[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this show basically Gundam without Gundams? >Vaguely evil

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 13

File: 1453370254357.jpg (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1453370254357.jpg
2MB, 1920x1080px
Is this show basically Gundam without Gundams?

>Vaguely evil Earth Federation that drains space colonies for ressources and treats them like shit
>Spacers want independence
>zero g
>spacebattleships with turrets
>Aeolia Schenberg invents superdrive and rides away
>Gundam tier names
>>
>>13778095
How the books compare to the tv show?

Or should I pirate the bay for the episodes ?
>>
>>13778126
Haven't read the books but the show is really good. just pirate bay.
>>
why do you fucking niggers keep making off topic threads on /m/ and saying "is this sorta like"
just fuck off to the board intended for that discussion
>>
File: expanse.webm (3MB, 720x404px) Image search: [Google]
expanse.webm
3MB, 720x404px
>>
>>13778144
spaceships are /m/, kamen rider is /m/,madoka is /m/ GTFO
>>
>>13778095

Not really. Aside from few battles it hasn't much in terms of action and the first part is actually 60% detective story. By the second season it should gravitate around scientific stuff. There is a war in the books, but it would need a season 5 to get there. However rating are bad atm and i doubt that we'll see a third season. The show was renewed for a second season practically from the start but SyFi channel overstimated the appeal of the series.
>>
>>13778144
Hear hear. I don't get why there's a need to put such a thread here.

>>13778444
There still should be a limit somewhere.
>>
>>13778095
>Vaguely evil Earth Federation that drains space colonies for ressources and treats them like shit
How is that anything like Gundam?
>>
>>13778506
>There still should be a limit somewhere.
Yeah, we totally need to get rid of LOGH from /m/. They spent an entire episode one supply lines and food production. That shit doesn't belong on /m/ ;^)
>>
>>13778095
I honestly want to like this but I know Syfy or whatever they are calling themselves now will just cancel it after it fails to achieve the retarded amount of viewer they want
>>
>>13778126
The books are good. But there are some serious plot twists that the show hasn't gotten to yet, so you might not want to read them if you want to keep the suspense. There's a scene early in the first book that foreshadows it pretty heavily, but they cut it out of the show, so you're almost certainly not expecting it.
>>
>>13778551
There was that whole thing about the Federation forcing the majority of humanity into space while the privileged and elite members of society remained on Earth, ruling the Sides from afar.

Hell, just look at the Federations reactions to Laplace's Box in Unicorn.
>>
>Earth Federation
>Evil
>>
>>13779227
That sounds like a lot of fucking sci-fi. More than just Gundam.
>>
>>13779227
Earth elites ruling space is a common plot device. In almost every story with planetary colonization that is the situation.
>>
>>13778965
Are there many differences so far? What do you feel is the better version of the story?
>>
>>13779227

Actually Mars is the top dog and Earth is politically equal only because they use food supplies as a bargain chip. Both the superpowers keep the spacers of the asteroid belt under oppression to harvest mineral resources. However the true enemy of the first part is a different faction and they are a big disappointment.
>>
>>13779485
Jovians?
>>
>>13779527
A stereotypical evil corporation. Practically Umbrella in space.
>>
>>13778126
They are alright. Quick reads. Some good Hard SciFi elements.

The downsides for me were a main character who annoys me and some pretty glaring plot holes/ magic bullshit
>>
>>13778095
No Iron Blooded Orphans is Gundam without Gundams
>>
File: TheExpanse_gallery_ConceptArt_14.jpg (144KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
TheExpanse_gallery_ConceptArt_14.jpg
144KB, 1200x900px
>>13778095
It's not, but what it IS is a fucking awesome show.

I've just started the books.
>>
>>13780186
They cast everyone 20 years too young, but whatever that's TV for you.
>>
>>13779485
>>13779485
I swear they made so many terrible mistakes in their BBEG plan you have to wonder if someone wasn't pulling the strings to make them fail.
>>
>>13780208
>Everyone

What? Miller is definitely too young, but Holden and Company seems about the right age. Avasarala is cast by the perfect fucking person to do the job. Only question I have is who they're going to find for Bobbie when they get to book two.
>>
>>13780896
Holden looks too baby face to me. He's supposed to be mid-30's right? She's doing a great job playing the role but she doesn't look like she's in her 70's.

So minor it doesn't matter.

Miller is waaay too young though. They'll probably get Michael Pena to play Bobbie.
>>
File: expanse2.webm (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
expanse2.webm
3MB, 1920x1080px
>>
>>13780936
Holden does look a little baby face, but he also does look like the kind of guy who before settling down with Naomi had a string of relationships thanks to his pretty-boy looks. What "pretty boy looks" means depends on who you ask, which is the problem.

Shohreh Aghdashloo, who plays Avasarala and is also on my rather short list of women I'd pay to read me the phone book, is 63. So she's all of ten years younger than the role.

