[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does /m/ hate this?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 151
Thread images: 23

File: PaltaII1.jpg (237KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
PaltaII1.jpg
237KB, 1920x1080px
Why does /m/ hate this?
>>
>>13873418

Not muh TV series even though it's objectively better than the TV series
>>
File: 1454643823366.png (234KB, 500x400px) Image search: [Google]
1454643823366.png
234KB, 500x400px
>>13873428
>>
File: 8zvmZ0D.png (448KB, 1280x696px) Image search: [Google]
8zvmZ0D.png
448KB, 1280x696px
>>
>>13873418
We don't. It's a good film, but it's quite different to the rest of Patlabor and especially what came before.
>>
>>13873418
Hi, I'm /m/ the collective mind.
>>
>>13873418

Are you joking? I fucking love it. The animation, the music, the entire mood of the film, it's all brilliant.

That bit in the middle of the JGSDF taking up post throughout Tokyo is probably my most favorite bit of any film, let alone animation.

I won't say it's the best Patlabor, because you can't really compare it to the other entries in the franchise. It is its own beast.
>>
File: tip.jpg (42KB, 479x720px) Image search: [Google]
tip.jpg
42KB, 479x720px
>>13873428
>>
>>13873418
No one hates it, it's just that the first movie is even better.
>>
>>13873559

You're schizophrenic. Please make up your mind on whether Zeta is shit or euphoric.
>>
>>13873559
/m/ might be a hive mind, but I am it's Overlord, and I say Patlabor 2 is an animated movie.
>>
>>13873745
Zeta is definitively shit.
- signed /m/
>>
>>13873977
Zeta isn't shit, I didn't sign that, fuck off with this hive mind bullshit.
>>
The soundtrack is sooooo fucking good

https://youtu.be/FEK6l02Rl5U
>>
>>13873418
You either like Oshii wank or you don't.
>>
>>13873428
This. the TV series were too goofy and lighthearted. Patlabor is supposed to be much more serious and contained and down to earth than that, which is why the movies are hailed as being very good.
>>
>>13873418
Lolwut?
Patlabor 2 is ill, fàm.
>>
>>13873418

A small number of people dislike it because of its serious tone and apparent heavy handedness.
>>
>>13874163
>Patlabor is supposed to be much more serious and contained and down to earth
Says who?
>>
>>13874163
>Patlabor is supposed to be much more serious
Which is why significantly more Patlabor is goofy and lighthearted?
>>
>>13873428
Ignoring the part about your opinion being objective this is actually true.
>>
File: Patlabor-The-Movie-dvd.jpg (52KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
Patlabor-The-Movie-dvd.jpg
52KB, 500x500px
>>13873418
shit pacing, oshii's brand of condescending philobabbling, etc.

generally only people who are easily impressed like patlabor 2, who goes "OMG, this anime feels like a actual political thriller movie that the adults would watch!". but beyond that it was a really painfully mediocre film... It wasn't a good patlabor movie, it wasn't a good anime movie, fuck, it simply wasn't a good movie period...

the first movie was infinitely superior
>>
>>13874163
which is why there are 2 ovas and 50 episode series that are almost entirely light hearted. Even the first movie kept the humour
But no patlabor is supposed to be like that one single movie that was made at the end of patlabor run
>>
>>13874898
That one with the bio monster?
>>
File: 1390477458285.jpg (225KB, 1920x1036px) Image search: [Google]
1390477458285.jpg
225KB, 1920x1036px
>>13874890
>oshii's brand of condescending philobabbling
Do you at least like Corgis?
>>
File: SV2_Weeding_is_srs_bsns.webm (3MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
SV2_Weeding_is_srs_bsns.webm
3MB, 640x360px
Why does /m/ hate this?
>>
>>13874890
I liked the first movie the most.

BUT you can't deny that the second one has fantastic art. They don't have those budgets and passion anymore.

Now just imagine an all CGI Patlabor reboot. With idols.
>>
>>13873572
Yeah, same here. Even though it was more somber than the TV series I really enjoyed it in its own right.
>>
>>13874969
Do you even know what the fuck a corgi is, or did you just figure it was just a synonym for "memedog"?
>>
>>13873418
I liked both movies.

