[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do anime fans hate mecha so much unless its Code Geass? I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 101
Thread images: 10

File: quinmantha.png (1MB, 1219x915px) Image search: [Google]
quinmantha.png
1MB, 1219x915px
Why do anime fans hate mecha so much unless its Code Geass? I'm not going to try saying most of the shit I like is high class art or anything but what makes moe/waifu shit so highly rated in comparison?
>>
Oh, you mean the modern day anime fandom.
Well that's easy, it's shit.
>>
Modern anime fans can't go an hour without seeing a high school.
>>
>geass
>moe/waifu

Nigger what.

They like it because they think it's revolutionary in being dumb and camp and not trying to be realistic because normalfags hate mecha anime for -being unrealistic-. To them, Geass is "we get it, us anime fans amirite?" completely letting the whole nature of the show as a melodramatic piece go over their heads.
>>
>>13831382
They don't even know why. I've talked to a lot of people that eat up stuff like sword art online, code geass, attack on titan and will actually sit down and watch idol shit. Whenever I ask them why they don't give mecha a chance they can never give me a good answer. It's always a "well I don't know. It's just not something I'm into." When I ask why they liked Code Geass I always get "Well the robots weren't that important"
>>
>>13831431
This
1000000 times this
>>
>>13831382

Because you're a whiny little retarded shit who thinks it's okay to make meta threads. Either kill yourself or leave and never come back; either way, this board will be better without you here to bring it down.
>>
>>13831382
considering the current state of /m/, the less people that like mecha, the better.
>>
>>13831382
>Why do anime fans hate mecha so much unless its Code Geass?
Because those shows don't have Lelouch.
>>
File: 1430274494969.png (49KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1430274494969.png
49KB, 1000x1000px
>"Why don't you like mecha anime?"
>"They're all the same"
>goes on to describe traits of Evangelion
>>
>>13831747
Considering that Eva is about as stock SR as you can get, that's not wrong.
>>
>>13831382
People love Xamd and several other non-ancient titles.
>>
I knew a guy once that blindly hated all mecha. Besides Aquarion, of all things.
>>
>>13831780
You're kidding right? How the fuck does that happen?
>>
>>13831770
>People love Xamd
Who are these people and where can I meet them?
>>
>>13831787
Studies show the more stupid a giant robot show is, the more likely everyone but /m/ will enjoy it.
>>
>>13831803
Studies have shown that everybody who isn't /m/ likes everything more than /m/ does.
>>
>>13831431
Mecha fans can't go 20 minutes without seeing robots hitting each other, which in fairness makes a certain amount of sense. But when a majority of people around here start genuinely bitching that there isn't an obligatory robot fight every single episode and claim that nothing is happening purely because robots aren't hitting each other then you start to doubt the judgement of the board.
>>
>>13831809
Well that's pretty accurate
>>
File: opinions.jpg (168KB, 1121x631px) Image search: [Google]
opinions.jpg
168KB, 1121x631px
>>13831843

that restores my faith in the board, you simply think their view should align with YOUR board
>>
>>13831894
It's more that I don't think there is value in the views of someone who is trying to critique the narrative themes of a show and the effectiveness of its character development when at the same time he's calling a show shit because the gattai scenes weren't dope enough and robots didn't explode enough.

But that's my problem I guess.
>>
>>13831903
Personally I have never disliked a mecha show as long as what's happening outside the robots is fun and interesting. However when that fails, I look to the robots and plead, "Give this show something worth watching. I don't care about the story anymore, it is beyond saving. But good battles would save this, if only just a little." Obviously I want both but I don't complain (much) about the robots until the story is worthless.
>>
File: 1395802394706.png (49KB, 599x353px) Image search: [Google]
1395802394706.png
49KB, 599x353px
>>13831894
>the fact that the board is moving away from quality mecha entries and literally telling each other to abandon rational discourse to fellate what would essentially be the Highschool DxD or ImoCho of mecha is restoring my faith in it
out of all the problems this board has now, you tasteless gobshits are the worst.
>>
>>13831382
>why is a niche unpopular guise?
>>
>>13831894
that font is awful, its like reading text from a psone game.
>>
>>13831946

woah did your fedora fall all the way off your head while writing that

you seem pretty serious for discussion about cartoon shows
>>
>>13831946
>rational discourse
>ever occurring on /m/

