[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Wing vs. Endless Waltz

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 118
Thread images: 28

File: TV-VS-EW.jpg (457KB, 1003x2280px) Image search: [Google]
TV-VS-EW.jpg
457KB, 1003x2280px
A'ight I know Wing as a whole is either liked or hated around these parts, that's fine, but I wanna talk about the Gundams themselves.

Which designs did you prefer, the originals or the EW redesigns? Personally, I'm a "less is more" guy, I think the EW suits look like absolute garbage in comparison to the originals.

>Wing Zero dropped a pretty good colour scheme for MUH BLUE, and of course those dumb fucking wings are beyond stupid.
>Deathsycthe Hell is now EDGELORD MAXIMUM.
>Heavyarms Kai is FOR SOME STUPID FUCKING REASON now a bubblegum-ice-cream-post-digestion bluish green. The double miniguns barely make up for this. (Heavyarms is one of my fave Gundams across the franchise)
>Sandrock Kai has been coloured to look like your average whoop-dee-doo protagonist Gundam and lost it's based as fuck cobra shield.
>Altron is probably the least offensive of the bunch, I actually like the shade of green, but those dragon arms look a bit too big for my liking.

I'm not saying the Wing suits were perfect or anything, but I felt they were a heck of a lot better than these "revisions" and the fact that they're now canon triggers the piss out of me. I'd really like to see some other opinions on this, I'm not opposed to people liking EW more, but I really hope I'm not alone on this.
>>
>>14096307
yeah sometimes it pisses me of in gundam games where the unit's upgrade got fewer weapon, although it's more powerful

except Heavy Arms. fuck i love using him in ACE2
>>
>>14096307
Honestly, I fucking love Wing Zero.
Those Wings are the most iconic part of Wing to me, and look graceful
>>
>>14096323
But in a combat situation they do jack and shit in means of anything.
>>
I prefer the EW designs, they're just more nuanced and stylish.
>>
>I'm a "less is more" guy, I think the EW suits like like absolute garbage in comparison to the originals.

Which is funny considering generally, other than of course Wing Zero, the EW designs are generally less busy and more streamlined. Deathscythe Hell doesn't have the double scythe (which was kind of stupidly redundant if you think about it), and its veil may look more edge lord but it also looks more functionally streamlined, Sandrock Kai looks more sleeker and faster, Altron's design is slimmer and less busy. Even the Wing Zero, love or hate the visual look of the wings, at least on paper is a more functional sounding concept by doing away with the kind of lazy looking transformation in favor of an extremely complex propulsion system to give it unparalleled mobility and speed (that also double as make-shift shields). Like, the concept of it is really cool I just wish the wings were a little less busy.

I'm not outright stating my preferences yet, I'm just saying I find it a bit funny you've said your preference for the TV versions because "less is more" when at least to me, the TV version Gundams especially the upgrades had a lot more gimmicks that the EW designs did away with.

Anyways I dunno, I'm not really all that partial to either overall. I do think the EW lineart is substantially more visually appealing (I mean, all the TV ones there look like they're in this constipated pose to me. I'm sorry I just can't get it out of my head.) but there are kind of elements of both I like and don't like.
>>
>>14096353

(continued)

Anyways,

Wing Zero - I think the more uniformed color scheme of the Custom is a lot nicer, focusing more on the whites and blues, the TV one's color scheme is just too all over the place. I also like the body (shoulder pads etc) of the Custom a lot more, and as said I like that it's more streamlined with doing away with the shield and (imo) lazy transformation gimmick. The wings are just a bit too much though, I mean it makes for great money shots and like I said I do love the idea of a multi segmented, intricate vernier system on its back to really emphasize that Wing Zero is about mobility but I just wish it was scaled back a little more. Maybe a slight angelic motif, but not the whole organic mile.

Deathscythe - Again I like the colors of the EW version, less whites, but overall I actually much prefer the TV version of Deathscythe Hell. The flaps may be a bit invasive but they're just cool, and more Grim Reaper esque than bat wings. I do like the idea of just making the scythe bigger and more powerful instead of putting two scythe blades there.

Heavyarms - Honestly it had the least changes so I can't really decide. I guess the red and white is nice but I really love dark green and it's a more sensible color too. I guess I'm gonna go with the EW one, but it's like choosing between a red and green apple to me.

