[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Getting into Gundam

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5

File: votoms_gif.gif (1022KB, 500x366px) Image search: [Google]
votoms_gif.gif
1022KB, 500x366px
Hello /m/, newfag here. Since I have enjoyed most mecha I've seen, I figure it was high time to get into the genre's most famous franchise: Gundam. Looking for more and better mecha brought me here; if anyone knows the stuff its you guys. I'm including a short list of what mecha I've seen in the order I've seen them (as well as some vaguely related other), hopefully that will help you make recommendation as to what would get me into the series.

Infinite Stratos (doesn't count)

Str.A.In

Stratos 4 (not sure if mecha?)

Area 88 (not mecha, not average /a/ material either)

Divirgence Eve (Dear God it was Eiken with horrible CGI. I still cringe at the memory)

Neon Genesis Evangelion (inb4 2deep4u)

Vandread (apparently I didn't learn from Divergence Eve)

Blue Gender

Code Geass (finally some quality /m/)

Aldnoah.Zero (And back to shit-tier)

Last Exile (not exactly /m/, stopped at e14)

Knights of Sidonia

Jin-Roh (love me some nazibot aesthetic)

Full Metal Panic!

Tenga Toppa Gurren Lagann

Expelled from Paradise

Innocent Venus (Divergence Eve without the fanservice - a shit sandwich without the bread. stopped at e3)

Girls und Panzer (not /m/ either, enjoyable nonetheless)

Armored Trooper VOTOMS (aww shit nigger, it dosent get any better than this. pic related)

Valvrave the Liberator (not bad, not great though, Enjoyed it anyways, inb4 Valvrager, this was the mecha that brought me to this board)

M. D. Geist (DANGEROUS. MOST DANGEROUS)

And that's the gist of it. I'll hang around the thread a bit before turning in for the night, then I'll make a decision based on the results. Thanks beforehand!
>>
>comparing Vandred to Divergence Eve
Yeah, no, eat a dick.
>>
>>13873311
No brainer, start with the first TV series 0079.

The movies cut a lot of stuff, and is really more recommended for rewatching.
>>
>>13873311
>Getting into Gundam
>Not Getting into Getter
Tips*
>>
>>13873311
Start with the beginning. It doesn't matter either way because the original series will be the only one you'll end up watching. Everything after is either bloody boring or bloody awful.
>>
>>13873311

I want to thank you for this thread OP, since I'm certain it will create plenty of butthurt from people who like bad series. Hell, it already has with >>13873319
>>
>>13873368
Yeah, no, eat a dick.
>>
File: 1.jpg (2MB, 2400x3000px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
2MB, 2400x3000px
>GuP
>not /m/

Well, you did say you were a newfag.

Have a chart. I think it's missing a few entries.

In my opinion, don't read the commentary.
>>
>>13873319
While Vandread had better characters and plot, it still boiled down to loads of fanservice and CGI that didn't age well.

Enjoyable while watching, cringe in hindsight
>>
>wanting to get into a terribly written mess of a series
Don't do it if you already watched Votoms. You'll just end up hating it.
>>
>>13873370
>I have no argument to defend my garbage series
No reason to be so upset, Vandreadfag
>>
>>13873389
This. Most of the series you listed are pretty good and watching Gundam will just seem like a huge step down in quality. Just watch Gundam AMVs on youtube and buy model kits if you want the full experience.
>>
>>13873375
Thank you kindly. I'll keep the chart onhand.
So, do I just watch in the order listed?
>>
>>13873399
>no Imagawa series on your list
Giant Robo
Shin Mazinger
Tetsujin 28th 2004
G Gundam

There you go, you're all set. Don't bother with the other Gundams. Some of them are literal torture.
>>
Use this OP
>>
>>13873389
>don't do it if you already watched Votoms

Well, in case this thread went south in a hurry, I already had Patlabor and Dougram in mind. Any other good VOTOM-like substitutes?

>terribly written mess of a series

But until I watch something, I've got no idea what the fuck a quarter of this board's about
>>
>>13873399
For series that take place in the Universal Century timeline, yes.
The others are mostly stand alone. Turn A and G-Reco make passing references to UC. Build Fighters heavily references previous shows.

There's also a more current version of this chart somewhere.
>>
>>13873423
>a quarter
You mean 90-100 percent. Gundam is the only /m/ series that truly matters here.
>>
>>13873423
Both are better. Dougram is directed by Takahashi, same guy who did Votoms. He also did Layzner, Panzer World Galient, FLAG and Gasaraki.

