[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey guys, so I've been out of the super robot loop for a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 3

File: images (1).jpg (16KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
images (1).jpg
16KB, 300x168px
Hey guys, so I've been out of the super robot loop for a couple years now. Love the shit out of super robots and I've been on a kamen rider binge for the last couple years. Last thing I watched was Star Driver, and it was alright. Was wondering which are your personal fav series and what I should check out. My list of things I've seen:
-Giant Robo
-Fighter G Gundam
-Shin Mazinger
-all the Getter Robo ovas
-Daiguard
-Evangelion
-the newer gaiking series(I hated it)
-the 2008 Tetsujin 28
-Gurren Lagann
-Big O
-Gunbuster

I heard Turn A Gundam and gaogaigar are pretty good.
>>
>>13730954
>the newer gaiking series(I hated it)
>>
>>13730977

I distinclty remember a scene where a lizard man has the main character prisoner and they're walking him down a hall. He does the classic 'whats behind you move' and the lizard guy falls for it. He looks back after the main character is running away down the hall and just stares at him like his bosses are going to kill him for fucking up so bad.

It was such a stupid nonsensical scene and I laughed for about an hour at how dumb it was.
>>
>>13730954
Giant Robo and Tetsujin 28 aren't "super robots".

They're just OG bots.
>>
>>13731144
Tetsujin and Giant Robo are arguably more super robot than Getter is. They're superheroes based on the earliest models.
>>
>>13732992
Ryoma and Hayato are superheroes too, they just happen to be psychopaths. More so for Hayato, but Ryoma's still pretty fucked up.
>>
>>13730954
Zeorymer
Kotetsushin Jeeg
Getter Manga
Mazinkaiser
>>
>>13733332
They're not really heroes of justice or anything. They're mostly decent people, but they're fighting because dinosaurs are assholes, not because of the greater good. I mean, they want to protect humanity from dinosaurs, but they're not moralfags about it.
>>
>>13730954
-pure super robot shows:
GunXSword (thanks for reminding me mattman)
Gravion/Gravion Zwei
Mazinkaiser
Kotetsushin Jeeg

-real robotish but straddling the line and altogether worth a shot:
Majestic Prince
Buddy Complex
Knights of Sidonia
Eureka Seven

-"toy robot" subgenre (also hotblood as all hell):
Gundam Build Fighters
Medarot
Danball Senki

also not an anime but Demonbane (the first visual novel) is one of the last great super robot series imho.
>>
>>13733332
The old Getter psychopath meme, one deeply ingrained into /m/ culture. Always fun to see
>>
>>13730954
GaoGaiGar is excellent, my friend. You need to weather some MotW episodes before it gets great, but if you're familiar with kamen rider it's nothing you can't handle. Watch it NOW.
>>
>>13733614
There's nothing wrong with MotW though. That being said, GGG is subpar at the best of times and is not worth watching. It's one of those series that's better in something like SRW than it actually is.
>>
>>13733339
>>13733599

I;ve actually read pretty much all of the based Getter manga, and I've seen Mazinkaiser, but aside from that haven't seen any of this stuff. I've been interested in checking out Jeeg actually. I remember watching some clips from one of the newer shows years ago and it looked hotblooded as fuck. Any particular good place to start?
>>
>>13733609
Hayato's literally a terrorist and the most pragmatic and heartless character in all of Getter. He has humanity's best interests at heart but he didn't even flinch when he sent fiancee to her most likely death.

Ryoma's a bit more mellow but he still didn't have a proper childhood and was instead raised by his dad whose training practically tortured him. Even 15 years after G his first response to a messenger from Hayato is to beat the shit out of him.
>>
>>13733614
>>13733667

I'm probably gonna watch GGG, thanks guys. After all the sentai and rider shit I've gone through monster of the week stuff is my bag. For everyone who complains about that shit I'd like to point out X-Files only redeeming quality was it's fun as fuck monster of the week antics.
>>
>>13733609
I never come to /m/ but the impression I got out of Getter was that all of the pilots were mentally unstable to the point they were dangerous to humanity when they weren't piloting a fuckhuge mech to kill every alien that moved.
>>
>>13733673
The Kotetsushin Jeeg OVA is all that's been translated unless you count Super Robot Retsuden

It's worth a watch, but don't expect anything mindblowing since you've already seen all the other modern Dynamic Pro stuff. It's technically a sequel to the original series as well, but it's also kind of an alternate continuity and basically a really big headache. I didn't need to watch the original to understand anything, though, and I've been told it's very different in tone to the original show anyway. The protagonist is a total perv though, just a heads up.