Choke on a cock, you just want to arbitrarily call people out as having shit taste without actually explaining why.
>>
>>13831436
i hate that this is so true
>>
>>13831963
>WHY WASN'T THERE A FIGHT THIS EPISODE
>>
File: sakurasoldout.jpg (37KB, 580x288px) Image search: [Google]
sakurasoldout.jpg
37KB, 580x288px
>>13831382
Because they're afraid of the social stigma attached to watching glorified half hour toy commercials for children, which is ironic considering the average popular anime is also there to sell merchandise.
>>
>>13831974
>Because they're afraid of the social stigma attache
>Anime
Did I bait good?
>>
File: 1454374105096.jpg (331KB, 1490x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1454374105096.jpg
331KB, 1490x1000px
>>13831809
>Studies have shown that everybody who isn't /m/ likes everything more than /m/ does.
>>
File: 1452716269217.gif (2KB, 210x187px) Image search: [Google]
1452716269217.gif
2KB, 210x187px
>>13831843
Kek, explain why people like Wing so much then you dumbass.
>>
>>13831433
He's talking about the other things anime fans like, not Geass, in that case.
>>
>>13831967
Every argument against Turn A Gundam right there.
>>
>>13832036
Turn A is literally perfect, you shit-tasted faggot.
>>
>>13832010
I knew this was going to come up. I meant MORE SO than the social stigma attached to anime in general. It's telling how niche the genre is when the best complement mainstream critics will give is: "it's pretty good...for a mecha show" (fuck you ANN).
>>
>>13831382
They treat the mecha as window dressing and focus on the characters and plot. They do the same with EVA, same with Gurren Lagann. Which is pretty silly honestly because when you get right down to it mecha are window dressing in EVERY anime ever, the only unifying feature they have in common is being a thirty minute toy commercial. The amount of mecha shows where you could replace the robots with superpowers or guns or something without intrinsically detracting from the main narrative is tiny, they only have robots in them because robots are much more visually entertaining than AMuro shooting a gun for 42 episodes, and because they are useful in selling merchandise.

They assume the rest of mecha anime is just a toy commercial for kids while inventing excuses for themselves for justifying how what they are watching is not, even though it categorically is most definitely a toy commercial for kids.
>>
>>13832036
Not for me.
My primary arguments against it are the extremely lazy cut-and-paste of 19th century america for a setting and half of the character designs being stupid looking caricatures. As idiotic as they were, Cancer's group was still passably designed. The floofy french general and Ulysses S Grant cosplayer were just too much.
Not to mention Corin Nander and his two cronies who all felt like they belonged in a parody of Gundam and not in an actual series.

Sometimes having a mandatory fight in every episode backfires, especially when they have no effect on the relative strengths of the factions involved and are just the requisite five minutes of PEW PEW RUN AWAY. In this respect, I'd take Turn A's reduced portion of battle over G-Reco's mandatory pointless skirmishes any day.
>>
Because most people at the end of the day aren't mecha fans. It's a niche, it's not for everyone. You'd have to have some pretty elitist mindset to think it's purely from some "because they're plebs" standards.

They like Geass because the mechs took a backseat to the drama.
>>
I feel like it's very odd that we consider mecha "niche" when we have our own board dedicated (with some exceptions) to it.

Also, when you trace the lineage of many big and "influential" series, it tends to come back to mechshit.
>>13832150
>is being a thirty minute toy commercial.
Did RahXephon have a notable toy program? (I'm seriously ignorant about that, but the show was no toy-commercial).

I believe the designer of the Fafners explicitly stated he designed them to be difficult to make into toys.
>>
>>13832218
Nothing about Fafners are difficult to make toys out of.

They're just really unsightly with that God forsaken asymmetric torso.

