[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

George Lucas's successors live in /m/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 12

File: bitch-tears.jpg (34KB, 600x255px) Image search: [Google]
bitch-tears.jpg
34KB, 600x255px
>Tomino kills UC Gundam with Reconguista
>Anno kills Eva with 3.0
>Nagano kills FSS with Gothicmade
>Kawamori kills Macross with Delta
>All of these events happened within the last 3 years

Were all these franchises sacrificed using voodoo magic just so The Force Awakens could escape the curse of the Prequels?
>>
>Implying any of those series were even alive to begin with.
>>
File: 1451541772632.jpg (116KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1451541772632.jpg
116KB, 500x500px
>>13833104
>Tomino kills UC Gundam with Tomino style writing but no 50 episodes so its clumsy
>Anno kills Eva with 3.0 which stands out as getting closer to the original and providing exciting 70's style action
>Nagano kills FSS with Gothicmade A story about sinewy mechs and grils that has more sinewy mechs and grils, surprising no one.
>Kawamori kills Macross with Delta, a trend that has been dawdling towards idle heavy stories for the last 15 years, delta could be shit or fun

Nice try Bait kun but nones of these are Gergio "It rhymes So it's jar-jar time" Lucassa.
>>
>>13833104
>>Tomino kills UC Gundam with Reconguista
He killed it with Zeta.
>>
>>13833146
>>>Tomino kills UC Gundam with ReconguistaHe killed it with Zeta.

And proceeded to redeem it with ZZ. :)
Of course he later destroyed it all again with Gundam Victory. But came out on top with Mustached Gundam. So now everything is cool again. As for G-Reko is that even a Gundam series ? Lol.
>>
>>13833104
But all of those things are way better then the trash known as The Force Awakens.
>>
File: 1450867868748.jpg (65KB, 675x380px) Image search: [Google]
1450867868748.jpg
65KB, 675x380px
>>13833104
I've never seen much Star Wars discussion on /m/. What's the consensus on George Lucas around here?

I'm personally a huge fan of all of his work and I think that posterity will view him and especially his prequels in a kind light. Especially now that the plebbish masses are being given what they want and it's hokey trash churned out by hacks. Twenty years down the line everyone will agree with me.
>>
>>13833104
>just so The Force Awakens could escape the curse of the Prequels?

Well they failed big time then.
>>
The prequels gave us a universe, The Force Awakens gave us a rehash. It wasn't even a good rehash.

Star Wars old timers are deluded as shit. I guess the original trilogy was good for its time, but they're pretty much unwatchable for someone who's new to the franchise.
>>
>7 2.0
>bad
wow you are a retard
>>
>>13833104
Tomino killed gundam with Turn A though
>>
>There are actual people defending G Reco

I haven't seen anything from it but I'm suprised. Seems like people are only shitting on it. Are you trying to tell me it has some redeeming values?

Enlighten me
>>
>>13833104
Still enjoy those more than the tripe that is Star Wars.
>>
>>13833104
>a non-UC show killed UC
>>
File: tPw6Ohs.jpg (41KB, 453x464px) Image search: [Google]
tPw6Ohs.jpg
41KB, 453x464px
>>13833797
>Denial intensifies
>>
>>13833790
Watch it for yourself.
>>
>>13833790
>Are you trying to tell me it has some redeeming values?
You can that answer by yourself, since you just said
>I haven't seen anything
>>
>>13833104
What the fuck is wrong with his chin
>>
>>13833335
>Star Wars old timers are deluded as shit. I guess the original trilogy was good for its time, but they're pretty much unwatchable for someone who's new to the franchise.
Wow, way to be a fucking hipster
>>
>>13833104
>Anno kills Eva with 3.0
I know this is bait, but there was never a time when the Rebuilds were "good." Merely "okay," and that was only the first one.
>>
Delta isn't even out yet.

