[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do so many gundam pilots seem to have autism?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

File: Setsuna.jpg (39KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Setsuna.jpg
39KB, 1280x720px
Why do so many gundam pilots seem to have autism?
>>
Typical of hot blooded magical teenagers.
>>
>>14006725
Over sensitive kids are special snowflakes with magical powers.

Didn't you know?
>>
File: autism.gif (1MB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
autism.gif
1MB, 600x338px
>>14006725
So the people who watch Gundam can relate to the MC.
>>
Because the target audience is angsty teens who think they're special and adults just don't understand.
>>
>>14006725
there are no confirmed autistic gundam pilots
inb4 >i am an autistic child; kamille was being a smart ass to someone reprimanding him, and he clearly gains a good level of emotional intelligence throughout zeta

that said maybe heero is autistic, i dunno
>>
File: 1435543266553.jpg (94KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1435543266553.jpg
94KB, 500x500px
>>14006725
Because they aren't written by Tomino.
>>
I wouldn't say that Setsuna is autistic so much as he is emotionally deadened, a trait he shares with a lot of the 'child soldier' subset of anime protagonists.

It's not that he has some kind of major malfunction preventing him from socializing properly, it was that he was never properly socialized to begin with. On an academic level he groks that there is this thing called 'human interaction' that he could be trying, but when other kids were learning how to share on the playground he was learning how to build an IED.

It's kind of interesting that he winds up as the ambassador to the ELS, really, because he has an extremely useful perspective on it all: He's been observing the human race from the outside his entire life.
>>
Most Gundam pilots are young teenagers forced to be soldiers, often in wars they don't believe in or understand. It's not autism so much as it is the mental and emotional weight of being shoved around by things bigger than them for no other reason than their ability to pilot a war machine.
>>
>>14006864
Nah, Heero isn't autistic. He's emotionally mostly dead and a definite lone wolf, sure. But there's far more to actual autism than poor social skills.
>>
>>14007205
>he doesn't tell the attractive blondes "I'll kill you"
In seriousness, HeeroRelena is a very problematic pairing.
>>
nah, this isnt autism. this is just consistent shit writing to either make the protagonist an edge-meister (hurrrr nothing really hits home because i am so dark and mysterious) and sometimes they run into a little snag where they have to have the protag show emotions in order to advance the plot for whatever reason. at this point they severely overdo it, thus painting a picture of an emotionally unstable and unregulated guy who seems quite focused on one single thing. to the uneducated, this is autism.

the difference? lots. folks with autism tend to be very sensitive people, but often have trouble expressing themselves in a way society deems acceptable. there is a certain crudeness to it. likewise, they usually have problems picking up on subtleties like non-verbal communication, sarcasm, and irony. you can compare it to a form of blindness/numbness. cant speak for everyone who has autism, but i myself have been working hard for decades in order to become as normal as possible. therapy, training etc to become better at stuff that most people consider normal. its not fun. its hard work and at the end of the day i am exhausted. am i an emotionless bot who emo-rages every so often? no. not even close. neither are most others who have become aware of such things.

i work in mental healthcare now, helping people deal with the problems i had to deal with in the past. i hope to provide them a shortcut or at least some guidance, so that they too can become "normal" without the scarring that comes with the trial-and-error long route.

i must admit it is sometimes tiresome to hear autism being used as an insult. none of us chose this. none of us want this. its a stamp on our lives that doesnt make it easy. sure, there are quite a few dumbasses who act according to stereotype. those are the ones you often see. thats why it is a stereotype. the same goes for every other stereotype. really though, i would appreciate it if people would stop doing that.

thanks for reading anyway
>>
>>14006725
>Why do so many gundam pilots seem to have autism?

Usso, Bellri and I wanna say Judau were all decidedly non-autistic
>>
>>14007754
So people with autism can't use shift keys?
>>
>>14007761
Domon too
>>
>>14007205

Dude, no. There is seriously something broken and wrong with Heero
>>
>>14007763

Domon's chronic inability to detect how thirsty Rain was for his shining finger kind of puts him in the socially awkward part of the grid
>>
>>14007762

I`ll humor you. I can, though i could not be arsed. Despite the length of the post resembling an essay, it was not intended as such. Sorry for the discomfort this has caused.
>>
>>14007205

Heero exhibits a lot of those features, though.

>Mild echolalia
>Fixation on subject matter peers may have no interest in
>tendency to spin self or objects
>Poor social cues - tends to either hold eye contact too long or not at all
>Poor sense of safety
>No real theory of mind
>>
>>14007224
They're one of the few couples I can actually see staying with eachother forever.
>>
>>14006725

Man, Setsuna was pretty poor protagonist. His views aren't challenged at all throughout the course of the entire series. I don't think he ever wavered in whatever it was he wanted.

I mean, I'll let IBO off because we're meant to see Mika as fucked in the head. But Setsuna was a really, really poor choice to represent all of humanity to the ELS.
>>
>>14010845
Setsuna
>poor protagonist
Mika
>gets a free pass for being a fuckhead

Seriously did you only watch the movie to say that? Did you not watch the tv series?
I mean Mika is just a plain idiot, there's nothing more to it than that. Setsuna is actually thinking and has problems other than "MY NAKAMA".
>>
>>14010845
You must have missed the entire show because it's clear Setsuna's priorities changed from being a fanatical follower of CB to thinking about his actions, acting on his own accord to protect his friends and comrades, and ultimately sacrificing his humanity so the world could be at peace.

As for your comment about representing humanity, he was the perfect candidate: Someone who has seen the worst of humanity and yet still believes in its potential for good.
>>
>>14011002
>>14011039

What these two said. However you probably missed his actual point which he himself did not realize and tried to blame it on something else.

He was just trying to say that Setsuna's character development was boring, which it was, but it's not exactly like anyone else could claim otherwise in 00 to begin with.
>>
I think from here on out we'll see a lot of Mika vs. Setsuna discussions about who did the remorseless killer thing better.

Should be interesting to see.
>>
>>14012381
I'll still take it over arguing over Lyle or the flower or any other tired shitflinging about 00.
>>
>>14006725
Comes with being a newtype/innovator/whatever
>>
>>14007763
Honestly Domon's lack of social skills may be more from the fact he spent ten years training with Master Asia in Guyana, Meaning from the age of ten on he was only learning martial arts and thus did not gain proper social development
>>
>>14007761
Loran as well, not to mention he's one of the relatively older Gundam MC at 17.
>>
>>14012417
Isn't empathy the mark of a newtype?
Yet, the essence of autism is the inability to understand another's state of mind.
>>
>>14007754
very autistic reply desu
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.