[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mecha Horror

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 8

File: BooConfettiBlack.jpg (10KB, 500x492px) Image search: [Google]
BooConfettiBlack.jpg
10KB, 500x492px
so in another thread I mentioned I wish there where more horror mechas like M3 or Betterman or some of the earlier bits in Armageddon but truthfully Im not entirely sure how to make the concept work beyond just the basics. weaker mechs, really vulnerable mcs etc

how'd you all go about it. I liked how the MA-vess of m3 ran on dead people and Betterman really liked to play with it's heroes senses.
>>
>>13882455

Well, Neon Genesis obviously get's pretty deep into your cosmic horror.

Blue Gender is generally disturbing, but there's probably some who don't consider it horror.

Beyond those two and the two you mentioned, can't really think of anything more.
>>
File: Flamboyant space vampires.jpg (75KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Flamboyant space vampires.jpg
75KB, 1280x720px
So you know how Valvrave is kinda silly and dumb?

And then the lead mech pulps a guy because it runs off the souls of specially prepared high school kids more or less?

Yeah.
Space vampires, man.
>>
Haunted robots could be a start.
>>
I haven't seen a lot of the "mecha horror" stuff, off the top of my head I can only think of cheap shit like
>pilot looks at monitor
>where is he!?
>panning shot of empty space
>suddenly in-universe fullscreen robot face jumpscare
>waah!
>>
>>13882502

well I was just thinking about say a haunted mecha that slowly drives the pilot to more and more extremes
>>
>>13882502
"It's a Gundam!"
>>
File: I'm gonna need another shot.png (514KB, 933x517px) Image search: [Google]
I'm gonna need another shot.png
514KB, 933x517px
THE CALLS ARE COMING FROM INSIDE THE MECH
>>
File: I've seen some shit.png (157KB, 400x800px) Image search: [Google]
I've seen some shit.png
157KB, 400x800px
>Pilots see's a human figure on the monitor
>"What the heck is a little girl doing out here on the battlefield?
>Monitor scratches with static for a second and when it comes back the figure is gone
>"Huh, where'd she go?"
>Pilot looks down
SHE'S IN THE COCKPIT, INBETWEEN HIS LEGS, SCREAMING UP AT HIM
>>
Tell the story of a mecha pilots who get stranded in deep space with their machines and they're forced to try to find a way back home while dealing with assorted system failures that endanger their lives.

I think it could work since outer space is pretty scary itself.
>>
>>13882455
Blue Gender was a step in the right direction
>few resources, if your mecha breaks down you're at a severe disadvantage
>surrounded by enemies, behind their lines
>mecha are made of paper
>have to make tough decisions, each one potentially costing lives
>environmental horror, places degrading, foreign alien flora
Basically Aliens with mecha
>>
File: event_horizon_ver1.jpg (62KB, 501x755px) Image search: [Google]
event_horizon_ver1.jpg
62KB, 501x755px
EVENT

HORIZON

BUT WITH MECHS

Where we're going, we won't need monoeyes to see.
>>
Flying Dutchman-esque derelict flagship, probably.
Could be anything from alien microorganism to newtype ghosts.
>>
>>13882554
>SHE'S IN THE COCKPIT, INBETWEEN HIS LEGS, SMILING UP AT HIM
>she begins to unzip his pilot suit
>>
I once came up with an idea about it.

Basically there's this research base on Europa the moon of Jupiter and it sits on the ocean floor. The protagonists are a group of scientists, engineers and their families who work down there. Outside they go out in pressurized mecha-suits to collect samples.

Of course things go wrong when mysterious black monsters start emerging out of the darkness. Think deep-sea horrors. The creatures start to attack the base and kill the protagonists in a series of battles that are a mix of the fight with Khan in Star Trek II and Jaws.

Eventually the monsters attack the base and the humans evacuate, riding a series of lifts up the research station's pillar structure. Things get a bit weirder when smaller human-shaped monsters (like, jellymen and so forth) start squeezing through holes and there's some hand-to-hand battles.

Ultimately the survivors reach the surface and prep the shuttle there for launch. Then the ice cracks and the horrible monsters burst out onto the surface, so the mecha-suits are re-equipped for surface combat and begin a last stand starship-troopers/Muvluv segment until the survivors take off.

But then the monsters take flight!