Sandrock Kai - Now I can't agree with you at all here, I think the EW version of Kai was the most improved design. The original Sandrock was always so...blah to me. I dunno maybe it was just the pilot, or its use but it just never really caught my attention. The EW one on the other hand, has this trim and speedy looking design with less frivolities, and the way the blades can attach to the back is just cool. And this is without the big tattered cape. Now, I'm guessing you hate the cloak and that's fine, it's preference but...I just can't be told I have to not like a ripped cloak on a giant robot.
>>
>>14096359

As for Altron/Nataku - I'm not the biggest fan of Wufei's Gundam either way but if I have to choose, again, I'm gonna have to go with the EW one. The Dragon clamps' length do seem a bit exaggerated, but the color and the far, far less obnoxiously busy look with that flame thrower tail and that stupid shoulder shield along with a trimmer build makes it just look a lot more like a specialized melee combat suit like it's supposed to be.
>>
>>14096307
Wing and Deathscythe: Garish, but it actually works. Base designs are better in EW (obviously since they don't have to have to simplify it for TV animation) but the accessories push it. I like it though.
Heavyarms: Could go either way, but EW edges ahead. Could have used a slightly nicer paint job.
Sandrock and Shenlong/Altron: I think they're downright better in EW.
>>
>>14096307
TV: Wing Zero, Altron
EW: The rest
>>
How can you say you prefer the TV versions because "less is more"? Every TV version looks like a fucking rainbow in comparison to the more subdued pallets of the the EW ones.

I mean, I'm not putting down your preference for the TV ones thats fine, but how can that be a reason? Even before enlarging the picture it looks like the left side's populated by a menagerie of exotic birds.

Like, they're really, really obnoxiously colorful in the TV series. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I wouldn't call it "less is more".
>>
>>14096347

>But in a combat situation they do jack and shit in means of anything.

Let's realistically assess the combat capabilities of a gundam, anon. It's not like it's a toy commercial.

I love the Deathscythe design, especially the bat-like wings,
>>
>>14096307
I like TV better, since Epyon actually exists there.
>>
>>14096362

I think the tail was a beam gun, not s flamethrower. It's the one thing I like most about the original
>>
File: pict1094.jpg (106KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
pict1094.jpg
106KB, 800x600px
>>14096347

That's not true at all. The Wings, divided into four segments, serve as both its propulsion and defense. The two large, exterior shell wings are lined with a large amount of micro verniers and thrusters, and are themselves multi segmented. The flexibility of these two parts, being able to stretch even in front of the body, along with how flexible they are and the thrusters are what give the Wing Zero its maneuverability since it can apply vernier thrust in almost any direction in a huge amount of variety...

...also, they double as shields when folded in front, either one or the other, or both, which honestly is really cool to me but I disgress...
>>
File: pict1087.jpg (94KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
pict1087.jpg
94KB, 800x600px
>>14096396

Then these two parts attached more centrally to the back act as its main propulsion, giving it is velocity and speed.

Overall, I do wish aesthetically the wings were scaled back just a tiny bit...maybe less of the spikey "feathers" and maybe make then a little bit smaller and less exaggerated, but overall the propulsion system (which is also its defense) of the Wing Zero I think is pretty cool in concept. I do understand why because they're generally drawn to look more organic in the animation, but I think the wings honestly get a bit too much of a bad wrap.

Looking past the aesthetics and the feathers, everything about the wings (especially if you ever build Wing Zero as a model) is actually all surprisingly practical in purpose. Wing Zero's supposed to be the fastest suit in both the air and in space, so for it to have a more intricate and busy propulsion system makes sense. Makes a lot sense than the back protrusions of some other Gundams we've gotten before and since.

If they visually were a bit less gaudy, I think they'd be a lot better received by some.
>>
>>14096377

> Even before enlarging the picture it looks like the left side's populated by a menagerie of exotic birds.

The EW designs also have much greater differentiation in their silhouettes than the TV designs.
>>
>>14096402

And like said, dem poses.

I mean, seriously look at Sandrock TV versions pose. It looks like its nervous or holding in the fact it has to take a piss or something.

Its not a design thing it's just the posture of these linearts I've always found so incredibly unappealing looking. If anything they probably do the designs an injustice with how boxy and stiff they look.
>>
>>14096353
>>14096359
>>14096362
>>14096377
OP here, I think I need to clarify what I meant by "less is more": I prefer the smaller, subtle things to the major, in your face ones.

The wings on both the Wing and Deathscythe are examples of this, I feel like they're just an eyesore to my personal taste. In hindsight though, perhaps this does not apply to the Heavyarms and Sandrock, where my main complaint is more the paintjob. I also think the use of yellow for highlights was really well done on all of the TV versions, most of the EW versions are bit lacking there. (especially Deathscythe, who only really has the V-Fin)

I guess it pretty much boils down to me liking my mecha clunky and robotic. Thanks for your explanations though, I think I'm actually starting to "get" the EW versions a bit more now. (Also I actually thought the Sandrock cloak was badass, kinda wish the TV version used it)
>>
>>14096307
>Wing Zero
Honestly love the wings on custom because of the idea of multi vector mini vernier thrusters and flaps dressing up as feathers. It really lends credibility to the idea of it being more manuervreable. What I dislike is that the shoulder point connecting them should be a lot bulkier. It doesn't look like the thing could hold a lot of fuel like the TV versions massive bulky wings.

TV version however has those no-nonsense high calibur shoulder mounted machine guns and that jackhammer shield which I loved.