I'd also day read what's translated of Shin Mazinger ZERO. That manga is something special, for better or worse.
>>
>>13733687
Nah, they're pretty calm guys. And thinking they would be dangerous to humanity is comical to the point that I'd almost think you're joking, though unfortunately I'm sure you're not
>>
>>13733705
I'd put my money on for the worse. Really for the worse.
>>
>>13733708
Personally I fucking love it. It's the exact combination of dumbass schlock, shameless fanservice, hilarious edge and the occasional really awesome moment I like
>>
>>13733706
Didn't Hayato start off as an insane terrorist that they blackmailed into piloting Getter?
>>
>>13733738
Hayato is pretty crazy initially but Ryoma was a pretty decent guy once you got past his rough exterior. Honestly I'm not that big a fan of Hayato's intro scene because it paints a massively different impression of the character from what you end up getting. He is supposed to be a calm and collected guy with a bit of rough side to contrast to Ryoma's hot-blooded attitude but he just comes off as crazy as fuck in his intro scene
>>
>>13733738
They didn't blackmail him. He realized that piloting the Getter was a far better use of his time and talents than the podunk shit he was doing before. I wouldn't really call him insane either
>>
>>13733599
You may as well add Fafner in the toe-the-line section.
>>
>>13730954
>No Brave
Yeah, you should definitely get on Gao Gai Gar, and if you like it, most of the franchise has subs so you should check out the older titles like Da Garn and Might Gaine.
>>
>>13732992
>Tetsujin and Giant Robo are arguably
There's nothing to argue.

The first time the term super robot was ever mentioned was in Mazinger Z's OP.

Anything before that doesn't qualify.
>>
File: tetsujin.jpg (135KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
tetsujin.jpg
135KB, 1024x768px
>>13734851
That is obviously stupid...
the word Cyberpunk was coined in 1984 but even Sterling think that Philip K. Dick wrote some of the best.
And what do you think about Akira, drawn in 1982?

Tetsujin 28 and Giant Robo are Super Robots because they share and behave similarly to Super Heroes
>>
>>13734991
Time to get ready for the good old what is Super and what is Real "debate"
>>
>>13734991
Mazinger was called super robot because he had super weapons.

Tetsujin 28th only has kick, punches, rockets, and at most, it's a nuclear bomb. Same for Giant Robo.

Therefore, they're anything, but super robots.
>>
>>13734991
>behave similarly to Super Heroes
Except it's been established in the series that Tetsujin 28th is a ww2 weapon leftover, and not some superhero.

Tetsujin is actually a real robot.
>>
>>13734851
Absolutely correct, sir. And since "real robot" wasn't coined before SRW, anything before SRW can't possibly be real robot either.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to watch my favorite super robot show, Armored Trooper VOTOMS.
>>
>>13735300
Agreed.

Chirico was essentially super man.
>>
>>13735300
>And since "real robot" wasn't coined before SRW
That's actually false. Gundam used the term before SRW.

However, super and real were nothing more than marketing terms. Super was used for Mazinger to make it seem different from Tetsujin and Real was used by Gundam to differentiate it from Mazinger clones.
>>
>>13735295
Captain America is a WW2 weapon leftover too, and he is counted amongst superheroes.

I agree that Tetsujin is not a super robot actually, but your reasoning is wrong. Super robots are piloted.
>>
>>13736323
I guess the Transformers and Braves just get grouped in with the Real Robots then, hunh? I've got to spread the gospel about how Goldymarg is the bastion of hard scifi and realism.
>>
>>13736337
>Goldymarg has AI and can hold a hammer
>Gundam Unicorn can become God
>>
>>13736337
>hurr durr absolutes.
Not everything has to fit into your two categories, Sith.
>>
>>13736350
But Jedi are more about absolutes you gay space catholics
>>
>>13736323
>>13735295
Obviously, Tetsujin is automatically a Neutral/Super Robot (even though it's not cockpit-piloted) since Gundam is considered the "first Real Robot" by many
>>
>>13736337
Hard sci-fi and realism have nothing to do with whether something is RR or not; verisimilitude does
>>
>>13734991

I tend to feel super robots have their own conscious mind. They're self aware. Tetsujin and Giant Robo both have their own personalities. I think that's the major difference between super and real in my mind. I don't really care if they're real robots, they're super because they're loveable lugs.
>>
>>13737275
That's really stupid and you are really stupid for thinking it
>>
>>13737289

Well, thanks I guess. I love you too.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.