Seriously just fuck off with that torso design god damn.
>>
>>13832150
I like how quick modern anime fans are to pull the toy commercial card when most, if not all of the recent popular anime are light novel or manga commercials. Not that there's anything inherently wrong with light novel or manga commercials, just as there isn't for toy commercials.
>>
>>13831382
>Why do anime fans hate mecha so much unless its Code Geass?
Dude, not only is your statement not actually true...that show is old. Newer mainstream mecha anime have been made since then.
>>
>>13832064
I guess "the normal" part of humanity tend to understand robot cartoons hobby better than girl pants cartoon hobby.
>>
>>13831924
I agree with this point of view. I can watch lengthy 70s MotW purely based on the fact that I know the giant robot is going to walk out... let's say four to six minutes near the end of the episode at the absolute latest, and the fight is probably going to be quite brutal. Even though there's no plot going on, that action can still hold me. I can also watch a lengthy show that only uses mecha action rarely and carries itself on the plot - Dougram is the obvious example here, but Ideon sort of counts too, its fights were usually really short and the show runs on its plot and setting.

But if you're trying to sell me something that has piss action sequences AND piss plot? Yeah, no, fuck that. I got suckered into Tobikage and will probably be suckered into more like it, but there's no way I spend a single cent to support that shit.

>>13832218
>I feel like it's very odd that we consider mecha "niche" when we have our own board dedicated (with some exceptions) to it.

I believe the original intention was to get /m/ things off a different board, probably /a/.
>>
>"I don't like mecha but I loved Gurren Lagann"
>"Why can't other mecha anime be like Gurren Lagann?"

I'm not even hating on GL. I found it fairly enjoyable. But what exactly about it made people who don't normally like mecha consider it an exception?

The most common "reason" I see is because they like all the yelling and action, but then if you suggest other similarly colorful shows with a lot of action and yelling they're just written off as stupid by the same people who praise GL.
>>
>>13833014
> But what exactly about it made people who don't normally like mecha consider it an exception?
>The most common "reason" I see is because they like all the yelling and action, but then if you suggest other similarly colorful shows with a lot of action and yelling they're just written off as stupid by the same people who praise GL.
I've thought about it a lot and I've decided that people who don't watch mecha misinterpret TTGL's genuine love for super robot anime as an ironic joke at the expense of super robot anime.
Because people are fucking stupid.
>>
>>13832047
>literally
>>
>>13833014
I think it's because TTGL is a combination of a lot of things newer anime fans value. Its colorful, new (at least by our standards), has a simple fast moving story, a few Moe characters for waifu shit, a dub with well known voice actors and is overall pretty easy to digest. Most /m/ stuff was made before 2005 so is simply too old/dated for them. Then the only stuff you have left are things without solid dubs, aren't as easy to digest, aren't as pretty or are just too long.
>>
>>13833025

Well, if you've never watched the old shows it loves, you probably wouldn't know that it's like a tribute album to them.
>>
>>13832946
>I believe the original intention was to get /m/ things off a different board, probably /a/.
Oh sure, but I meant more in the since that most hobby communities tend to exaggerate their significance. /m/ is actually kinda humble in that regard only
>>
>>13831843
No, we bitch about nothing happening when nothing actually happens but some small talk.
>>
>>13832047
I said that that was what people use and ammunition when arguing about it.
I do not agree with the sentiment that it's boring at all.

>>13832198
At least you have reasons.
>>
>>13831798
Im right here Anon
>>
>>13833051
>Then the only stuff you have left are things without solid dubs, aren't as easy to digest, aren't as pretty or are just too long.
GGG has a better dub, looks prettier (especially eith those BDs), and is literally an episodic kid's show. It has all the same shit TTGL does and it's only twice as long. Shit, for the longest time it was /m/'s TTGL before TTGL came out-- the definitive "fuck yeah hype-ass robots" series with lots of yelling.
>>
>>13831382
The last mecha I recall a lot of anime fans flocked to was Aldnoah.Zero. Does it have any connection with Code Geass?
>>
>>13833082
>Does it have any connection with Code Geass?
It's the ghetto version
>>
>>13832218
>Did RahXephon have a notable toy program? (I'm seriously ignorant about that, but the show was no toy-commercial).
I don't think so, but I expect it may have been an attempt at creating an Evangelion style merchandise empire based around character goods.