>Deathscythe Hell
Both have their merits and cons I like the aesthetic of the custom more but functionally it's silly, why were the vulcans and hyper jammers removed? Also fuck this gay Earth whoever approved for it to lose it's ROCKET POWERED SCYTHE to beam scissors on a pole...

TV's claw shield is stupid, it made sense with the base but Hell is basically immune to beam fire so it's now a one shot projectile and it has vulcans anyway. However the beam cloak wings was a pretty great idea.

>Heavyarms
Custom is just straight up better offensively and aesthetically except for lack of combat knife. That combat knife was the cutest thing about Heavyarms and it really could've done with it in the OVA considering it ran out of ammo and had literally nothing.

>Sandrock
Custom is a massive improvement aesthetically but feels like the TV version was more useful. Heat shotels, uzi, shield, vulcans, heat seeking missiles...all dropped. I am a minimalist kind of person but there is minalism and then there is bringing a knife to a gunfight.

>Altron
Again. TV version felt more useful functionally but I like the EW design more. EW version feels so gimped it isn't funny. No pendulum shield attack, no quadruple flamethrowers, no tail mounted twin beam cannon.
>>
>>14096402
OP again, the quote actually made me laugh.

In response to your note on the EW designs differentiating though, aren't they supposed to look similar? I mean, they're meant to all be based on the Wing Zero prototype, but each of the 5 scientists took the base design and made their own version of it, which is why I think it's perfectly okay that they all bare a resemblance to each other. Not saying they need to all be near copies of Wing Zero, but I appreciate they all have that connection if that makes sense?
>>
File: Wingshields-virgos.jpg (454KB, 814x1151px) Image search: [Google]
Wingshields-virgos.jpg
454KB, 814x1151px
>>14096429
i just wish morons would stop dishing the angel wings. it's the most flexible and agile and versatile thruster system in gundam, unlike their favorite gayass strike freedum
>>
>>14096451

It's not the most versatile at the very least, that'd be the Wings of Light or the Moonlight Butterfly. Both can not only be thusters or defense but offensive too. I'd say both are more flexible too, given that they're completely non-phsyical.
>>
>>14096451
Yes, blocking with your main thrusters is NEVER a bad idea, mirite
>>
>>14096445

It makes sense I guess, but I also think it makes sense that even if they're all based on it it doesn't show on the exterior given that the five scientists changed them so much - that it only shows on the inside. The differentiation and silhouettes is important visually too. It's probably the most important visual factor in a way.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 2560x1920px
I actually prefer the original TV suits over any of the upgrades.
>>
Manga version of the EW units are the best
>>
>>14096511

Not who you're replying too, but I've been waiting for someone to bring this up cause I had a feeling it would.

And while it seems like a bad idea at first, the thing is that it actually makes a degree of sense and is part of the reason I said here >>14096396 that it's not only cool, but I think overall it helps to streamline Wing Zero's purpose.

Now hear me out, thing is whatever the version...Wing Gundam (Zero)'s well...wings, are obviously really important. If it it literally gets its wings clipped, there's a good chance it could become crippled and the thing is, is whether or not it has a shield...those back protrusions are still huge targets and, even if I assume they're made really durable to compensate for that, they're still a potential vulnerability.

So, if the thing HAS to have wings in order to be what it is, why beat around the bush? Just make the wings themselves shields (as hard and sturdy and probably coated with all sorts of anti beam counter measures.) and also make them more flexible and just have the Wing Zero just not get hit in general, and if it does it has a way to quickly deflect an attack then get out of there before its drawn out.

I kind of like that because it emphasizes the idea that the Wing Zero isn't a generalist machine despite being a protag Gundam, but rather is specialized like the rest and in this case, it's about speed, precision strikes, and just not getting hit in general, and for a machine like that I think having quick impromptu shields, even if they're also its method of movement, is enough.
>>
File: 130.jpg (514KB, 800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
130.jpg
514KB, 800x1200px
>>14096442
>Sandrock
>heat seeking missiles

When the fuck did Sandrock ever have missiles? It's by far one of my favorite Gundam designs and I just watched Wing a few months ago and I don't remember that at all.

>tfw no Virgo kit ever
>>
>>14096307
TV version for Wing Zero, Endless Waltz version for the rest. Though I do like the gatling gun design on TV Heavyarms Kai better than EW Heavyarms Kai. Having the two rotary barrels closer together makes it look somehow more deadly to me.
>>
>>14096511
Those aren't the main thrusters. The RG profile even says that it can completely lose those wings and not lose anything.
>Thrust vectoring Mechanism
>Front wings for defence and surface air manipulation(for flight/hover. words too /sci/ for me), and rear wings equipped with special vernier thrusters, giving the majority of the thrust. In the case of loss of main wings (front), the agility and flight capability would be left intact.
>>
>>14096567
Sandrock TV always had missiles. They are where the machine cannons would go on Wing Zero.
>>
>>14096567
Shoulder mounted, if you check the TV Kai design you'll notice 2 small bulges around the shoulder area. They're pods for it's heat seeker missiles, it only has the 2 so you don't see them used often. Actually I'm pretty sure the creators themselves simply forgot they existed since the original Sandrock had them too and they're hardly used.