>I've got no idea what the fuck a quarter of this board's about
Don't get involved.Just continue watching shows you feel you'll like. Don't watch Gundam because /m/ likes to talk about it. Don't do the same mistakes as I did.

Most of the time people are talking about how much Gundam sucks. You don't want to be those guys.
>>
>>13873423
Watch these >>13873414
>>
When I came on /m/, I only watched non-Gundam shows for about 2 years. When I decided to tackle Gundam, I watched every single entry. Then I just got bored of mecha and stopped watching altogether. Not sure what i'm still doing here.

Gundam literally killed my boner. At least if you watch Gundam, don't try to watch everything at once. You'll only kill yourself.
>>
>>13873469
Yeah I try to superset my genres to prevent a burnout. I followed up M. D. Geist with Baccano and Code Geass with Darker than Black. I created this thread now so as to compile some options for Gundam while I'm in the middle of Jormungand. Suppose that makes me a jack of all trades and an ace of none.
>>
>>13873454
That reminds me, I forgot to add Starship Operators, Gunparade March, and Sky Crawlers to the list at the top. Does that change anything?
>>
>>13873509
Nope. There's only so much Gundam to watch so just start at the beginning and work your way through.
>>
>>13873414

Only two things on that list are even remotely decent though.
>>
>>13873354
Ignore this guy, OP, there's plenty of other good Gundam that comes after the original series.
>>
>>13873399
It's the production order.

Several of them are out of order.

You can look up a chronological UC chart if you have to, but concerning UC, I'd at least do 0079->Zeta->ZZ (so you can get in on the dank canon vs. non-canon debate) ->CCA

After that you can watch everything else in whatever order you want, though I'd suggest watching SEED before Destiny, and Turn-A before G-Reco.
>>
>>13873399
>>13873536
Out of Chrono order that is
>>
>>13873311
>I figure it was high time to get into the genre's most famous franchise: Gundam.

Stick with the OVAs and films. Those are the best.

Then branch out into the tv shows. But I consider the TV shows to be optional. They have lots of filler and usually aren't that great.
>>
File: 1414370154955.jpg (704KB, 1896x1388px) Image search: [Google]
1414370154955.jpg
704KB, 1896x1388px
>>13873311
I'll make it simple for you

0079 > 0080 > 0083
>>
>>13873564
Fly away, troll.
>>
>>13873673

I'm a very casual gundam fan. I don't really care for the shows too much.

I don't like the people who end up recommending 90% of the Gundam tv shows, since most of them aren't that good and they're pretty repetitive.
>>
>>13873749
then why are you watching gundam, pretty much most of it is the same thing and repetitive
>>
File: 1445469979063[1].webm (2MB, 720x390px) Image search: [Google]
1445469979063[1].webm
2MB, 720x390px
>>13873752

There's different levels of fans. A lot of /m/ are strong Gundam fans so they like most everything. That gives the wrong view to someone like OP who likely won't be as into Gundam as other people.

The movies and OVA at least have great animation. I would say that they are all Essential Tier for any anime or mecha fan.
>>
>>13873768
if there's anything essential in gundam it's 0079 and only 0079
>>
>>13873768
OP here, last post of the night. I've heard a lot of people getting into the franchise through Wing and Seed. How do they compare against the rest?

Will check back in the morning. Hopefully the thread won't 404 by then.
>>
>>13873793
Lots of people got into the franchise through those shows because those were the shows on television at the time when they were young. Personally I find them on the lower tier of the franchise, especially Seed. Wing is mediocre, a C grade for me.
>>
>>13873793
Those people are Toonami babbies. Toonami aired 'em, those guys ate it up as kids. That's about it.

Just watch MSG. It isn't that hard.
>>
>>13873793
>hopefully thread won't 404
You truly are a beautiful thing, new friend.

Wing > Seed as far as a starting point goes.

Endless Waltz is cool and pretty. Also, if you're mad at Jurassic Park, it's got your feathers.
>>
>>13873311
That's pretty simple. Gundam is divided between two sorts of timelines :

-Universal Century: the main timeline, and the most well-know
-Alternate Universe:Those are shows which have nothing to do with the UC timelines and are self-contained stories within their own tinelines, but keep the core elements of the franchise.

So, how do you get into Gundam ? That's simple. Look at the chart, find the show that appeals to you. Then, there are three cases:

>Show is set in the UC timeline:
Watch Gundam 0079 and every UC show in production order up to that show

>Show is Gundam Seed Destiny:
Watch Gundam Seed before.

>Show is set in another alternate universe
No problem, you can watch it.

Also, watch shows other than Gundam in parallel or you'll burn out.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.