[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Will we ever get another Mecha show that sells like crazy?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 2

File: fall sales.png (79KB, 1134x904px) Image search: [Google]
fall sales.png
79KB, 1134x904px
Mecha has always been a somewhat niche genre in anime, but will we ever see another show that becomes crazy popular while airing? The last time we had a show go past 30k average sales was back in 2007/8 with Gundam 00, Macross Frontier, and Code Geass each coasting around 35-45k sales.

The only mecha shows that've passed the 10k average in the last 10 years are Gurren Lagann, Tiger & Bunny, Infinite Stratos (Both seasons), and Symphogear GX. Even shows like Reconguista in G and Aldnoah Zero barely make the 10k mark, even with having people like Tomino and Urobuchi to try and sell by name alone.

Basically, what will it take to get a blockbuster mecha anime in the next few years? Will IBO and Macross Delta make it past 10K on average?
>>
how about we release a fuck ton of mecha anime at the same time? it seems we missed japan's cyberpunk year by a year or two, but i do recall that ARISE was a big hit. The fuchicoma's might not qualify as meca to you, as there is no pilot. However, they do to me represent a good indication of remote operated drone mecha of the future, being opperated entirely by voice.
>>
>>13913137
IBO is not really possible, v2 is struggling past 9k, the v3 and subsequent volume drops will definitely lower the average. Macross Delta is a maybe at this point, but I wouldn't bank on it.
>>
Didn't Akito do well enough for a another episode?
>>
>>13913137
Here's my hypothesis as to why this is the case.

Mecha is actually the biggest niche. You don't realize how many niches are being created with every season.

There's the problem. People in the industry just make too many fucking shows. There's a lot of variety out there so the audience is going in a lot of directions.

Most shows don't even make it past 2k these days, because they already targeted the niche of niche.

Why watch something like Gundam, when you can watch another mecha show that very specifically target your tastes?
>>
>>13913165
There still isn't a mecha show about spider robots doing cute spider things though
>>
>>13913180
that day might come
>>
File: kanye.jpg (48KB, 533x363px) Image search: [Google]
kanye.jpg
48KB, 533x363px
Sorry, imma let you finish but Gundam Unicorn was the one of best selling anime OF ALL TIME
OF ALL TIME
>>
There hasn't been an omnipandering mecha series in a long time. Closest I can seriously think of was Aquarion Evol and I'm fucking reaching for that one.

One who masters the omnipandering masters the 25k+ sales
>>
>>13913208
>tfw the might of fujo alone can no longer sustain a genre

Fuck this insufficiently gay earth, I guess.
>>
>>13913161
Akito sells over 20k per volume, but it's not a TV anime.
>>
>>13913208

But IBO is trying to omnipander.
>>
>>13913251
In /m/, omnipandering also includes pandering to robotfags, and IBO falls short in that regard. Also Kudelia is horrible and Atra is irrelevant.
>>
>>13913251
They're really not stroking my HG boner hard enough. More like hurting it, honestly.
I really hate their mechanical designer, whoever it is.
They're not even bad; they design great mecha until they add one detail that makes me ultimately hate it.

>I want to love Graze's so much
>>
>>13913251
>But IBO is trying to omnipander
No. No it's not
>>
>>13913286
It's got fanservices for the ladies
It's got fanservices for the dudes
It's got fanservice for the /m/en
It's got fanservice for the SJW
>>
>>13913299
>fanservices
*fanservice
>>
>>13913299
This is not untrue
>>
Delta might. Macross doesn't have the risk of over saturation that Gundam does.
>>
>>13913137
If you go back to the 00s they were A LOT of mecha anime that bombed or sold below 10k on average (RahXephon, Eureka Seven, etc.) so its not as if it stopped being a niche rather the shows that were hugely popular came from high profile studios and were the exception not the rule. Looking back the appeal to these shows were obvious and the reason why no mecha show this decade has sold to that level is because its been done before and buyers aren't as impressionable as they were back then. Also the competition wasn't nearly as steep, when SEED was released it was the only big property in its season so buyers were all veering to get it first same with Code Geass, 00, and Frontier. Its much harder to draw casuals into mecha nowadays due to the limited appeal beyond the robots which is why all those titles were successful because they hit a spot where people who weren't necessarily fans of the genre bought it. So its less that people don't like mecha anymore just that the market is back to the way it was two decades prior.
>>
>>13913137
>Even shows like Reconguista in G and Aldnoah Zero barely make the 10k mark, even with having people like Tomino and Urobuchi to try and sell by name alone.
Tomino has never been a high seller on his name alone given that everything he's done after ZZ bombed. G-Reco is the biggest hit he's had in years.

