[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

http://metro.co.uk/2015/12/07/nasa- hacker-i-found-evidence-america-has

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 11

File: shirogane.jpg (48KB, 400x288px) Image search: [Google]
shirogane.jpg
48KB, 400x288px
http://metro.co.uk/2015/12/07/nasa-hacker-i-found-evidence-america-has-space-warships-5550496/

The First Space War is finally beginning. Are you going to sign up and serve?
>>
Old relics of the cold war probably.

Plus don't they recruit astronauts out of the uniformed services anyway?
>>
>>13826828

The real question is where the fuck would they even hide a space warship in orbit, considering you can see space stations with babby's first telescope.
>>
>>13826834
They painted it black.
>>
>>13826850
The sneaky bastards....
>>
File: kurogane.jpg (40KB, 400x251px) Image search: [Google]
kurogane.jpg
40KB, 400x251px
>>13826850

Still a lot of red and gold on it though I'm sure you'd be able to spot it.
>>
>>13826834
Behind the moon, duh
>>
>>13826834
They wouldn't.
It would be right under your nose and you'd think it just a deep space exploratory spaceship that just so happens to use that orion drive or whatever the nuke propulsion engine was called.
>>
>>13826834
alien's are hiding it for us int heir base on Michael Bay presents Darkside of the Moon
>>
>>13826834
Clearly, they hid it on the other side of the moon.
>>
Well, if we have a Space Navy, sign me the fuck up.
>>
>>13826815
if have cryochambers that actually work sign me up for the first wave of colony ships
>>
>>13826890
>Wanting to be on the first wave of colony ships if they perfect the cryochamber
>Not just buying a cryochamber and waiting 500 years to live in the future, then warping to alien worlds to fight the xeno menace in your own battlesuit
>>
>>13826899
if I did that I wouldn't be able to make my own independent empire when the other colonists eventually stop caring about earth
>>
File: Bask.jpg (51KB, 1062x800px) Image search: [Google]
Bask.jpg
51KB, 1062x800px
>>13826914
>colony independence

Careful with that kind of talk.
>>
>>13826920
earth is dead weigh I refuse to be cucked by them
>>
>>13826815

I doubt we have space battleships, but I would honestly be surprised if we didn't already have PLANS for space battleships.

Just in case, you know, we find ourselves in need of a space battleship in a hurry. So that if something dangerous comes up, its not a case of "shit what do we do?" but rather "build this and hope it works".
>>
>>13826938

Earth is the one who built your precious colonies and invested a fuckton of resources into making them prosperous.

You got the meal, now you have to pay the bill.
>>
>>13826992

Please inform me regarding the circumstances in which we'd need a space battleship in a hurry.
>>
>>13826997

The detection of a presumed hostile alien craft or crafts, or (more likely) the discovery that another nation is currently building their own space battleship.

Its not as absurd as it sounds. During the Cold War, both the USSR and the USA had plans drawn up for how they would wage asymmetrical warfare against an attacking alien force int he event of planetary invasion. Those documents are out of date and the Soviet one got leaked when their government broke up, but presumably the major global powers still have modern versions of those plans in the event of first contact gone bad.
>>
>>13826992

There are legitimate contingincies as far as extraterrestrial invasions goes. So, yeah. It's not a stretch to figure that someone's drawing up plans for a real life Yamato/Macross/Argama.

Still, it's a neat find on that hacker's part.
>>
>>13827014
They have contingency plans for all sorts of crazy shit, like say a girl scout insurrection, it doesn't mean they have anything but plans.
>>
>>13827012
>>13827014
>Alien race capable of interstellar travel turns up and starts making demands
>Rile them up by building a space battleship
>Best case scenario they put down your resistance in minutes and laugh at you
>Worst case you do a little damage, they determine you as a threat and wipe every last speck of human DNA from the galaxy
>>
>>13827026
But muh human spirit and intelligence
>>
>>13826859
>behind a hologram
Nice try

JOIN THE UN SPACY
"To Explore and Protect."
Peace on Earth means we have to defend ourselves from every angle of attack and have the ability to project our force across the Solar System. The US Spacy takes pride in bring the final word for force. That means nobody from Luna to Io can disturb, intimidate or threaten a colonist without becoming our enemy. We work with citizens everywhere to provide protection and security from pirates, rogue smugglers, and militant groups. But we don't stop there. The UN Spacy is open to people of any territory, class or lineage. We offer training and jobs in hundreds of fields, including sciences such as astrogeology, exo-construction, fusion physics, quantum-electrical engineering, xenobiology, gravity therapy, and practical humanities such as multimedia communications, interplanetary law, polycultural studies, Space Age history, and politics. Not to mention the jobs created in weapon development, satellite communication development, and starship development in the private sector. All of this technology eventually becomes integrated into the private sector: The PED on your wrist, the air filters in colonies, and the ability to talk to people hundreds of thousands of miles away all comes from advances made by the UN Spacy.