Also just because it wasn't as bad as the prequels doesn't mean star wars awakens was good.
>>
File: fedorajo.png (160KB, 464x470px) Image search: [Google]
fedorajo.png
160KB, 464x470px
>>13834031
Next you'll tell us about how NGE was animated a million billion times better.
>>
>>13833104
Literally no or else we wouldn't have Thunderbolt right now
>Anno kills Eva with 3.0
Who cares? It doesn't make the TV series go away
>Nagano kills FSS with Gothicmade
Was it ever actually alive? Also, you make it sound like anybody was hype for Gothicmade at all.
>Kawamori kills Macross with Delta
Not even out. Don't get so triggered by idols. That's like saying Frontier killed Macross when it's like the 10th highest selling anime or something or 7 killed Macross when it was just as popular if not more than SDF
>>
>>13834168
When it was animated, yeah. I mean, there weren't any Macross moments in Eva. Just still shots.
>>
>>13833868
I agreed with him until that point.
>>
>>13834161
I thought it was good, just nowhere near as good as the OT
>>
>>13833146
>>13833200
Here we go again!

>>13833219
While I do acknowledge many flaws in the prequels, I think they were very creative films, much more so than The Force Awakens, which was safe to a fault imo
>>
>>13834031
Fuck you, 2.0 was great.
>>
File: tomino lucas.png (1MB, 558x797px) Image search: [Google]
tomino lucas.png
1MB, 558x797px
>>
File: gtm-vatshu.jpg (392KB, 1238x771px) Image search: [Google]
gtm-vatshu.jpg
392KB, 1238x771px
>>13834212
>Was it ever actually alive? Also, you make it sound like anybody was hype for Gothicmade at all.

Believe it or not, there was a time when FSS was alive and active. But that was 20 years ago. And then Nagano erases it all in one fell swoop by randomly changing the entire setting and all the designs in a single year.
>>
>>13834257
>When it was animated, yeah.
This is wrong.
>>
>>13834830

Thats a nice opinion. I will put it with the others.
>>
>>13834857
>objective facts are opinions
Please, post your stiffly animated berserk scene again, we'll laugh like last time.
>>
>>13834862

Anyone who unironically uses the term objective cannot objective, because the greatest sin of subjectivity is to pretend that objectivity is attainable.
>>
File: 1409372927893.jpg (173KB, 499x468px) Image search: [Google]
1409372927893.jpg
173KB, 499x468px
>>13834866
/mu/tant detected
>>
>>13834874
whenever I go to /mu/ I can't tell if people are serious or not

do they really care that much about what people think of their music tastes?
>>
>>13834878
whenever I go to /m/ I can't tell if people are serious or not

do they really care that much about what people think of their chinese robot tastes?
>>
>>13834919
Confirmed /mu/stard stain
>>
>>13834751
gr8 b8 m8
>>
>>13834771
>But that was 20 years ago.
Last manga volume sold a lot though. It is still alive.
>>
the force awakens would genuinely have been miles better had Lucas been involved.
He just needs restraining and kept away from writing the scripts.
The problem with the force awakens is that it's made to appeal to the generalised view of what Star Wars is and the only place its drawing its inspiration from is the original trilogy. what we got was just a bland regurgitated remix of 4, 5 and 6
>>
>>13833219
It's probably a case of "grew up with the prequels" but they're okay. I do remember when there were only three episodes though. For what it's worth I think Episode II is the worst of the three.
>>
>>13834830
>This is wrong.
It's not.
Evangelion at its best
>high framerate
>hand-drawn
>great sense of weight
>great understanding of color.
Rebuild at its best
>CGshit
>6fps action scenes even though character scenes look smoother
>Monty Oum in charge of kaiju fights
>awful palettes
>>
>>13833790
>G Reco
>bad
I love this /m/eme
>>
>>13833104
G-Reco was a more interesting watch than TFA.
>>
>>13835071
>high framerate
>>>/v/
>>
>>13835163
>I'm blind
>but also I'm judging animation
>>
>>13835183
>>>/v/
>>
>>13833104