A lot of the Wing MS had a lot of weird features we never actually remember and notice. Like I remember long ago people used to kick a stink about Wing Zero Custom pulling it's TBR out of hammerspace. Reason was simply that it's mounted on it's back covered by the wings out of sight instead of on the shield like TV.

Altron having that yo yo like shield weapon and the beam cannons is also something a lot of people sometimes forget about as well since all it normally did was spam that flamethrower and dragon fang.
>>
>>14096616

It might still have flight and thrust, but if that excerpt is correct loss of the wings would mean it'd lose the majority of its control, defense and thrust. It'd still fly, but not well. Frankly I'm surprised it'd even fly. Seems like bullshit to me.
>>
>>14096653
Dude do you have trouble reading?
The back wings provide the majority of the thrust. It can still fly without the front wings too. The only thing it loses is defense and control. But then again the wings are made of Gundanium. Good luck to 90% of the Gundam multiverse even damaging the thing.
>>
>>14096667

You just said it yourself - the back wings provide the majority of the thrust. Loss of them should have some major disadvantages.
>>
>>14096671
Nobody was talking about the back wings. They were discussing the top wings which are used as shields. Somebody said that blocking with the main thrusters was a bad idea. The larger wings aren't the main thrusters. The lower smaller ones are.
>>
File: wack.gif (18KB, 385x239px) Image search: [Google]
wack.gif
18KB, 385x239px
>>14096619
>>14096645
Shit, dog!

That's really weird design.
>>
>>14096677

Then I do have trouble reading and apologise.
>>
Wing: Proto-Zero > TV > EW
Deathscythe: EW > TV
Heavyarms: TV = EW
Sandrock: EW > TV
Altron: TV = EW
>>
File: dsc07564.jpg (660KB, 3640x2592px) Image search: [Google]
dsc07564.jpg
660KB, 3640x2592px
The EW designs don't have much to them because in-context they are the Gundams after the final battle has ended. They all are supposed to have a lot more gimmicks, but they were basically hastily repaired and sent out for one last battle.
>>
File: TV-VS-EW.jpg (494KB, 1920x2280px) Image search: [Google]
TV-VS-EW.jpg
494KB, 1920x2280px
>>14096307
In general I like Katoki's EW body shapes

>Wing Gundam
TV version, it just seems less busy, Kaoki's wings also seem complicated just for the sake of looking cool.

>Deathsythe
EW, I dunno, it just looks cooler.

>Heavyarms
Almost the same, but EW's is slightly better since it can detach its shield/gun easier. And in GOL it's add ons are badass.

>Sandrock
TV, the shield is cool, and the scimitars are way less ridiculous. The GOL armadillo add on is badass though.

>Shenlong
TV, seriously GOL Shenlong seems like the worst design of all the Gundam Wing Gundams, Katoki didn't put much thought into it. The arm doesn't extend, it has no add ons or ranged weapons. The GOL dragon can't even effectively bite. The only improvement is the shield.

>Wing Zero
TV/Proto-Wing Zero, it's a cool looking suit, I like the wings and bird mode. I know the angel wings are iconic, and in the comic they are fairly logical. But TV's seems much more like a fighting machine.

>Deathscythe Hell
TV, I like the shield and the cloak. EW is way too try hard, its shoes are stupid looking.

>Heavyarms Kai
EW, it's color scheme is changed so we can tell the difference, it looks more like a space mode Gundam. Also dual Gatling guns.

>Sandrock Kai
EW, same reasons, its different, has a more space color scheme, and it has a cool shield.

>Altron
GOL, which is the EW Altron, with the TV's wings. But TV has my favorite color scheme of any Gundam, I wish Katoki didn't change that. Again Kotoki's heart didn't really seem in this one. There was no reason for Altron to lose its wings in EW, since the wings were for space combat.
>>
>>14096307
>Wing Zero - TV
I much prefer the neo-bird mode to the angel wings, which honestly came out of nowhere, going from TV to EW. Plus it's more colourful and just nice to look at personally.
>Deathscythe - TV
Those shoes yo. I hate them so much.
>Heavyarms - TV
Honestly, not much changes between the two other than palette, and I'm not a fan of the blue on greens.
>Sandrock - EW
Just because it's shotel psoitioning reminds me of Lu Bu, and his giant red streamers. I wish it had more weapons and presence in the show/universe. It along with the Altron are probably the most forgettable 'lead gundams'
>Alatron - EW
Much prefer the green over that sickening blue from the TV version. Plus it's extendo arms look kinda like pile bunkers, so I can pretend that's what they do instead of the TV's weird flip down extendomatic flamethrowers. Plus I'm not a fan of the shield placement. Still, more Gundams need spear type weapons.
>>
>>14096714
Heavyarms Kai has a dual gatling too y'know, they're just right next to each other instead of with a full third gatling barrel gap between them.
>>
>>14096720
But they still act as one unit, so he can only fire on one target.
EW Heavyarms kai actually has 4 guns and can fire in two directions.
>>
KATOKI
>>
I originally hated the angel wings in the animation cause they looked so organic, but after having built a model of WZC over the years I've kind of warmed up to them a bit more since the model sheds a lot of light on their actual construction and I agree that while they could have been scaled back a little more in terms of their...grandeur, (but they're supposed to be a bit over the top in EW too.) the concept of such a complex, intricate propulsion and defense system in one for a suit thats just supposed to go fast in the air and in space is kind of intriguing to me.

