[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /m/ think of Hirai and his shows?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 13

File: hirai.jpg (307KB, 920x920px) Image search: [Google]
hirai.jpg
307KB, 920x920px
What does /m/ think of Hirai and his shows?
>>
>>14071231
I hate when they have the really massive white holes in their eyes. Apart from that it is tolerable.
>>
>>14071231
Didn't know SEED had that many sequels and spin-offs
>>
>>14071231

Don't care about his faces, some decent shows like Heroic Age and Majestic Prince use though.
>>
better than IBO
>>
>>14071231
>"WE ARR ROOK ARIKE!"
>>
>>14071231
He still does pretty good supporting character designs. Bascially he's fine when drawing older people, fatties and ugly weirdos. When you ask him to draw young attractive teens to young adults you get nothing but sameface.
>>
He has more range as an artist than he gets credit for, a lot of the show he worked on have decent variety. I think he just gets told to draw the same couple of faces over and over again because the Japanese audience likes them.
>>
>>14071231

What's center-right?
>>
I've found that tolerance for his sameface is directly related to the overall qualty of the show itself.
>>
>>14071231
I'm a massive Fafnerfag and I like the character designs for that.
>>
Wild Knights Gulkeeva, aka Hirai draws furry.

>>14071247
The problem is there was this period in the early millenium where almost every show he worked on happened to be pure steaming shit which didn't help his earned reputation from SEED.

S-Destiny, Gin'Iro no Olynssis, Linebarrels of Iron, that is some heavy shit to wash out of the system.

Think during the same the only decent shows he worked on then were Fafner in the Azure TV and Heroic Age but they were before and after that small period.
>>
File: gulkeeva_0000-sm.jpg (120KB, 508x700px) Image search: [Google]
gulkeeva_0000-sm.jpg
120KB, 508x700px
>>14071383
Gulkeeva
Pretty decent for what it was but sadly ends on a cliffhanger.
>>
File: Gulk_VdUwAA70MQ.jpg (151KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Gulk_VdUwAA70MQ.jpg
151KB, 1024x768px
>>14073086
Novel translation when?
>>
>>14073124
I'm suprised the furries that translated the show haven't bothered with that one so far.
Is it rare or anything?
>>
>>14073134
Maybe one could prod Silver Castle Subs about it. Then again, fan translators are often allergic to doing novels.

>>14073086
>subs for it are still Youtube-only
>in 2016
Do they provide sub files at least?
>>
File: 1387096629519.jpg (206KB, 945x700px) Image search: [Google]
1387096629519.jpg
206KB, 945x700px
>>14073134
>Is it rare or anything?
Pretty much. I'm kinda interested how the story eventually end.
>>
He does the best rapefaces, it's no shock they got him for MJP. Though that show was incredibly expressive in general, even though they all used the same hirai base they had a lot of faces.
>>
>>14071231
His art looks like something out of a "how to draw manga" book
>>
Did he actually design Dancouga or not?

>>14071245
Those are reflected light you dumbass.
>>
>>14073157
MJP is getting an OVA and movie soon, so there may be more chances for doing even more of those. Hirai seems to work best when the cast isn't having a constant funeral mood.
>>
ARR ROOK SAME
>>
>>14071231
Everything else on there is take-it-or-leave-it but I fucking love Scryed
>>
File: kazuki and soushi.png (255KB, 599x368px) Image search: [Google]
kazuki and soushi.png
255KB, 599x368px
follow me
follow you
>>
>>14073167
>Those are reflected light you dumbass
No u for thinking I meant actual holes. The point is that they look stupid when drawn so large, and no longer look like light reflections.
>>
>>14071231
Not to deny the sameface, but unless you are watching multiple Hirai shows simultaneously it shouldn't be a real problem.

It's not like his presence dictates the quality of a show, but generally I've liked more of his shows than I've disliked.
>>
>>14071231
I don't know what the middle and middle right ones are, I do know that I liked all the ones that were not Infintie Ryvius
>>
>>14074416
The middle one is Olynssis, but the less you know of that, the better.
>>
I really like hatching. Also is Yuty his toppest cutie? After Soushi, of course.

>>14073794
>Hirai seems to work best when the cast isn't having a constant funeral mood.
But his Fafner work looks great as well.

>>14073859
Hmmm...
>>
>>14074452
>But his Fafner work looks great as well.
Well, it does help that the staff for that has passion for doing the show overall.
>>
I got no beef with Hirai himself. as for his shows? well it's not his fault a lot of them turned to shit. Scryed, Majestic Prince, Heroic Age, Fafner and Ryvius where all pretty decent to good shows though.

Kei best girl
>>
>>14074452
>But his Fafner work looks great as well.

Well, despite the shit they go through it's not like the islanders are a depressive or angry bunch.
>>
>>14074466
>Rina
>Not all angry. All the time.
>>
>>14071231
Wait, these all aren't from one long running meta series?
/sarcasm
>>
>>14074485
>/sarcasm
2006 pls go. We're in [CURRENT YEAR]
[CURRENT TIME]
>>
File: 34792612_p0.jpg (1MB, 827x1169px) Image search: [Google]
34792612_p0.jpg
1MB, 827x1169px
S-cry-ed is easily his best show, It's probably the most hot blooded show that isn't mecha that I can think of.
>>
>>14073167
IIRC, not the actual main robot in Dancouga, but he did some of the other robot designs.
>>
Gulkeeva is pretty shitty.