3rd Movie was meh.It was lke 1st movie done in style of 2nd movie
>>
>>13874976
Why is she so fucking thin? She looks like her body would shatter like glass if she was punched.
>>
>>13874969

that is a basset hound you moron
>>
>>13873418
Mmm what is it?
>>
>>13873418
Turned into a space fart by a lightsaber.
>>
File: patlabor2wyvern.webm (3MB, 1280x688px) Image search: [Google]
patlabor2wyvern.webm
3MB, 1280x688px
>>13874890
"no"
>>
>>13874976
>Why does /m/ hate this?
Not /m/
>>
>>13873428
No no, it's NOT MUH EARLY DAYS OVA. And a bit of NOT MUH NOA, but those people are super retards.
>>
>>13876718

I will make sure to remember that for next time. Thanks anon
>>
>>13873418
It's brillant. Second favorite anime movie.
>>
>>13875507
Not everyone is an Americlap.
>>
>>13875403
I don't think anyone likes the third, but the OP is as usual asserting a hivemind opinion that doesn't even exist. It's not even generally disliked, much less universally hated. But people are responding as if it's serious all the same.
>>
>>13874163
WXIII is shit, though.
>>
>>13876909

Yes, and?
>>
>>13874163
You've clearly never seen any Patlabor. You should watch some if you've got time to spare for a show, it's really good.

As for >>13873418, I don't like the second movie because it just feels like the original OVA's finale remade with emphasis on being a "mature" political thriller featuring the true stars as mere cameos. The first movie had plenty of Patlabor things while also having a serious high stakes situation that challenges the rag-tag goofball SV2 like never before and forces them to get real. The second one on the other hand is like an adopted child, it shares its parents' name but physically isn't theirs.
>>
>>13874163
10/10, intelligently composed and requires actually pausing for a second to recognize the ruse.
>>
File: interstellar2.jpg (270KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
interstellar2.jpg
270KB, 1920x1080px
>>13876191
you're exactly the kind of person i was referring. patlabor 2 had pretty good cinematography. but cinematography alone doesn't make a film. you probably thought Interstellar was great, too...
>>
File: gtyhhhh.jpg (26KB, 284x400px) Image search: [Google]
gtyhhhh.jpg
26KB, 284x400px
>>13876909
Who wrote this shit?
>>
>>13877290
>cinematography alone doesn't make a film
It doesn't, but cinematography with great visual direction does. Interstellar is just pretty images and nothing more, but Patlabor 2 has masterful visual direction with lots of symbolic imagery and atmosphere.
>>
>>13875100
You're a meme dog.
>>
>>13877325
>symbolic
They say 'tis conscience feels compunction;
I hold that that's the stomach's function,
For of the sinner I have noted
That when he's sinned he's somewhat bloated,
Or ill some other ghastly fashion
Within that bowel of compassion.
True, I believe the only sinner
Is he that eats a shabby dinner.
You know how Adam with good reason,
For eating apples out of season,
Was "cursed." But that is all symbolic:
The truth is, Adam had the colic.
>>
File: 1453480073647.jpg (162KB, 959x721px) Image search: [Google]
1453480073647.jpg
162KB, 959x721px
>>13877325
>>
>>13874976
Source anon?
>>
>>13877511
Live action Patlabor mini-series.
>>
>>13874890
>it wasn't a good anime movie,
It was a pretty good anime movie when it wanted to be.
>>
>>13877520
What? They couldn't make it look like one of the characters?

(But seriously, it's great that they did this. Every Patlabor iteration needs its kaiju episode)
>>
>>13874976

Live action people trying to act like cartoon characters. It doesn't really work. You have to be a top tier comedic actor to pull that off.

In animation, the physical is handled by animators, and the voice actors are good. So it can work. Live action, can't.
>>
>>13876778
>It's brillant. Second favorite anime movie.

what's your first?
>>
>>13877325
>Interstellar is just pretty images and nothing more.

