[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What happened with this show? When I use to watch lots of anime

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 8

File: guymelif.jpg (56KB, 736x552px) Image search: [Google]
guymelif.jpg
56KB, 736x552px
What happened with this show? When I use to watch lots of anime it was hailed as an excellent show and tons of people liked it. It never hit mainstream popularity like Evangelion did but Escaflowne was pretty big with anime fans in the early 2000s. Escaflowne was that one anime that everyone liked. It wasn't a perfect show or anything but people loved it.

Now I go on review sites like myanimelist and people just rip it apart. What happened? Backlash from early popularity? I know the animation style with the big noses can throw off people but I'm shocked at the hate this show gets now.
>>
People hate Escaflowne now? It wasn't perfect but I thought it was damn good.
>>
>>13836545
Same here, I haven't noticed the show getting much hate.
>>
>>13836541

People got taste in regards to this show, though not much else.
>>
Why aren't they making more fantasy mecha anime? Though IBO would be one.
>>
File: 1454043219820.jpg (29KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1454043219820.jpg
29KB, 640x480px
>>13836541
>myanimelist
There's your problem.
>>
the hate for Escaflowne on /m/ mainly comes from a couple REALLY loud guys that hated how the show worked.
>>
Didn't Funimation acquire the rights to the show? I need to upgrade my dvds to bluray.
>>
I just remember watching it on Fox when I was a kid, and getting pissed that they cancelled it. Took me around a decade and a half before I decided to download and watch the original version, and I was surprised at how much they edited out. Felt like a completely different show.
>>
I need to rewatch this soon.
Haven't seen much hate for the series, seems more like it just fell off most people's radar.
>>
>>13836541
Go to Toonami Aftermath. They stream it every other month, I think.
>>
Are there any other Fantasy Mecha series that were good? I know El-Hazard: The Wanderers is mediocre and Tenchi is a weird mix of space opera and fantasy.
>>
>>13836752

Galient
>>
>>13836752
Rayearth
>>
>>13836752
Dunbine.
>>
I seriously don't remember people hating Escaflowne. It's always been pretty liked

>>13836752
Mashin Eiyuuden Wataru (I hope you like MotW though)
>>
>>13836752

panzer world galient (It's more of a fantasy aesthetic, but hen, close enough.)
>>
>>13836752
Break Blade, sort of.
>>
>>13836541
>Now I go on review sites like myanimelist and people just rip it apart.
Maybe because 999 of 1000 of them are really super-dumb.
>>
>>13836804
What's fantasy about it?
>>
>>13836783
>>13836781
>>13836778
>>13836771
Why are they ancient?
>>
>>13836844
Fatnasy wasn't in fashion since ages.
>>
>>13836816
Knights, magic, and lack of scifi.
>>
>>13836844
Cross Ange is a recent, Fantasy mecha anime. Of course it also sucks monkeyballs.
>>
>>13836844
Fantasy mecha isn't a popular genre especially the more recent you get
>>
>>13836853
What kind of magic? I only remember MC's esper powers which are pretty sci-fi.
>>
>>13836875
Discussion: Final Fantasy 6 with its espers and magitek, is sci-fi and not actually fantasy.

Final Sci-fi 6 if you will
>>
>>13836891
We're discussing Break Blade actually.
>>
>>13836752
That other Tenchi spin-off with his cousin or something
>>
If you had $60 million and were told to make a 26-episode fantasy mecha anime series or cartoon, what would you do?
>>
>>13836875
The mechs and anything resembling technology only worked depending on people's ability to charge mana through quartz, something posited as being a sort of magical catalyst and the base material for everything in the show. The only element of sci-fi is the titular suit itself, but the rest, from the political landscape to the actual setting itself, is pretty much fantasy, just presented in a somewhat unconventional way.
>>
>>13836844

It's a rare kind of mecha show to begin with, and most of them just happened to be made 20 or more years ago
>>
>>13836914

A shorter, more concise Dunbine. That's show's biggest enemy was its pacing, it can still work as a show if the pacing isn't all over the place.
>>
>>13836914
Story by Takahashi.
Character design by Urushihara.
Mech design by Okawara and Ohata.
Animation by Nakazawa and Obari.
Music by Kanno.

Hope you like tits, shading, noses, and "oops the magic was ancient space technology all along".
>>
>>13836752
Raideen and RahXephon are magical mecha, so I'd place them as low science fantasy.

