[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Dragonar as good as its OP and mech designs imply it to be?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

File: dragonar_mechs.jpg (72KB, 504x345px) Image search: [Google]
dragonar_mechs.jpg
72KB, 504x345px
Is Dragonar as good as its OP and mech designs imply it to be?
>>
Yeah but there are no proper subs so you'll just have to be like the rest of /m/ and never watch beyond the opening.
>>
>>14000756
I've been going through the Netherlands for 15 episodes now. Yeah the subs are bad, but I can still get an idea of what's happening.
>>
Oh no, the OP is very much misleading as to how the animation quality is.

But the show itself, it's not bad. It's pretty good actually. It feels like a Gundam AU but not really though
>>
>>14000765
I can see myself enjoying it for being Gundam but not actually being Gundam.

Gundam has been held back by its name for a long time, it's kinda tragic.
>>
>>14000765
I thought that would be a given. No show ever has the same animation quality as its opening. Except, maybe, God Mazinger.
>>
>>14000754
It's good enough, but apparently not to the point of motivating Starseeker to continue regularly.

>>14000798
Or Giant Gorg, for that matter.
>>
>>14000798
yeah, but Dragonar is infamous for that. Obari was fired for making the Dragonar-1 far cooler than it was in the series itself.
>>
>>14000824
>Obari was fired for making the Dragonar-1 far cooler than it was in the series itself.
oh wow, for fucking real?
>>
>>14000798
I'd make a joke about a certain Gundam that used show clips for its OP animation but this thread doesn't need the shitposting.
>>
>>14000773
Honestly, I feel like that 'Gundam but not Gundam' thing is a big part of what screwed it from ever really becoming more than the one series.
The show really tries to be as much Gundam as it can without actually being Gundam to the point where the only thing keeping it from being a Gundam AU is a CTRL-F on select terms and designs.
As a consequence, it really doesn't have a lot that is distinctly 'Dragonar' enough to make people want more when Gundam is already scratching that similar itch.

It's not bad, but a part of me would have liked to see it try to be its own series more.
>>
>>14000754
The OP is also misleading in the sense that the series is more lighthearted and comedic than the OP shows.
>>
>>14000754

No, not at all. It's extremely boring, actually.

>>14000824

Need a source on that, friend.
>>
>>14000852
The thing is, a lot of the gundamisms and how they're played with or even ultimately discarded in favor of other things was something that kept me interested throughout Valvrave.

You're going to go
>valvrave
and all but seriously it was able to explore trust themes using the sort of outlandish plot pushing devices that Gundam couldn't dare to associate itself with (gothic horror does not really come off as something that Gundam proper could do).

So really I wish Sunrise had more of those shows that are clearly derived from the same basic starting plan, but went in more experimental directions as opposed to doing AUs only to hold back and play things safe when the suits say so. There's only so many ways you can package Gundam while respecting the needs of the franchise to move plastic.

In a sense, I'd rather have Gundam AUs not actually be under the Gundam property. Have them be evocative of the franchise, but in the sense of "inspired by" rather than "a reimagining of."
>>
I think so.
It's not an original show by any means, but it's really good at being a not gundam more so than other titles like Valvrave
>>
>>14000824
>>14000847
He wasn't fired, but they had to re-animate the OP because his rendition of the Dragonars didn't match the proper design, which meant it didn't match the toys, meaning it was breaking a marketing law and had to be corrected.

It was about details, not style.
>>
>>14000898
An interesting point, but one that has me wondering if you saw Dragonar or not.
Valvrave had a similar jumping off point, but, again, it did a lot more to establish its own unique identity pretty early on.

Dragonar, for the most part, never really gains its own unique personality. Its setting prettymuch continues to be an off-the-rack Gundam up to and including a giant psycommu space fortress.

So while you raise an interesting point...doesn't really work as well for Dragonar as it does for VVV.
>>
>>14001663
I was just wondering if I'd get into Dragonar for similar reasons, but if it's more Gundam than not maybe it won't.

At least the opening is groovy as fuck.
>>
>>14001672
What he meant is that it shares a lot of aesthetics and concepts as Gundam, not the plot or characters.

The show establishes an identity of its own the same way a person does. Just because 2 people are very similar, even to the point of looking alike, you could still hate one and love the other.
>>
File: D3 fucks shit up.gif (3MB, 300x234px) Image search: [Google]
D3 fucks shit up.gif
3MB, 300x234px
>>14000754
Oh goodness no. But that's because the opening and mech designs are fucking god tier. It's not everyone's cup of tea (Starseeker isn't as much a fan of it), but I thought it was pretty solid.

>>14000852
It was before any of the other Gundam AUs, and as my memory serves was supposed to basically be what the modern Gundam AUs are, so if you go into it with that perspective it helps.

>>14001672
Basically go into it expecting "OYW except much more lighthearted where Char is also Tem Ray's son and is also Quattro and possibly prototype Harry Ord and where the mechs do things like this and also the greatest grunt unit of all time."

(but seriously, you would not believe how much ass the Dragoons kick until you watch the show. You know how in most Gundam-alikes, the grunts are apparently pretty good but never amount to anything? Well, you see what they do to the enemy onscreen in Dragonar, and it's fucking great.)
>>
>>14001836
>Starseeker
Who
>>
>>14001901
The person who's been translating the series, if I'm not mistaken.
>>
>>14001932
Bingo. The only reason she works on it at all is that she's the only available person that Gunlord (who is a bigger fan and fellow staff member) could plead very nicely to about it. It doesn't help that Luurah might not have seen any late 80s show as a kid, so him pitching in is right out.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.