[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

OLO

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 6

File: olo.gif (2MB, 680x383px) Image search: [Google]
olo.gif
2MB, 680x383px
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/olo3d/olo-the-first-ever-smartphone-3d-printer

What're the thoughts of /m/'s model builders? Can you see yourself building custom parts with one of these?
>>
>>14067927
Not a model builder, but holy shit, that would be fucking fantastic.
>>
File: 1456635287320.png (53KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1456635287320.png
53KB, 1000x1000px
>Just poor this molten plastic shit all over your phone screen, it'll be fine!
>>
>>14068425
Actually I just realized it's room temperature resin.
>>
>>14068438
Also there's a perspex sheet over your screen. The only reason the phone needs to be underneath is to cast the light used to cure the resin. Or channel witchcraft, I can't fucking figure out how this works.
>>
>>14067927
What about for computer-using luddites like me?

And just how good and accurate of measurements is this thing capable of? Let's say I want to make something to go with preexisting joint parts, or even polycaps. Will this deliver both non-low-res AND accurate part printings?
>>
File: bullshit.jpg (31KB, 564x345px) Image search: [Google]
bullshit.jpg
31KB, 564x345px
This device reeks of bullshit to me. I'm sure it does something, but there's no way a little box you put over your phone can print the same kind of things a $1000 MakerBot could.
>>
>>14068458
The FAQ says higher resolution screens will be able to print in sharper detail, and the trailer says there's different resins for rigid and flexible objects, so maybe. We won't really know for sure until it's released though.
>>
>>14068470
>This device reeks of bullshit to me.
You're the one bullshitting here.

There's a reason it's only $100.
>>
>>14068484
>You're the one bullshitting here.
What? Being skeptical about a Kickstarter is "bullshitting"?
>>
>>14068470
To be fair, 3D printing technology is pretty new and making advancements all the time. Like I said, we'll know when it's actually out.
>>
>>14068470
I think there was a device that used a similar concept last year, only with UV lasers. Curing the material selectively using light as it is pulled upwards is interesting --- it can probably avoid the usual discrete layer artifacts of FDM printing.

I think this _could_ work, but it's going to be very sensitive to screen quality, will tie up your phone and is limited to objects no larger than the screen. And I'd almost bet their phone screen sensitive resins are not going to be the cheapest nor the most durable materials out there.
>>
>>14068529
They're supposed to release a tablet sized version next year.
>>
>>14068470
It's small, only useful for printing things less than 40cm long or so. I think it's uses beyond as a curiosity are very niche, but I could absolutely see custom model components being done. The machine itself isn't hugely complicated in terms of moving parts and R&D, mostly because it takes full advantage of the smartphone doing all the hard work when it comes to sculpting.
>>
Definitely, it hurts to cut out, trace back the shape on the styrene sheet, then cut it back out, rinse, repeat.
>>
>>14069040
The best thing is, if the component's small enough, you can tell the app to print multiple at the same time.
>>
File: 1458078680832.jpg (138KB, 947x948px) Image search: [Google]
1458078680832.jpg
138KB, 947x948px
>>14067927
>>
>People in this thread believing anything on April 1.
>>
>>14070473
This was announced far beforehand.
>>
>>14070485
>This was backdated today.
>>
>>14070492
The OLO kickstarter page was started some weeks ago.
>>
File: visor process.jpg (117KB, 640x601px) Image search: [Google]
visor process.jpg
117KB, 640x601px
>>14067927

No, I don't want a 3D printer to do the work for me. The fun of model building is making the model by hand, not just having it. It's kind of like how when DAW's and virtual instruments came out lots of musicians said "cool" but many still want to play real instruments anyway. I can make custom parts on my own and figuring out how to do things is very rewarding. I'm sure lots of people want it, but not me personally.
>>
File: beam nagi progress.jpg (209KB, 878x982px) Image search: [Google]
beam nagi progress.jpg
209KB, 878x982px
>>14072348
>>
>>14072348
So you're saying you're a giant hypocritical faggot every time you buy a model kit instead of building every tiny bit of it completely from scratch.

Fuck off, /mu/.
>>
>>14072374

lol wow you're pretty mad huh
>>
>>14072374
That's not what he said at all.
>hurr durr if you buy a fixer-upper instead of building the home you're a hypocritical faggot
>if you buy a car that needs work instead of manufacturing it yourself you're a hypocritical faggot
It's about taking the basic, probably old model and transforming it to fit your vision by hand instead of getting a new part and popping it on as a replacement. I'm a snapshitter only-panel-lining-half-my-kits faggot who would love this and I can still see where he's coming from.

Virtual instruments don't compare to playing the real thing by the way.
>>
>>14072398
>>hurr durr if you buy a fixer-upper instead of building the home you're a hypocritical faggot
>>if you buy a car that needs work instead of manufacturing it yourself you're a hypocritical faggot
Except neither of those strawmen said any retarded bullshit about needing to do things from scratch.
>>
>>14072677
>the fun of model building is doing it by hand
This doesn't mean he wants to build it from the ground up diptshit. Either of those two groups (who do it out of love, not necessity, which should have been obvious if you aren't retarded) would tell you what I just did.

What the hell are you even arguing?
>>
SOON WE SHALL TORRENT GUNPLA!
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.