it.

>>14128715
>Replicants can be/are implanted with false memories
>Deckard has dream about Unicorn
>Captain Adama leaves a Unicorn origami creature for him

As to him jobbing, it's stated that the Replicants can be developed with specific tasks in mind. Deckard obviously didn't get the gainz hardware, but he hold up pretty well, all things considered.
>>
>>14128750
>Replicants can be developed with specific tasks in mind. Deckard obviously didn't get the gainz hardware, but he hold up pretty well, all things considered.

but he wasn't even all that good at his actual job and the only reason he was doing "WELL" was because Roy was toying with him.
>>
>>14128750

How did the mix of busyness and abandonment act as an extension of replicants being people too?
>>
>>14128830
Because the mind has an excessive amount of things going on. From a desire for closeness--note that the replicants, and humans namely Sebastian, all have a desire for intimacy--to the sense of isolationism they all experience, Sebastian, by his very nature, Deckard with the piano scene, Roy's "chosen one" status (both externally and self-imposed).

>>14128828
>he wasn't even all that good at his actual job
Disagree, he managed to hunt down plenty of leads. He trashed two of the Replicants he was hunting.
If you remember, Roy was a "worker" unit or some such. He obviously was stronger than Deckard, sure, and maybe a little bit more world-wise, after all he's seen things. If we go on the idea that Deckard is a Replicant, he may in fact only be a few days old by the beginning of the movie. Maybe he's just a beta test of the newest Blade Runner software.

I can't really explain why they would've made Deckard a bad detective, but I really didn't get that impression from watching the show. Remember the scene where he figures out the snakeskin thing using the image software? Seemed pretty competent to me. He just didn't master the basics of CQC.
>>
>>14128830
>>14128870
I should add that the city itself is supposed to be a metaphor for the mind/soul/etc.It's as much a character in the way that Gotham is for Batman, or Rapture is in BioShock (just to give some examples).
>>
>>14128870

That explanation for why it would have those elements seems like a stretch to me, but maybe they specifically put them in for that reason for all I know. I dislike it regardless - though again, it's only a minor quibble and I dislike the ending being such a big moment when the point has been apparent all along far, far more.
>>
>>14127782
Androids are freaking out because they value life and realize they have a very short time left to live. Ford sent to kill androids cause he thought they were just lifeless robots. After seeing how hard they fought to keep their life he starts questioning what exactly is life and bangs a hot robot in the process. Finally after killing final android Ford runs off with his hot robot waifu for hot robo sex until her four year lifespan is up.

No Ford you are the robots.
>>
>>14128670
>i don't think the remaining population in some cities is small

Been years since I read the book but from what I remember you had large populated cities in the middle of massive radioactive wastelands because they were the only safe place for people to live.
>>
>>14128890
>maybe they specifically put them in for that reason

They did.

Ridley had said that he wanted the story to be "Kafkaesque", and as we all know, Isolation is a huge element to those stories.

I'll try and find some quotes about the intent of the set design for you.
>>
>>14128932

Nah, it's grand. I believe you.
>>
>>14127961
>The book is far better

lol no

book's pretty forgetable on its own.

blade runner is a visual feast and extremely influential.
>>
>>14127782
how retard are you?
>>
Blade Runner is THE most influential film for cyberpunk anime. Everyone tried to rip it off.
>>
File: 964 Pinocchio.jpg (78KB, 250x350px) Image search: [Google]
964 Pinocchio.jpg
78KB, 250x350px
>>14130380
>a visual feast
I hate you so much right now.

>>14130389
Aside from the cities in Akira and VOTOMS is this really true?

Also, I think that what most people call cyberpunk isn't really cyberpunk at all. Blade Runner isn't cyberpunk, it's neo-noir. A true piece of cyberpunk has anti-establishment and anti-dehumanization themes right down to the core to the point where everything about it is a statement, rather than just the narrative.
>>
>>14131035
Fuck off, I quit that movie after she ate her own puke. It's a piece of shit.
Tetsuo is god tier cyberpunk, Pinocchio is just a wannabe surrealist with no actual point.

Also Blade Runner is definitely cyberpunk you're just focusing too much on Deckard. The anti-establishment and anti-dehumanising themes are brought out in spades by Roy Baty. Just because he's not the protagonist doesn't mean the themes aren't still extremely prevalent.

Go back to your Rubber's Lover if you can't understand why Blade Runner is cyberpunk.
>>
>>14127782
Rachel is Finkle.
>>
>>14132654
>Pinocchio is just a wannabe surrealist with no actual point
What was the point of Tetsuo the Iron Man?

Blade Runner might have shared themes with a lot of cyberpunk works but the execution doesn't fit. It's noir with a science-fiction aesthetic.
>>
>>14128468
Implying /tv/ has good taste.
>>
>>14134265
Not at all, but that's something they do like.
>>
>>14127782

No OP, you are the robot.
>>
>>14132654

tetsuo a shit, Burst City is the best Japanese cyberpunk movie
>>
>>14134085
>execution doesn't fit.
You're an idiot if you think execution alone defines genre. The themes are still present, and an integral part of the story, that alone makes it cyberpunk. I won't deny that there's a clear noir element intentionally invoked throughout the film. But that alone doesn't preclude it from being cyberpunk. There's plenty of cyberpunk series that have riffed off of that same noir vibe because of Blade Runner.
Of course if you limit your definition of cyberpunk to 'Anything that isn't exactly like Neuromancer' you'll say Blade Runner isn't 'true' cyberpunk. But that's bullshit, genres are versatile and can cover a wide array of topics, media, and styles of execution.

>https://web.archive.org/web/20140626014204/http://www.cyberpunkreview.com/what-is-cyberpunk/
This, sadly now defunct, site has a pretty good definition of what cyberpunk is. Plus a bunch of reviews for Blade Runner, Tetsuo, and even your crappy little Pinocchio.

Tetsuo the Iron Man was about testing the audience's limits of sympathy for it's main character not just through his hideous transformation, but also through the information slowly revealed about him and his lover throughout the film. I won't say it's a terribly deep film, but it certainly has more substance than 'I ate puke and I must scream'.

>>14134559
Which reminds me, I've been meaning to rewatch Electric Dragon.
>>
>>14134857
>Electric Dragon.
fuckyear
>>
>>14134857
>sadly now defunct,

What?
When it happened?
I thought it was still active!
>>
>>14135006
I got no clue, one day there were some scripting errors on the front page, few months later it's down entirely.
Thank god for wayback machine. It's really ashame, that site introduced me to so many cool and bizarre movies.
Shame about Snowblood Apple.
>>
>>14134554
and then OP was a replicant.
>>
>>14130389
No wonder jap cyberpunk shit is so bad then
>>
>>14138060
DELET THIS
>>
>>14127899
I thought the replicants were going to expire in a few years no matter what, rather than being a built-in expiration date. That's why they came up with implanted memories as a way to stop more incidences like Roy and his friends from happening.
>>
>>14139581

It's true and you know it.
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.