[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tropes/Things/Lines you hate in mecha shows.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 214
Thread images: 37

>enemy appears in his mecha
>dodges weapon fire/weapon strike from protag's mecha in a manner that anyone would do
>"These movements... I recognize them. IT'S CATLIKE THUNDERBUTTE, John's top Ace and the Nightmare of Sodamon! Run MC-kun!"
>>
File: MSC-07_Albion_Anti-Air_Fire.jpg (72KB, 712x480px) Image search: [Google]
MSC-07_Albion_Anti-Air_Fire.jpg
72KB, 712x480px
>carrier ship/mothership anti-air guns filling the screen with anti-air fire
>nothing gets hit
>>
>>14105873
Sorta like Baghdad circa 1991?
>>
File: main_900.jpg (378KB, 900x599px) Image search: [Google]
main_900.jpg
378KB, 900x599px
>>14105891
Pic related.
>>
>>14105846
>RE5

Hold on a second, I need to check seomething.

yep. still furious.
>>
Damage only when dramatically appropriate.
>>
>>14105873
I think it was well done in 0083 desu
>>
>>14105846
"I know that fighting style! No doubt about it, it's Trowa!"
>Standing in one place firing a gattling gun straight ahead is a "fighting style"
>>
Oh man. I finally have an excuse to get this off my chest.

That tendency, especially in a lot of mecha anime, to refer to someone by their FULL NAME, not occasionally, but all the time. Even during casual scenes. Like, I understand if it's done during a pivotal moment like an announcement or to add gravitas to an introduction, but there some things where characters feel the need to say some characters' first, last, and in some cases middle name almost more than they're referred to as simply their first name. Even when it just doesn't make sense. I've noticed too that it tends to be characters with western names, or at least katakana prevalent names. The aristocratic European characters just love to do this, but it applies to any not Japanese name more often.

Like, I get that its probably a Japanese culture thing (although I really doubt from what I've seen that regular Japanese people talk like this.), but it just drives me nuts. Its so damn unnatural that it takes me out of a scene when its (often) inserted into a scene that just doesn't call for it.

Holy shit do I need a long, long time to wash out the sound of "Kudelia Aina Bernstein" out of my memory for a bit, but she's far from the first or perhaps even worst offender of this.

I know this is a trope that's bigger than just mecha anime, but a lot of mecha anime has done this too.
>>
File: WHOS-THAT-POKEMON-ITS-TROWA.jpg (93KB, 500x377px) Image search: [Google]
WHOS-THAT-POKEMON-ITS-TROWA.jpg
93KB, 500x377px
>>14105983
whoops, forgot pic.
>>
>>14105846
>Ships despite having tons of firepower hit nothing and get taken out with a single shot.
>>
>>14105983
no one else has done it before
>>
>>14105846

Every single last one of them in every single last circumstance.
>>
>protagonist scores nonstop dead shot bullseyes
>enemys can't hit him when he's standing totally still
>>
File: 2rxvd6d.jpg (228KB, 1199x879px)
2rxvd6d.jpg
228KB, 1199x879px
I don't even have to describe anything, just post a picture of this character.

He's just the final culmination/Sakamoto of a long running archetype in this genre.
>>
>>14106054

>Sakamoto

You know that really makes it occur to me that Inaho could have been a brilliant satire of this character type, if it weren't for the fact that series was expecting me to take it seriously.
>>
>>14106064

I don't follow.
>>
>>14106054

Archetypes in general are what bug me. Even though we see it done outside the genre, anime seems to be the worst perpetrator.
>>
File: musashi2.png (66KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
musashi2.png
66KB, 200x200px
I'm just gonna get it out of the way.

The fat/big/bara guy dying, especially if they're generally nice.

Like, I get it. I seriously get it. That doesn't not make it one of the laziest, overused, and most predictable tropes in existence nonetheless though. And while it's not one limited to mecha anime by a long shot, it is one that this genre's indulged in a ton nonetheless. You expect the nice big guy to die in a mecha anime far more than you expect it in a non-mecha anime (although its comparing different degrees of the same thing all the same.)
>>
>>14105992
Isnt that usually for the viewer? Reminds me of comic or cartoons where someone feels the need to explain their power as they use it.
>>
File: d022.jpg (406KB, 1590x1111px) Image search: [Google]
d022.jpg
406KB, 1590x1111px
>>14106083

He's probably talking about Sakamoto Desu Ga.

It's a pretty hilarious manga series that satirizes and just rips apart the archetypical "multi-talented and perfect at everything, stoic and beautiful student/young man with glasses and that same haircut" character. Like, even just look at him I'm sure you can name a number of characters who look and act exactly like him. An animated adaptation just started.

He's basically saying Inaho could have been (and arguably still is, albeit unintentionally)that for the savant mecha pilot teen protagonist.
>>
>>14105846

>Gary Stus
>protagonist gets visibly nervous when talking to or even about girls
>edgelords
>"shoot all the lasers" attack without aiming at anything
>all female characters are made to be waifu'd and nothing else
>protagonists are HS students
>"BROTHER!!!"
>having entire conversations about their feelings in the middle of a heated battle
>>
>>14106148

Maybe, but it's just as annoying as that but that's dipping into the /co/ version of this thread.

But you know, it's even more bewildering really. Because at least like, a super power is distinct and while its dumb that they'd have to explain it while using it, I can at least sort of understand that by utility.

But a person's full name? Is that really, honestly essential information for newcomers? And done so often?