If you can't see how Patlabor 2 is pretty much the same shit... Well, like I said, you're one of those folks who are simply easily impressed by the facade of shit having more substances than it really does.
>>
>>13878530
Then they must be thankful that Shigeru Chiba's back.
>>
>>13878539
>If you can't see how Patlabor 2 is pretty much the same shit
please, explain.
>>
>>13873418
>test data goes right the fuck across almost the entirety of the pilot's FOV
>Okie-dokie, lemme just walk over here and WHOOPS KICKED A TRUCK
>>
>>13878539
How is it the same shit? Just look at the scene with Goto talking to the ugly guy. Their philosophical discussion is accompanied by shots of industrial buildings and construction, and the last shot in that scene is a shot of a white dove flying over the surface of the water with a dark shadow beneath it, fleshing out the themes of unjust peace vs just war.

The Unnatural City scenes also show how the citizens take their peace for granted, with them doing things like taking pictures with tanks. All of these images have meaning to them, it's not just how nice it looks.

Now compare that to Interstellar which is basically just "WOW SPACE"

You should watch more arthouse films, maybe then you'd understand visual direction better.
>>
File: catberet.jpg (40KB, 300x400px) Image search: [Google]
catberet.jpg
40KB, 300x400px
>>13878853
>Just look at the scene with Goto talking to the ugly guy. Their philosophical discussion is accompanied by shots of industrial buildings and construction, and the last shot in that scene is a shot of a white dove flying over the surface of the water with a dark shadow beneath it, fleshing out the themes of unjust peace vs just war.

which came off EXTREMELY amateurish. i honestly do enjoy exploring philosophical ideas in films. but not when it's literally done by characters narrate it all out to you word by word against some pretty backdrop. it ended up preachy, tacky, with a dash of condescend.

a masterful director would've done it subtly, a competent director would've done it naturally, a shitty self-congratulatory pretentious snobbish director would have done it exactly like how it was done in PII.
>>
>>13878966
>which came off EXTREMELY amateurish
How?
>characters narrate it all out to you word by word against some pretty backdrop
Like I said earlier, they aren't just pretty backdrops, but images which built upon the themes. Also, a lot of art films have characters discuss things with a stationary or slow moving camera.

>preachy
Oshii isn't preaching, but rather discussing. Which is why even the ugly guy is implied to be unsure about which side he stands by. He shows both sides of the coin.

>a masterful director would've done it subtly
He did do it subtly, which was why the imagery flew over your head.
>>
File: 002466_24.jpg (8KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
002466_24.jpg
8KB, 320x240px
>>13878988
>He did do it subtly, which was why the imagery flew over your head.

he could've done with imagery and/or mundane conversations and interactions alone (if he can manage to do that while unfuck the pacing which would've still be a problem), but nope, what he ended up doing was akin to having a horse running across the horizon, with a narration calling out that it was indeed a horse running across the horizon, with a opened zoology book showing a picture of a horse on the next scene just in case the audience couldn't figure out that was really a horse running across the horizon.

oshii was in a downward spiral beginning from PII, all of his subsequent works featured the exact bullshit (shit pacing, philobabbling, etc). it's only recently that he's beginning to show the sign of snapping out of it.
>>
>>13879010
I think you are exaggerating how far he goes in discussing the themes. The only time he does it is in the conversation with the ugly man, which lasts only about 2-3 minutes. The rest of the theme building comes from situational conversations and visuals, like the second Unnatural City scene. There was no dialogue in that scene whatsoever.

Even during the 2-3 minute discussion, it isn't really telling the audience in such detail like your horse analogy. It merely makes you think of the moral dilemma on hand. How can it be over-explained when what they are discussing is a question? It is not telling that a horse is running in the horizon, but asking WHY a horse is running in the horizon.

>shit pacing
A particular film has a character walking back and forth with a candle for SEVEN minutes and is seen as one of the greatest scenes in film history. Pacing is barely a criticism in such films.
>>
>>13879037

I don't think you understand what constitute good or bad pacing. The scenery wanking in Patlabor 2 should've stopped when the point was gotten across, but instead went on and on and then comes back again later. Almost as if they just happened to have drawn all these frames and wanted to squeeze it all in just so they're not wasted. The said scene you mentioned had we experience the slow change state of the mind of the character in the scene. In other words there were actual stuffs progressing as the scene went along. And with it, so did the audience's emotion. It did not just convey a static idea over and over and over again, like the wankery presented in most of Oshii's works.