The Spacy holds honor, discipline, and achievement in highest regard. Enlist and become a part of human history.
>>
>>13827031

I suppose there's the off chance they have a culture that runs with some sort of warrior's code or some shit, and standing up to them will make them respect you instead of seeing you as an ant to crush underfoot.
>>
File: starshipintensifies.jpg (86KB, 640x512px) Image search: [Google]
starshipintensifies.jpg
86KB, 640x512px
>>13827036

I'd like to know more.
>>
>>13826815
>‘It had ranks and names. It had tabs for ‘material transfer’ between ships.

>‘I took that to be, they must have a ships based in space – the names started with U.S.S.’

So he found someone's Star Trek fanfic reference sheets?
>>
>>13827060
>nasa-hacker-i-found-evidence-nasa-has-play-by-email-star-trek-rpg
>>
>>13827044
I wrote it just now, there isn't anything more. I'd imagine that the Spacy basically acts as a an exploratory and expeditionary organization first and peacekeeping force second, since the UN has everyone united into a very basic confederacy. So kind of like a Coast Guard/Border Patrol/police force for "bluewater" space (as in, outside of a planet's orbit). Most funding goes into maintenance and upkeep or general space tech, not really building up a giant space armada. They don't need to control empty space, they focus on being able to control spaceports. Not many carriers.

Basically what used to be a legitimate part of the military and necessary to protect the UN from whatever became an excuse for the UN to monopolize a lot of brainpower because "lol it's in space so that job goes to the Spacy". Not really a space-navy.

Space Marines are basically defunct, they have no reason to be there. The UN hasn't really needed to land somewhere and invade since forever.
>>
A space battleship is stupid.

Just build a space cannon that's remotely controlled.
>>
File: daedalus_in_space_by_sga_maddin.jpg (547KB, 2000x1050px) Image search: [Google]
daedalus_in_space_by_sga_maddin.jpg
547KB, 2000x1050px
>>
>>13827141

Fucking love stargate ships.

>it's a Daedalus reks all the wraith episode
>>
File: expectation_moonlight_mile_s2.jpg (178KB, 998x401px) Image search: [Google]
expectation_moonlight_mile_s2.jpg
178KB, 998x401px
>>13826815

So, an American equivalent to the Almaz program?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Almaz
>>
>>13827071
I'd be more surprised if NASA didn't have that.
>>
>>13827127
You do it
>>
>>13827533
Okay
>>
>>13827071
>nasa-hacker-i-found-evidence-nasa-are-nerds
>>
>>13827039
But if it's a warrior culture, they'd still want to fight anyway. We'd lose at this point just out of the huge experience gap we face compared to them. That's kind of defeatist sounding, but I'm not saying we shouldn't fight; obviously, we should fight like hell. If the whole warrior code is a given in this case, they worst that could happen is we end up getting enslaved. Which would still suck, but it's better than the whole species being wiped out.
>>
>>13827284
More like:
>It's a 'the Asgard cannons are disabled in the first volley so we can have some tension in this battle' episode.
>>
File: P-1112_Aigaion.jpg (577KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
P-1112_Aigaion.jpg
577KB, 1280x720px
Is it okay if I'm not extremely surprised? I'm pleasantly surprised for sure, just not very much.

I mean, if you read up on what sixth gen fighters are supposed to do, space warship would be an ideal, but natural, solution to maximizing their effectiveness.

>reach, persistence, survivability, net-centricity, situational awareness, human-system integration and weapons effects
>laser weapon that could be mounted on next-generation air dominance fighters
>supersonic tailless aircraft
>WiLarger planes would have greater range that would enable them to be stationed further from a combat zone, have greater radar and IR detection capabilities, and carry bigger and longer-range missiles.th the increase of air defense systems using electronic and infrared sensors and high-speed weapons, traditional designs relying on small size, high speed, and maneuverability may be less relevant and easier to intercept.
>

And this
>Adaptive Versatile Engine Technology
>variable-cycle engine could configure itself to act like a turbojet at supersonic speeds, while performing like a high-bypass turbofan for efficient cruising at slower speeds
>supercruise may not be a critical requirement, but it will likely be able to with the engine type(!!!)