"30 Toy commercial" might be a bit narrow and simplistic as a description of how many Anime (even mecha) try and make money currently. Post-Eva most Anime put out now are built around selling character merchandise rather than just toys. Various things like keychains, phone fobs, notebooks, posters, figurines/statues, pillowcases and other stuff are easier to produce and sell then unique toys.
>>
>>13833082
A.Z. was literally only flocked to because of the names attached to it. Fortunately, even they recognized it was garbage.
>>
>>13833082
It's the Urobutcher's dick ride.
Casuals flock to it because they think it will cater to their "mature and deep anime for a mature person like me".
Still don't get why IBO is so much popular to casuals either. I've just marathoned 00 recently and despite the disappointing 2nd half, with the same episode of season 1, it already surpassed anything from IBO so far.
>>
>>13831382
>I can't relate to the robots, Anon, it takes away from the human feeli-

Nigh everytime.
>>
>>13831843
IBO is shit though anon
>>
>>13833082
AZ attracted people because of its setting but most people stayed around because of shipping.
>>
>>13833098

00's final episode was 7 years ago. That's over half the age of this site.

If it aired today it would've been huge (more huge than it is now I mean). But back then Geass was still too popular for average viewers to care.
>>
File: how_to_feel.jpg (132KB, 696x478px) Image search: [Google]
how_to_feel.jpg
132KB, 696x478px
>>13833222
>Gundam 00 will be a decade old in 2017
>>
I learned to stop trying to convince people to watch mecha anime, I got one friend hooked on the genre so hard though that he's watching shows I still haven't and is gonna eclipse me in mecha knowledge. It's a nice feeling.
>>
>>13832946
/m/ was created because of Gundam Seed Destiny. All you could ever find were threads about the show, other gundam, model kit magazine scans just clogging almost the entire 1st page of /a/
>>
>>13833269

And people wonder how we went to shit when we started with a history like that.

Before someone says "/jp/ is no different", yes it is. /jp/ is incapable of being ruined because it was FOUNDED on the principles of 2hu and shitposting, and it has kept to those ideals since.
>>
>>13833082
It's more Gundam than Geass in terms of appearances, so no, but has an almost emotionless protagonist and another guy who seemed more intersting at first yet turned out to be a loser.
>>
>>13831843
>Mecha fans can't go 20 minutes without seeing robots hitting each other, which in fairness makes a certain amount of sense. But when a majority of people around here start genuinely bitching that there isn't an obligatory robot fight every single episode and claim that nothing is happening purely because robots aren't hitting each other then you start to doubt the judgement of the board.
Giant Robo is highly acclaimed around these parts. Yet, it had way more martial arts than actual giant robot fights.
>>
File: 1400941759728.jpg (216KB, 762x785px) Image search: [Google]
1400941759728.jpg
216KB, 762x785px
>>13833269
>/m/ was created because of Gundam Seed Destiny
NO YOU FUCKING SHITHEAD.

IT WASN'T CREATED BECAUSE OF GUNDAM SEED DESTINY YOU FUCKING RETARD. STOP SPREADING THIS BULLSHIT.

THE EARLIEST RECORDS OF /M/'S EXISTENCE WAS ON AUGUST 16 2004.

SEED DESTINY AIRED IN OCTOBER 2004.

LOOK AT THIS FUCKING LINK AND STOP SPILLING SHIT.

http://tanasinn.info/wiki/Complete_History_of_4chan
>>
>>13833280
HE'S FUCKING WRONG YOU ASSHOLE.