Don't ever compare Oshii's self indulging crap with actual masterpieces again.
>>
>>13879091
The two "scenery wanking" aren't the same at all, one shows Japan's economy prospering from outside war, another shows the detachment of the Japanese people from the war. Both build toward the same themes, but are of different context. It isn't wanking if they are different contexts. A lot of have one central theme, so are different scenes on the same theme but different contexts wanking?

Also that particular scene was the director trying to "display an entire human life in one shot, without any editing, from beginning to end, from birth to the very moment of death."
>>
>>13879114

>Also that particular scene was the director trying to "display an entire human life in one shot, without any editing, from beginning to end, from birth to the very moment of death."

Exactly, thus it wasn't static.

>so are different scenes on the same theme but different contexts wanking?

Yes, when they ended up fucking up the pacing of the entire film. If you want put in scenery expressing static ideas, that's completely fine. Hell, if you want to put another one later on expressing the same idea but in different style, that's fine too. But they absolutely need to be kept in check and short. Once a point is significantly across, it needs to be done. When the scenes felt long and dragging means you've fucked up. Never mind the fact we already had onscreen characters talking about the ideas expressed in the scenes, and we really don't need anymore revisits that served little beyond time filler and artistry wankery.
>>
>>13873418
Either Oshii makes very zany comedy where characters are aware of the medium they are in or just lol-long 2deep4u shots with no dialogs.

And that 1995 Ghost in the Shell movie pretty sealed his fame as a lol-long 2deep4u shot with no dialogs director, and also end up making GITS a franchise o 2deep4u dipshits who don't know anything about the manga.

Pat2 is a great movie but one has to see OVA and Movie 1 beforehand otherwise it's piece of shit without any context . At the end it feels like farewell movie with SV2 reuniting for one last mission.This makes the melancholic tone more distinguishable
>>
>>13875507
Considering how her ex-spetsnaz father trained her in like ALL the martial arts, I'd like to see you try.
>>
>>13877298
Considering how it's based off one of the manga stories? Headgear did.
>>
Has anyone subbed the live action movie yet?
>>
>>13879167
meaning the actress was glaringly miscasted. which i think was the point the poster you're responding to tried to make.
>>
>>13879161
>Exactly, thus it wasn't static
I actually submitted the post without finish typing, but my point was that the scene was a metaphor. It wasn't really a change in state of mind or whatever, although his actions can be interpreted as such. Tarkovsky made the film based on how he felt on being exiled from Russia. The candle scene was like him having to move forward, the hard path, when he wanted to return back to home, which was each time he came back. On a broader scale, it is about what he said, life itself, and to move forward.
This theme of nostalgia was echoed throughout the whole film and the one of the letters a soldier was reading literally said he longed for his home. Just like Oshii, his characters literally say the themes and there are metaphors.

>When the scenes felt long and dragging means you've fucked up
Now this is extremely subjective, I for one never felt bored throughout the whole film. Also, films don't need to be entertaining to be good. Maybe blockbusters do, but not stuff like this.

>we really don't need anymore revisits
An idea is not so simple, it has multiple angles to it, revisiting it with different angles isn't bad at all.

Just to ask, what do you think is the most important aspect of filmmaking? Because it seems to me you place entertainment highly.
>>
>>13879199

>It wasn't really a change in state of mind or whatever

If you don't think there are any changes in state of mind as one experience life from birth to death then I don't know what to say....

>Also, films don't need to be entertaining to be good

Whatever grand ideas or discussions a film is set off to convey. It needs to keep the audience engaged, and one of the best ways is through entertainment. But I'm perfectly okay with a film achieve that through other means. Regardless, Patlabor 2 simply failed in keeping that engagement ongoing. Through out the whole film it was a constant on and off. While the ideas did pass onto the audiences, they ended up passing off as very heavy handed. Instead of letting me naturally soaking in the message, it felt like it's all just somebody saying the same shit over and over in a very monotone voice. By the end of the movie, I simply couldn't give any more shit about what supposed to be a pretty serious and deep statement about the modern Japanese pacifistic society.
>>
File: 1327811796734.jpg (103KB, 800x666px) Image search: [Google]
1327811796734.jpg
103KB, 800x666px
>>13879270
>If you don't think there are any changes in state of mind as one experience life from birth to death then I don't know what to say....
I worded it wrongly, it's true that change in state of mind is inevitable, but my point was that he was to create a metaphor, to show this was what he and most people experienced, struggle, longing for home, etc.