You could develop drinking games over how often some anime does this.
>>
>>14105873

That's what they're for though

They're supposed to set up a screen of fire that prevents MS from getting close enough to enact murder against the battleship

Never works though
>>
>>14105891
>>14105894

That's because the Iraqi forces didn't know what to shoot at though because they couldn't see or detect the enemy.
>>
>>14106168
It's different when it's a non-jap name though, because japs can remember them about as well as I remember jap names. In other words, poorly. Gotta beat it into them.
>>
>>14105846
It's not unique to mecha but the idea that two characters can be love interests and all they do is shout each other's names.

Specifically to mecha, painting someone as a superior pilot when they always, ALWAYS have a mecha that is exponentially better than everything else on the battlefield.
>>
>>14106142

>IT'S ME!! WAHAHA!

Haha that pic of Musashi and the post goes so perfectly together.

But anyways while we're at it.

Character's past 30 having that 90% death flag over them. I get it too, and the Japanese youth fixation but come on...

Like, mecha anime is crazy guilty of doing this maybe even more than its normally done.
>>
>>14106179

Eh I don't really know if that's even it. When you see Japanese or even just Asian characters in western media, more often than not they're generally called their first or last name, or a nickname even...when it's appropriate.

Likewise, I really don't think the average Japanese animation viewer needs to know their full, first, middle, and last name every chance they get for the sake of memory that's kinda assuming a lot. And while it does happen to western/non japanese characters a lot it does happen with japanese characters as well from time to time.

I know for a fact regular, japanese people don't talk like that so its definitely an eccentricity exclusive to anime, manga or film, but I really doubt it's for that reason either.

Honestly I think writers just love spelling out weird (to them) sounding names in their full glory for fun. But whatever the case, it just kills the dialogue in whats often supposed to be a casual scene for me (or even during a fast paced action scene, like someone has the time to say someone's entire freaking title in the heat of battle.) It's so unnatural sounding, it's never going to not bother me a little.
>>
File: char_140221.jpg (19KB, 210x240px) Image search: [Google]
char_140221.jpg
19KB, 210x240px
>>14105992
Audrey Burne!
>>
>>14106224

Banashi Rinksu!
>>
>>14106216

Isn't it used generally for dramatic effect?
>>
>>14106139

Archetypes are unavoidable much of the time, but there IS a way to do it well (which ultimately, even if this is a bit of an overly pessimistic way of putting it, comes down to knowing how to camouflage it.).

Then there's just, the archetype just out in ver batem, volume turned up to max and no attempt to even mask it.

Which yeah, you definitely see a lot in anime (though most definitely not limited to).
>>
>>14105873
>>nothing gets hit
YOU got hit
>>
>>14106233

Like I said I understand when its used for dramatic effect. Like, if someone's challenging someone to a duel or they really, really want to make a point about how focused they are on someone, or really convey how heavy what they're about to tell someone is.

But I'm talking about doing that all the time, even when it's like...a casual conversation. I've seen this a lot.
>>
>>14106224
Banana!
>>
>>14106263

>Banana Rinksu!

fixed
>>
>>14105846

>mecha gets stronger from character yelling or being angry

>mecha breaks down
>character gets it to reactivate by yelling at it

>episode where side character suddenly gets characterization then dies

>the green in the face rookie gets to keep the super special snowflake mech even though there is a veteran who could use it better (at least in the beginning)
>>
>>14105873
That's the point, though. It's not necessarily supposed to hit anything; its main purpose is just to saturate the area around the ship and force enemy pilots to be more cautious about getting close.
>>
>>14106275

>episode where side character suddenly gets characterization then dies

lol

Also >>14106142

knockn' em all down.
>>
>Open communication channels to trade philosophy
Sometimes this works because it can be explained, like in some Gundam shows where direct connect has to be made so they can communicate. Others like Kira's last battle with Rau triggers me

>Girl must have a pink mecha
I know to sell toys or whatever pink is a near universal indicator of femininity but shit if it isn't always ugly

>calling out full names
I'm with this guy >>14105992

>suddenly at this pivotal moment a machine runs out of fuel, ammo or shows poor maintenance when this has never been an issue

>Peace princesses

>Bridge bunnies
>>
>watching Valvrave
>"Boku Janai" starts playin'

>>14105846
>tropes
>no frog OP
>>
>Peace princesses

Oh my god this.

Can we please put this trope to sleep for a while? God I wish they weren't so obsessed with this one.
>>
>War is shitty and main protags whine enough as is
>somehow this calls for a princess to add to the whining in order to "create peace". Fuck gundam for settng this trend. Also
>No female mech pilots ever and if there are they pilot a pink robot
At least build fighters made up for that a small bit.
>>
File: Roux_Louka.jpg (45KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
Roux_Louka.jpg
45KB, 960x720px
>>14106314

Well to be fair, while this is definitely a trope that exists it has had a lot of exceptions for a long time.
>>
File: What the hell.png (2MB, 1448x1080px) Image search: [Google]
What the hell.png
2MB, 1448x1080px
>>14106308
>wanting cancer frog to be posted ever
>>
>>14106314
>>
File: 3023.jpg (382KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
3023.jpg
382KB, 1920x1080px
>>14106314

to name a few
>>
File: mm_miriya_closeup.png (369KB, 579x440px) Image search: [Google]
mm_miriya_closeup.png
369KB, 579x440px
>>14106314

If you really think about it, at least as far as Gundam goes, there've been very few female pilots who have piloted something pink. Actually, the vast amount haven't.