And so on and so forth. Dunno how far it'd go and the plot would need to become more complex as it went.
>>
>>13882455
The problem is that inherently mechs and horror don't go together. Horror works by making one feel helpless and relies a lot on making the viewer feel like he's in there through atmosphere; a mech is both an expression of power and dehumanizing which hurts the self-inserting.
>>
MUV LUV
>>
>>13882603
I don't know, that has made for some pretty good scenes over the years of the mech getting completely disabled with the monitors completely dead and the pilot having to wait in the dark for the horrible thing outside to crack the cockpit open.
>>
>>13882603
Dude you're thinking of survival horror. There's more to the genre than being the power emasculation experience.
>>
>>13882692

I suppose overwhelming power can be pretty terrifying to when you really break down what the characters want to use it for and how well they can resist the urge to misuse it
>>
File: 1400600484611.png (2MB, 1440x1440px) Image search: [Google]
1400600484611.png
2MB, 1440x1440px
>>13882607
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5JICa_ZxBk
This a thousand times.
>>
Knights of Sidonia had some pretty alright ""horror"" scenes regarding the gauna.
>>
>>13882716
I haven't even watched any muv-luv and that noise is already sorta unnerving.
>>
>>13882607
That's just PTSD the BETAs are pretty goofy otherwise
>>
>>13882603
Ground soldiers vs mecha then
>>
>>13882707
I mean more that the power thing isn't necessarily part of every branch of horror.

Like, gothic is very emotional, focusing on the macabre and taboos with the stylings of Romanticism. And then there's cosmic which creates discomfort through the sensation that every question answered just raises even more questions as one begins to realize their insignificance in the world along with their rational outlook becoming more and more flawed relative to the horrifying eldritch truth. And psychological, which deals with paranoia and fear not in the overt and physical sense, but within the mind, where seemingly normal stuff can in fact be dangerous monstrosities when the spotlight is taken away from them.

There's a lot of ways to evoke horror.
>>
>>13882583
>>
>>13882884
Igloo kinda did that
>>
>>13882502
>waah
i should be scared but i thought of waluigi and started laughing.
>>
If mechatronics are /m/ then five nights at freddy's should be a good jumpscare /m/ horror
>>
>>13883047

Oh, that was a surprisingly good game.
>>
>>13883047
>>13883298
Holy shit dude.
That is one of my favorite games of all time. I remember getting gangraped by those Gennies in the elevator shafts, plus the contagion. When I was a kid I never figured out how to level people up because I never had the manual. I actually played through it again last year with Dosbox. Such a good game.
>>
File: bird.jpg (60KB, 288x454px) Image search: [Google]
bird.jpg
60KB, 288x454px
>>13883144
>If mechatronics are /m/ then five nights at freddy's should be a good jumpscare /m/ horror

A: Fuck you

and

B: Fuck you
>>
>>13882455
>no mentions of the Getter manga
Shameful /m/
>>
>>13885157
Only Go and Shin go heavy on the unspeakable cosmic horror stuff, the rest of Ishikawa's output is a better candidate.
>>
>>13885157
>You're doing great /m/
ftfy
>>
>>13885251
Hola hermano, ¿qué pasa?
>>
>>13885274
>le spic xDDD
Pls get out getterfag, the thread is still civil
>>
>>13882499
Eva 01 is sort of haunted with Shinji's mom's soul. But that would be an interesting, albeit silly premise. Could be pretty tight if the concept was developed more.
>>
>>13885382
So you're a dago then. Apologies for the misidentification.
>>
>>13885506
Keep shitposting bro, it only reinforces how bad you guys are.
>>
>>13885517
Might want to check up on that pizza you've got in the oven, Carlo.
>>
>>13885546
Keep at it bro, just make sure you remember it was you who started shitting this thread.
>>
>>13885556
Good job fratello, now the pizza's burnt. Your mother is rolling in her grave now, with you wasting your time shitposting instead of focusing on food
>>
>>13882538
You could make a great horror movie about a Zeek terrified over idea of encountering the White Devil at some point and how he feels before heading into battle that this may be the one where it happens.
>>
>>13883047
>>13883298
>>13883761
How is the Genesis port? Was thinking about checking it out some day.
>>
The idea of getting stuck in a cockpit in space, with all your shit broken and no means of escape, left to die floating through space has always been kinda spoopy.
>>
>>13885157
>>13885251
>>13885274
>>13885382
>>13885506
>>13885517
>>13885546
>>13885556
>>13885588
All me
>>
>one anon mentions getter
>inmediately the thread is filled with shitposting
This is why nobody likes getterfags
>>
>>13885687
Post the supposed rigged pole so I can see their butthurt again please
>>
>>13885713
Here
http://strawpoll.me/6171507/r
Unless you wanted the thread, but that one was deleted
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.