[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Comfy Halo Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 6

File: blueteam.jpg (154KB, 1280x654px) Image search: [Google]
blueteam.jpg
154KB, 1280x654px
So i finally beat Halo 5.

I ended up enjoying it a lot more than I expected to, but boy, it was about 300% worse than it should've been. Imo, Halo's setting is a goldmine, but the way they chose to pursue the storyline was so maligned in its execution, 343i must be scratching its collective head at just how much they fucked up.

I was not pleased with how little screen-time Blue Team got, and Cortana's character assassination was pretty miserable to endure. Osiris felt shoehorned, and holy shit, did the marketing team fuck up.

I thought the aesthetics of most of the game were pretty nice, especially on the Forerunner planet. I liked the Knights getting revamped, but the Soldiers were pretty awful. Crawlers were fun, and I usually like fighting them more than Grunts.

How did you guys feel about the vehicle appearance changes?

Kelly best gril.

Reach had the best armor. Prove me wrong
>>
>>13978991
They better not have fucked up mah girl Linda.
>>
>>13978995
There wasn't enough time for anyone on Blue Team to get screwed over in the writing department, thankfully.

It's funny cause they're the impetus for everything Osiris does, but despite the fact they don't show up on screen much, they still felt absurdly more relate-able. Buck was really stale compared to his ODST flavor too. It's like the writers wanted to take some narrative risks, but they just didn't have the balls to go through with it for fear of alienating people, but given the fact that this was the worst selling Halo title yet, it seems they did anyways.

The Blue Team missions were heads above the rest, but they were so sparse, it felt like I was only playing part of a game. It was weird as hell.
>>
>>13978991

The new trilogy Mjolnir armor designs are a cut above the previous iterations in detail, but suffer from resembling cardboard Gundam guy if the person wearing has a smaller body frame than usual. Pretty much almost all the female Spartans look like that.

Also there are way too many situation-specced variants.

Still waiting for regular Marines to get some tech improvement back from all that RnD on Spartan-side technology.

Shield pound is one good-looking move at least.

I'd love to look more at the ship designs but I don't think we've seen any of the others that aren't the Infinity enough to have something to talk about.

What are the odds that H6 will have another Infinity a la Dominion to Archangel?
>>
>>13978991
>Reach had the best armor. Prove me wrong
I agree, but then again I'm in the minority in that I think Reach was the best Halo game.

I just don't like what 343i have done with Halo to be honest. I don't like what they've done with the gameplay, I hate their art direction (particularly when it mish-mashes with Bungie's) and Halo without Marty O'Donnell's music is just criminal.

I wouldn't be so butthurt about it if Destiny didn't also turn out with a whimper.
>>
>>13979145
>>13978991
>Reach was the best Halo game
>Reach had the best designs in the series

I...I didn't think anyone else understood...
>>
>>13978991
>>13979145
>>13979666
>>Reach had the best designs in the series
Holy shit, I'm home.
>>
>>13979672
I know we fight about some things but we are truly brothers of the heart.
>>
>>13979145
>>13979666
>>13979672
My associates of African heritage.

You guys get it.
>>
>>13978991
the new Pelican and rocket launcher looked fucking disgusting.
>dude space hind lmao
>>
>>13978991
>comfy
>>>/v/
>>
>>13979666
Plenty of people like Reach, it's just that one vocal group that won't shut up about "boo hoo sprinting" that ruins discussion about it. It's probably my favorite Halo.

3 was a better game competitively because it didn't have recoil bloom, though. Reach really should have had a game type option to disable that.
>>
>>13979145
>>13979666
>>13979672
I think 3 is the best game overall, but Reach will always have a special place in my heart. 3 has probably the most perfect level in vidya I've ever played.
>>13979696
I don't mind the new Rocket launcher, except for the fact it wasn't the Spnkr.
I acually thought the UINSC weapons were the best they'd been in any game with the exception of the Rocket Launcher and Splaser

>>13979702
So I take it you don't like Reach.
>>
Reminder that a game about people wearing caution tape on their shoes is better than a game with 12v12 multiplayer on a console.
>>
>>13980154
>a game with 12v12 multiplayer on a console.
You know that's not special, right? The console versions of Battlefield 3 had 16v16.
>>
>>13980167
A game on PS3 had 64v64, and nobody cared.
8v8 has been the norm since Halo became a thing.
>>
>>13979007
>>13978991
The game felt like they had a change of heart halway through development about where they wanted to go with the story.

