[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I just finished OOO. This has to be the most underrated Rider

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5

File: Kamen.Rider.OOO.full.780881.jpg (912KB, 1300x920px) Image search: [Google]
Kamen.Rider.OOO.full.780881.jpg
912KB, 1300x920px
I just finished OOO. This has to be the most underrated Rider series since Blade. Why is this not talked about more?

I will agree with the common thought that the second third of the show is pretty slow and repetitive but the last like 15 episodes are some of the best stuff modern Rider has put out. Especially the the last two episodes. Ankh doing the TAKA KUJAKU CONDOR and his goodbye to Eiji legit made me tear up. Also the supporting cast is GOAT.

I don't know why I didn't watch this when it was airing, but I can say it was a mistake to miss it
>>
>>13883651

It's one of my favorite Rider series too, second only to Agito.

I think it comes down to how much the slow middle dragged down the show for you. I personally love the gimmick and the characters enough that I didn't mind the fact that the villains don't really provide an urgent threat until the purple medals show up.
>>
File: medal sentai ooo-riders.webm (3MB, 426x240px) Image search: [Google]
medal sentai ooo-riders.webm
3MB, 426x240px
Pretty sure Os is widely agreed by most of /m/ to be one of the best modern Riders. There was also a poll in a Japanese magazine about 2-3 years ago where it ended up being the top-rated Rider overall (or of all Heisei at the time) amongst all age groups.

I know for sure it's my favorite Rider.
>>
I love how well it handles the messages and themes about desire. While it may not be the best Rider show out there purely from a writing standpoint, it's probably still my favorite.
>>
>>13884132
I guess it is mostly cause the character are very likeable
>>
>>13883651
>Also the supporting cast is GOAT.
The Birth bros could have been better implemented, it was like the show liked Date so much that they never let Goto grow out of his shadow
>>
>>13885028
Wasn't Date's tenure as Birth extended because he got popular though?
>>
>>13883651
It's a great show, but until the rest of Ankh shows up it tends to drag and it can be a little hard to get through. It's a really good balance of comedy and seriousness though.
>>
I'd say Agito is still probably my favorite but OOO is definitely up there. I think the earthquake fucked the show's production a lot though, since around about episode 15 the show's tone changes quite a bit if I recall and a lot of the darker themes get abandoned because the crew felt it important to have heroic characters around kids in Japan could look up to. It's a shame, because I thought the show was going really strong up to that point and it was still good afterwards but not quite as good.

I think my biggest problem is the pacing of Ankh's arc though. He spends like 40 episodes being a grumpy (if fun) bastard and then in the space of a few episodes he really rapidly changes and it just feels like the change happens too late and too fast. I'd have preferred if it had started earlier and been more smoothly paced out, because as it is it feels almost unearned despite how much the show depends on it. That said, the ending is still very emotive despite it, but I do feel it could have been better.

The show's cast was definitely it's major strength though and I don't think there's a bad character in there, even if I wish Goto had had more time to shine as Birth or that Kougami's female assistant had been given more to do. I also still find it weird that Kougami turned out to be a benevolent guy, because he really feels like he was being set up to be one of, if not the show's major villain. I liked the puppet guy, but Kougami feels like he'd have made a better villain from a writing standpoint given his position as the person with the knowledge and tools of OOO, and I wonder if that got changed at some point.
>>
>>13885150
>I also still find it weird that Kougami turned out to be a benevolent guy, because he really feels like he was being set up to be one of, if not the show's major villain
It feels like Kougami not being a bad guy despite all the villian type motifs around him fed into one of the main themes of OOOs, that strong desire isnt inherently a bad thing
>>
>>13885043
The Cakeboss was pretty subarashii, yes.
>>
Who TATOBA, TATOBA TATOBA, TATOBA here?
>>
File: 55328784_p0_master1200.jpg (171KB, 525x531px) Image search: [Google]
55328784_p0_master1200.jpg
171KB, 525x531px
>>13883878
>>
>>13886542
>Combo Sentai ZyuOOO
>>
>>13886254
HAPPY BASUDAY!!!

>>13886297
Im more of RATA RATA, RATORAATAA here.
>>
>>13883651
Did you watch the director's cut of the final eps?
http://kamenrider.wikia.com/wiki/Kamen_Rider_OOO:_Final_Episode
>>
>>13888579
Yep
>>
>>13888588
okay then WELCOME TO THE CLUB FELLOW 000 FAN
>>
I really liked OOO but I thought it kinda burnt itself out towards the end with the ending itself being kinda weak.
>>
>>13883651

>Most underrated

That's Ryuki, son.
>>
>>13890722
Did you watch the director's cut ending?
>>
>>13890752
In what universe is Ryuki underrated? Everybody knows about Ryuki and how it's one of the most darker Riders and its "everybody gets killed" memetic status. If there was ever a time where it was underrated, which I don't think there was, it certainly wasn't during Gaim and everybody comparing aspects of it to Ryuki

Certainly everybody knows Ouja
>>
I don't see what anybody likes about this show, beyond the designs themselves. It took all the bad elements about Heisei Riders to the next level, and the following shows sadly followed suit. (a thousand forms that are never used, annoying sining belts) It did irreparable damage to the franchise. On top of that it's not a good story and the characters are almost all homo as fuck, I worry that I might have got AIDS from watching this horrifically poofy show.
>>
>>13892935
>a thousand forms that are never used
All of them besides the two big CGI ones (green and purple forms) get used quite a bit, and the medal losing mechanic means unlike the vast majority of toku series it gives a reason why some forms are used more often in certain parts
>>
>>13885150
>>13885169
That said, Kougami should have been more fleshed out, even if he wasnt a villain, we dont really know much about his motivations.
>>
>>13890752
>Ryuki
>underrated
are you high? Its one of the most popular among the western fanbase.
>>
>>13893087
>we dont really know much about his motivations.
It was pretty much just to harness the power of medals for the betterment of mankind, and he does it in the future
>>
>>13892935
>a thousand forms that are never used
Unless you are autistic enough to count non-combos and unplanned movie forms, OOO has a pretty good balance between form usages.
And, as >>13893034 said, it has a good way of explaining why a certain form isnt used. It would have been neat if Ghost did the same thing, given that the eyecons power up multiple characters in it.
>>
>>13883651
I got spoiled early regarding Ankh's death, and I think that somewhat warped my expectations and experiences of the later half. Overall, though, the ending didn't really stick with me in the way the endings some other riders did. I don't know what it was, but none of it really stuck in the same way the ending of Kuuga, Ryuki, Blade, Gaim, or Drive did (I'm probably missing a bunch, too). I think most rider series run into a stretch where they're just kind of spinning their gears and killing time, and the fact that OOO's were towards the end left a less powerful impression overall than series that had it closer to the beginning or middle.You're left with a feeling something MUST start happening soon, and it just kind of doesn't. Then when the finale and summation of character arcs starts to kick in, the whole thing feels rushed.

For the record, I think OOO had one of the strongest opening set of episodes in recent kamen riders. One of the things that also makes me somewhat sad is that nearly all kamen rider series, even some of the very best, take several episodes to really grab the viewer. Opposed to the '3-episode rule' of anime, you really need to give rider series 6 episodes or more to establish themselves (and run out of CG budget, even from Kuuga this was a problem). OOO was the first series I thought 'I can show this to someone from episode 1 and there's a good chance they'll actually be interested.'
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.