[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What kind of features/gameplay would you want in a mech game

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 15

File: ghost.jpg (309KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
ghost.jpg
309KB, 1920x1200px
What kind of features/gameplay would you want in a mech game for VR?
Just got Unreal Engine and have a Rift coming in a few days, so I'm looking for project ideas.
>>
Interactive memes.
>>
I want to actually pilot something in VR. Like cockpit view and shit.
>>
Cockpit view
>>
File: Patlabor2_Ambush.webm (2MB, 900x500px) Image search: [Google]
Patlabor2_Ambush.webm
2MB, 900x500px
HUD view
>>
>>14112644
>>14112648
Yeah, already started on 3d modelling a cockpit.
What kind of gameplay would be the most fun? Fast-paced flying like ZoE, or Patlabor style ground combat?
>>
>>14112659
Either would be fine, but urban combat sounds awesome.
>>
No cockpit view, that is a dumb gimmick
Unless it's a panoramic cockpit
>>
>>14113079
I want a Char hunter sim.
>>
>>14112659
Slow paced combat has the advantage of not lacking G forces for every tiny maneuver. Is also less confusing for mortals.
>>
>>14113079
>cockpit view
>a gimmick in VR
Are you retarded?
VR was made for first person games.
>>
>>14113111
I think he wants an option to go full CCA and eliminate screens, chair, panels, sticks, etc. That shouldn't be hard to implement I think, but it wouldn't fit a ground combat game. It's really only good for space where battle happens in 360°.
>>
Microphone support where yelling loudly increases your strength.
>>
>>14113121
That, or flight games like Ace Combat.
>>
>>14113142
No, I'd want a visible cockpit for that. I don't want to be able to see through the floor in first person if I'm in a jet.
>>
When you do high G stuff the camera spin SHOULD be nauseating
>>
>>14113166
>I don't want to be able to see through the floor in first person if I'm in a jet
le F-35 HMD face.jpg
>>
>>14112659
I'd say something in the middle, pre-Zeta Universal Century would make a good benchmark
>>
>>14113186
Just make it like Yf-19 cockpit from Macross Plus.
>>
>>14113272
Or any of the AC3 COFFIN system planes.
>>
>>14113186
I've heard, shit freaks me out. Even though I shill it on /k/ when needed, I still wouldn't fly it because it's not an F-14. Nothing will ever kill that love and I see no reason to personally fly another jet. Just because it's viable for the military doesn't make it Top Gun.

And that's why panoramic digital a shit, analogue a best.
>>
>>14112632

The problem with making VR games is that they are pretty much all intended to be played with the first-person camera view. This makes the player-character practically unviewable during gameplay and mecha is meant to be gawked at. I can't imagine or really want to play a game like Vanquish or Metal Gear Rising in anything other than the third-person.
>>
File: mech.png (348KB, 1096x1564px) Image search: [Google]
mech.png
348KB, 1096x1564px
OP back, here's a WIP render of the player's mech.
Any feedback or suggestions?
>>
>>14113578
Can it dance if it wants to?
>>
>>14112652
Why are all labor designs so fucking gorgeous? Two thirds of the background labors could pass for a hero mecha in any other show.
>>
>>14116358

In the name of God OP, never ever this. If there's one person you ignore in this entire thread, it has to be this one.
>>
>>14112659
Patlabor. Heavy labors with some momentum behind them in cramped Tokyo streets sound fun.
>>
>>14112659
>>14112673
>>14116932
He could do something a bit faster than Patlabor, like Gasaraki or VOTOMS.
>>
File: argyle-shift-01.jpg (26KB, 420x336px) Image search: [Google]
argyle-shift-01.jpg
26KB, 420x336px
>>14112632
A cute AI companion who flits around the cockpit and warns me of incoming missiles/danger in a cute voice. Also says "Daijobu?" in a concerned voice when taking heavy damage.
>>
>>14113578
How much are we fudging the numbers here, OP? VOTOMS, Patlabor, or Gundam? That definite influences how the aesthetic should be. This design looks a little "generic goon" to me to be the protag. The Ingram would be a better starting place, IMO.
>>
File: argyle-shift-04.jpg (106KB, 640x512px) Image search: [Google]
argyle-shift-04.jpg
106KB, 640x512px
>>14116947
Also she HAS to go "YATTA!" when we blow up a big boss or score a critical hit or hit something at an extreme range.
>>
>>14112632
Do something like VOTOMS or Patlabor, focus on the basics of moving and shooting.
>>
>>14112632
>and have a Rift coming in a few days, so I'm looking for project ideas.

