[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Brief Mecha Panel

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5

Hi guys, I'm giving a very brief panel on mecha at a local convention. It's very small and most people haven't watched anything outside of MAYBE Gundam Wing on Toonami when it aired, so the series I'm thinking about mentioning are.

0079, Z, ZZ, CCA, Turn A, G
Big O
Tetsujin 28
Getter Robo
Evangelion
Gurren Lagann
VOTOMS
Giant Gorg
Gunbuster
Macross
Astro Boy
Patlabor
Mazinger Z
Aldnoah Zero

Any suggestions on other shows to include? I'm not going for a "here's the entire history" but more of a "here's some neat shows you should consider checking out and a little about them"
>>
Dougram, always a good recommendation.
Xabungle too for that matter.
>>
>>14017154
>Aldnoah Zero
Please don't
Or if you do, make sure to make a joke about how the audience should stick to it.

Looks like a pretty solid list though.
I think Geass also deserves a mention for how big it was. Maybe some other better more contemporary shows.
Also, no GitS?
>>
>>14017154
If you're looking at a Toonami crowd, you might want to consider mentioning a few GiTS-style entries (e.g. Armitage III), in case some folks like their robots on the smaller side.
>>
>>14017176
Definitely meant to include Geass and GitS, I posted this because I have shit memory.

Aldnoah is a solid show for the first season, which I'll recommend only. People should stay away from the second season.
>>
File: 1399253442575.jpg (70KB, 699x448px) Image search: [Google]
1399253442575.jpg
70KB, 699x448px
>>14017184
>a solid show for the first season
>>
>>14017184
R.I.P. in Peace, OP's thread
>>
>>14017192
>>14017200
The first season wasn't BAD. It's in no way amazing or anything on the same tier as the other stuff I listed, but it's an OK gateway show.

Can anyone dump the Gundam picture with all the shows and whatnot? It'd help me save time from tracking everything down.
>>
>>14017154
so, where's the convention op?
>>
File: Gundam Watchlist updated 2.jpg (3MB, 2800x3402px) Image search: [Google]
Gundam Watchlist updated 2.jpg
3MB, 2800x3402px
>>14017220
>>
>>14017250
My college holds a mini convention every year. It's got decent enough turnout to make hosting a panel worth it.

I'm also the OP image, it's what I'll be wearing during the panel.
>>
>>14017261
Could it be. . . ?
>>
>>14017265
OP, he is a CHAR!
>>
>>14017220
Considering you mentioned both better and worse stuff, just with different issues, it's not like there is one unified "tier" of perfection in your list.
>>
>>14017184
>Aldnoah is a solid show for the first season
Ya blew it
>>
>>
>>14017154
>Any suggestions on other shows to include? I'm not going for a "here's the entire history" but more of a "here's some neat shows you should consider checking out and a little about them"

It sounds more like "these are the shows I like and you should like them too". Doesn't seem very interesting.
>>
>>14017442
I haven't seen half of the shows in the OP, I've asked around other places and am just trying to get generally well-liked/known mech shows on there.
>>
>>14017442
On one hand, I want to agree with you: those are pretty solid, safe choices for shows to talk about, and I'd sort of expect something a little more exotic at a talk. However, given the audience OP is speaking for, there's plenty of variation in there. Patlabor, Gunbuster, and G Gundam alone is probably a wide enough spread to show off something unknown and likeable to 70% of the sort of crowd I'm imagining.

OP, you want to put Ginguiser in there, though. I guarantee you a lot of people there are hoping to find something to watch drunk with friends.
>>
>>14017621
Then why even bother talking about them in the first place.
>>
>>14017154
JUST M.D. GEIST AND DON'T STOP
>>
>>14017154
I don't like one-size-fits-all mecha recommendations. Unless someone is already into mecha -- which, at a panel like this, they may not be -- you want to recommend mecha in terms of "If you like [non-mecha franchise] then you'll like [mecha show]."

If you like Pacific Rim, then...
If you like Jojo, then...
If you like sports anime, then...
If you like moeshit, then...
If you like ecchi haremshit, then...
If you like BSG, then...
>>
>>14018029
I'd definitely agree with this. The problem with introducing mecha to other anime fans is getting past its stigma that all of it is repetitiveness and toyetic bullshit. It only mostly is. Giving them a touchstone to other anime or popular western franchises would help them find shows they are more likely to enjoy.
>>
>>14018109
>>14018029
"If you liked __, try __."

>Other anime
Gundam Wing on Toonami: Gundam 00
Evangelion: RahXephon, Fafner
Code Geass: Macross Frontier, Valvrave, Aldnoah
Fushugi Yuugi: Escaflowne, Rayearth
Jojo: Gurren Lagann
Modern idol anime: AKB0048, Macross Frontier
Sports anime: Build Fighters

>Tone
Maximum comfy: Fafner, Gargantia
Goofy humor: Gurren Lagann, G Gundam, Star Driver, Girl Who Leapt Through Space, Bodacious Space Pirates, Build Fighters
Secondhand embarrassment humor: Code Geass

>Genres
Sentai: Samurai Flamenco, Twintails
Film noir, procedurals: The Big O
Buddy cop comedies: Dirty Pair
YA dystopian fiction and also X-Men: Toward the Terra
Telenovelas: Code Geass, Macross (SDF and/or Frontier), Valvrave, Aldnoah

>Western franchises
Top Gun: Macross Plus
House of Cards: Legend of the Galactic Heroes
Orange is the New Black: Cross Ange
Water World: Gargantia
Robot Chicken/South Park: Titan Maximum
Futurama: Megas XLR
Star vs. the Forces of Evil/Steven Universe: Symbionic Titan

I'm spitballing here. I also think it's hard to get people who don't already watch mecha to start watching older shows like 0079 or SDF. The animation and humor are hard to get past for a modern viewer dipping their toes in the pool.
>>
>>14018257
>>14018109
>>14018029
This is solid advice, thank you guys.
>>
>>14017261
Make an autistic blue-haired boy punch you as you cry
>>
>>14019781
>>
>>14018257
>Maximum comfy: Fafner
>comfy
>Fafner

Well, I guess some of it is.
>>
>>14020959
The comfy parts are really comfy, to be fair.

It's just that the not comfy parts are really really not comfy.
>>
Honestly, several people I've known (including myself, a few years back) who weren't introduced to mecha any more than having watched TTGL and maybe Geass found 0079 fairly good but just couldn't sit through it. I'd recommend them 0079 as something to watch with friends. With people to laugh at all the dumb shit at with, it's a lot easier to recommend to the uninitiated.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.