[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Never watched the original gundam before. Should I watch the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 6

File: 1456845257142.png (719KB, 728x720px) Image search: [Google]
1456845257142.png
719KB, 728x720px
Never watched the original gundam before. Should I watch the series or is the movie trilogy good enough? What does /m/ reccomend?
>>
>>14022608
Watch from the start.
>>
File: 1366058339141.png (300KB, 469x540px) Image search: [Google]
1366058339141.png
300KB, 469x540px
If you're going to half ass it, might as well just read the synopsis of every episode on the wiki and pretend you watched it.
>>
>>14022608
Series, as you get more development and other material in general. The movies cut this down and add some new animation, but not a lot.

Movies make a good summation after you've watched the series.
>>
>>14022621
ok thanks

>>14022620
i was more just wondering if the series just had filler cut out or something, or if it was like an entirely new animation or something.
>>
>>14022620
Dont be a faggot
>>
>>14022621
This and only this.
>>
File: gundamguide.jpg (2MB, 2800x3402px)
gundamguide.jpg
2MB, 2800x3402px
>>14022608
Latest chart, now git.
>>
>>14022628
The movie is just the series with character development cut, and only plot and battles left. You should watch both desu, since the movies tweak some scenes and add some memorable songs like Soldiers of Sorrow, Beginnings and Encounter which are some of the most memorable songs in the franchise. Heck, every time you see Jaburo in a OYW related game, Soldiers of Sorrow starts playing.
>>
>>14022608
Series is actually incredibly well paced. Don't be a faggot, it wouldn't have spawned a media empire if it didn't have a lot going for it.
>>
>>14022608
>series
>has Gyan

>movies
>don't

This isn't difficult.
>>
>>14022608
Compilation movies are always worse than the original TV series.
>>
They're both fine.

The series has more content but the movies have a few parts better animated (although some parts feel rushed and the montage isn't always consistent).
>>
>>14022726
And also: the dialogues and events are altered in the movies to try to fix a few plot holes, but at the same time they make the story more manichean.
>>
>>14022703

Right, watch the movies.
>>
>>14022608

If you are a casual and just want to get the gist of what happened during 0079, watch the movies. And then if you like it you can go back and watch the entire original series.

However if you got time to kill and like early anime (or at least don't mind 0079 being a product of its time), just watch the series and skip the compilation movies.

0079 is not that bad, actually. Because it's an early anime series, a lot of the tropes that we see in modern anime are no where to be found -- which could be good or bad depending on your views -- but at the very least, newtype-ism is not as reality-breaking as it would be later in the franchise.
>>
>>14022628
When you talk about filler (which doesn't exist in Gundam in the first place since it wasn't an adaptation of an ongoing manga) like that, you sound like you're approaching it with the wrong mindset.

You're supposed to watch an anime because you enjoy watching it. The actual act of watching it. That's the whole point of entertainment, to entertain you.

You're not supposed to watch Gundam so you can tell people you watched Gundam, or so you can add it to your MAL account, or so you can watch newer entries to the franchise which you believe you'd enjoy more. You're supposed to watch Gundam because you enjoy watching Gundam. Otherwise, what's the point? Might as well just read the wiki as it's the most efficient way of getting it out of the way.
>>
>>14022608
>Should I watch the series
Yes.
>is the movie trilogy good enough?
No. They're not all bad but it is no replacement for the show.
>>
>>14022660
Imma just going lo leave this right here.

>堀口:“フィルム化されたもの”がオフィシャル。
>Horiguchi: "film version" is official.
>>
File: ngbf.png (363KB, 726x590px) Image search: [Google]
ngbf.png
363KB, 726x590px
I have a vaguely related question. When two pieces of UC content directly contradict eachother, should whichever came out later be considered "canon"?

I ask because I started reading Char's Deleted Affair and was thoroughly confused when I saw this fucker helping to evacuate A Baoa Qu, but apparently his survival was a movie thing? Did his fight just not happen?
>>
>>14025940
>machine translations are more accurate than multiple human sources refuting the legitimacy of this quote!!!!
okay
>>
>>14022761
>filler
>which doesn't exist in Gundam in the first place since it wasn't an adaptation of an ongoing manga
There are usually one or two dead episodes in a given Gundam series.

Fuck, X's Roybea and Witz go have some sads, was filler. Granted, it was a spectacular episode, but filler none the less.
>>
>>14025988
>Did his fight just not happen?
Yep, that's it. The Gyan got cut.
>>
>>14025988
Animation > anything else. Sunrise/Bandai is unlikely to ever animate something that would directly contradict another series, barring ANT because it was a special surprise from Tomino (kind of like a "what if I wasn't depressed and wanted to kill everyone off during Zeta" timeline). For example, although in the manga Thunderbolt is an entirely AU OYW, we haven't been shown any animated evidence of retconning. We have to assume that Sunrise/Bandai is pretending that Thunderbolt GMs/Zakus are only used by this fringe area. Or a bunch of stuff from The Origin that won't be animated because they just want to adapt Char's early life. Again, they never animate something that specifically shows one thing overriding the other.

