[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Kamen Rider: Where to start

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 10

File: Kamen_Rider.jpg (862KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Kamen_Rider.jpg
862KB, 1024x768px
Sup /m/, guy from /co/ here. I want to start watching Kamen Rider but I don't know where to start, is there a watching list or something? Right now I'm downloading Dragon Knight because I'm not accustomed to seeing movies/series with an all asian cast, is DK any good?

Thanks
>>
>>13721885
you should just watch ghost, its the best kamen rider series so far.

everything else is irrelevant.
>>
>>13721912
It's the one that's currently airing? What about the others? I saw a bunch of cool webms and I don't think that they're all from Ghost. What about the movies?
>>
>>13721885
Just look up a synopsis or some pictures, then try one out that sounds or looks cool.

If you're unsure about getting in to Karate Bugman, try out Kamen Rider ZO. Paper-thin plot and characters, but it distills the essence of cool sfx and man in bug suit fight for justice.
>>
Honestly Black RX is one of the only ones you can't really start with since it's a direct sequel.

V3 is good for oldschool stuff, Black too. They have the advantage of being fully subbed as well. For Heisei, most people recommend starting since Double.

>Right now I'm downloading Dragon Knight because I'm not accustomed to seeing movies/series with an all asian cast

You never watched Godzilla movies?

>is DK any good?

It's...watchable. I mean there's nothing godawful about it, it's just kinda bland and generic.
>>
>>13721941
Oh and only really use the subgroup TV-Nihon as a last result. Their video quality is shit and their translations read very stiff and literal, especially for non-weebs.
>>
>>13721950
with Double*
>>
>>13721885
What the fuck, if you want to try getting into KR don't start with Dragon Knight man.
I'd recommend W or Kabute, even if those aren't the best shows they're the best to start with in my opinion. Oh, and maybe Gaim.
>>
>>13721950
Ok, I'll download black and then rx and I'll go from there. Thanks Antoine.

>You never watched Godzilla movies?
I've never cared about Godzilla
>>
>>13721885
You would probably hate it since none of the characters are socially correct and the show themselves are sexist.
>>
>>13721885
>Right now I'm downloading Dragon Knight because I'm not accustomed to seeing movies/series with an all asian cast, is DK any good?
The fuck are you doing? That's like wanting to watch Sentai but you download Power Rangers instead. Dammit OP!
>>
>>13721950
>After being kidnapped by the cult Gorgom on the night of their 19th birthday, stepbrothers Kotaro Minami and Nobuhiko Akizuki were submitted to a cyborg surgery with the purpose of becoming the candidates for the next Gorgom Creation King. Both of them are called Century Kings and are destined to best each other in a final battle - whoever wins will become the next Creation King. Kotaro escaped before getting brainwashed (which is the final step in the surgery), with help from his foster father, and turned against Gorgom.

This sounds like the craziest shit and I love it
>>
>>13722165

Read the manga too while watching it for the full experience.
>>
>>13721885
I would personally say watch Drive because
it's a great show with a likeable cast, great music and an ending that kicks you in the fucking heart. It's apparently also a good place to start from the last time I saw one of these threads.

I'm currently on Ghost, it's good too.
>>
File: rider punch.jpg (363KB, 930x1386px) Image search: [Google]
rider punch.jpg
363KB, 930x1386px
Black --> Black RX.

70's Kamen Riders = old shit.
Post-2000 Kamen Riders = gay shit.
>>
>>13722346

Drive sucks
>>
>>13722397
>70's Kamen Riders = old shit.

Well yes, things from 40 years ago are kinda indisputably old.
>>
>>13722422
Hey, I liked it.
>>
>>13722112
I'll download black and then rx and I'll go from there.
You have chosen well.
>>
>>13721885
You can start with pretty much any of the Heisei era series. I started with Faiz, but I think Kuuga, Agito, Ryuki, Blade or W are good choices too. If you don't care to watch riders that are more gadget-driven and childish overall, start with any of the post-W.

Black is awesome, but I wouldn't recommend it as the first rider serie to anyone.
>>
>>13721885
>Watching Toei's dreck
>not reading Ishinomori's original manga
>>
>>13721885
Dragon Knight is not terrible, but it's definitely more mediocre than you should settle for.

I recommend going to Over-Time's site at over-ti.me and starting with Kamen Rider W, then working your way forward. The only bad show you'll encounter along the way is Wizard, which you can safely skip. As you go you can start going back and checking out some of the older shows, many of which are good as well but obviously will suffer from dated special effects.