Might interest you. (Magic, bows n arrows etc)
>>
>>13836999
You think you can do that with $60 million?
Also
>animation by Obari
>a good thing
>>
>>13836979
But not too short or too concise, otherwise you get Wings of Rean and it runs into the exact opposite problem.
>>
>>13837014

Well yeah, it'll be longer than fucking 3 episodes.

I'd probably just cut the show down by half.
>>
File: timeferfaps.jpg (58KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
timeferfaps.jpg
58KB, 960x720px
>>13836999
Trips can confirm that this is my fetish.

But you'd probably blow the entire budget in the first couple of episodes.
>>
>>13836999
>oops the magic was ancient space technology all along

That's allowable. Sufficiently advanced science is only distinguishable from magic in that you have an understanding of it, after all.
>>
>>13836914
Steven Universe.
>>
>>13836809
Also the show is older than they are. That really works against it.
>>
>>13837084
>>13836541

Its not moe, so most modern anime viewers aren't going to watch it.
>>
>>13836541
>Now I go on review sites like myanimelist and people just rip it apart.

Sites like MAL are populated by amateurs who deem themselves to be savvy critics when they have no real qualifications for it. It's like when people post a restaurant review on Yelp! because the cute waitresses wouldn't give them their numbers. Also if you look at some of the highest rated shows on those sites they're almost always populated by nouveau garbage that people would forget about after a few years. You can tell that such reviewers give high marks to shows that satisfy superficial tastes in melodrama and animation, but lack painfully in plot, pacing, characters development, and world-building.
>>
Escaflowne in 1080p blu-ray is a miracle of the universe, Sunrise hasn't done a TV series that looks as good ever since.
Not even joking, they only try with OVA and Movies now, but their tv series haven't had such quality ever since.
>>
File: 1349568633551.jpg (129KB, 782x1023px) Image search: [Google]
1349568633551.jpg
129KB, 782x1023px
>>13836781
He said good series.
>>
>>13837757
What the actual fuck is this?
>>
>>13836541
>myanimelist
>has a 7.8 out of ten
>out of the dozens of reviews for the show only two go below a 7 with most ranging from 8-10
MAL has shit taste but I'm not seeing this Escaflowne hate boogie man on there.
I'm only 11 episodes in and I think it's pretty great.
>>
>>13837788
>out of the dozens of reviews for the show only two go below a 7 with most ranging from 8-10
MAL is fucked as a system. It's like if every shitposter here was submitting a score for every show they watch. You can not watch any episode, put that you watched 16 and give it a 1/10 not even giving reasons
>>
>>13837005

Anime isn't actually that expensive, you could probably make several really well animated 26 episode shows with that kind of money.
>>
Well Escaflowne is a gorgeous show, but its plot isn't anything to write home about and the mech action lacks creativity. The majority of it is just generic (albeit beautiful) sword fights
>>
>>13836914

Pocket the money and leave before I have to make the most garbage type of /m/ series
>>
File: s6hdwsdw56.jpg (34KB, 854x480px) Image search: [Google]
s6hdwsdw56.jpg
34KB, 854x480px
>>13836541
>Now I go on review sites like myanimelist
>>
>>13836914
Solatorobo anime
It has "robo" in its name, it's /m/
And it would probably work better as an anime rather than a game
>>
>>13836961
>from the political landscape to the actual setting itself, is pretty much fantasy
I will not bait.
>>
>>13836856
>Cross Ange is a recent, Fantasy mecha anime

What exactly was "fantasy" about Cross Ange?
Magitek =/= Fantasy
>>
>>13838527
>What exactly was "fantasy" about Cross Ange?

Magic, princess, dragons, knights.
>>
>>13838551
>>13838527
Bad writing. Don't forget bad writing.
>>
>>13838527
>Magitek =/= Fantasy

Uh... Yes it does. Magic. The tech doesn't invalidate the magic.

Look let's not do the whole bickering about genre boundries, or we will be here all day. Some people consider Harry Potter Fantasy, some don't. Some consider Final Fantasy er Fantasy, so don't. Is Star Wars science fiction or is it fantasy? When people ask for Fantasy mecha, almost all the answers are going to be hybirds of some kind. I'm just giving stuff that has fantasy elements, or fantasy athestics, setting etc.