A Vibe for neck massages. Enjoy your cramps.
>>
>>14116965

This sounds like hell. I know someone out there would like it, but it sounds annoying to me. Like the Microsoft clip. Giving it tits like that recent Will Wear thing doesn't change that.
>>
>>14117274
I think it'd be tolerable if she was just a girl on a monitor. Like she's your commanding officer giving you new orders and mission objectives. It'd be a lot more immersive than actually having a girl inside the cockpit.
>>
>>14117274
I'm sorry your tastes are so shit. It must be incredibly difficult for you, living with such abhorrent tastes in things.
>>
I hope people will really use VR to give us some variety, a good action-based mecha game would be great, but everyone is gonna do that. Even if it's less exciting I'd try something more novel, still using the idea of a first-person cockpit.

Like maybe you're in a machine that's gone berserk/is being remote controlled, and need to find some way to regain control or stop it within a certain time limit. There could be different scenarios and obstacles, and the methods to retake control could be randomized each time you play.

That's just off the top of my head, but it seems like there's so much potential for more interesting stuff.
>>
>>14117330
Or like the scene in 08th MS Team where your mecha has been shut down by an EMP or similar device and you have to reboot your machine before the enemy chomps your waifu.
>>
Gaze tracking point defense weapons.
>>
>>14116358
Like a very shaky tank that's also prone to tipping over
>>
>>14112632
Doom with giant robots.
>>
>>14113578
Could do with some arms. Can't go into battle unarmed. Needs to arm itself, you know what I'm saying?
A farewell to arms.png
>>
File: kizuna.jpg (284KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
kizuna.jpg
284KB, 1920x1080px
They the Gundam arcade game Senjou no Kizuna uses the pod and panoramic screen would be a good place for VR to start with. It is based off early UC battles where suits move relatively slowly, mostly are on earth with normal gravity and physics, players spend their attention in maneuvering battle field obstacles and getting into good line of fire while considering about cover and retreat routes.

The fact that this is only playable in selected arcades in Japan makes me sad. If Bandai makes a port of this game to any VR console I will buy it in an instant.
>>
>>14120727
I'm trying to decide which control scheme would be the best.
Motion controls like the HTC Vive would be awesome, but it could get physically tiring.
Or it could be a throttle/stick input like Gundam, but it's not clear how they control all those complex arm and leg movements.
>>
>>14112659
go with either patlabor,votoms,appleseed or early front mission. Anything else is risking players getting vertigo
>>
>>14122172
whats wrong with just a gamepad/KB+M?
>>
>>14112632
Ultraman vs Godzilla
>>
>>14122185
KB+M won't feel natural in VR, and gamepad doesn't have enough buttons for a detailed mech game (see: the control scheme in ACV.)
>>
>>14122191

The warning signal would be the new Sonic drowning/Link on low health.
>>
>>14122172
You dont. You just either point 'go this way' with a stick or use the other one to aim the end effector and select an action through a context sensitive hat switch. Little more than tank controls. Ground mapping optics and radar handle balance through AMBAC and reverse kinematics. The advantage of VR is you get a HMTCS/HMD automatically so that makes it a little easier.

Ideally you'd have a complicated setup with pedals and twin sticks, mounted on slides on the armrests for an additional axis each. Supposedly some of these VR devices have AR capability as well will eventually allow for the use of your arms to operate non-HOTAS avionics that are either peripherals or rendered, by tracking either them or your arms.

Either way the future of mecha games is fucking bright. MWO is perfect for this first generation. Except only if they segregate stick and KBM players in matchmaking because mice slaughter sticks in the game and that kills VR immersion.
>>
>>14122172
> but it could get physically tiring.
That's a non-issue vs having proper controls.
>>
File: c1b7Nkj.webm (191KB, 720x404px) Image search: [Google]
c1b7Nkj.webm
191KB, 720x404px
>>14112632
Cockpit view, and I want shit zipping around me like pic related. Can we get a cool techno soundtrack too? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQsvF-L0WYg

>>14116932
>>14116944
>>14122183
You guys already got your heavy walker game with HAWKEN. Let us GGFfags have a turn.
>>
File: mech_cockpit1.png (2MB, 1873x1604px) Image search: [Google]
mech_cockpit1.png
2MB, 1873x1604px
Been experimenting with different cockpit designs. I think the Zeta-style panoramic screens would work well in VR.
>>
>>14113127
underrated post
>>
>>14123758
Personally, I'd be after a busy and complex looking one. The point of HMDs is immersion and I think feeling like you're actually in a cockpit is a big part of that. A few people have mentioned Patlabor and I think that's a good reference point.
>>14122862
Of all the games you could mention, fucking Hawken? I mean, at least Mechwarrior would've been vaguely in the ballpark. Hawken is an FPS with robots.
>>
File: 1460726788824.jpg (33KB, 651x711px) Image search: [Google]
1460726788824.jpg
33KB, 651x711px
There's been a Votoms game patented already for VR