You... do remember who Bobbie is, right? The Martian Marine from the second book? Bare minimum, we need a girl here. The uncomfortable sexual tension between her and Holden was the funniest fucking part of that book and you can't do it with a guy.
>>
>>13780980
Oh I remember Bobbie she was far more likeable than Holden in mere moments. Same goes for Bull I liked Bull shame about that. Anyways I'm saying the way they love to throw any "ethnic minority" role to Pena they would do that recast. It was a joke. Honestly are there any giant Samoan or Polynesian actresses who are shredded and large rather than just genetically large and chunky.
>>
File: 1424992947070.jpg (69KB, 640x525px) Image search: [Google]
1424992947070.jpg
69KB, 640x525px
Is it really good, though? I've seen this described as 'the best SF TV series since Firefly' and keep walking because all of Whedonshit is ridiculous meme trash.
>>
>>13781120
Did everyone forget how good the first season or two of Battle Star Galactica was? I mean that happened too. There are so few good SciFi shows, but there is more than Firefly.
>>
>>13781120
While I agree with you about just about every other show Joss Whedon worked on, Firefly was better because he actually had to make a universe instead of HURR DURR POP CULTURE REFERENCES, AREN'T THESE PEOPLE WITH SUPERPOWERS SO RELATABLE and what he came up with was entertaining.

But anyway, here's the first fucking episode of the series. Judge for yourself, man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Lqz_oEWZEU
>>
>>13779227
>while the privileged and elite members of society remained on Earth, ruling the Sides from afar.

In 0079 4 billion people lived on the Earth. I find it hard to believe that there are 4 billion privileged and elite members of society living on Earth.
>>
>>13781267
>Firefly was better because he actually had to make a universe

You mean because he was fortunate enough to rip off Outlaw Star.
>>
>>13778095
I vaguely recall being interested in this when I heard about it.
>>
>>13781346
They are, because Japan has no land. Remember, Kai says

>Just having a house on Earth means you're an elite!

Because there are 11 billion people living in space colonies, who, according to popular liberal history teachers in the colonies, were forced off the Earth to live there. That's why Zeon rises up.
>>
File: 1453365974227.gif (494KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1453365974227.gif
494KB, 500x375px
>>13781366
>Outlaw Star invented space westerns
>>
>>13781366

I'm usually on /tg/, and trust me, he ripped off Traveller. Hell he even said it in an interview one time. The entire show is the story of a crew of middle aged people who had mid-life crises and piled into a 200dTon Free Trader and spend most of the time trading and doing petty crime to make the payments to keep the ship flying.

And I still give him credit for it because ripping off an RPG from the 70's because it's more creative than anything he's done before or since.
>>
>>13781409
Wasn't The Foundation the first Space Western to really be popular?
>>
Is the plot to the book the same as the show?
>>
>>13781409
You're right. It was Cowboy Bebop.
>>
>>13781746

Mostly. They changed few things like the Belters looking like normal humans (after generations living in a low gravity environment they had enlongated arms and legs and noticeable bigger heads) and other minor details.
>>
>>13780621

My guess is that the author realized how well the setting was coming along. Killing off the generic bad guys (seriously, they are the worst kind of losers and they wouldn't be out of place in an Austin Powers adventure. and focus on the politics between Earth, Mars and the Belters was the best course of action.
>>
>>13781409
I guess you are just blind so I will elaborate further even though I shouldn't have too. There are several scenes that are a direct copy of outlaw star, like the scene with River/Melfina in the suitcase. There are several more that I can point out, but I fail to see the point since firefly fans are even more rabid and delusional than arrested development fans. If Outlaw Star was an american cartoon Whedon would have gotten the pants sued off of him.
>>
>>13781896
River is different from Melfina in several significant ways. For example Melfina is a likable character.
>>
>>13781974
>Joss "I'm still writing for Roseanne" Whedon
>likable character
pick one and only one
>>
>>13781874
Authors not Author, and from the prologue of the first book BBEG has already made terrible choices.
>>
>>13778095
How is it Gundam when it's a general sci-fi setup? Read a book for crying out loud.
>>
>>13781120
Did you even watch Firefly or are you just dismissing it because Whedon?
>>
>>13781896
The problem with this argument is that you're referencing at most one scene. Second, Outlaw Star didn't invent Westerns or the Chinese. Third, he fucking said he was inspired by an RPG he played in college.

http://www.faqoverflow.com/scifi/13668.html
>>
>>13780980
Shohreh Aghdashloo is a fuckin beast. She's so good that even her pitifully tiny number of lines in Destiny made me interested in her character

https://youtu.be/2D5vGPUmMxU?t=1m17s
>>
File: spaceboy.png (89KB, 600x318px) Image search: [Google]
spaceboy.png
89KB, 600x318px
>>13781120
Look, it's at least better than Firefly

Firefly was an okay show that got insufferable because of its fans and worshipped for being far better than it actually was.
>>
>>13781870
actually they show at least a few examples of this in the show, just maybe not HUGE heads
>>
>>13781986
Some of his characters can manage to be endearing occasionally. Never River though. Good grief, how the fuck did he think that mess of a character was a good idea?