Delta will not sell as well as Frontier but I can already see that its release pattern will he very much similar to Symphogear with event ticket offers so that might help it a bit.
>>
>>13913351
>Macross doesn't have the risk of over saturation that Gundam does.
Its also not a consistent top seller like Gundam due to the limited brand appeal. People seem to forget how dead the franchise was before Frontier and based on the reactions of the PV episode Delta won't have the same impact. If Delta sells well it'll be because of event ticket offers if the show doesn't click with casuals like Frontier.
>>
>>13913165
>Why watch something like Gundam, when you can watch another mecha show that very specifically target your tastes?

You make it sound like non Gundam mecha series are shit. It's the opposite. Gundam nowadays is a walking commercial and the story aspect is not even contemplated (Sunrise stopped caring about the story after Gundam 00). Take for instance Fafner Exodus. A simple 25 episode tv series. It certainly doesn't answer all the questions it started with, but holy cow in 26 episodes it has more story and character development than the Gundam franchise has had in the last 8 years. That should tell you something. If people are not flocking to Gundam it has nothing to do with other mecha shows (which are a rarity these days). If gunpla are the olny thing you're interested in buy them. Watching a Gundam show is not a prerequisite to enjoy model building. If on the other hand you want a good mecha story then turing to Gundam is the wrong thing to do. 'cause Sunrise doesn't give a shit about telling a coherent story. Take IBO as the latest example as what is wrong with Sunrise.
>>
>>13913180
>What is GitS?
>>
>>13913419
>but holy cow in 26 episodes it has more story and character development than the Gundam franchise has had in the last 8 years

Certainly not the last 8 years.
>>
>>13913430
>Certainly not the last 8 years.

What Gundam tv series after 00 has had an interesting well developed story and characters ?
Don't even mention Unicorn (it's an oav). And G-Reco has pacing and character issues so bad that it borders on the ridiculous. As for IBO it's a show beyond redemption. So what is left to uphold the Gundam banner ?
>>
>>13913419
>You make it sound like non Gundam mecha series are shit. It's the opposite.
Pretty fucking sure A/Z, Comet Lucifer, M3, Argevollen, Buddy Complex, Valvrave, Gargantia are worse than Gundam's current offerings. Also Gundam has ALWAYS been a toy commercial, Fafner is also a show that's pushing a product so knocking any show as being a toy commercial is fucking stupid. GBF is a toy commercial yet it has more heart the the bulk of mecha offerings this decade same with MJP and Exodus.
>>
>>13913452
>Pretty fucking sure A/Z, Comet Lucifer, M3, Argevollen, Buddy Complex, Valvrave, Gargantia are worse than Gundam's current offerings. Also Gundam has ALWAYS been a toy commercial, Fafner is also a show that's pushing a product so knocking any show as being a toy commercial is fucking stupid. GBF is a toy commercial yet it has more heart the the bulk of mecha offerings this decade same with MJP and Exodus.

Ah when people don't want to understand. All mecha shows are toy commercials. That is not the point. The point is that Sunrise these last couple of years has pushed the toy aspect in Gundam TO THE FUCKING DETRIMENT OF CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT AND STORY. That is why all modern serious Gundam tv series are shit. Fafner doesn't fall into this kind of trap. While there are mecha in Fafneer, you can see how the people working on it fleshed out the world building aspect, characters and story. Sunrise is unable to do that with Gundam anymore.
>>
Gundam sells more kits than discs
>>
>>13913452
>Fafner is pushing a product
BDs? Cause it certainly doesn't have kits. Exodus didn't bring any new figures.
>>
>>13913449

>it's an oav

How does that disqualify it?

> And G-Reco has pacing and character issues so bad that it borders on the ridiculous.

Certainly not for half the people on this board, and it's hardly like Fafner doesn't have those issues either.