The problematic trope for Gundam is more that female pilots are either sub-par or just bad, or if they're actually amazing and highly skilled...they're villains.

With some exceptions, like one of my favorites Miriya here (though even then now that I think about it, she started as a villain! lol)
>>
>>14106338

Oh and forgot to point out obviously Miriya is Macross obviously, getting outside of Gundam.
>>
File: Tieren_Taozi_Front_View.png (247KB, 704x400px) Image search: [Google]
Tieren_Taozi_Front_View.png
247KB, 704x400px
>>14106338
>there've been very few female pilots who have piloted something pink
Did you forget 00?
>>
>>14106338
The main reason they tend to not pilot pink machines in Gundam might have something to do with their tendency to get hand-me-downs.
>>
>>14105983
To be fair, that is exactly Trowa's fighting style.

Notice the second Heero got in the Heavyarms, he made it fucking dance.
>>
>>14106349
>Cagalli - Strike Rouge
>Soma - Tieren Taozi
>Quess - Jagd Doga
>Yurine - Farsia
>Hairsocks - Fawn Farsia
>Kirara - Gerbera Tetra
Who else?
>>
>>14106349

No I didn't but I said very few, not none. Reading comprehension anon.

Roux Rouka = Zeta Gundam
Emma Sheen = Rick Dias/Gundam Mk II
Haman Karn = Quebeley
Cecilly Fairchild = Vigna Gina
Marida Cruz = Kshatriya/Banshee Gundam
Lucrecia Noin = multiple OZ MS, none of which were Pink
Rain Mikamura = Rising Gundam
Just to name a few.

I wasn't saying NO female pilots piloted something pink, just that over the course of the entire metaseries of Gundam more have piloted ones that weren't Pink.

If your only experience is 00 and SEED I'm not surprised you'd think this, but its not true. That really hasn't been as much of an issue as that poster made it seem as far as Gundam's concerned at least.
>>
File: CJH57tE[1].gif (450KB, 450x297px)
CJH57tE[1].gif
450KB, 450x297px
>>14106363
Trowa made it spin though
>>
File: Agx-04.jpg (1MB, 2602x2384px)
Agx-04.jpg
1MB, 2602x2384px
>>14106367
>Kirara - Gerbera Tetra

No.
>>
>>14106360
Fa got her own fucking mobile suit. The Metheuss.

In fact, WHY did she get that suit? Was she even a pilot beforehand? I thought she was just a bridge bunny/walking stress reliever, but here she is, getting her own unique one of a kind MS.
>>
>>14106338
>The problematic trope for Gundam is more that female pilots are either sub-par or just bad, or if they're actually amazing and highly skilled...they're villains.

Emma Sheen, Elle Vianno, and Roux Louka come to mind.

They weren't amazing, but they were definitely above average (or at least became so over time, with the latter two,) and Emma was most definitely competent.

Then there's characters like Asuna Elmarit, who's become borderline sue status in the piloting skill department, taking on near dozen or so Hizacks and GM Quels in a simple training MS...armed with nothing but a beam saber. Even Amuro was never THAT good.
>>
>>14106285
That stopped being how land based anti-aircraft gunfire worked mid way though world war two and was never how naval anti-aircraft gunfire worked.

Ships doing this in a sci-fi setting with directed energy weapons that can't even have altitude fused warheads is utterly retarded. They should be shooting at something or not shooting at all.
>>
>>14106378

He does have a point though with the hand-me-down syndrome. That's definitely a lot more an issue than pink mobile suits.

There are exceptions, but when it comes to named or main characters they seem to be in the minority.
>>
File: 34[1].jpg (203KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
34[1].jpg
203KB, 1600x900px
>>14106377
Yes.
>>
>>14106380

They're competent or above average, but very rarely like...amazing. There's exceptions before I'm bombared with them, but generally speaking if someone's on the level of say the protagonist, they're usually on the other side.

Asuna's definitely in a huge minority in the Gundam universe, although she is kind of ridiculous but I can't help but feel like she was made so in a reactionary way.
>>
>>14106378
Because someone has to pilot the Methuss
>>
>>14106393

No.

I still just don't want to believe they colored the Gebera Tetra pink.
>>
>>14106386
How many girls actually got hand me downs though?

The entire ZZ team was made of hand me downs
Impulse
Shining
ReGZ
>>
>>14106405
Sorry but it's canon. She pilots a pink Gerbera.

https://youtu.be/h-FVyHGZI0Y?t=17m30s
>>
If anything, women or girls piloting pink mobile suits is more of a growing recent trend in Gundam. It wasn't as prevalent a trope in the past.

In b4 DAMNYOUMOECULTURE
>>
File: 1392686489817_zpsd1fa079d.jpg (659KB, 1719x1240px) Image search: [Google]
1392686489817_zpsd1fa079d.jpg
659KB, 1719x1240px
"Souls dragged down by gravity" is a stupid fucking phrase that was tolerable once but is completely infuriating with the amount of times it's been shoved in our faces. It's not clever. It was never clever. Just stop.
>>
>>14106429

I know its canon anon.
>>
>>14106418

Emma
While Cagali's Strike Rouge wasn't a hand-me-down per se it was still an iteration of what the main character had used before his upgrade.
You could -maybe- argue that Rising Gundam falls in that category too but again its not a direct hand me down.

Not related to Gundam, but If you go way, way back to the ancient canals of mecha anime it's a trope that was done in a really uniformed way back in the 80s.

Zabungle did it
Dunbine did it
L-Gaim then did it.