I can't help but shake the feeling that they had to cut out stuff or rewrite. You can feel that there is something wrong with the campaign (We know 343i can do great story telling, just look at Halo 4) and that it's more of a patched together version of what it could have been.

Still the multiplayer is really good so they got that.
>>
>>13979145
>but then again I'm in the minority in that I think Reach was the best Halo game.
>>13979666

Don't worry anons you are not alone
>>
>>13980219
>I can't help but shake the feeling that they had to cut out stuff or rewrite
Personally, I think it was upper management throwing a wrench into things.

While I wouldn't call 4 "great", it was at least good, and SpOps had some really neat lore things. The stuff with the Lirarian and Didact felt almost completely wiped under the floor.

I got the vibe they were originally just gonna have it just be Chief going to rescue Cortana who had been commandeered by the Warden, but apparently that would've been to simple. It also would've fit the theme of the Prometheans being general douchebags, but instead this undercut it.
>>
dude the tragic scientist character from the past 4 games, and novels turns out to be literally hitler lmao
>>
>>13980244
DUDE CHILD SOLDIERS PILOTING GUNDAMS IS WRONG LMAO
>>
>>13980244
>>13980254
BRAVO 343i
>>
>>13978991
Reach definitely had the best armor and I'd go so far to say it was the best Halo game.
>>
>>13980244
ONI's plan makes no fucking sense.
>don't want the world to learn the truth of the S4 program
>very publicly bring attention to the woman who made the program
>have her in custody
>send her on fucking missions instead of locking her in a box and scapegoating her
>send the only SIIs on totally-possible missions instead of killing them
>try to slander Master Chief by setting up an assassination attempt
>he stops it in his spare fucking time
>spend forever, hiring multiple journalists and actors to try and twist it as MC being a country boy who was just awesome
>while also trying to claim he was behind the assassination attempt
>proceed to then tell the world that he wasn't behind it, and bring even more attention to the SII program than ever
>then kidnap a journalist who knew the truth and try to brainwash him into making a public apology
>THEN reveal that half the fucking S4s already know everything behind the SII program, even though most of them are UNSC and not ONI
>>
>>13980295
Hunt the Truth was actually pretty good..out of the context of the whoole narrative.. I was really fucking mad the plot of 5 wasn't revolving around The Chief exposing ONI's corruption as he seeks to achieve the 'Mantle', Locke would of course be the Arbiter analogue as he learns about just how deep the rabbit hole goes, and eventually comes to stand against ONI.
Were it so easy.
>>
>>13980305
To elaborate, maybe he needs Cortana to use the Domain (makes sense) which could eventually stop ONI's bullshit (maybe they find the "Guardians" or other superweapns).

So he goes AWOL to get her back much to the chagrin of ONI, however crazy that would be because that's what he does.
>>
>>13980305
Everything about ONI going from True Neutral to Chaotic Evil would have been fine if the game itself focused on it, but ONI is barely mentioned in 5.
5 should have been about Chief shooting S4s in the ONI building in New New Mombasa while being assisted by Dare, Buck, Rookie, and Blue Team.
As a side, instead of having Locke, just have it be Thorne or even Rookie as the ONI soldier hunting Chief.
>>
>>13980315
>Rookie
R.I.P. in Peace
>Thorne
He was pretty cool, but he wasn't diverse enough.

Dammnit give me more Blur animated Fireteam Majestic.
>>
>>13980332
Can't. Their leader is dead.
>>
>>13980336
Thorne took his place, their leader got promoted/reassigned then killed.
>>
But for real.

Linda is love.
Linda is life.
>>
>>13980315
>rookie gets wasted by insurrectionists
t r i g g e r e d
>>
Anyone got the 'Straight Outta Reach' macro with Blue Team (not Noble)
>>13980346
She'd pilot Cherno Alpha.

>yfw the Halo 5 E.V.A. helmet has a similar aesthetic to Striker Eureka
>>
>>13979704
You really know nothing about the competitive Halo community if you think sprint and bloom were the only things people said were wrong with Reach gameplay.
>>
>>13980452
Yeah, the sword parry with any weapons was retarded.
>>
>>13979672
It was stupid, massively tacticool shit, but I loved it. CQB best helmet.
>>
>>13978991
>Halo's setting is a goldmine
I don't get why people say this. There are almost no interesting or original ideas in Halo's lore. All it has is a lot of Star Wars EU style STUFF. Not good stuff, just STUFF. Stuff that the dim-witted fans feel they need to know about for some reason, as if it will improve their lives somehow.
>>
>>13980560
You say that on /m/, a board originally made because of Gundam.
>>
>>13980560
>why do people like things
>>
>>13980567
Even Gundam has much more thought-provoking content than the Halo universe.