>interesting well developed story

Oh, this'll be good. Explain, please, in this context.
>>
>>13913137
>Basically, what will it take to get a blockbuster mecha anime in the next few years?
Another Killer Yamato/Lax Klein.
>>
>>13913390
I may not have the exact numbers but haven't literally all the entries been really successful? I'm only guessing this because of SDF's extension due to popularity and Fire Bomber becoming such a big name in Japan that 7 got a bunch of extra stuff
>>
>>13913720
But 00 was a blockbuster without those things as was Tiger and Bunny
>>
>>13913731
>I may not have the exact numbers but haven't literally all the entries been really successful?
II and Zero bombed. Plus also underperformed.
>>
>>13913699
Yes dumbfuck BDs also count as a product, music as well as character goods too.
>>13913496
>The point is that Sunrise these last couple of years has pushed the toy aspect in Gundam TO THE FUCKING DETRIMENT OF CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT AND STORY
This has never fucking happened. IBO barely has any fucking mecha action, how the fuck can you say them pushing the product is getting in the way of storytelling when there's barely any goddamn product to begin with?
>>
>>13913496
>The point is that Sunrise these last couple of years has pushed the toy aspect in Gundam TO THE FUCKING DETRIMENT OF CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT AND STORY.
IBO says hi. Please explain how the *lack* of mecha content is getting in the way of storytelling.
>While there are mecha in Fafneer, you can see how the people working on it fleshed out the world building aspect, characters and story.
You can say the same thing with G-Reco and GBF. Again what is your point? If AGE, TRY and IBO are shit it's because it was done by a staff who didn't give a shit.
>>
>>13913208
I thought Star Driver was, but the show itself was boring and kinda shitty, so that probably hurt it.
>>
>>13913739
Okay so the TV series all did good. I'd put better stock in that then
>>
>>13913769
Star Driver was before Evol
>>
>>13913731
>but haven't literally all the entries been really successful?

○超時空要塞マクロス
巻数 初動 2週計 累計 発売日
BOX1 *,916 2,081 3,433 00.01.25 ※1~12話収録
BOX2 1,270 2,174 *,*** 00.03.25 ※13~24話収録
BOX3 1,928 *,*** *,*** 00.05.25 ※25~36話収録
BOX 3,720 *,*** *,*** 08.02.22 ※2週計 4,531~4,533枚(売り上げ金額ベースより算出)、メモリアルボックス
BOX 2,880 3,165 *,*** 12.05.25 ※Blu-ray BOX Complete Edition

○超時空要塞マクロス 愛・おぼえていますか
巻数 初動 2週計 累計 発売日
劇場 *,*** *,*** *,*** 98.07.25
劇場 *,*** *,*** *,*** 99.08.25 ※完全版
劇場 6,583 *,*** 9,875 07.12.21 ※HDリマスター版 メモリアルボックス
劇場 3,897 4,489 4,739 16.01.29 ※Blu-ray

○超時空要塞マクロス Flash Back 2012
巻数 初動 発売日
特別 *,*** 00.04.28
特別 3,027 08.02.22
※ミュージッククリップ集
○マクロスプラス
巻数 初動 2週計 累計 発売日
01巻 1,432 3,311 4,531 00.01.22 ※1、2話収録
02巻 2,197 2,969 *,*** 00.03.25 ※3、4話収録

○マクロスプラス MOVIE EDITION
巻数 初動 2週計 発売日
劇場 2,024 4,109 00.07.25
劇場 1,040 *,*** 16.01.29 ※Blu-ray

○マクロスプラス DVD-BOX
巻数 初動 2週計 累計 発売日
BOX 1,872 *,*** *,*** 07.08.24 ※リマスターボックス
BOX 7,174 7,813 8,755 13.06.21 ※Complete Blu-ray Box
※OVA全4話、MOVIE EDITION収録

○超時空要塞マクロスⅡ -LOVERS AGAIN-
巻数 初動 発売日
BOX *,*** 01.06.25
BOX 1,932 14.07.25 ※Blu-ray BOX
>>
If it sold well you all would call it shit because Japan always has shit taste (except when they like the things you like).