just saying
>>
File: mech_cockpit2.png (447KB, 1289x1324px) Image search: [Google]
mech_cockpit2.png
447KB, 1289x1324px
Alternate design with more conventional monitors and switch panels
>>
File: we beam spam now.jpg (155KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
we beam spam now.jpg
155KB, 500x375px
>replace monitor with VR headset
>replace steering wheel with whatever interface you prefer in your cockpit
>more buttons on the stick
>pedals
>>
>>14123846
I'm curious what controls you'd be designing this around. After all it doesn't really matter how well a control set-up is rendered if you have to move it around with the trigger of an xbox controller or something. I don't know much about VR though.
>>
>>14123863
Head aiming will be an integral part of the controls, like the F-16's HMCS.
Movement will most likely be done with an Xbox controller or joystick.
>>
>>14123783
so you're telling me, we're gonna get new VRRRRRRRRR and museru game very soon?
>>
File: P_SCN-2[1].jpg (28KB, 439x308px) Image search: [Google]
P_SCN-2[1].jpg
28KB, 439x308px
>>14123870
I wonder if motion restriction will be a part of VR. It sounds a little weird but I'm sure you could make some sort of jacket that stiffens in some places at a computer's signal, like so if you're touching a wall it puts up a bit of resistance if you try to push through it. Just a little bit though.

I'm just trying to imagine how one would set up the feeling of actually pulling levers and shit back and forth in the cockpit without constantly clipping through everything.
>>
>>14123846
I like the look.
>>
File: mech_body1.png (416KB, 984x1648px) Image search: [Google]
mech_body1.png
416KB, 984x1648px
Now with arms!
>>
>>14123910
Looking a touch Shinohara Heavy Industries. I like it.
>>
>>14112659

Something with the view (and later maybe gameplay) of Mechwarrior but in the world of Muv Luv or one of the many Gundam timelines. That would be radical.
>>
>>14123773
Hawken is slowbots plodding around with in-cockpit. And besides that, we've already got a ton of those. On the GGF side, there's AC and ZOE, and neither are in-cockpit (at least by default).
>>
>>14123885
Rumble works. You can always still clip through, but a properly-calibrated rumble can stop you and make you feel like there's something there.
>>
>>14124047
Jesus christ anon, have you ever actually played Hawken and compared it to an actual mech sim? Hawken is an FPS with a light robot theme, it isn't even close to what we're talking about here.
>>
>>14124057
So reskin it and it's Gundam?
>>
I didn't read the thread.

>Something like macross that can use a throttle+flight stick+pedals.

>The first steel battalion control setup with a gundam style gameplay.

>extensive customization that lets you see each piece of equipment in 3D, spin out around and tinker with it.

Don't stick to just the rift also develop for the Vive/OpenVR if that is available to you.
>>
>>14124049
You've obviously never played Hawken either cause it doesn't feel like that at all.
>>
>>14124073
'Light robot' as in, 'the robot elements are light'.
>>
>>14124057
And most mech games are TPS arena games with light melee elements. Your point?
>>
>>14124468
Your inexplicable butthurt is clouding your reasoning abilities.
>>
>>14124131
What are you even talking about. Rumble gloves combined with hand-tracking could function suitably.
>>
>>14124472
Here's your reply.
>>
>>14124049
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tp4-mLuV6lA
You don't need gloves. The visuals are enough to trick your brain into thinking you're touching part of the cockpit.
>>
Cockpit view with VR headset seems dumb. I mean if this is the future, than the people building the mech will have VR tech as well, so it would make sense that a mecha pilot would be able to use VR to pilot the mech.

Maybe make it optional. Or a damage mode. Like by default you see through the mech's head cameras and your VR headset, but if it gets damaged, the players's character removes his headset to reveal the inside of the cockpit. The player still has his headset on IRL, and has to look at monitors showing information from the backup cameras.
>>
>>14126163
Alternately, keep the panorama cockpit, but have individual sections of the screen become static when cameras are damaged.

Losing your head isn't a game over, but it kills your situational awareness and forces you to fall back on cameras in your chest and weapon. The weapon camera tracks your head, so you can still look around, but your FOV will be narrow.
>>
File: 1393434608660.jpg (3MB, 3554x2491px) Image search: [Google]
1393434608660.jpg
3MB, 3554x2491px
>>14122172

Guys. it's pretty obvious what control scheme would be best for the Vive.

Make it happen, Japan.
Make it FUCKING HAPPEN.
>>
>>14126505
>Vive
pleb shit

OBSERVE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAam8nWfrPA
>that nigga doing Sturm und Drang later in the video
>>
>>14112659
Just remake Virtual-On
>>
File: KYOJIIIIIII.gif (354KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
KYOJIIIIIII.gif
354KB, 480x270px
>>14126914
Just double-checked, I mixed up his ultimate attack name with his regular slashy attack. Oh well.
>>
>>14126914
This is so corny.
>>
>>14112632
Fuck sexrobots from GitS or Bubblegum Crisis.
Thread posts: 86
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.