Anyway, Patlabor 2 failing to engage you is just subjective, as it managed to hook me from start to finish. Maybe Oshii's style just isn't for you.
>>
>>13877334
YOU'RE THE MEME NOW DAWG.
>>
>>13879176
>half-russian martial artist trained by ex-spetsnaz cast as half-russian supercop

>miscast

okay retard
>>
>>13877290
Cinematography alone doesn't make a film, but if it's good enough it can be a selling point all on its own. Both Interstellar and Patlabor 2 benefit from staggeringly beautiful scenes, Patlabor 2 follows up with political intrigue and mild social critique, Interstellar doesn't. In the end I'd recommend both of them even though I think Interstellar's failings are quite obvious.
>>
>>13880310
Oddest sense of déjà vu from your post
>>
So I just watched Jin-Roh and surprise surprise, there's an Oshii thread up. I know Jin-Roh wasn't directed by the guy, but it was written by him and bears his indelible stamp, especially since so much of the Kerberos universe comes straight from Oshii.

I really enjoyed the movie, and I was expecting to be at least mildly disappointed. It reinforces my opinion that Oshii is no cinema maestro, but rather is the raw creative force that, tempered by his collaborators, is the reason excellent films like the Patlabor movies and GITS 1 get made. I don't think he's any kind of genius, but he has a very specific vision in mind that he needs help to bring to life in a way that will appeal to most people.

Ultimately you can be artistic without having to incorporate timeless messages that strike at the heart of the human condition. I don't think Oshii's films are terribly deep, but I do think they are works of art with something to say.
>>
>Oshii

Before anyone discusses him further I would like to request that you check out 東京無国籍少女. Don't worry that there aren't any subs because there's barely any dialogue that matters anyway (there's plenty of pretentious nonsense dialogue)
>>
>>13880405
Is it better than his other live-action stuff, or are you just mentioning it to demonstrate he can make cheesy schlock as well?
>>
>>13880434
It was advertised as having a twist ending greater than The Sixth Sense's that nobody will ever see coming.

It's a two hour long art film with people in a school standing still for for an hour and 50 minutes talking about inconsequential garbage.

In the last ten minutes suddenly Russian terrorists attack and the protagonist kills them with an AK-47 and bayonet then shoots down a helicopter
>>
>>13880453
I just watched the trailer, which contains about two minutes of people standing still in an art school and one minute of grisly over the top action and that sounds like it could be completely terrible or completely amazing.
>>
>>13873418
It's a jarringly drastic change compared to the rest of the franchise and severely overrated. Still great, though.
>>
>>13879168
Kind of. The manga version actually featured Noa and Asuma as protagonists, rather than cameos.
>>
>>13878530
But the live-action show's humour and writing is far more 'anime' than OVA1 or TV/OVA2 ever were.
>>
File: patlaborova1[1].png (495KB, 650x488px) Image search: [Google]
patlaborova1[1].png
495KB, 650x488px
>>13880639
I don't have the show to hand, and I haven't seen very much of The Next Generation, but.... on what grounds do you say that exactly?
>>
>>13880740
The first episode has been translated along with the 10-ish minute teaser thing, go watch them. The humour is a lot more slapstick, the characters are significantly exaggerated and the whole thing feels a touch lower brow, not that Patlabor was ever trying to be sophisticated.
>>
File: p2n.jpg (376KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
p2n.jpg
376KB, 1920x1080px
>>13873418
Reminder
>>
Noa is ridiculously cute
>>
>>13881158
It's almost impossible. Plus she's not a moeblob but an actual character.
>>
It's a bait and switch.
The fucker Oshii first created a fanbase by writing an anime with an endearing cast, great mecha designs and animation, lighthearted and funny jokes and the best atmosphere out of any 80's comedy Anime japan has ever done.
Then he decided to use that well established series as his vehicle for snorefest useless philosophy that gets nowhere.