Only George Lucas there is Anno.
>>
Still waiting for that Anno-Nagano-Ikuhara collaboration that will save their careers from endless rehashing.
>>
>>13833104
G-Reco is great for what it is, UC was killed by Unicorn
>>
>>13835071
Please show us one example of this 6fps.
>>
>>13835045
Pretty much. I'm really sad they rejected George's ideas for the new trilogy, to be honest. The man is a genuinely talented storyteller that suffers from lackluster execution. If they had taken his ideas and refined them, like how it happened with the production of the OT, TFA could have been an amazing celebration of everything that makes Star Wars great instead of a passionless nostalgia pandering cash-in.
>>
>>13835895
What were Lucas's ideas?
>>
>>13835895
>I read some reviews online guy
>>
>>13835912
We don't really have much of a clue, except that it was going to be something completely new instead of basically being a soft reboot of the OT, and that it was supposedly going to have a slightly younger protag. Lucas doesn't seem like he wants to share, either. We'll probably find out when he dies.
>>13835918
I don't read reviews.
>>
>>13835877
Unicorn's shitnes din't do much we got Origin and edgy federation pilot the anime now.

To kill Gundam you need like 4 Gundam Age and 3 IBO over the next 7 to 8 years.
>>
>>13835895
>>13835932
>Lucas' ideas sounded great
>We don't know what they are though
>>
>>13835964
I never said they sounded great. Just that I'm sad that they shut George out of the project completely, since his ideas are generally great with refinement and almost anything could be better than the uninspired garbage that was TFA.
>>
>>13835973

>ANH

A farmboy discovers he's heir to an ancient tradition, receives a magic sword, and must rescue the princess from the evil minister and the black knight with the help of a dashing rogue

IN SPACE

>Empire

The black knight is his dad, also there's an evil wizard

>ROTJ

The evil wizard falls in a hole

>TFA

A farmgirl discovers she's heir to an ancient tradition...
>>
>>13835988
>A farmgirl discovers she's heir to an ancient tradition

Not a farmgirl, a scavenger/prostitute.

Anakin = slave
Luke = farmboy
Rey = scavver
>>
>>13835000
Really? Sauce. All I know is that it was very controversial, especially coming from the 500 or so reviews on Amazon JP.
>>
File: geo.jpg (62KB, 620x387px) Image search: [Google]
geo.jpg
62KB, 620x387px
>>13835988
>resorting to this instead of shitting on George properly
>>
>>13835988
What a lame simplified summary.
>>
>>13836062

Yeah the evil minister (and the evil wizard) have death lasers
>>
File: nanomachines.jpg (8KB, 239x200px) Image search: [Google]
nanomachines.jpg
8KB, 239x200px
>>13835850
If those three ever work together, it won't be on an anime, but on building their own Getter Robo and piloting it against Metal Gear Trump after he becomes president.
>>
>>13835992
>Really? Sauce.
>223,688 copies

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-08-26/japanese-comic-ranking-august-17-23/.92166
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-08-19/japanese-comic-ranking-august-10-16/.91886
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-08-12/japanese-comic-ranking-august-3-9/.91608
>>
>>13835895
>>13835045

You guys are missing the point of what TFA was supposed to do.

Anyone who knew their ass from a hole in the ground knew that TFA was going to play things as safe as possible and be as generically Star Wars as they could manage. This is why they hired JJA to direct it.

For kicking off the new era of Star Wars, the SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT goal of the first new Star Wars movie was to wash the taste of the prequel movies, which are commonly derided, out of the mouths of the common audience. The movies are not being aimed at the people who watch clone wars cartoons and stuff, those fans will show up to anything. They have to worry about the fans whose last Star Wars memory was Revenge of the Sith.