I only like it when it goes full Yuusha.
>>
File: rinrin.png (840KB, 975x1413px) Image search: [Google]
rinrin.png
840KB, 975x1413px
>>14071231
I'll be honest i did buy into that knee jerk hate towards his style but that was before I'd actually properly watched anything he'd worked on. i don't mind it too much anymore though now. Its actually pretty good when actual effort has gone into the animation, i suppose you could say that about any style but theres something about the way the shadows work with the really minimal lines of the facial details that just works for me.
Still not a fan of of his style of fashion and those big pointy shoulders he draws with certain clothing or suits
also rin-rin is an unquestionable 10/10 still not watched all of MJP, got to ep 6 and not really feeling it. does it get better?
>>
File: Rin.png (564KB, 718x404px) Image search: [Google]
Rin.png
564KB, 718x404px
>>14074751
>spoiler
Yes, the first half is a little randumb, but from like 10 on, it's great. It took me a couple months to get there then a couple days for the second half.
>>
>>14074751
>got to ep 6 and not really feeling it. does it get better?

yes. Yes it does.
>>
>>14074900

STAB

THAT

MOTHERFUCKER
>>
>>14073084
>they were before and after that small period.
Fafner was between SEED and Destiny, and Heroic Age was between Destiny and Linebarrel.
>>
>>14074907

FIRE

THE

FUCKING

SPACE SNIPER CANNON
>>
>>14074712
It does feature some of Hirai's best design work, at least.
>>
Olynssis is FUCKING TERRIBLE

I mean I like bad robot shows but i couldn't finish an episode
>>
>>14074933
Stupidly generic?
>>
>>14074477
She just wants the Sui big D.
>>
>>14073143
>subs for it are still Youtube-only
No they aren't. Can you seriously not find the only Gulkeeva subs in existence?
>>
>>14074945
>>14074933
It's just bad.

Generic would imply it's cookie cutter it really isn't that generic other than the boy meets mysterious girl start. Main setting is actually kind of a unique concept, post apocalyptic mainly.

Problem is it just doesn't have a clue what itself wants to do, it's got all the plot disjointment of a LN, flat annoying and straight up retarded characters, QUALITY animation, BAD acting, weird story which doesn't make much sense in or out of context and has Hirai designs at his absolute worst. Like every character in the show looks straight out of S-Destiny but with even less detail.

Actually on the subject of the animation I just need to talk about it more since it's just too funny. I even remember a scene with a bunch of people evacuating one of the bike like mechs in the show actually drives straight THROUGH a guy running past it. The protagonist robot Silver? It isn't even animated in most scenes it's like a cardboard cutout sliding around. Amusingly it's also the biggest glass cannon you will ever see. It can't even take an attack from a Grenade Launcher without being wrecked. Yet it goes around farting space time disrupting beam rainbows like nothing.

Well...least it had a nice OP song?
https://youtu.be/uBTlxrHF7_8

But yes, this is just a plain bad show.
>>
>>14075239
>It isn't even animated in most scenes it's like a cardboard cutout sliding around
Thank goodness! Now I have a replacement for IBO until S2 comes around.
>>
>>14075239
And the best thing: "sameface-syndrome" is an important plot point of the show.
>>
>>14073157
MJP was expressive because they pretty much ignored the Hiraiface and went off-model most of the time.
>>
I never got why people give Hirai so much shit for same face when pretty much ALL anime does the same shit
>>
I honestly can't stand his style.
>>
>>14077006
Meh the only anime that I couldn't watch because of the art style was Clannad (I turned it off after one minute). Fafner isn't so bad.
>>
>>14077003
>I never got why people give Hirai so much shit for same face when pretty much ALL anime does the same shit
SEED and GSD. It's really egregious, but while that's probably the least of those shows' problems, it's an easy one to throw at other series, and gets exacerbated because of how "distinct" it is and how inexorably tied to that legacy it is.

It's far and away better than anything that has sidemouth--although I think Linebarrels had some--, and at least Hirai has noses.
>>
>>14076805

It also sorta is in Fafner since the characters were all created through cloning.
>>
>>14076805
>>14077063
MJP has this too, since the kid pilots are clones (with Izuru's donor being a big plot point). It's like that most productions with Hirai are aware of his reputation and take advantage of his style to good effect.

>>14075056
Nyaa doesn't have them (Bakabt only has the HKs), so please enlighten me.
>>
File: socute.gif (487KB, 340x450px) Image search: [Google]
socute.gif
487KB, 340x450px
>>14077027
I kind of agree, Key's art in general is creepy in general and not really cute.

>>14077063
>>14077243
You're just stretching it now, sure cloning was a part of the plots but thinking they went same face on purpose is silly.
>>
>>14077060
>It's far and away better than anything that has sidemouth--although I think Linebarrels had some--, and at least Hirai has noses.
There is actually a pretty amusing dig at Hiraiface in SRW UX.

At one point one of the Linebarrels cast, one of the twins, Shizuna I believe when the others are talking about them being identical twins.

She retorts back saying she can't tell the difference between the Fafner, S-Destiny cast complaining they all look the same. More amusingly is UX specifically got rid of the Hiraiface Linebarrel's portraits having the original manga author do all the art for them.
>>
I actually like most Hirai shows that I've watched with the exception of Seed and Linebarrels, haven't watched Gulkeeva and Olynssis.
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.