Why wouldn't I be mad?
It's like if you took Mazinger and made it into a Malick movie only because you needed the name for recognition.
>>
>>13881211
Patlabor 2 is rooted directly in OVA 5 and 6. I'm sick of hearing this 'not muh Patlabor' stuff.
>>
>>13881211
That's the thing. The movie gains nothing from using the Patlabor IP and would work just as well without it, if not better. What little we saw of the OG cast was interesting but it was shoved off to the side and would've been much better served by being the focus of a movie.
>>13881221
Rooted in? It's more like a remake of, but minus what made it work alongside the silliness of OVA1 the first time.
>>
>>13879513
kek
>>
>>13881228
>The movie gains nothing from using the Patlabor IP and would work just as well without it, if not better.

It gains Goto, Shinobu, and Matsui, memorable characters who work well within the context of the movie. Political intrigue and bureaucratic cynicism are far from unknown in Patlabor: there's an entire scene in Patlabor 1 where Goto is unable to get explicit approval from his superior for the operation but receives a tacit go-ahead, with the understanding that he will receive no support if the operation fails.

I've heard people say that Patlabor 2 should have been a Kerberos saga movie instead: what exactly would this achieve besides setting the film in a miserable alternate universe, as opposed to a relatively grounded future Japan? This would make it harder for viewers to relate and ruin the movie's only message.

> minus what made it work alongside the silliness of OVA1 the first time.
Like what? A noodle stand scene?
>>
>>13879163
the manga was shit
one of the few instances of the adaptations being superior to the source.
>>
File: SV2_Maintenance_is_srs_bsns.webm (2MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
SV2_Maintenance_is_srs_bsns.webm
2MB, 640x360px
>>13880964
Let me help you..
>>
File: Tekken_Akira.webm (2MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
Tekken_Akira.webm
2MB, 640x360px
>>13882817
>>
File: dubs.webm (1MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
dubs.webm
1MB, 640x360px
>>13882822
>>
>>13880964
Oshii only directed the last episode and movie, while the rest were by new directors under his supervision.

Watch the last episode and movie.
>>
>>13882817
Now this I don't mind. It's humor that you couldn't really do in 2D and fits with the idea of maintenance being a bizarre and incomprehensible entity.
>>13882822
>>13882824
This on the other hand just makes Akira look like a cunt. It would make Noa look like one too, but at least the medium would round off the edges a little bit.
>>
>>13882845
I'm pretty sure if you were watching it with sound and in-context it wouldn't look as much like random acts of aggression.
>>
>>13881251
Oh, and I forgot to mention: The whole theme of an 'unjust peace' would be utterly irrelevant in a Kerberos saga Tokyo, where gun battles in the street happen on a routine basis.
>>
>>13881251
>>13884017
Yeah, you're exactly right. I really liked Jin-Roh, but I think the more optimistic setting of Patlabor worked better for the themes Patlabor 2 tried to convey, despite its comparatively somber tone. You had to feel a bit of sympathy for the antagonist, despite all the trouble he caused, because he was trying to give the complacent citizens of Tokyo a taste of what he experienced during wartime. That wouldn't make as much sense in the Tokyo of Jin-Roh, where the common people are exposed to as much violence as any soldier is due to the constant unrest, underground terrorism, etc. Japan is afflicted with in that setting.
>>
>>13884012
I'm not sure how 'pilot goes around punching random people because she lost at a fighting game' can be that much better in context. And more importantly, I'm trying to say that this just isn't the sort of humour that any other entry would indulge in.
>>
>>13884122
It looks like typical slapstick to me.
>>
>>13884122
go back to sperging about Kamina, shrimpy
>>
>>13884149
Who?
>>
Fucking spazz-bos trying to discuss Patlabor 2 with an attitude of "WAHHHHH! A character talks about something for two minutes and it's all drooling psycho-babble and forced imagery I want robot smashy-smashy wahhhh! PACING!"

Brothers and sisters: They make medication for that kind of thing.

PII is one of those rare works about post-war Japan that had the guts to actually say "hey, we're a bunch of lap dogs with agendas that lead us to delude ourselves on a daily basis, and it's all a house of cards."

But, you know, "oh it's not like I'm mainlining sugar for two hours so it fucking sucks! Oshii's a twat!"