All in like, the exact same fashion and you could lump Zeta Gundam into that group too its kind of funny how by the book the process was at the time.
>>
>>14106142

I'm still waiting for the day where the fat guy is one of the only survivors. (in something where he's not forgotten as part of a 5-6 member team.)

It'd be damn original at this point, especially if the show plays around with the characters' inherant death flag.
>>
>>14106398
This.

Other than max acceleration, the Methuss was basically an extremely cheap to repair, easy to pilot deathtrap. The fact that Fa used it almost exclusively and came out the only real non-casualty among the AEUG's pilots speaks volumes about her oft underestimated piloting ability.
>>
File: hqdefault (3).jpg (9KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault (3).jpg
9KB, 480x360px
>>14106458

>oft underes[timated piloting ability.

I wonder if in another universe, Fa was the one who piloted Zeta and Kamille the Methuss, and their roles were reversed with her becoming a vegetable and Kamille wheeling her around.

Why am I even thinking about this?

I don't know.
>>
>>14105992
>Marina Ismail
>>
>>14106458
Does Fa get any kills?
>>
>>14106468
>tfw no Kamille awkwardly but sweetly taking care of a vegetable Fa
>>
>>14106458
From what I recall, she got her shit kicked in by early series Mashmyre Cello of all people, so she's probably just good at maneuvering.
>>
File: 1361846450556.png (94KB, 552x325px) Image search: [Google]
1361846450556.png
94KB, 552x325px
>Pilot uses super-fast mech or alt-mode that turns it SANIC-tier
>Handwave away how they aren't being turned to paste by the sheer G-Force
>>
>>14106508
Yeah, she used the Zeta a few times in ZZ but never did well so Judau took over.
>>
>>14106458
The Methuss benefited from the mysterious stat boosts that all the transformable mecha in Zeta got. It was shit, but it was better shit than those boring old non-transforming MS.

I like how they gave up on it in ZZ. Did it show up even once? They managed to repair the Hyaku Shiki which didn't even have limbs and was inside an exploding ship, but didn't even bother with the 'easy to repair' Methuss.
>>
>>14106501

It goes without saying doesn't it?
>>
>>14106501

And then Kamille became a doctor.

Holy shit it makes so much more sense.
>>
>>14106519
They repaired it and Fa used it for a bit before flying off to where ever Kamille was at the time.
>>
>>14106519

Isn't the ZZ Hyaku Shiki a different Hyaku from the one that Quattro used in Zeta?
>>
>>14106553

They never actually specified whether it was a new Hyaku Shiki, or the old one which was recovered and repaired. They just...got another one.

I guess, logically speaking, it'd be more sensible to assume it's a second Delta prototype than the idea of them finding Char's drifting Hyaku Shiki and taking the time to practically rebuild it.
>>
File: V_LD_04.jpg (372KB, 1807x1832px) Image search: [Google]
V_LD_04.jpg
372KB, 1807x1832px
>>14106418
Marbet, maybe. I mean, technically, everyone was piloting the mass-produced V1s at that point, but she got the hand-me-down v-fin head, if that counts.
>>
>>14106449
>Xabungle, Dunbine, L-Gaim
Which are all Tomino shows, incidentally.
I'm trying to think of examples of this that are neither Gundam nor Tomino related, and I can't come up with a single one.
>>
>MC whiny/spoiled
>MC a teen
>love/non-combatant women being anywhere near a battlefield
>any kind of plot armor that isn't actual skill/strategy/believable
Front Mission anime when?
>>
>>14106564

Why they didn't give her the second V2, at least for a while (you know, before they found out she was pregnant) is beyond my comprehension.
>>
>>14106593
Oliver kamikaze'd the second core fighter and they didn't have a spare.
>>
>>14106593
Because her husband was a genius strategist.
>>
>>14106593

I thought they only had two V2 core fighters. One went to Uso, naturally. The other was destroyed when Oliver Inoe rammed it into one of the bike battleships when the group encountered the Zanscare fleet leaving the Moon for Earth.

I've forgotten whether he was assigned the other V2 core fighter as its permanent pilot, or if they were just taking it out for a run, though.
>>
>>14106607

Thats what I mean. They gave it to Oliver, who ended up crashing it.

Why from the start they didn't give it to arguably one of their best, most experienced pilots has just always bothered me.

They could have had two V2 Gundams at the Battle of Angel Halo, even if she weren't piloting it by then (Who knows, we could have saved Odelo )
>>
>>14106142

You know I was pretty surprised that he played this trope so straight in the manga, with not just Musashi, but Benkei AND Gai dying too, the latter two in surprisingly unceremonious ways. I guess its cause of SRW and all the Getter animations but I'd always pictured Benkei as remaining the definitive 3rd guy after Musashi, who'd only die when Ryoma and Hayato did like in Armageddon.
>>
>Everyone except the protagonist is a useless jobber
>Extra points if the protagonist has extreme plot shield and easily destroys mooks who are just standing there and unable to land a shot on him

>Unrealistically young main cast, everyone older than 20 is useless and/or evil
>Characters act much older than their official ages indicate, too

>Space nazis kill a lot of people
>They get sympathetic treatment because muh ideals or because one of them feels a little sad onscreen

>Protagonist mows down hordes of enemy soldiers without a second thought
>Beats up the ace character but lets him go to fight another day because muh honorable rival