But as for that manga, it goes off of the movies iirc.
>>
>>14025995
>Shtting on the superiority on machines.
>On a Mecha board.
Okay.
>>
>>14026106
>not realizing we're in one of the worst timelines for mecha development
>not realizing AI/algorithms are not true mecha
It's a sad world we live in.
>>
Watch the series.

Movies are for people who've seen the series.

However, do not watch the dubbed movies. They are cancer.
>>
File: 2000.jpg (337KB, 2000x1422px)
2000.jpg
337KB, 2000x1422px
>>14026129
>Not preferring a poll of efficiency over a bush of dead ends.
>No True Scotsmen Fallacy
This is truly a sad world we live in.
>>
>>14026166
You lost me on the bush thing.
>incorrectly claiming the No True Scotsman fallacy
It's not mecha because it's not a robot or a machine in the first place, doofus.

What a sad world we live in, where even trolls can't argue correctly.
>>
>>14026002
Filler doesn't mean self-contained or "irrelevant" episodes. Filler is when an anime adaptation of an ongoing manga catches up with it so they need to come up with anime original content to keep the anime going while the manga releases more content for them to adapt.
>>
>>14025988
While a lot of people want to suppress this logical point of view, it really boils down to is that Bandai prioritizes the movies and there are multiple timelines (think Marvel Multiverse) We've seen this before with the Mobile Suit Gundam Movies and Gundam SEED where they make alternations to the plot that are carried over to other series that writers use as a point of reference. (See M'Quve in Char's Deleted Affair and Mwu's 'death' in Gundam SEED) The other big thing is that there are multiple timelines. (Movie, TV, Thunderbolt, Origin.) instead of trying to stick them all together to create a single coherent one, which is impossible to do.

Now, you have people like >>14026022 who want to push the idea that they're all part of one timeline, but if that's the case, you'd run into massive contradictions. Good example of recent stuff is how the Battle of Loum is portrayed in MS IGLOO and Origin, both in how they were depicted and the mobile suit combat. Even from how the battle progressed, you can see a clear contradiction since in MS IGLOO, the ships were firing broadside while in Origins they were firing forward. Also for Origins, if it were part of the main timeline, the Zaku IIs in Origin would have to be downgraded to be feasible for the original series due to the fact that they had Vulcan Cannons which is not the case for any other Zaku sans the Garma custom (And those are located in the end, not the chest.) Let alone all the weaponry they had that was no longer used in the actual series. (The giant heat hawk and sniper rifle.)

Now where things merge into the same timeline is all the AU Gundams per the Black Hole Theory for Turn-A. But the general rule of thumb is when it comes to several pieces of content telling the same event, the movies take priority.

>>14026182
>A program to control a mecha is not part of mecha.
>Then proceeds to insult
I wish you wouldn't resort to /pol/ tier tactics and stick to the facts.
>>
>>14026265
You also have a quote from where I posted before during a Q&A over what does and doesn't count that happened in 2001.
>>14025940

Now the opposition, as we already seen in this thread is going quibble and say it doesn't count because there's hidden meaning in the word 'film' where it means other things as opposed to what the word is saying everything but the word itself which is a movie. Have you ever heard of a television show being refereed to as a film? They're basically pulling "what the definition of 'is' is?" on steroids to put doubt on a reliable quote or attempted to inject bias by having people put in their own personal interpenetration into it.

Unless Sunrise or Tomino comes out with a new quote to reaffirm what is defined as canon, it's extremely cut and dry and not the juxtaposition that >>14026022 portrays like the Zeon and Federation mobile suits in Thunderbolt were only used in that one area of the war in order to maintain some combined timeline. You have to remember in the mobile lines they're specifically referred to as Thunderbolt models, not just Gundam models.
Batten down the hatches for this thread OP, a shitstorm of trolls is upon us soon.
>>
File: products05_00.jpg (300KB, 888x752px) Image search: [Google]
products05_00.jpg
300KB, 888x752px
>>14026283
Model lines*
>>
Please do not argue with black knight
The topic was asking what is reccomended, and I believe that canon is not important. The argument shouldn't be "which is canon", but rather "which is more enjoyable"
>>
>>14026308
I was just answering a question in the thread and correcting >>14022660, but if you're the OP, I'll respect your wishes and vamoose if no one tries to challenge what I say.

Although for personal preference, for the original series. the movies have much better pacing and are more enjoyable.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.