SEE

>>13833399
>>
>>13833402

I didn't mean because of Destiny, I meant to offload traffic.
>>
>>13831809
>Studies have shown that everybody who isn't on 4chan likes everything more than 4chan does.
ftfy
>>
>>13833482

I'd be tempted to say no group likes futa more than 4chan
>>
>>13833076
D-d-do you want to be my friend...?
>>
>>13831843
this is what bugged me so much about the "slowzinger" shit
>>
>>13833098
>deep and mature anime
Why are western anime fans so obsessed with things being "deep" anyway? So many of them have their heads shoved so far up their own ass.
>>
>>13833911
They don't want to be seen as enjoying children's cartoons, and want to boast about anime being superior to western animation.
>>
>>13833078
And no one wants to try out ggg because clawshrimpy gave it a bad rap. And it just now is getting the bd's isn't it? I've only seen threads for them pop up in the last couple of months.
>>
>>13833963
People outside of /m/ know about Clawshrimpy?
>>
>>13833493
You'd be goddam right. We fucking love chick's with dicks. and don't you forget it
>>
>>13833966
If they come to /m/ ask for a show like gurren laggan see ggg and then hear about a horrible guy in the Fandom they might skip over it. Fandom makes people avoid stuff, like with mlp and Steven universe
>>
I don't really mind shallow anime, so I end up watching "kiddy" stuff and then people who ask to watch some with me end up with a bad taste in their mouth. Happens. I just don't show a very good image of mecha anime because they expect it to be different. I know it can be but that doesn't interest me.
>>
>>13833975
You're right, Obnoxious fans are the only reason people wouldn't like garbage.
>>
>>13833975
One guy is nothing compared to all the crazy crap in those two communities.
>>
>>13834008
shrimpy is at least a couple dozen peoples worth of shittiness
>>
I tried to get my friend into mecha, but he said it was for niggers. Is this true?
>>
>>13834021
Name literally one black mecha star who isn't Loran Cehack.
>>
>>13831809
Well that explains why people love TTGL.
>>
>>13834021
Are you a nigger?
>>
From what I have gathered about /a/ specifically, they have a massive inferiority complex regarding /v/ that manifests as them telling anyone who likes something other than vapid cute girls doing nothing shows or meme shows like Geass or Evangelion to get out for liking "manime" or "mature shows for mature people such as myself." Their pretensions would be hilarious if they weren't so pitiable.
>>
>>13834111
Strange how you could apply the same thing to /m/
>>
>>13831382
I used to think I'd never ever watch mecha because my only experience with it was Grendizer when I was a kid.
Back then it was already outdated and I thought it was boring.
My view on mecha was that they were all repetitive MOTW shows.
I slowly started watching some like 5 years ago.
At first it was imagawa stuff because the retro-style appealed to me, and I started to lurk on /m/.
After a few shows I slowly got more and more into it and started watching MOTW shows.
Nowadays I could watch any show with a robot in it if it's not CGshit, but back in the day I would not get anywhere near a show like Zambot 3.

Here are some of the problem people have against mecha:
>GIANT robots are stupid (Medabots are ok)
>it's like transformer or some shit
>It's always the same shit
>They arr rook same
>I care more about characters

If some of you hate toku, that's probably how some people hate mecha.
>>
>>13831843
Okada plz
>>
>>13831382
Well, why SHOULD they like mecha?
>>
>>13834606
Because they claim to hate all mecha shows with a single exception. And said exception is usually every bit as guilty of the things they claim to despise in other mecha shows (which they haven't watched).

No reason they HAVE to enjoy more than one mecha show, but their reasoning usually comes off as flawed and hypocritical.
>>
>>13834121
No you couldn't. We allow anything on this board regardless of whether we should or shouldn't. I mean, I wish everyone on /m/ spammed and flooded tokushit threads until they finally went to /tv/ or /jp/ in the same way that /a/ does, but that won't be happening.
>>
>>13834724
I meant more the elitist mentality. Or rather, I suppose the "get out for not liking the trash I like while liking other trash" mentality that /m/ shares with /a/.
>>
>>13834724
>but that won't be happening
That's because toku is /m/.
Thread posts: 101
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.