I do at least have to give props to Katoki for apparently really planning out the distinct purpose of every piece and joint of the wings, so while they're definitely a bit too flashy perhaps, at least a lot of thought went into their construction.
>>
>Heavyarms EW Version
Shit was incredibly fun in SDGO, shit missiles and hold fire to shred shit with gatlings
>>
They both look nice, but if I had to pick one set, I would pick TV, because:
Deathscythe looks like a reaper, not a demon.
Sandrock still looks like an Arabian warrior.
Altron still has seeable dragon influences.
Heavyarms color scheme looks nicer, has a shield, and a melee weapon.
W Zero's wings are too garish, and there's too much blue and too little else.
Although due to my autism I've been taking the 1/144 TV kits and the EW kits and bashing them together to fit my personal tastes for each suit, like adding the knife to the Heavyarms Custom, and the shield to one of the gatlings.
>>
File: gundam_sandrock.jpg (106KB, 473x572px) Image search: [Google]
gundam_sandrock.jpg
106KB, 473x572px
>>14096307
>and lost it's based as fuck cobra shield

not really, Sandrock EW has two different shields.
>>
>>14098848

Its such a sexy Gundam.
>>
>>14096307
Heavyarms Kai is FOR SOME STUPID FUCKING REASON now a bubblegum-ice-cream-post-digestion bluish green. The double miniguns barely make up for this. (Heavyarms is one of my fave Gundams across the franchise)

I hate to break it to you, but that looked like a cheap rip-off Chinese Gundam in the original TV series. In EW it at least looks closer to what it was trying to be, a "fuck you I have a billion weapons" Gundam.
>>
>>14098903
I always felt Heavyarms original color was like a semi-truck owing to its planned G Gundam Neo-America origins. kind of like a Gundam Optimus Prime.

>>14098690
The wings kind of make sense in space with thrusters everwhere to stabilize it. And I think Glory of the Losers angel wings are seen on the Tallgeese for space combat, but they seem out of place on earth to me.
>>
>>14098848
TV Sandrock was the worst in my opinion. But EW Sandock Kai is pretty cool looking, and I love the shield.
>>
I like the Sandrocks second design. I like that it is sleaker and in general more aesthetic.

I'd say the same for Heavyarms, except the color scheme is godawful.

The Altron is easily my 2nd fave of the group
>>
File: Wing-Sandrock gun.jpg (713KB, 869x1265px) Image search: [Google]
Wing-Sandrock gun.jpg
713KB, 869x1265px
The EW designs have grown on me a lot just because of GOL. if there was no GOL the TV/EW would be tied. but with all teh additions in GOL EW:GOL>>>TV
>>
File: 6138bd01.jpg (99KB, 848x1280px) Image search: [Google]
6138bd01.jpg
99KB, 848x1280px
>>14096518
Likewise for the most part. Wing Gundam is so sleek and elegant a thing.

But then again, TV Deathscythe Hell is just a work of art. I know, I know, durr hurr double scythe, but so what? It manages to do the grim reaper theme without going overboard into full on edge or spoopy skulls, focusing instead on the robe and hood, with some very nice trim around the head.
>>
File: 7624796b.jpg (107KB, 1280x848px) Image search: [Google]
7624796b.jpg
107KB, 1280x848px
>>14098957
I mean seriously, why would you give this intricacy up for "BLACK ON BLACK, BIGGER WINGS, MAKE THEM POINTIER!!!" bullshit?
>>
File: sandrock and death.jpg (2MB, 3034x2139px) Image search: [Google]
sandrock and death.jpg
2MB, 3034x2139px
>>14098957
this is the thing with the EW vs TV. both series designs have great points.
>>
Wing Zero: The big tipping point in favor of TV for me is the TBR's smaller size. It looks more flexible than the really long rifles of the EW version. I don't mind the wings, I just think the TV version is a little better.
Deathscythe: EW version is the clear winner for me here. It goes all out with the 90s edge, and the big scythe looks better than the weird double claw scythe.
Heavyarms: Add a pair of knives to the back of the EW version's waist and it would be perfect. As it stands I still like it just a little more.
Sandrock: Aesthetically the EW version is far superior, but in terms of functionality it loses a huge amount from the TV version. Like with Heavyarms, give it its rifle and shield back and it's a much better design.
Altron: The loss of functionality is more than made up for by how much cleaner it looks and the dragon fangs being able to stretch to those ridiculous lengths. Stick the TV backpack on the EW design and you'd have the best of both worlds.
>>
File: cover.jpg (764KB, 1129x1600px) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
764KB, 1129x1600px
>>14098947
Speaking of GOL, volume 8 is up.
http://www.zeonic-republic.net/?p=3751
>>
File: Wing-sandrock moving in.jpg (1MB, 1100x1600px) Image search: [Google]
Wing-sandrock moving in.jpg
1MB, 1100x1600px
>>14099001
>Sandrock: Aesthetically the EW version is far superior, but in terms of functionality it loses a huge amount from the TV version. Like with Heavyarms, give it its rifle and shield back and it's a much better design.
GOL does this.
>>
Wing Zero:

TV < EW, especially after GOL. The wings are a bit much but I've softened on them, the body overall is just better imo.

Deathscythe Hell

TV >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> EW

The TV version is just really cool, although I do like how EW did away with the double Scythe and just made it bigger. Even for Wing, the double Scythe was just silly to me.

Heavyarms Kai

TV < EW, just all around better imo. The muted colors aren't that cool, but I kind of like that because a heavy weapons suit having a muted color scheme makes more sense. Also, I liked the clown mask don't judge. It was in character.

Sandrock Kai

TV <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< EW

The TV version is just alright, but EW version is just so much cooler in every way. And contrary to what I've heard it actually hasn't lost anything, as of GOL. Like someone showed, it still has the shield, SMG etc. It's just such a good design, the TV one's boring in comparison to me.

Altron = Nataku

I'm kinda neutral about it. I like the big, pile bunker look on mechs and Nataku looks cleaner and faster and with a nicer color scheme, but the gimmicks of Altron were really cool.
>>
>>14099013

God Sandrock Kai was like the fucking star of that manga.

And its so funny cause Sandrock in the original TV series was by far my least favorite Gundam.
>>
>>14099020
That's Sandrock though, not Kai.
>>
>>14098957
I always thought the TV version with the spoopier one. The EW has pointy bits but is otherwise an orthodox Gundam design, while the TV version has a full on rib cage.
>>
>>14099073

The difference is mostly the color scheme, come on man.

>>14098957

Oh yeah the rib-cage chest is really cool too. It's like Necromancer bone armor from Diablo 2.
>>
>>14096307
TV in all cases.
>>
>>14096307
I much prefer the EW designs in every case except Wing Zero. I like both versions of that equally for different reasons.

Though the TV versions are still good. Well, save for Altron which was awful and Sandrock which was just boring.
>>
>>14096347
Since when has that ever accounted for anything with Gundams in Wing? The grunt designs care about that, maybe. The Gundams have always been all about the gimmicks.

-Wing/Zero (TV) fast, tranformation gimmick
-Deathscythe: grim reaper shtick. Nevermind that a scythe is an impractical melee weapon in a world with beam swords and such.
-Heavyarms: omg guns guise! So many guns! Then stuff opens up and it has MORE GUNS! Also, HIDDEN MISSILES EVERYWHERE! Itano Circus: the Mobile Suit.
Altron: Flamethrower, like a dragon! extendable arm(s). Also, SO CHINESE.
Sandrock: Uh...is being dull a gimmick? Oh well, just give it yet another unique, stupidly impractical weapon so it at least has something.
>>
File: cha.jpg (17KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
cha.jpg
17KB, 250x250px
>>14099378
>just give it yet another unique, stupidly impractical weapon
>a shotel
>impractical
>>
>>14099390
In a world with giant robots with beam weaponry? Where a beam saber/sword would not only cut better, but can be swung around far faster due to not being a giant clump of metal?

Absolutely impractical. Cool, yes, but impractical. Which was exactly the point I was trying to make: Gundams in Wing value Rule of Cool over all else. That isn't automatically a bad thing, you know.
>>
File: W_gundam_EarlyDesigns.jpg (130KB, 1023x596px) Image search: [Google]
W_gundam_EarlyDesigns.jpg
130KB, 1023x596px
>>14099378
They're G castoffs supposedly, so they're still sporting residual nationalistic gimmicks.
>>
>>14099378
>Scythe is impractical
>Is also a beam sword but has far better reach
>And shown to be able to flip upwards into a spear form
>And being a laser beam nullifies all actual penalties for scythe use in real life
C'mon son.
>>
>>14096307
I actually like the EW designs, especially Wing Zero and Sandrock rather than the gay ass bird and the bland TV Sandrock
>>
>>14096307
TV Zero's color scheme was garbage. Wings aside, the EW version is far superior (and it's not like the TV wings were the least bit aesthetically pleasing in their own right).

I don't see how EW Deathscythe is really any more edgelord than the TV version, and it ditched the absolutely retarded double scythe.

Heavyarms was the one gundam that was outright improved by the EW redesign.

While Sandrock did lose the shield, it also got less awkward proportions.