>>13980575
There are people who like playing freemium mobile games all day too, I don't see your point.
>>
>>13980586
>Even Gundam has much more thought-provoking content than the Halo universe.
It really, really doesn't.
>>
>>13980593
Gundam actually speculates in an interesting way about the potential future of the human race. Halo says "we're space marines, let's go kick some alien ass". That's just one example, but there are many more to be found in the way that Gundam explores human relationships through its diverse casts of characters, compared to Halo characters who are generally all willing, combat-ready soldiers.
>>
>>13980560
It's simple and relatable. Sure it's derivative, but that doesn't make it bad.
When people say Halo's setting is fertile, it's because it's such an easy canvas and springboard for more retellings of other good sci-fi.
>>
>>13980617
Everything you just said can have the nouns be flipped and it will still be true. You're greatly marginalizing everything to pretend to have a point.
>>
>>13980617
>why is a military sci fi series focussed around the military
gee, I wonder
>>
Does /m/ still play Reach?
>>
>>13980881
not since my 360 bricked

pc emulator + rip when
>>
>>13980894
Never ever.

But you can just buy an Xbox One and enjoy Backwards Compatibility.
>>
>>13980903
negative ghostrider. Maybe if I found an xbone laying on the street or something
>>
>>13980881
Not since 2011 since I got tired of it.
>>13980903
Nice joke
>>
>>13980917
>Nice joke
I was kidding, but I already had an XBone, so I do enjoy Firefight with the new controller.
>>
>>13980617
>I played a bit of Halo 3 once. Let me tell you about the entire franchise.
>>
>>13980881
I stopped playing when 343 diddled with it.
>>
>>13980881
Haven't even finished ODST before my xbawks went tits up a second time.

A shame because I was digging ODST quite a bit.
>>
S0 5's multiplayer is pretty great.
>>
>Reach had the best armor. Prove me wrong

You know damn well I can't.
>>
File: aku.png (457KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
aku.png
457KB, 640x480px
>>13979007
>but given the fact that this was the worst selling Halo title yet, it seems they did anyways.

I'd imagine the fact that it's on the XBONE has something to do with it.

I don't know a single fucking person who has one.

>Xbone came out 2013
>mfw it's already the current year
>>
>>13984822
Same reason Moss made and released Raiden V for it; US fans will get it anyway.
>>
>>13984822
Fwiw, surprisingly it doubled Bloodborne's sales
>>
I will never not be fucking mad at the shit ending Rookie got.
>>
I'll honestly never forgive 343i for ruining the lore the way they did. Making humans ancient astronauts instead of the forerunners successors, turning the flood from an outside the galaxy apex predator into a science project, making the forerunners evil for some lame twist, and making Master Chief a "chosen one" from a goddamn prophecy.
>>
>>13985027
The explanation they made to reconcile the Didact from the Halo 3 terminals and their evil Didact is hilarious though.
>>
>>13985027

All they need to do is add in psychic powers and some kind of cold-war holdover anti-nuke message, and they'll pretty much have the shitty sci-fi tropes bingo.
>>
>>13984999
The Rookie was low tier, but offscreening a character is garbage.
>>
>>13980531
Finally someone with taste.

I will never understand why they fucking removed it.
>>
>>13980617
Go read Fall of Reach, asshole.

The old version, not that revised shit.
>>
>>13985040
How exactly DID they explain that one? And how did he survive 4 in order to appear in the comics?
>>
>>13984999
This is what killed my desire to play 343's Halo.
>>
>>13985111
Mind imprint technology.

There were TWO Didacts back during the Flood/Forerunner conflict.
>>13985115
4 came out before they killed the Rookie. It's not half-bad. SpOps was pretty enjoyable too.
>>
>>13985107

Wait, they revised the book?

Because the only thing worse than how they butchered that story for Halo:Reach was how badly they butchered the entire fucking rest of the setting for Halo:4 and 5.

