[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone else enjoying Hyper Light Drifter?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 6

File: drifter.png (3MB, 1998x2091px) Image search: [Google]
drifter.png
3MB, 1998x2091px
Anyone else enjoying Hyper Light Drifter?
>>
It's out?
>>
>>14073160

Yep. And I'm liking it so far. The controls take some getting used to and a boss is having his way with me but the entire game is gorgeous. It's all one big mech graveyard.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWufEJ1Ava0
>>
>short as shit
>zero replayabilty
>That soundtrack we promised? lel
>30 FPS IN AN ACTION GAME EVEN THOUGH THEY HAD 3 FUCKING YEARS
>2d pixelart somehow manages to get slowdowns
>none of the promised bosses
>somehow feels rushed and shat out as fast as possible despite being in development for ages

worth a pirate/10
>>
>>14073208
le indie retro games are cancer
>>
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1661802484/hyper-light-drifter/posts/1534048
>came out
>on April the 1st
That has to be awkward as fuck.
>>
>>14073158
why the fuck the pixels of these indie games looks too damn simple

what happened to those style like in Metal Slug or Metroid?
>>
>>14073220
Because those games pushed limitations. Indie games purposely look like crap.
>>
>>14073208
Could you at least try to pretend you're not a /v/erming?
>>
File: DV.gif (27KB, 307x213px) Image search: [Google]
DV.gif
27KB, 307x213px
>>14073220
Well, first, Metal Slug is japanese, and second, besides >>14073222 (though Neo Geo AFAIK was pretty powerful), SV001 was, up until 3, a game with actual love, effort and humor put into it.
>>
>>14073220
>>14073222
Some of those don't, so most don't even try the right way. Compare the likes of Heart Forth Alicia, Cryamore and Starr Mazer to this. Heck, even Ghost Police looks more genuine.
>>
File: Di_Cokka.gif (14KB, 307x213px) Image search: [Google]
Di_Cokka.gif
14KB, 307x213px
>>14073226
To be fair though haven't quite a few people been a bit disappointed by Kickstarter Indie type games?
>>
>>14073226
>stays the facts
>"f-fuck off /v/ermin"
>>
>>14073237
Shovel Knight was the only game that did it right.
>>
>>14073246
So far at least. It really is a case of "harder than it looks", doesn't it? When you do indie games via Kickstarter, you get a lot less room for error, since you don't make them on your own time in secret (unlike regular indie games like Noitu Love and Cave Story) and everyone has their eyes on you, so that's a lot of pressure and expectations to meet. It doesn't help that the Kickstarter market is stuffed, so not all game projects get equal attention to begin with (e.g. Douglas Circumstance, although it's getting dev work despite the funding not even being reached anyways).
>>
>>14073246
What about FTL? I've never really heard anyone complain about it.
>>
>>14073308
The thing is that Kickstarter is mostly used for scam projects like MN9, where you get one good set of names or set of ideas and constant delays. The SK team already had plenty of expirience on their field, and the artist actually knew how to simulate NES graphics since he worked on games for it, unlike most projects that use "retro pixel graphics" just because of a fad and not because of resources.

>>14073316
I don't know if that qualifies as an "indie retro game". It's indie alright, but that's all of the games Kickstarter push.
>>
>>14073400
>The thing is that Kickstarter is mostly used for scam projects like MN9, where you get one good set of names or set of ideas and constant delays. The SK team already had plenty of expirience on their field, and the artist actually knew how to simulate NES graphics since he worked on games for it, unlike most projects that use "retro pixel graphics" just because of a fad and not because of resources.
That is a shame, really. Most people don't have the hindsight of making their game before a Kickstarter (like the Ghost Police Guy, though since the Kickstarter was just for Jake Kaufman and extras like other ports, it not succeeding wasn't a too big loss), or some lucky accidents like Atlus backing Cryamore.

On the other hand this makes it easier to spot games made out of genuine heart, like Dropsy. So backing games is at the buyer's discretion.
>>
>>14073208
>>14073214
>>14073226
He's got a point
>>
File: 4giLfLAGGB29.878x0.Z-Z96KYq.jpg (83KB, 878x494px) Image search: [Google]
4giLfLAGGB29.878x0.Z-Z96KYq.jpg
83KB, 878x494px
>>14073220

How big was the Metal Slug team? Because Hyper Light Drifter was like five people with one person doing all of the art.

>>14073208

>short as shit

I beat it in 8 hours without finding even close to all the extra stuff. That's not "short as shit". Gunpoint was short as shit.