Altron was mostly an improvement, though its near-complete lack of ranged weapons is rather silly.
>>
>>14099403
> A suit with a more traditional MA mode
> Totally more gay then FABULOUS ANGEL WINGS
Ok then.
>>
>>14099397
>>And being a laser beam nullifies all actual penalties for scythe use in real life
Well, the staff portion is still heavier than the hilt of a beam sword/saber. But I'll grant you that it's capable of far greater versatility, even if Duo almost never takes advantage of that.
>>
>>14099397
This. If you're going to call the scythe impractical you have to call all beam polearms impractical.
>>
>>14099414
Did Duo ever use it as a beam polearm though? In combat, I mean. The only time I can think of is when he used it to disable the self destruct on Wing when he first found it.

So my point still stands in that it was implemented in the show to have him use a scythe because it made him look like the Grim Reaper. Not because it was versatile weapon.
>>
TV designs were meant to appeal to fans of the different Gundam series that came before Wing.

EW versions were designed to appeal to the fans of the Wing bois.
>>
>>14099405
>I don't see how EW Deathscythe is really any more edgelord than the TV version, and it ditched the absolutely retarded double scythe.
Because it went from gothic iconography (even a deacon's collar and fleur de lis) to retardedly giant spikey wings topped by giant bloody-red spikes and spike toes? Because it went from a black and white to pitch black and charcoal?
>>
>>14096307
>not posting Tallgeese
>>
>>14099412
Ironically, the Deathscythe Hell offsets the weight by putting a rocket on the back of the head. So that much-maligned double-scythe is actually more practical now?

>>14099417
Not that often, because most things he ran into he were 1v1. But on occasion he used the reach and breadth of the blade to slash several suits in a row, or even to catch a suit on the end of the scythe and then fling it at another suit. And against ships he could chop off a whole section where a saber would have to be dragged along it. Kind of like an anti-ship sword.

Some examples in the GundamInfo vids.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjQ6gLS-JPU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VLMqAQEpR0
>>
File: Sandrock throw.gif (499KB, 235x155px) Image search: [Google]
Sandrock throw.gif
499KB, 235x155px
>>14099395
they're called heat shotels for a reason and Sandrock is known for its high defense. its shown tanking beam hits. so the way his weapons work is fine.
>>
>>14099494
that still doesn't make it practical
>>
>>14099450
>implying EW Tallgeese and TV Tallgeese are different aside from the paint.
Also the OP is talking about the TV versus the OVA and Tallgeese I and Talllgeese III are different suits.
>>
>>14099423
TV designs were just G Gundam rejects. They still have a national flavor to them, except Wing. Which was generic because for Japan, Japan is the baseline.

Its kind of weird the GW suits look more like melee fighters you'd see in G. But GW grunts are some of the most military looking mobile suits of any Gundam.
>>
>>14096307
I hate the TV versions of those Gundam, period. They've never looked so much like oversized plastic toys. Not even G came anywhere close to that with its silliness.
>>
>>14099568
G had a full clown gundam
>>
>>14099568
>>14099593
G had a Windmill, Zeus riding a chariot, a bell, and a skull gundam.

Also one horse gundam piloted by an actual horse. There isn't enough weed in the world to get to enjoy that.
>>
>>14099523
Sandrock is known for its durability being the suit that can take a real beating. The Shotels work very well because it doesn't run out as fast like the the beam sabers allowing Sandrock to participate in lengthy combat
>>
This is how the Wing Zero Custom should have been colored
>>
File: Sandrock B.jpg (287KB, 952x1261px) Image search: [Google]
Sandrock B.jpg
287KB, 952x1261px
And this is how the Sandrock should have been colored
>>
File: 45G507.jpg (234KB, 469x772px) Image search: [Google]
45G507.jpg
234KB, 469x772px
>>14099568
Not even AGE?
>>
File: Sandrock shotel.png (845KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
Sandrock shotel.png
845KB, 960x720px
>>14099639
yeah no that is one ugly paint job. Sandrock TV color scheme is fine as is.
>>
File: meh3.jpg (335KB, 1622x720px) Image search: [Google]
meh3.jpg
335KB, 1622x720px
>>14099639
I remember that thread from like a year ago. Are you the guy who made that image and did you ever paint it?
>>
>>14099464

The rocket isn't actually going to give any more cutting power to a beam. And it would still be better without the second beam.
>>
I just don't really think the Angel wings fit the tone or style of the show.

Maybe if this was FSS or some super robot anime but it's for all intents a military show.
>>
>>14099875

> Wing
> military show

I don't have a laugh hard enough for this. The wings perfectly fit the melodramatic tone of the show.
>>
>>14098848
Shit looks like a damn chicken gundam
>>
>>14099523
Every other Gundam had some unique gimmick ability, like Deathscythe not showing on sensors or Wing transforming and having the most powerful rifle.

Sandrock being the most rugged and reliable isn't exciting, but it's a gimmick. And it's basically part of a resistance group, maybe the Maganac Corps didn't have access to beam sabers or didn't have the capacity to refuel them often and it was designed for that.