Alternatively

>Protagonist mows down hordes of enemy soldiers without a thought
>Preaches pacifism because he spared an enemy ace who had a face and a name
>>
File: wp_ss_20160327_0003.png (971KB, 1280x768px) Image search: [Google]
wp_ss_20160327_0003.png
971KB, 1280x768px
>>14106584
>tfw there will never be a Steel Battalion anime
>>
File: V Gundam Sidestory 064.jpg (1MB, 2954x2127px) Image search: [Google]
V Gundam Sidestory 064.jpg
1MB, 2954x2127px
>>14106629
it could be said that there's likely more elsewhere, but then it makes the protagonist's unit less special

I lol'd at that victory sidestory manga where they introduced a newtype brown girl and she gets to pilot a V2 in custom colors alongside Uso who only gets to pilot a standard V1 gundam

Uso at that point still only had a V1 gundam so it's before he received his own V2 gundam
>>
>>14106692
Is that a Kampfer with funnels?
>>
>>14105992
For reasons only Gabe Newell knows, an oddly large number of people call me by my full name. Far too frequently. Somewhat coincidentally, I'm half-Japanese (non-Japanese name outside of my middle name, which I keep under wraps for employment purposes in the backwater redneck town I'm stuck in), but I don't think that has anything to do with it. It's probably just a thing that works with some names and not others. I don't know.
>>
>>14106737

Kinda like Matt Damon

Seriously when is the last time any of you didn't call him Matt Damon?
>>
>>14106752
That goes for all celebrities or people with common first names
>>
>>14106737
>Gabe Newell
You mean gaben?
>>
Most mecha's heights being 15-18m.
>>
>>14106165
>having entire conversations about their feelings in the middle of a heated battle.
Fuck yes, this is my personal pet peeve in any mecha animu, especially in Gundam combined with all the newtype magic and bullshits
>>
>Retreat, we have the data we need
>That's an order
>>
Allenby doesn't get a hand me down, in fact her Gundam is purpose built for her. I don't know why anyone would mention Rain before Allenby when she had more screentime piloting
>>
>>14105846

>wars exist because of hatred, understanding our enemies will bring peace

No matter what else happened, I loved the scene in A/Z where Inaho shuts down the princess by explaining war is usually about politics and resources, so her simplistic views of war and peace won't solve anything.

Then I started on Gundam 00 and there's another fucking peace princess forced into the plot in a way that makes no sense.
>>
>>14105846
HE'S FAST
>>
I never understood how some naive princess breathlessly telling adults that bad things are bad is supposed to solve anything. It only makes me think of thishttps://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RVHQJlogH0k
>>
File: 1406112486273.gif (527KB, 300x166px) Image search: [Google]
1406112486273.gif
527KB, 300x166px
>That's no pilot; that's a demon/monster/machine!
>>
>>14105846
>Massive ship gets hit in space, starts sinking like it's in water
I actually like that trope, but I can see why many wouldn't

>>14105983
Serpents were based off Heavyarms
And they were developed secretly.
Maybe Duo didn't know it was a mass produced suit, and assumed Trowa had some custom MS.

'probably giving the writers way too much credit though.
>>
>>14107214
Rain is the female lead of the show.

She also kind of gets me a hand-me-sideways since she pilots Shining Gundam at least once while Domon's still using it.
>>
>battleships are paper thin aircraft carriers that get completely obliterated by single shots from a grunt with no indication that it was some vulnerable spot

why are they even fielded, just make an actual lightly/unarmed carrier thats either small and mobile like the one from 00 or just a massive supertanker with like a whole army of units on board

or better yet please give me more macross style capital ships that actually do work
>>
When they want you to just accept someone as an ace pilot, almost always the rival

>tell you its an ace
>all the mooks shit their pants OH MY GOD IT'S ACE
>commanding officers and captains advise retreat, watch out protag, thats their ace
>has a custom stand out mech, might even have a theme song
>never does anything noteworthy
>never gets solitary screentime to build himself up as a credible threat
>only ever around to fight the MC and lose to make the MC look good/move the plot forward
>by the end of the series all he did was job again and againother than his very first appearance

I fucking hate this shit man, don't tell me the guy is good, show it. Have him wreck loads of grunts, non lethal shoot downs of named characters if you're not willing to kill some off. Build the reputation amongst the fan community not just in throwaway lines
>>
>>14106458
>The fact that Fa used it almost exclusively and came out the only real non-casualty among the AEUG's pilots speaks volumes about her oft underestimated piloting ability.
It also helps that Bright benched her as often as possible. In the later portions of the show he almost never sends out the Methuss and he even makes a point of not sending Fa out because she'll get killed.
>>
>>14107351
but its not about leads, its about female pilots who do or don't get hand me down units. Rain does, she's part of the problem, Allenby gets a purpose built, unique unit she bucks the trend.
>>
File: [screams internally].gif (3MB, 322x278px) Image search: [Google]
[screams internally].gif
3MB, 322x278px
>"Come on, <mecha's name>. Move one more time for me."
>>
>>14106484
I can actually accept the way Setsuna does that, since he's obviously shown to have next to no idea as to what social interaction is, save for the very bare minimum. His talking tends to be somewhat stilted or overly direct in general, so it's at least consistent and towards the end, I believe he starts occasionally calling people by just their first names.
>>
>>14107355
>or better yet please give me more Macross-TYPE capital ships that actually do work

The normal capital ships in Macross don't exactly have a very stellar track record either.
>>
>>14107108
>macrossmind
>>
>>14106165
>having entire conversations about their feelings in the middle of a heated battle
If you pay attention, youll see they're usually actually talking to themselves
>>
File: Dolos_lineart.jpg (46KB, 400x251px) Image search: [Google]
Dolos_lineart.jpg
46KB, 400x251px
>>14107355
>just a massive supertanker with like a whole army of units on board
They tried that once.