Go back to s/a/les, faggot.
>>
>>13913794
○マクロスダイナマイト7(OVA)
巻数 初動 発売日
01巻 *,*** 00.07.25 ※1、2話収録
02巻 *,*** 00.09.25 ※3、4話収録

○マクロス7 ~銀河がオレを呼んでいる!~
巻数 初動 発売日
劇場 *,*** 00.09.25

○マクロス7 リマスターボックス
巻数 初動 2週計 発売日
BOX1 *,*** *,*** 07.09.25 ※1~30話収録
BOX2 *,*** *,*** 07.10.26 ※31~49話、未放映3話、劇場版、OVA4話収録
BOX1 3,069 4,140 12.10.26 ※1~29話収録
BOX2 3,851 *,*** 12.12.21 ※30~49話、未放映3話、劇場版、OVA4話収録
○マクロスF(フロンティア)【全9巻】
巻数 初動 2週計 累計 発売日
DVD(BD) DVD(BD) DVD(BD)
01巻 17,548(**,***) 22,183(**,***) 30,239(34,742) 08.07.25 ※合計 64,981枚
02巻 15,488(**,***) 18,941(**,***) 22,393(27,137) 08.09.26 ※合計 49,530枚
03巻 14,828(**,***) 18,637(**,***) 21,429(25,479) 08.10.24 ※合計 46,908枚
04巻 12,218(**,***) 17,426(**,***) 19,836(22,731) 08.11.21 ※合計 42,567枚
05巻 12,640(**,***) **,***(**,***) 19,654(25,295) 08.12.19 ※合計 44,949枚
06巻 13,657(**,***) 17,261(**,***) 18,907(23,734) 09.01.23 ※合計 42,641枚
07巻 12,368(**,***) 16,846(**,***) 18,255(23,381) 09.02.20 ※合計 41,636枚
08巻 13,655(**,***) 16,068(**,***) 17,575(21,650) 09.03.27 ※合計 39,225枚
09巻 14,349(**,***) 17,477(**,***) 19,305(23,579) 09.04.24 ※合計 42,884枚
※1巻は第1話のみ収録

○マクロスF ゼントラ盛り Blu-ray Box
巻数 初動 2週計 累計 発売日
BOX 13,519 14,112 15,664 13.12.25

There's a reason why Frontier is the SEED of the franchise.
>>
>>13913794
When I said all the entries I meant like the main releases and stuff so admittedly I didn't know that Plus and Zero >>13913739 weren't top sellers (though I wasn't counting II)

I did not mean "literally every single release of the series' that has come out ever including boxsets released like 15 years later and compliations"
>>
>>13913452
>Also Gundam has ALWAYS been a toy commercial
Preeeeetty sure the whole reason Gundam even became popular was because Tomino deliberately made decisions that tried to go AGAINST the show being a regular toy commercial. It is well documented his deliberate spite for his bosses by intentionally making it non-child friendly.

If anything most Gundam designs latching on to the old Red/White/Blue/Yellow colour scheme is a remnant of everything wrong with the series, it was a compromise for the higher ups who wanted something toyetic. The fact that the Zaku was the most popular toy and it appealed to the old millitary model otaku's kind of furthers that.

>>13913496
It should be noted Tow Ubukata first and foremost graduated in politics and economics from a world class prestigious University. Anime is basically a (rather large) side job to him, his primary job was always and is still as a mainstream sci fi novelist.

The staff he worked with were also incredibly supportive the director even is well known for trying to make the show less toyetic and he had lots of time in between projects. PP2 was a great example of how even a veteran writer can fuck up if they have no time and poor staff support and not enough control.

There is a simpler reason for this, it is the same problem Hollywood has now, a lack of fresh blood and educated/cultured writers working several jobs at a time.

Most writers in the industry movie or anime are college educated at best and strictly write within the same social circles and rarely expand out writing maybe 2 or 3 series at the same time. When you are constantly exposed to the same things day in/out those same cliche's and expectations slip in and write beyond your own knowledge/education it can just pollute your work.
>>
What the fuck do people see in Osomatsu-san
>>
>>13913953
It's a grown up version of a kid's gag comic that's been popular in Japan since the '60s. It gets a new anime adaptation every 20 or so years. I think part of the sales are because it's selling to regular people rather than just nerds.
>>
>>13913953
Actually funny anime comedy, one of the best in years?
Knowing how, where, and when to hit you with said comedy and the serious/dramatic moments when you least expect it?
Entertaining and endearing but (knowingly) flawed characters in situations that can range from the down-to-earth to the straight-up outlandish?
The shipping (if one is into that)?