The Force Awakens had one job: to be as safe as possible, and to be Star Wars. To do its job it did not need to be new or groundbreaking or amazing. It just had to be Star Wars and to not be bad.

And thats what it did. It was Star Wars, and it wasn't terrible. It could have been better, but being better means taking risks. And if TFA bombed then all of Disney's SW plans would be up shit creek. So no risks were taken.
>>
>>13837902
>And if TFA bombed then all of Disney's SW plans would be up shit creek. So no risks were taken.

And that's exactly how Disney is going to handle it every Star Wars movie. No risks. Just like all the capeshit they churn out.
>>
>>13837902
This is a big part of it - this was Disney's first time at the wheel. They had a LOT to live up to, both in terms of general fan distrust as well as fan distrust over having been burned by the prequels. It's actually pretty telling that, story-wise, they tried not to make too many connections to the prequels on this one.

Also, another thing for considering:

Storywise, TFA was safe.
It took risks in other areas though. Most notably with regards to its choices in protagonists and how it handled the old cast.

Lest we forget how hard parts of the internet flipped their shit over BLACK STORMTROOPER, then the backlash over finding out there was a woman protag is. This sounds like it shouldn't be particularly risky but for your first tentpole entry to the brand as the new owners and coming into it with some bad blood already present, especially while Marvel's cinematic universe, which has been basically cumming gold bricks for close to five years now is still at the level of "Well, we're working on it, but it'll be a little while longer" with either of those demos leading a movie...yeah, I'm not gonna pretend that was a particularly safe roll of the dice. Not enough to sink the movie, but certainly a chance they could have just sidestepped if they really felt like it.

Throw in the fact that one of the big returning three is almost not in the movie and has no lines shy of a reused soundbite in a flashback, another is sidelined into supporting cast, and the third and fan favorite is killed not in an act of heroic sacrifice, but cold-blooded patricide and they could have played this movie a whole lot safer than they did.

Yeah, the story was low-balling it, but there's enough other areas taking chances that I can't completely write the movie off as 'safe'.
>>
File: 1347107997574.gif (491KB, 320x242px) Image search: [Google]
1347107997574.gif
491KB, 320x242px
>>13833104
>Anno kills Eva with 3.0

3.0 is the best thing Anno did since the first half of NGE
>>
File: 1453825221097.png (183KB, 1057x596px) Image search: [Google]
1453825221097.png
183KB, 1057x596px
>>13833790
Way to miss the entire point of that show you never even watched, fucking idiot.
>>
>>13838710
You meant second half right?
>>
>>13834750
That's impossible, Mari was in it.
>>
>>13838821
second half is pure pretencious bullshit, first half is where the fun is
>>
>>13838875
As a general rule of thumb, people who are too dumb to spell "pretentious" shouldn't be taken seriously on the subject.
>>
>>13837902
This whole idea of what is and isnt star wars is a fucking joke though.
>>
>>13833104
To be fair after Victory I'm pretty sure the Earth would be too fucked from being constantly ass raped by space empires to be able to have massive wars for at least a few good decades, so why not change the era while you're at it?

Still holding out hope for a direct sequel to Victory Gundam where Uso is traumatized as shit and expected to go back into combat...
>>
>>13837118

That's not really great numbers to be honest. The latest volumes of Bleach still outsell that 2 or 3 times over and that not only comes out more often, but has lost a large number of readers over the years as it became more and more shit.