If I'm honest I feel like most anything that isn't a Salamis, Magellan, or Musai-type/descendant most likely will not job.
Thinking about it, most of the time in Gundam it feels like ships are just like MS in jobbing terms. Some job and die, most just fight in the background, and some kick ass. For every Reinforce Jr. you get like twenty plus Magellans.
>>
>>14105992

Sumeragi Ree Noriega.
>>
>>14106142
>guy with a mustache or black man always dies first in unspectacular fashion

I simply don't get it.
>>
>>14106142
>fat dying
I was pleasantly surprised when Galient didn't do it. Granted, Takahashi doesn't usually have the habit of wiping out entire casts, but still.
>>
>>14107936
What even started that anyway?
>>
>>14105992
>Kudelia Aina Bernstein
Jesus fuck, I actually heard it in my mind when I read this
>>
Alien invasions (and I mean raw straight up ayylmaos that have little to nothing in common with human beings) where the invaders have the inherent advantage.

I really think invader advantage is bogus, the only thing more bogus being when you have invader advantage but then some convenient contrivance that could only happen on Earth comes in to save the day.
>>
>>14108592
I think the idea that intergalactic travel always has prerequisites that, when met, would confer battlefield advantage to itself be bogus.

What if it's a nomadic population of space squid whose squid-babbies are adapted for terrestrial life?

What if their means of intergalactic travel is all based on ancient technology they have no real understanding of on a mechanical level?

What if by some weird fluke it's just easier for these aliens to get out to space than it is to blow shit up?
>>
>>14105992
Kind of why I don't like Relena from Wing.
>My name is Relena Darlian! For the third fucking time!
>>
>>14106175

Americans are fast!
>>
>>14108616
Evolution suggests that they'd probably be pretty good at dealing with life-forms if their life cycle relies on being able to survive on a planet much like ours. This is a fair example because the squid could be the only one of the hundreds of trillions of offspring to accidentally run into an advanced civilization (very plausible if they try to cover entire rocky planets with their squid babbies and assuming Earth is one of the few races that are in the galaxy/universe, or maybe greater civilizations just treat them as pests and it's adverse for them to evolve to deal with it instead of pumping out more squidlets), but then I can't imagine we'd deal with it like an invasion. They'd just try to root in the ground or float around and we'd make fairly short work of them, although panic and isolated squid attacks would cause plenty of deaths. In other words, not really an invasion.

Then why invade? There would have to be a highly specific set of circumstances for a race to be floating around in a weaponless vessel they can't understand looking to pillage (or whatever it is that ayylmaos beyond our understanding or reasoning do). You can see why it isn't super common.

Ram a spaceship into the planet at intergalactic speed if it doesn't use warp/fold/wormhole tech. Or teleport shit directly into enemy base. Or teleport enemy's shit into the sun. Otherwise use the power source as bombs.

If the civilization can maintain or build these ships, they know how to direct energy into things. If you can do that, you can blow shit up. Yes, there are plenty of exceptions, especially if the invasion did not expect humanity to be there or if natural forces simply caused a Venus-bound space squid to release its squidlets in our atmosphere. But extremely technologically superior invaders who suck at invading is not something humanity is used to historically, so it's kind of outside our realm of believability.
>>
>Could this guy be a newtype?
>>
>>14107757
>If you pay attention, youll see they're usually actually talking to themselves

I always thought about that. Why are two enemies broadcasting on the same channel? Are they just using some open channel where everybody can hear? Wouldn't that pose security vulnerability? Could other people hear what they're saying? If they can, why don't they tell them to shut the fuck up?
>>
File: 423289868.jpg (105KB, 600x432px) Image search: [Google]
423289868.jpg
105KB, 600x432px
>>14106484
>Marina Ismail

It's a Moby Dick or nautical reference.
>>
>>14110203
>YOU DON'T GET IT, THE ZEON ARE AT FAULT FOR-
>PRIVATE SHUT THE FUCK UP ALREADY
>>
>>14106275
>mecha gets stronger from character yelling or being angry
>mecha breaks down
>character gets it to reactivate by yelling at it

>>14107439
>"Come on, <mecha's name>. Move one more time for me."

I must admit that I actually find these ones pretty cool to be honest. When a pilot begs to his destroyed machine to stand up and fight one more time and then the eyes of the mech start glowing as it stands up, it means shit's about to go down. I know it's a pretty dumb thing even more so if it happens in "real robot" shows since a machine wouldn't do that but it gives it a "it's more like a sentient being than a machine" vibe. It creates a neat link between the pilot and the robot too, like if the robot was more like an extension of the pilot than just a machine.
Any specific shows you were refering to, anons? This trope may be cool or not depending on the show.
>>
>>14110211

> it rhymes
> and has some of the same letters
> therefor it's a reference
>>
While we are arguing about intergalactic travelling civilizations, I think it again just shows that sci-fi writers have no sense of scale. sorry for trope speak Why would an advanced race leave their galaxy to invade a backwater planet for resources and tell the locals to build pyramids or something when they already have an enormous galaxy to dick around in. Interstellar invaders are somewhat more plausible since they are already in the neighbourhood. But aliens invading for resources is still one of my more hated tropes because it doesn't make sense.
>>
>>14110306
Actually, I think the whole thing about pilots talking to their totaled machines is kind of true as well.
There are bomb disposal people that mourn the destruction of their bomb disposal robots. After a while, people just create a bond with these non-sentient machines.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2081437/Soldiers-mourn-iRobot-PackBot-device-named-Scooby-Doo-defused-19-bombs.html
>>
>>14106560
>Chars
You mean Quattro's.
>>
>>14106708
>>14106692
That Kampfer looks boss as fuck
>>
>>14106310
I like Marina the most of the Gundam peace princesses, largely because she DOESN'T do anything notable beyond occasional interactions with Setsuna.
>>
>>14110306
It's a Shinto thing
>>
>>14110583
I think it goes beyond the Shinto idea of kami in everything, though.