This is literally them taking what they learned from the Waverider-X-51A- program and applying it.

On the whole, the space warship thing is less, "we're going to build it to counter Ayylabamaons!" and more "wouldn't it be convenient if we had a super-atmospheric/orbital base from which we can launch supercruising, super-drones that could hit anything, anywhere at any time?" In other words, it's more like an orbital Aigaion from Ace Combat.
>>
>>13827026
I personally believe that the best case scenario would be that interstellar travel is still horribly resource-intensive for the aliens, and that by defeating the first wave, they'd decide to fuck off and leave Earth alone. But then we wouldn't have any contact with the aliens whatsoever, and if they had such a technological advantage over us that they believed an invasion to be feasible, then humans would still lose out in the long run. Obviously a war with aliens wouldn't advisable unless you knew what you were up against.
>>
>>13827756
Sorry, seems to have made a mistake pasting. The two jumbled quotes are supposed to be

>With the increase of air defense systems using electronic and infrared sensors and high-speed weapons, traditional designs relying on small size, high speed, and maneuverability may be less relevant and easier to intercept

and

>Larger planes would have greater range that would enable them to be stationed further from a combat zone, have greater radar and IR detection capabilities, and carry bigger and longer-range missiles.
>>
>>13827756
>Is it okay if I'm not extremely surprised?
Yes. Because it means that
A) you're gullible
B) you're dumb
C) you didn't read the article
>>
>>13827775
I guess I didn't actually read the article. Confirmation bias is strong liquour.
>>
>>13826815
Space pirates soon.
>>
>>13827012
Or for asteroid defense. Did you hear they're creating a division of NASA dedicated to detecting and protecting earth from asteroid strikes? Man, if they had a space battleship up there to use point defense lasers or just target them with nukes from a long distance away, that would make the job a lot easier.
>>
File: 2820861-gallery.png.jpg (227KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
2820861-gallery.png.jpg
227KB, 1280x720px
>railguns
>space warships
>advanced cybernetics
>CERN
We are approaching Progress Level 6. The next goal should be mine the moon's supply of Helium-3 in order to prepare for the Fusion Age.
>>
>>13832658
>batteries still have shitty life
>no real AI
>ISPs can get away with having people even pay for 10mb/s DL speeds
>military hasn't adopted a new type of vehicle (mecha, starfighter, land battleship, powered armor) that's totally impractical but incredibly cool
Can't come soon enough.
>>
>>13826815
>america has space warships

I think we'd notice them
>>
>>13827026

See the problem is your assumption that a race that is technologically advanced in space travel is also as psychotically violent as we are.
>>
>>13832730
How would a race that isn't engineered reach the point of space travel without being psychotically violent? Only thing I can imagine is a hivemind to achieve UNDERSTANDING or skipping the natural part and make your next generation perfect, non-violent beings that care only for something totally dumb.
>>
>>13832739
>How would a race that isn't engineered reach the point of space travel without being psychotically violent

It's entirely possibly they lived on a planet so rich with resources that fighting over them was unnecesary.

Or that their cultural/racial/whatever issues were stomped out eons ago by one tribe conquering the whole world and converting all to their culture.

Or they were uplifted, or had contact with another culture that they traded with and thus necesitated the creation of space vessels for better trade.

Or their ships are organics that can survive in a vacuum.
>>
>>13832753
>Or their ships are organics that can survive in a vacuum.
Even the seemingly-indestructible water bears can only survive around 10 days in space.
>>
>>13832739
You're overestimating how much is linked to culture. Humans are inherently violent over the smallest things because our pituitary gland is larger than most species, which causes behavioral issues.
>>
>>13832753
>It's entirely possibly they lived on a planet so rich with resources that fighting over them was unnecessary.
Which means that there is no point to evolution.
>Or that their cultural/racial/whatever issues were stomped out eons ago by one tribe conquering the whole world and converting all to their culture.
The act of converting all their culture forcibly is probably a sign that something's still in there deep down but I guess it could happen. Extremely unlikely that the ruling class would create peace though.
>Or they were uplifted, or had contact with another culture that they traded with and thus necessitated the creation of space vessels for better trade.
So, being engineered. Trade one doesn't make sense.
>Or their ships are organics that can survive in a vacuum.
Has nothing to do with a race evolving nonviolently.