>zero replayability

There's literally a New Game+.
>>
>>14073449
>So backing games is at the buyer's discretion
Of course, but when you have 10 scams and 1 honest project you tend tend to drive away potential backers.
>>
>>14073610
okay okay i'll just download it later
>>
>>14073631

That's... not the fault of the funding platform?
>>
>>14073712
No, but it's the fault of the scammers, and it affects both the platform and the backers.
>>
>>14073610
>There's literally a New Game+.

But is there anything to do in that New Game+? If it's just go through the story you've already seen again then why bother?
>>
>>14073610
How big was the Metal Slug team?

About three times as large.
>>
>>14073631
Business as usual for game-making, really. There's always going to be people who want quick cash-ins at the expense of effort.
>>
>>14073731
Thing is, if you get scammed for buying a shit game, the market doesn't lose trust, in this case scams seem like a common case so of course people will stay away from it.
>>
>>14073728

Well I only just beat the main game, so I can't tell you what all's different. But you start with all upgrades and only 2 health.

Also the story's pretty fucking ambiguous so a second look wouldn't kill you.
>>
>>14073158
>single pixel legs
STOP DOING THIS

>>14073610
Even Undertale, FEZ, and OFF looked better and those were done by one guy.

>>14073214
Not what he said, shitposter.

>>14073220
Check out the La Mulana remake. Also one of the greatest indies of all time.
>>
>>14073747
If only folks would prevent more of those by simply not backing said scams.

>>14073789
>FEZ
Too bad about the dev being a jerk though.
>>
File: mystikbelle31.png (104KB, 1696x960px) Image search: [Google]
mystikbelle31.png
104KB, 1696x960px
>>14073789
>Even Undertale, FEZ, and OFF looked better and those were done by one guy.

Hell, if you want to get even more extreme, Dust - An Elysian Tail, Noitu Love 2 Evolution, Intrusion 2, Mystik Belle, Middens and Gingiva were all done by one person.
>>
>>14073819
>If only folks would prevent more of those by simply not backing said scams.
See, they're doing this, but simply by not backing any project at all.
>>
>>14074116
Well, that's stupid. Rejecting everything without discrimination won't help things either.

>>14073855
Adding to that, Ghost Police is being done by one person with a back-up plan arranged, in the event he dies.
>Noitu Love 2 Evolution
Incidentally, that one's getting a 3DS port later this year.
>>
>>14073158
I enjoyed the hell out of it. Can't really give much of a shit about >>14073208 since I didn't really follow it aside from a TBF video about the demo, so I was pleasantly surprised. Ran well enough on my potato laptop and only slowed down when I played for a long period of time and my laptop was hot enough to cook something on it.
>>
>>14074172
>Rejecting everything without discrimination won't help things either
You see, that's the problem. If more projects lke MN9 keep happening gamers will just stop supporting Kickstarter in its entirety.
>>
>>14074387
So what can one even do? Track down all the projects that have the makers say they're doing it as an homage to a bygone era/dead genre or what have you? That's like searching a needle in a haystack, although not impossible.

I hope the other bigwig projects don't flop hard (although Shenmue 3 may get heat since it'll most likely rely on antiquated practices). There needs to be at least one project that can inspire good faith right now.

>>14074181
How many /m/ elements does the game have?
>>
File: drifter1.png (1MB, 1894x1318px) Image search: [Google]
drifter1.png
1MB, 1894x1318px
>>14073789

>Undertale looked better

What the fuck are you smoking
>>
>>14074437

Lots of copycat games have turned out fine, by sales numbers if nothing else. Cities Skylines, Secrets of Grindea, Axiom Verge, Freedom Planet, Shovel Knight... Banner Saga is basically Nordic Fire Emblem...
>>
>>14074446
That actually looks pretty cool,I love those eva looking things. But does the game ever explain what they are? I remember playing the demo and there was 0 story
>>
>>14073789

> OFF

What now? No idea what that stands for.
>>
>>14074611
OFF by Mortis Ghost, it's just the name.

>>14073789
>Undertale and OFF looked better
there are many other one-artist games that you could have mentioned without making your bait so obvious
>>
>>14074606

Nnnnnope. Never really explains what the hell is going on. There's enough there to figure things out but the Eva-looking things are just sort of there.
>>
I'm currently going through NG+ and it's difficult as fuck. Boss attacks are one-hit kills.
>>
>>14074650
interesting,I guess playing the game will be a bit like watching g-reco and piecing together stuff
>>
>>14074655
The game does a fantastic job of telling a story without words.

>>14074437
>How many /m/ elements does the game have?
Haven't been to /m/ that long, but it does have Eva-like things like >>14074446 and robots.
>>
>>14074446
Background looks good but the character sprites are terrible
I've seen /m/ make better sprites for RPG maker shit
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.