Naming inanimate things, characterizing them with quirks (whether perceived or real) and other anthropomorphisms, that seems to just be an inherent human thing.
>>
>>14106142

You got a problem with Getter, faggot?
>>
>>14108616
Anon please, what do you thinik its harder? Travelling between solar system or galaxies or fighting a race that cannot go beyond its own planet? Look at Gundam 00 if you want to see what a "race of space squids who adapted to travel in space" would be like they do not have tech levels they are beings who evolved naturally to be able to travel through space, a race that creates things to travel through space is already pretty high on the evolutionary ladder but a race that evovled their own bodies to be able to deal with the radiation and resrouces needed to travel through space is closer to a god than to anything we have ever seen.
They have the advatage from the moment they managed to safely travel beyond their solar system in one go
>>
File: aceburgers.jpg (890KB, 3000x2182px)
aceburgers.jpg
890KB, 3000x2182px
>The ace pilot with more experience and skill than the protagonist dies first.
>>
>>14110619
Well, that Shinto belief is that everything has a spirit, and in animu, that spirit will manifest in desperate moments to help.

Personally I think it only works when the mech is at least as much a character as the pilot.
>>
>>14106314
Zeta had quite a few female pilots in non girly MS. Hell, both Psyco Gundams were female piloted, and Emma took over the Mk.II
Even the Methuss wasn't girly, even if it was weaker.
>>
>>14106367
Given the wackiness of some of the MS designs and colours in BF, I'm not sure if Kirara should count
>>
File: 1379871938802.jpg (178KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1379871938802.jpg
178KB, 500x500px
>>14106338
>problematic
>>
>>14105846

You better not be implying that RE5 wasn't fun as hell when you had a real person take over Sheva.
>>
>bad guy/mothership fires a laser at MC in dramatic moment
>MC stands still in robot and just slightly dodges the blast with a casual nod of the head
>THE LASER EXPLODES BEHIND HIM EVEN THOUGH ITS SPACE OR ON EARTH IT DOESNT FALL IN AN ARC
>>
>>14110916

So pretty much only the Brave series then.
>>
>>14106325
Best pilot, best mecha.
>>14106332
Also very good on both counts.
>>
>>14106314

Why do people care about this so much or even at all?
>>
>>14111825
Because variety is nice? I don't know, there's just something neat about having a cool girl in the cockpit versus a cool guy. As people have pointed out though, a number of the most loved /m/en are in fact wo/m/en anyway, generally without pink robots.
>>
>>14111825
Because tough pilot chicks make my dick hard

So does Mwu La Flaga, but that's just because he's super hot
>>
>>14111825
Pink is a shitty color by principle.
Purple is where it's at.
>>
>>14111919
Purple's the color of insanity, though. And royalty,but those two things tend to overlap.
>>
>>14111925
As a February-born man, it's my responsibility to behead those who insult purple.

Even if I don't really care for the color.
>>
File: Jagd Doga Quess.jpg (253KB, 367x477px)
Jagd Doga Quess.jpg
253KB, 367x477px
>>14106367
>Quess - Jagd Doga
That one's red.
>>
>>14106363
Got his shit kicked in by Tallgeese too.
>>
>>14110916
I think the original Gundam does a very good job of it. Like the show makes the Gundam a character just by having it be so prominent, but there's never any real crazy IT'S ALIVE moments - just the last shooting, which has (if I remember right) a semi-rational explanation. But even so you end up feeling sad when the RX-78 melts in a way that Gundam normally struggles to achieve. I think sticking with one robot for the whole series really helps in that respect.
>>
>>14111884

Not seeing it.

>>14111929
Same, though I do actually like purple.
>>
>>14111929
>>14111925
Since when is purple the color of insanity? Also months have corresponding colors?
>>
>>14112467
>months have corresponding colors

Birthstones.
>>
Women piloting mechs. It's so unrealistic it breaks my suspension of disbelief.
>>
File: 1440712399078.gif (2MB, 450x257px) Image search: [Google]
1440712399078.gif
2MB, 450x257px
>>14106338
>>>>≥>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>problematic
>>
HAI HAI

>"It's fast!"
>>
>MC is a kissless virgin
>girls literally throwing themselves crotch first at him
>he recoils and acts as if this is literally the worst thing that could ever happen to anyone
>>
>>14111825

Variety is the spice of life, senpai.
>>
>>14107435

I'm not getting this, why is that a problem?
>>
>>14107885
>Ree
>REEEEEEE INNOVADES LEAVE REEEEE
>>
>>14105846
I hate the word "tropes".
>>
>>14114535
Because of an idiotic association hangup.