Add on that it's shown that Quatre prefers ambushes, it works.
>>
File: Heero.jpg (37KB, 500x364px) Image search: [Google]
Heero.jpg
37KB, 500x364px
>>14099875
>>14099881
Here you go.
>>
>>14099988
>Sandrock being the most rugged and reliable isn't exciting, but it's a gimmick.
I thought it's gimmick was that Sandrock was a command unit hence why you'd want it to be a tank? It was why the thing was also compattible with the Zero system later in the series which pretty much never gets brought up again in the side materials or tie ins....
>>
>>14096307
>Wing gundam
TV's shield and wings, EW's body and buster rifle

>Deathscythe
TV all the way

>Heavyarms
TV all the way

>Sandrock
EW all the way

>Nataku
EW all the way
>>
>>14099988
>Deathscythe not showing on sensors

None of them show on sensors. That's one of Gundanium's gimmicks. Deathscythe can jam sensors.
>>
EW Heavy Arms is probably one of the most badass designs in the wing series. It also just screams "Murrica"
>>
>>14099988

I always thought Sandrock should have had some kind of defense gimmick, like Turn-A's ability to use the pilot's life force to power a beam shield or something - making it extra, extra tough unless it's hit hard enough and often enough to make Quatre pass out from the fatigue of powering it. Which would be an interesting trade off in my opinion.

>>14100003

Wouldn't they all be able to fit the Zero System? I would imagine mounting it is easy and that most suits could, with the remarkable part being that Quatre could handle the stress, not that Sandrock could have a Zero System.
>>
>>14100179
>I always thought Sandrock should have had some kind of defense gimmick, like Turn-A's ability to use the pilot's life force to power a beam shield or something - making it extra, extra tough unless it's hit hard enough and often enough to make Quatre pass out from the fatigue of powering it. Which would be an interesting trade off in my opinion.
This isn't G-Gundam...

Also I'd just settle for big ass armour and more mobility, which GoL actually fixed with that DOM-esque add on.
>>
>>14101419

Neither is Turn-A. Where the idea originated. Also, more regular armor isn't a gimmick, since it doesn't attract attention or sell toys.
>>
>>14096307
I'll throw my opinion in the pile:

WZ vs. WZC
- I like both designs equally. Though they really are over-the-top, the designers at least put some purpose to WZC's wings. Positional thrusters to provide excellent mobility, with the side wings armored enough to double as shields.

DSH vs. DSHC
- I like DSH's color arrangement, but I like DSHC's design. Oh, and DSHC totally needed a Buster Shield. The use of the weapon in the show is silly (It was probably supposed to just be a hidden stabbing blade in the shield, but it was used as a one-shot projectile that makes you sacrifice your shield) but there was some inexplicable draw to it.

HA vs. HAC
- I like HAC's color arrangement, but I like HAK's design.

SR vs. SRC
- I like both. They both have just enough bulk added to them to show that they can really take a beating and come out on top. Original SR color scheme is outright better though. Oh, and original SR weapons are outright better.

Altron vs. Nataku
- For this one, my thoughts are really divided. I like details from each of them, but overall I dislike both of them. If I was to make something from this theme, I'd go with Nataku's body, Shenlong's Dragon Fangs on both arms, Shenlong's color scheme, and maybe Altron's wings.
>>
>>14098699
You should have seen the thing on release in KR. Open mode would fire individual bullets from every single weapon. (It was later patched to show repeating bullet stream animations) Due to the insane amount of shots that had to be processed, the game could freeze of even crash.

I remember one time in the Desert map where myself and 3 others started with HACEW. We walked up to the top of the hill, all opened at the same time, and unloaded. The game froze. When it unfroze, the enemy team's units had all died and they were respawning.
>>
>>14100003
>>14100179
Sandrock is never stated to be a command unit outside of Quatre being an occasional leader for the Maganac corps. The only reason Heero gave it to Quatre instead of anyone else is because Quatre has the experience using the Zero system. Dorothy was using the Zero system to coordinate MDs tactically and the Gundam pilots are uncoordinated loners who needed to have teamwork forced on them by Quatre also using the Zero system to deal with the mobile dolls more efficiently.
>>
>>14099639
(Damn you people, stop making me miss SDGO.)

That color scheme feels incomplete. The bright whites and reds clash with the muted browns and tans.

If you planned to make Sandrock have the color of sand and rocks, you should go all the way and be consistent with it.
>>
has anyone done sandrock in a color scheme similar to the EZ8?

and maybe somewhat darker colors?
>>
>>14101623
I'm talking BR Heavyarms EW, a BR rank shouldn't be that fun.

>>14101662
Then again there was OP as fuck BR Sandrock EW, dash, ranges and beam MG on a fucking B rank
>>
>>14101586
All of Wufei's suits are Nataku.
Shenlong, EW Shenlong, Altron, EW Altron, White Epyon.
>>
>>14099607
Get out please.
Thread posts: 118
Thread images: 28

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.