No idea.
>>
>>13914182
>Knowing how, where, and when to hit you with said comedy and the serious/dramatic moments when you least expect it?
God knows they had enough practice the staff for it is basically the Gintama lot.

>The shipping (if one is into that)?
You have no idea how big a thing that is....seriously a shitload of Osamatsu-san smut popped up overnight at the last comiket.
>>
>>13913870
>Preeeeetty sure the whole reason Gundam even became popular was because Tomino deliberately made decisions that tried to go AGAINST the show being a regular toy commercial.
Which is why we had MotW fights featuring a new MS everyweek? Which is why the Gundam was originally transformable in its TV run? Yeah...Tomino tried but Gundam was very much a toy commercial even back then.
>>
>>13914220
Here's the thing.
It sort of failed back then.
Granted, part of that was because Clover's toys were bad, but even besides that, what really made the 0079 story big was the movies where he got to dial a lot of that back.

Gunpla helped the show get back on its feet, but it's not like it's been the sole raison d'etre as many like to assert.
>>
>>13914248
>what really made the 0079 story big was the movies where he got to dial a lot of that back.
The movies were only conceived as response to ots popularity gained through re-runs, so yeah people did like those toyetic elements as much as the characters and story.
>>
>>13913870
Tell us more about that Wikipedia article you read.
>>
>>13913137
Unic- Oh, you mean TV shows?
>>
When a show stumbles on or properly engineers itself to fit the zeitgeist of what a larger audience wants

Making something to be popular is hard, there are many popular concepts floating around and even if you hit one doing it right is a whole other mater. A lot of the time it is pure random chance, no one could have predicted minecraft doing so well for example. The same work with something like SAO which was literally a rushed product the guy wrote to through at some competition. The concept is not new and the characters are not inventive or well written, but somehow it just clicks with a huge amount of people

So the answer is yes but it will probably also be awful and attract a lot of fans who think it is the most amazing original work ever
>>
>>13914443
Unicorn is a TV show now so it counts!
>>
>>13913251
/y/aoi pandering: I think the designs were kinda shit in some parts such as style - cartoony esp Mika's eye shape and the manletting, dull colours (or irritating choice of colours.) Character designs look largely generic. Manlets and the older characters appeared to be top heavy. Orga, Chocochar and Gaelio are ok in most frames but most of the male cast have fairly boring personalities with no real development arc. I'm not seeing much chemistry between the characters plotwise - there isn't the sense of danger that 0079, Zeta, 00 and even Unicorn managed to bring out some degree of betrayal and sacrifice. Mika is terribly characterised. You could sense a person behind Setsuna, you can't sense anything behind Mika.

/m/echas: It was a bit disappointing. I'm not a fan of the Gusion and Kimaris etc look uniform completely generic. The sweetest mech is Barbatos - especially in shading - but the mechs are criminally underutilised forming more of a subplot. It's a bit tiring to see the characters all the time with little focus on politics and stratagems that the genre is famous for. I also feel that the designs lack elegance, uniqueness and flare.

Girls: I can't really comment but Kudelia's eyelashes and the whole frame of her face looks a bit off. I'm not really sensing any kind of development. Fumitan's death felt fairly flat, I felt that she was quite a promising character and was more well rounded than Kudelia's. I also feel that Atra would have made a better Kudelia than Kudelia and am not seeing the Mika/Kudelia romance (indeed I feel Orga's temperament is more suited to Kudelia's). They also don't look cute to me.

Budget: 00, Origin and Unicorn look, feel and have a plot substantially better than this show in the landscape, CG, soundtrack. Landscape also looks really dull and is rarely inspiring. And holy shit Atra quality.

Plot: Plays it too safe. It's not hard to see why this doesn't do well. Needs more and better looking mechs.
>>
>>13914170
Mainly fujoshi. Regular people have actually been pretty disgusted by what fujoshi do with it so much a famous managka's fujo wife spoke up on fujo bashing in japan due to it.
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.