Trope is the correct word. Get your head out of your ass.
>I'm not going to use a word because people I don't like use it
i still say shitlord and I don't give a damn about who else does. Grow up.
>>
>>14114574

It's not an idiotic association hangup though. Also, I hope you realize how stupid it sounds for a manchild to tell another person to grow up.
>>
>Mecha Mook Ace Pilot Custom Paintjob Version
>Alright whats the non-ace custom version look like?
>What are you talking about, here's the Ace Pilot version
Gelgoog High Mobility Type and Gelgoog Marine Commander Type I'm looking at you, I don't want to see Ridden or Cima's custom paintjobs I want to see the normal version
>>
>MC gleefully slaughters nameless mooks without batting an eyelash, but feels sad when a named rival type character dies, then goes back to gleefully killing mooks
>MC preaches about how war is bad and fighting is bad, while doing so in a mech that can't be hurt by the enemy
>Peace princesses
>>
>>14105846
>Small & Vulnerable but necessary robot combiner parts in a combiner with more than two parts.
>Real robots that fire gigantic beams.
>>
>>14117881
>Small & Vulnerable but necessary robot combiner parts in a combiner with more than two parts
Like what?
>Real robots that fire gigantic beams
I guess it ain't a RR then, huh?
>>
File: Might Gaine.jpg (96KB, 787x1100px) Image search: [Google]
Might Gaine.jpg
96KB, 787x1100px
>>14117885
The small parts thing I've seen with Brave and Sentai Mechs where a fist or a belt or a shoulder or a chestplate is relatively weaker to the rest of the parts, but you still need it. Might Gaine probably bothers me the most, like you could just not make it a combiner. That train is big man.
>>
>>14117801
I always forget that the Gelgoog isn't red because all I see is Char's and the Jäger.
>>
>>14117984
>Can we be done with pretty much all good /m/ material as a whole?
You seem to be on the wrong board.
>>
>>14117962
I don't know why they still do it though, as long as there's been a High Mobility Gelgoog, and Zaku they never have the normal, not ace pilot versions and its really annoying. This wouldn't be so bad if it was explained as a one off, but there's like 20 High Mobility Zakus, 40 Gelgoog Commanders, etc
>>
File: m11_m0009.jpg (104KB, 528x761px) Image search: [Google]
m11_m0009.jpg
104KB, 528x761px
>>14117962
You clearly don't build gunpla or play Mobile Suit Gundam Online or the Lost War Chronicles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBm5ifjuc9w
>>
>>14118029
I build gunpla but I don't play games. I just upgraded to the point where I would able to play SDGO but obviously that's not possible anymore. Maybe I should try downloading a game soon.

I don't have a Gelgoog in my gunpla collection.
>>
>Character with little to no pilot experience is able to defeat (or even kill) someone who is either a experienced pilot or a ace
>>
>>14118047
You should. Then again, I'm biased in that it's my favorite Mobile Suit.
>>
>>14118060
Why? Because it makes things you don't like? Sounds pretty petty of you.
>>
>>14118066
Fair enough, I really like the design. The dual beam naginata is really interesting, too. I've just never gotten around to it.
>>
>>14105873
http://i.4cdn.org/wsg/1460653455487.webm
>>
>>14118083
What the absolute fuck is that?
>>
>>14118091
Why are you posting it in a thread about things you hate then
>>
>>14118083
>GET SOME FUCKIN' HE HERE!!!!

well thats arty for sure.
>>
>>14118094
Phalanx Anti-Missile Gun being used in Iraq or Afghan.
>>
>>14105846
unrealistic orbital mechanics
>>
>>14112480
The hell is that?
>>
>Dumbfire rocket launchers in space
>Flying into gunfire as great speed counts as dodging
>Rookies barging in and stealing top class equipment to fight with, and promptly forget how to fight
>"So this... is a battlefield"
>Mooks that blow up in a single shot, I at least want to see some damage or robot gore please
>Obviously ballistic weapons which now act as beam weapons

I am however a big sucker for the "Come on robot... get up just one last time!" deal, I mean come on haven't you watched Terminator 2?
>>
>>14118083
I feel there's a big difference between firing at a jet going Mach Whatever that is many thousands of feet away and landships failing to hit a 30x20x15 man-shaped robo-box doing 150mph from within pistoling distance.

Mecha shows have really shit FCS.
>>
>>14118398
>FCS
?
>>
>>14118408
Fire control systems.
>>
>>14118298
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birthstone
>>
>>14117932
Not sure if this is what you meant, but I fucking hate it when robots combine but all it amounts to is an extra chestplate and some slippers on one of them. Braves are probably the worst offenders here(looking at you, Fire J-Decker)
>>
>>14118468
At least J-Decker makes up for that in a multitude of other ways
>>
>>14110320
for once I want to see an invasion be justified under this line of commentary in the feature and have someone say
>lack of competition is a pretty valuable resource
>>
>>14106665
>Everyone except the protagonist is a useless jobber
>Extra points if the protagonist has extreme plot shield and easily destroys mooks who are just standing there and unable to land a shot on him

I don't know why so many mecha shows feel the need to do this.
>>
>>14118398
what makes it worse is that is the phalanx system, meant to shoot incoming mortar/rockets. gotta love phalanx rounds too- the detonate after a certain amount of revolution, as to decrease casualties.
>>
File: 1437562243599.gif (1001KB, 440x300px) Image search: [Google]
1437562243599.gif
1001KB, 440x300px
>>14118083
christ
>>
>>14119366
Easier to animate than actual fights.
>>
>>14119407
Can't they just have more stock footage of shooting randomly.
>>
>>14118440
Thats pretty cool
Thread posts: 214
Thread images: 37

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.