>>3836850
Actually there is a huge glut of fantasy stuff lately. But it stems from Light Novels, so it's bunch harem stories or Sword Arts knock offs.
>>
File: kill DRAGON.jpg (82KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
kill DRAGON.jpg
82KB, 1280x720px
>>13838551
>Magic

Only magitek which does not have to make fantasy.

>princess

Princesses with guns and mecha = not fantasy

>dragons

Ah yes, DRAGONs.

>knights

There was only Tusk and he was not a fantasy knight.
>>
>>13838580
>magitek

"Magitek" is effectively magic.
>>
>>13836541
I watched Escaflowne recently and was pretty disappointed by it. Yes the production is great (art, animation, music - all fantastic), but the story just felt so lifeless and uninspired.

None of the characters have any kind of personality or purpose outside of their roles in the plot of the show. They're completely uninteresting two-dimensional characters that I didn't give a fuck about in the slightest. The plot itself is just nonsense of course, but that wouldn't have mattered if the characters were worth caring about, and they aren't.

I think the movie was quite a lot better. It focuses more on the sights and sounds, while presenting the story in a much more abstract way that really suits the concept that it might just be Hitomi's dream, or a vision.
>>
>>13836999
>Hope you like tits, shading, noses, and "oops the magic was ancient space technology all along".

So your making an anime of Xenogears? In that case I'm all for it anon.
>>
File: 1346752961107.jpg (23KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1346752961107.jpg
23KB, 250x250px
>>13838980
>I think the movie was quite a lot better
>>
>>13836671
Similar experience

Hell I think I only watched the first episode on Fox, loved it and never watched the series until recently. Much like Gundam X it's just a really solid well done show
>>
>>13837721
Ah yes, One Piece, the most moe of anime.
>>
>>13836541
10/10
>>
>>13836541
As someone who mostly enjoyed the show. The main problem with it was Hitomi being a retard most of the time. Even my normie sister who finds mechs dumb liked the show but hated the ending.
>>
>>13837757
>>13837760

I'm guessing some sort of CWC-chan comic?
>>
>>13836541
>myanimelist
Disregard that site entirely, most of it's users are complete morons and Escaflowne is an okay show that I feel shouldnt have been a shoujo show at all because once those cliche's come knocking the show takes a dip in quality.

MAL is like when some newfag finishes a show and comes here to make his big review because /a/ moves too fast to give a shit. Everyone talks as though they're an expert without having any kind of qualifications for it and most of them praise garbage shows for completely superficial reasons like cheap poorly contrived "feels" and unironically being a trainwreck even if it sucked all the way through rather than how well the story is told, art direction, animation or use of its score.

Also apparently no one knows how to rate anything lower than a 7 on this site where 7 is bad, 8 is good and 9&10 are great. Valvrave has a 7.4 rating on MAL if that's any indication of the userbase's taste.
>>
>>13837760
Reminds me about Tails gets trolled.
>>
File: confused.jpg (25KB, 540x329px) Image search: [Google]
confused.jpg
25KB, 540x329px
>>13848726
>newfag finishes a show and comes here to make his big review because /a/ moves too fast to give a shit.

There are people that do this? For THAT reason?
>>
>>13838980
>>13843159

To each his own. But movie>show is a rare opinion. The movie looked pretty, but it was a hot mess every where else. It's best to approach it as it's own story, however because it has the Escaflowne name attached to the title, it fails to meet expectations.
>>
>>13848996
>It's best to approach it as it's own story
It's what it is after all. It still has its fair share of issues on its own.
>>
>>13848680
>Even my normie sister who finds mechs dumb liked the show but hated the ending
Ending was great, perfect normie filter.
>>
>>13838580
>There was only Tusk
Salia's retard squad
>>
>>13848726
Most reviewers in general are complete morons. They just act as a nucleus around which other people glomp onto to reinforce amd validate their own opinions.
>>
>>13849304
Usually when they don't they feel the need to point out how hard they disregard popular opinions.
>>
It actually had a pretty good score on MAL, 7.8
>>
>>13848989
/m/ is a slower moving board, so logically shitpost or bait threads last a lot longer and are more noticeable. Remember just last year we had at least 2 G Reco bait threads on /m/ up almost 24/7 for the shows entire run and months after it.

/a/ has a lot of retards but /m/ has a lot more that are easy to keep on the hook.
Thread posts: 80
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.