Evolution involves violence. No way around it.
>>
>>13826828
>don't they recruit astronauts out of the uniformed services anyway?

Yup. A lot of astronauts are drawn from the air force, so there would be a few folks referred to as 'officer' among them, which was what the guy in OP's article says he found out. Not that much of a surprise, really.
>>
>>13832764
What? That's what I just said. You had to be violent to succeed for millions of years, or profit off of the back of violence. Humans are great at it so we succeeded. Otherwise we wouldn't have put so much brainpower into things to beat each other or things to destroy the unknown, which ended up benefitting us in other ways by chance. We didn't invent things like radar or GPS or planes for fun.
>>
>>13826815
Can't wait for some Flying Islamic Space State to construct their own ship from the orbital debris.
>>
when can i sign up to join the space navy
>>
>>13832767
>Trade one doesn't make sense.

Look up the cargo cults. They want more.

>Which means that there is no point to evolution.

Most resources are inherently useless up until a certain point in a culture's technology level. Only food and good shelter is really needed for biological evolution. But once they get to that level, having a lot of iron doesn't mean they're going to turn that iron into blades.

>Has nothing to do with a race evolving nonviolently.

You don't need a high technological level if going into space involves just flying in a leviathan.

Hell, I dislike the idea that aliens inherently have to even think like us. It feels like a weakness of science fiction that aliens have to act like us or in a way we understand. That the way species evolve on our planet works the same with every planet, or that they stay that way.
>>
>>13832806
>Look up the cargo cults. They want more.
Violence on a civilization-wide level is just a manifestation of how the individual thinks. Fear of differences, fear of the unknown, habit-forming patterns, resisting change, etc. are all observable on a micro and macro scale. This includes violence, which is a result of dealing with competition. If there is not a reason for competition, there is no reason to evolve, so they would never reach a state of higher thinking where one can think in the long-term, make tools that make tools that make tools, or generally act civilized. They'd stay as plants that live to reproduce once or twice before dying. If they reach the state where they can understand cargo cults then they've already gone through the process. Not that cargo cults make any sense for a civilization to go from zero to space-age in anything less than several thousand years, unless you were giving them spaceships too.
>Most resources are inherently useless up until a certain point in a culture's technology level. Only food and good shelter is really needed for biological evolution. But once they get to that level, having a lot of iron doesn't mean they're going to turn that iron into blades.
I don't see what you're saying. A race would undo whatever properties put it on the top of a food chain once they master food and shelter? Those concepts are ingrained in us. They cannot be removed.
>Has nothing to do with a race evolving nonviolently.You don't need a high technological level if going into space involves just flying in a leviathan.
There are a billion things about space that make it hard to navigate. If a magic space whale lands every ten years and takes it to a random other planet then it's hardly space travel. More like an abduction.
>>
File: 1439503946302.jpg (152KB, 640x720px) Image search: [Google]
1439503946302.jpg
152KB, 640x720px
>>13826815
>America has plans for a space warship
>Curiosity rover is actually in the Canadian Arctic
Pick one
>>
>>13832853
>Violence on a civilization-wide level is just a manifestation of how the individual thinks. Fear of differences, fear of the unknown, habit-forming patterns, resisting change, etc. are all observable on a micro and macro scale.

Again, because you're comparing them to the mentality of earth beings. You're comparing them to us and other animals. You're being like Star Trek where everything is a variation of us.

You're telling me that every species in the universe thinks like that, we already know how everything works? Because I sure as don't assume that, and you don't have powers of vision that I do not. For all we know they're a species made of pure crytal that think through sound.
>>
>>13832901
>>13832901
I was going to agree with that part but I ran out of space and said fuck it. However for story purposes it is hard to empathize with what is essentially a force of nature. A race of space crystals would probably ignore us and we would ignore them because we don't qualify it as life and they probably don't have a reason to interact with other beings. Space is different and crazy for sure but I think that if something gets to space and uses spacecraft then it will be very much like us. The universe follows certain laws, and while we don't understand all of them, some are just logic.
>>
>>13832925
>A race of space crystals would probably ignore us

But we make such interesting sound with our music.
>>
>>13832935
>music
>travelling through a vaccuum

That being said, CRYSTALS! LISTEN TO OUR SONG!
>>
>>13832955
>Their method of showing appreciation is to aggressively assimilate with you

Oh, shit.
Thread posts: 68
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.