>>13783038
>Firefly was an okay show that got insufferable because of its fans and worshipped for being far better than it actually was.
That happens a lot. New Dr. Who, Battlestar, Game of thrones, etc.
>>
File: 1452025112452.webm (3MB, 720x404px) Image search: [Google]
1452025112452.webm
3MB, 720x404px
>>13781120
I'm enjoying a lot and it's a shame because I expect it to be canceled like every Sci-Fi TV show that I like.
>>
>>13780980
>Shohreh Aghdashloo
She's 63? I just looked at her wikipedia article, hit damn she has aged well.
>>
>>13782640
>The problem with this argument is that you're referencing at most one scene.
That's like... the extent of /m/'s arguments on who rips off who.
>>
>>13783949
On a scale of Defiance to Battlestar Galactica, where does it stand as a SyFy show? Usually I'm wary of anything from that channel.
>>
File: captain_zeon.jpg (72KB, 522x711px) Image search: [Google]
captain_zeon.jpg
72KB, 522x711px
>>13778095
>Spacers want independence
>zero g
>spacebattleships with turrets
>Minovsky invents superdrive and rides away
I wish we got Captain Zeon with this premise.
>>
>>13781120
I'm primarily interested in it because it got the "Atomic Rocket Seal of Approval" from projectrho.com

Anything that gets the Seal is usually worth looking at. If writers are willing to remember the coriolis effect, delta v counts, logical spaceship plans, wet mass vs dry mass etc then they are likely to be competent and detail oriented writers, and I will likely enjoy their stories.

Still waiting to check it out, but I'm eager
>>
File: tumblr_n1irvtDDFH1rldu1jo1_1280.jpg (283KB, 1280x1740px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n1irvtDDFH1rldu1jo1_1280.jpg
283KB, 1280x1740px
>>13785104
> because it got the "Atomic Rocket Seal of Approval" from projectrho.com
Damn Right. I wish I could BUY the series already to show my support.

I think we are living a new SPACE FICTION golden age.

> Video game :
KSP
Star Citizen
Elite Dangerous
Take On Mars
Rogue System (I bet you don't even know how real this one hope to be)
Planet Base
Tharsis
(and those were the ones with a minimal level of realism)
Fractured Space
Homeworld 2R
Interstellar Rift
...+ thing I snob

> Movie/Series
The Expanse
The Martian
Gravity
Interstellar

Also not counting the "SF" one which don't go in space (Pacific Rim and Edge of Tomorrow were surprisingly good)
Still probably missing some.

Anyway, feel good.
>>
>>13779259
Belters are the worst.
>>
>>13781482
Foundation is Gibbon's Rise and Fall of Roman Empire in space.
Yer thinking of Princess of Mars, aka John Carter Barsoom series, also Lensmen, Flash Godon and Buck Rogers.
>>
That scene was taken, but that's more anime pulp imagery then anything, Outlaw Star is a B grade show for casual scum, there is nothing unique or original it created that wasn't done better in other media and older anime, 90's kid.
>>
>>13786670
Still better than Firefly, you so mad forgot to reply to the proper post faggot?
>>
>>13781120

Dark Matter is a better Firefly than Firefly.
>>
File: 1453503020278.jpg (54KB, 460x468px) Image search: [Google]
1453503020278.jpg
54KB, 460x468px
>>13786746
Dark Matter is Firefly w/o any personality or humor, or fun.
>>
>>13778126
I like the books better than the show.
The show's alright, and shaping up to be pretty decent I find, but they just threw out a few details which rustled me, and changed a few things around with the plot.
Biggest complaint though is that the martians power armor was basically hockey gear over leather pants. They spent all this money on random effects, and couldn't shell out some cash to make them look like the indestructible metal colossi they described in the books.
>>
>>13781103

Shit, Bobbie is gonna be damn hard to cast accurately. I almost say Jimmy Snuka's daughter but she's too short and thick.
>>
>>13786239

Buy the books at least, they're worth it.
>>
>>13787653
Need to find the female version of Jason Mamoa or The Rock.
>>
>>13785001
better than Battlestar imo
>>
>>13785001
I'm going to second better than Battlestar Galactica. I'd put it up there with Babylon 5.
>>
>>13790571
Really? You'd go that far? Shit, maybe I should check it out too. I fucking love B5, if this show's even near that I ought to get a kick out of it.
>>
>>13790597
Imagine if Babylon 5 was made with today's level of CG and production budgets. I'm still impressed in rewatching Babylon 5 on DVD that the ancient CG from then still holds up. Sure the textures and polys are low from 20 years ago but you never get an uncanny valley feeling from Newtonian WWI fighters and carriers in space.

The Expanse is grittier but then again when wasn't a trip to Narn, Mars or the Brown sectors in B5? You'd be on edge too slowboating around. That's where most of the conflict comes from. The Expanse setting hasn't transitioned to the larger neighborhood where people are still people and you don't have replicators but there is a lot less tension.
Thread posts: 76
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.