Enjoy Valvrave!
>>
>>13886828
>I've never actually watched Patlabor, but let me make some fucktarded assumptions about what it's like so I can make an ass of myself!
>>
>>13886840
>responding to someone who is seriously using quotation marks here
>>
>>13876191
kill wyvern
>>
>>13877298
your mom
>>
>>13881013
did dey fug?
>>
>>13886828
It isn't an /m/ post without some reference to a recently-airing anime of low regard.

>>13886865
You can fuck right off too.
>implying people need to break up their sentences just to use the quote function when there are perfectly usable quotation marks right there on your keyboard
>>
>>13886901
>implying people need to break up their sentences just to use the quote function when there are perfectly usable quotation marks right there on your keyboard
They do if they want to post here and not be reported for being underage. You either do it the right way or not at all.
>>
>>13886828

>PII is one of those rare works about post-war Japan that had the guts to actually say "hey, we're a bunch of lap dogs with agendas that lead us to delude ourselves on a daily basis, and it's all a house of cards."

Guilt, shame and self-loathing have been the bread & butter of "serious" fiction since the start of Modernism, actually.
>>
>>13886828
>>13886901
>DURF HURF U JUST DUN LIKE IT CUZ ADHD
Yeah it's not like is based on a series that is 90% talking and has entire episodes with no action.
>>
>>13886900
She and Alphonse did.
>>
>>13873418
You are wrong, velimies. Patlabor movies are what people think first when Patlabor is mentioned. They are also the first things people think of when Oshii movies are mentioned.
>>
>>13886972
>They are also the first things people think of when Oshii movies are mentioned

I'm eighty-seven percent sure that that's incorrect.
>>
>>13873572
/thread
>>
>>13873572
>That bit in the middle of the JGSDF taking up post throughout Tokyo is probably my most favorite bit of any film

That is some disturbingly uncultured and terrible taste. I know this is /m/ and all, but Jesus, watching something besides cartoons every once in a while is generally a good idea.
>>
>>13886900
It seems inevitable.
>>
>>13886840
That's what a lot of Patlabor 2 fans feel like to me? I'm not going to claim that this is always or usually the case, but I've seen a lot of people that blatantly haven't seen anything but the second movie sing its praises the loudest.
>>
>>13887511
So which bits of which films would you say are better? Genuinely not trolling, I'm a different guy and I'm curious as to what you'd consider to be better taste.
>>
Patlabor 2 is Oshii's best movie.
Prove me wrong.
>>
>>13887991
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uV16NTME52w
>>
>>13887755
>Question mark in place of period
Forgive me, it was a touch keyboard.
>>
>>13887996
>japanese live action
wwwwwwww
>>
>>13887991
Tenshi no Tamago
>>
>>13886972
>They are also the first things people think of when Oshii movies are mentioned.

I'm pretty sure a certain movie about a certain female android in the police force comes first.
>>
>>13888485
>Major
>An android
>Section 9
>Police force
>>
>>13887991
Patlabor 1 and GITS exist

>>13888483
pleb
>>
>>13887991
Jin-Roh or GITS.
>>
>>13874969
I haven't laughed so hard at something in weeks. What the fuck
>>
>>13873428
low tier bait
>>
Oshii wank.
>>
>>13874976
Why no subs?
>>
>>13889484
>Jin-Roh

Wrote the screenplay for, didn't direct. He was forbidden to direct since the last two films were such utterly weird cluster fucks. Script was likely scritctly controlled too.
>>
>>13889173
>pleb
pleb
>>
>>13890693
>He was forbidden to direct
>forbidden to direct an entry in the franchise he created
I swear /m/ gets dumber every day. Oshii was working on other things at the time of Jin-Roh, he left it in more than competent hands.
>>
File: 51NKJ5CJXWL._SS500_.jpg (45KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
51NKJ5CJXWL._SS500_.jpg
45KB, 500x500px
>>13873428
>>
It's just too deep for the average IQ of the bottom feeders that post here.

2deep4u
>>
>>13873418
>Why does /m/ hate this?
How on Earth can /m/ hate this?
>>
File: mein friend.jpg (96KB, 870x727px) Image search: [Google]
mein friend.jpg
96KB, 870x727px
>>13893935
>>
>>13874976
>not-Kanuka™
>gun kata with a magless AK with bayo on
>blinks in the final shot
>single dog tag (unless it's not hers)
Thread posts: 151
Thread images: 23

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.