[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I need some modern /m/ books. The only ones I can think of are

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: 81LFWqiZaVL.jpg (473KB, 1236x2208px) Image search: [Google]
81LFWqiZaVL.jpg
473KB, 1236x2208px
I need some modern /m/ books. The only ones I can think of are hard sci-fi books like pic related and Lensman. The tone can be whatever, but has there been anything good written in the last decade or so that has giant fightan roborts?
>>
Bumping out of interest. Also anyone knowledgeable about sci-fi able to pin point what was the first modern SF that centered around space warfare? Not necessarily humans versus aliums.
>>
>>14067963

It's not a recent book, and no mecha strictly, but Legend of the Galactic heroes just recently got a translation of the first volume, it's pretty good stuff.
>>
>>14071504
Try:
Battletech novels
Anything by Asimov
Anything by Clarke (Rama and 2001 being best. Rama has some semi /m/ elements. You could easily see it as an 80s anime setting)
Hyperion (generally good, has mechs but they arent prominent)

The most important is definitely War of the Worlds by HG Wells. It's one of the first military space/scifi novels AND it basically created the concept of mecha
>>
>>14067963
Only recent /m/ilitary Scifi that's any good that I can think off from the top of my head is Old Man's War. It's on par with classics like Starship Trooper and Forever War.

Also as mentioned above, LoGH Vol 1 just got translated. Just a heads up though, Tanaka's nearly 35-year-old plot has aged rather poorly; with its overwhelmingly male-dominated story and shallow female characters, it's hard to find a place for this series among today's more nuanced SF.

>>14071731
I'll second everything here, except:
>Anything by Clarke (Rama and 2001 being best. Rama has some semi /m/ elements. You could easily see it as an 80s anime setting)
I think it needs to be stressed that Rama being good does not include any of the godawful sequels. Avoid them at all costs. If you ever encounter one, the US Department of SciFi recommends immediate disposal of the book via copious amounts of fire.
>>
>>14071731
>You could easily see it as an 80s anime setting

That's not a compliment.
>>
>>14071893
>with its overwhelmingly male-dominated story and shallow female characters

I've been seeing this a lot and I don't really see how it's such a big deal. Not every story needs a strong female lead and shoehorning one in due to some arbitrary quota can be disastrous.
>>
>>14076580
To be fair, she was fanservice in a fanservice movie.
>>
>>14076580
>I've been seeing this a lot and I don't really see how it's such a big deal.
That's because it isn't.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.