Halo:Reach still had the best overall art direction in the series, though.
>>
>>13985125
I never understood why that was even necessary though. If they needed a forerunner villain, why not make one up themselves? Why deliberately go out of their way to use a forerunner whose entire backstory and characterization was the exact opposite of what they wanted for their villain?
>>
>>13985125
Was it? I heard that is was terrible. Well my 360 still works and I have some spare time so why not, i'll pick it up.
>>
>>13985140
https://www.amazon.ca/Halo-Fall-Reach-Eric-Nylund/dp/0765367297?ie=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0

>The "definitive" edition
The words are like poison in my mouth.

>The Pillar of Autumn wasn't en route for it's mission when Reach was attacked.
>They still never picked up Red Team.
>>
>>13985111
>How exactly DID they explain that one?
So years before the Terminals logs of the final year the original Didact made a mind backup of himself (High rank Forerunners do that btw) Some low rank scrub gets mindfucked into being Didact because the original Didact gets supposedly killed, but actually corrupted by the Flood and the backup realizes they need a new Didact in charge asap so it grabs the nearest guy.

Funniest part is how new Didact gets to be with the Librarian like nothing even happened.
>>
>>13985144
I dunno man. They could've easily used the Warden from 5

Hell I half expected him to actually be the villain while I was playing through and thought maybe he was imitating Cortana. BUT NO that wouldn't have been edgy enough

>>13985146
I spent a good damn long amount of time playing it. It's easily the best looking game on the 360 and possibly of that generation.

Campaign had some great setpieces and a handful of excellent sections. It was a tad short though The art design isn't my favorite, but I really do like the Chief's new duds nanomachines son
The Spartan Ops thing makes up for the length of the campaign with a series of objective oriented stages that tell the story of events a few months after the end of 4 and they're pretty significantly lengthy.

I wish they'd kept them in for 5.
>>
>>13985168
That does sound pretty fun

How was the OST? Did it live up to Marty's previous work?
>>
>>13985186
No.

They changed the entire soundscape too. Warthogs sound like Mongeese, ARs sound hollow and wooden.
>>
>>13985186
Prety much what this guy said >>13985206

Also, they redesigned mostly all of the Covie armor. It looks weird. I get that they're supposed to be ill equipped Covenant leftovers trying to depose the Arbiter, but it looks too round and not sleek and angular.

I ended up using Forerunner weapons more than anything else so it never really bothered me that much.

While it isn't as great in 4, the Lightrifle is god-tier in 5. I used the Suppressor most of the time in 4. Suppressor/BR combo was great in multiplayer.
>>
>>13979145
Reach had the best campaign.

Halo after Reach just feels like a cash grab. Like how Jaws got all those sequels. I suppose they can't kill a big IP.
>>
>>13985220
>3 had the best campaign.
ftfy

It'd be nice if they'd do 3 over in Reach's artstyle when they remaster it.
>>
>>13980560
Yeah Halo is not exactly the best sci fi you can find. Not even the best videogame sci fi (Homeworld has that title).
>>
File: 1455649949576.jpg (16KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
1455649949576.jpg
16KB, 320x320px
>>13978991
>Reach had the best armor.
>>
>>13985168

I thought Spartan Ops was a bit too draggy, myself. Repetition of some of the tilesets seriously need to be reduced.
>>
>>13985224
I'd have liked 3's campaign more if it weren't for the Cortana/gravemind interrupts. It's a neat background effect, but there should've been a skull option to turn that off when it gets annoying.
>>
>>13985520
It happens like 6 times across the entire game. They're not even during combat, well maybe one or two of the gravemind's could've ended up during a combat during 'Cortana'

There're several other complaints, that even I have, but that's a really strange one.
>>
>>13985609
It's the slow-down in movement and obscured vision I didn't like. I'd prefer pacing to remain going at the player's discretion and not be broken by a time-out screen when reaching certain checkpoints.
It's probably why "The Arc" is one of my favorite levels in 3, simply because there's no Cortana/Gravemind to break the flow of things. It's a nice, big, smooth level.
>>
File: 128.jpg (58KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
128.jpg
58KB, 250x250px
>>13979070
yeah, Id have to agree with you, I wanted to like the armor designs but they're just so exposed with the plating. Reach definitely had the best designs.
>>
>>13985266
> dat operator feel to the armor
>feeling like a super soldier and not like iron man in halo 4+
Thread posts: 88
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.