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1373137

It doesn't even make top 100 for the year with those numbers. It doesn't even really get close. It is at best pretty average.
>>
>>13835988
Guess which one he had the most involvement on?
A New Hope.
>>
>>13839033
They're aimed at entirely different audiences. FSS isn't sold in weekly shonen or seinen magazines, it's sold in an monthly anime magazines (Newtype) and has far less volumes overall. It's like comparing the market for a Mercedes to a Toyota. FSS is one of the best sellers in that genre of anime magazine manga. Even Miyazaki's Nausicaa, which was also serialized in another anime magazine (Animage), barely outsells FSS (14 vs 12 million copies sold worldwide). And unlike FSS, Nausicaa has proper worldwide distribution AND Miyazaki's name is on it. The only reason the west doesn't talk as much about it is because Toyspress botched the US release.
>>
I see that the one /tv/ autist who keep posting revisionist apologist views about the Prequels has finally made landfall to /m/. Whats the matter? Got buttblasted so much on /tv/ that you run with your short bushy tail between your legs? The Prequels were trash. Georgie was a good sfx man but trash director and even worse script writer. Admit it. The only reason for your revisionisy views is that you are a stealth red pill /pol/ who bought into the Booyaga ooga booga ess jeh dubya le dying white men anti TFA propaganda. Admit it.
>>
>>13839408

> trash director

Not really, no. He's actually quite a talented director and responsible for many of the best scenes and shots in Star Wars. Think of the opening shot of A New Hope. I don't even have to describe it, because you almost certainly know what it is and could probably visualize every second of it and the entire following scene in graphic detail in your head. That's because it's an extremely well directed scene and the movie is chock full of them. He's an atrocious script writer and freely admits that himself (he describes the process of screen-writing as bleeding all over the page regularly) and for the older films had several people re-check them to add some flavor if nothing else for every script, which makes it all the weirder that he chose not to do that with the new ones. He's definitely not a bad director though. His college films were some of the most celebrated indie stuff of the time and he stepped almost straight from there to Hollywood on their strength.
>>
>>13839357

There are a good few monthly manga on that list too, like Blue Exorcist, Mix, Attack on Titan and even at least one manga that's primarily done online with One Punch Man. Coming out more often is as much a hindrance as it is a help since it means there's more volumes to buy and more money to spend, which will almost certainly put off as many people as it will keep. Especially when you have 70 or whatever volumes and it's hey day is so far in the rear view mirror that you'd have to backtrack through several time zones to find it.
>>
>>13839448
>which makes it all the weirder that he chose not to do that with the new ones
He didn't choose. He called people like Lawrence Kasdan and they declined.
>>
>>13839495
I'm not familiar with Mix, but all those other series you mentioned are published in shonen magazines. Even if it is monthly, shonen magazines always tend to sell better than anime magazines. Once again, different demographics and target audiences.

FSS is really weird in who its target audience is regardless. It's even been the subject of quite a few issues of Eureka , which is a poetry and critic magazine. I'm under the impression that it was tailor-made for G1 Otaku (other people from Nagano's generation like Anno and Kawamori).
>>
>>13839559

That makes more sense. It's still hard to imagine that he couldn't find someone he trusted to work on it and that was willing to do so given that the movies would be some of the most hotly anticipated movies of the decade, if not the century. Especially the first one.

>>13839592

I don't really see how that makes a difference to be honest. It still sold relatively small numbers compared to a lot of other stuff so it's hard to see how you can argue that it sold a lot. Because it really didn't. Sure, there might be reasons, but it's still true regardless.
>>
>>13839626
>I don't really see how that makes a difference to be honest. It still sold relatively small numbers compared to a lot of other stuff so it's hard to see how you can argue that it sold a lot. Because it really didn't. Sure, there might be reasons, but it's still true regardless.

Because it sold far more than any other copies than any other manga within its own "category". The fact that it's even managed to be on the same list as all these shonen series in the first place is a testament to how popular it is. You can't say luxury cars aren't popular just because they don't sell a tenth as well as Honda Civics.
>>
>>13839636

It's not on that list though. It's not even really close, only having about half the sales of number 100. Which means there's almost certainly several hundred more entries ahead of it. Luxury cars also don't sell a lot, and not because only a select number of people are interested,
but because only a handful can afford them. It's a terrible analogy, because FSS costs about the same as any other manga, it just doesn't sell nearly as much.
Thread posts: 89
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.