At any point along your journey, maybe once you've finished at least one other show, you can start watching Ghost. It won't take long to catch up, and then you can join in the weekly stream threads when new episodes come out.
>>
>>13724753
>Not doing both
Pleb
>>
>>13724775
This. Wizard is not actually bad, but it is very by the numbers. Every once in a while I'd suggest to check the first episode of some heisei or showa series, whatever catches your fancy. You never know what you might end up liking.

As far as I've seen Ghost is absymal. Story, characters, design, there isn't a single redeemable quality. I can't understand how /m/ can like it but whatever, your mileage, etc. All I know is I've watched kr weekly since 2009 and this is the first year I'm struggling to do it.
>>
>>13727810
>Ghost
>Abysmal design

Everything else I can agree with but fuck you the hoodies are based.
>>
>>13722491
You like Ghost too. That says enough
>>
>>13722397
hue hue please leave
>>
>>13727810
As someone who *actually* likes Wizard, I admit it's very by the book, but I don't think its skipworthy.

It is very well made in terms of costumes and fight choreography though. Wizard's stunts are great and *almost* make up for the CG monster fights.
>>
>>13721930
Don't bother watching the movies, they're all connected to specific series so they won't really make sense apart.
>>
>>13727825
Ok, I stand corrected, the suit designs are neat. It's just hard to appreciate them when the characters in and around them are so aggressively shitty. And the monster designs are too damn garish, they're not even kr silly, they're sentai silly.

Anyway OP, when you'll have a few series under your belt, be sure not to miss Kuuga and Agito. It's the best the franchise has to offer.
>>
File: Tetsuo-Kurata-2015.jpg (388KB, 878x741px) Image search: [Google]
Tetsuo-Kurata-2015.jpg
388KB, 878x741px
>>13727839
Anon who watches tokushit almost 30 years later, using subtitles and never saw a rider in person, stop the mimimi...
>>
>>13727810
Ghost started off really bad, but I've personally grown on it more and more over the first ten weeks. The characters stopped being such one-note caricatures, the plot showed up and got moving, and I'm legit interested in seeing what the deal is with Aran and the rest of the Ganma. Takeru shaped up as a character pretty quick, we actually got to see the villain succeed in killing someone for an Eyecon, and the breakneck pacing of the first few episodes slowed down to something much more comfortable. I would say Billy the Kid is the first pretty good episode of Ghost and it's kept getting better ever since.
>>
>>13727810

It's much better than Drive so far.
>>
>>13728353
I don't know if I'd go that far, but I thought Drive was fantastic. Still, Ghost is shaping up to be pretty solid. I'll probably rank it about the same as OOO in the end if this keeps up; not quite top tier, but still better than a lot of the dreck we got pre-Decade.
>>
>>13728358
Kill yourself.
>>
>>13728363
Are you seriously saying you'd rather watch Faiz, Kabuto, Kiva, Decade, the second half of Hibiki, or Den-O than Ghost? Den-O is the fucking epitome of one-joke characters. Akari at her most "muh science" wishes she could be as one-note as the Imagin.

We got a couple of good shows pre-Decade. Kuuga, Agito and Blade are all great. But we also got a lot of real shit, and Ghost is not on that level of bad.
>>
>>13728416
>Faiz, Kabuto, Kiva, Decade, the second half of Hibiki, or Den-O
Those are all way better than Drive or OOO, Ghost also seem like it is going to be much better than those two shitty shows.
>>
>>13728416
Comparing just the first 12 episodes, Faiz, Kabuto, and Den-O were all better than Ghost.
>>
File: 1438586078102.png (85KB, 300x298px) Image search: [Google]
1438586078102.png
85KB, 300x298px
If you want a good starter series I'd go with Kuuga. Of everything I`ve watched I feel like it`s the best introductory series. It`s also my favourite rider series and a lot of people argue the best show to date.
>>
>>13728507
Twelve episodes into Kabuto we'd already been asked to forget that ZECT ever had the equipment they'd need to do their jobs, and it had become clear that Den-O did not and was never going to have a plot.
>>
File: RyutarosDEn-O-gun-1.png (392KB, 667x1023px) Image search: [Google]
RyutarosDEn-O-gun-1.png
392KB, 667x1023px
>>13728609
I'd trade plot for break dancing Ryutaros anyday.
>>
>>13728609
>plot is inherently a good thing
No, it is not.

And 12 episodes into Ghost we're told they'll be redoing the same old plot from the previous cour. What an improvement? Maybe it's just because I've read a lot of Marvel/DC comics, but resetting to the status quo does not feel like any plot progression to me.
>>
>>13728653
>Takeru literally did not lose any progress and only has three Eyecons to collect instead of a dozen
>no more victims of the week needing life hugs for Eyecons
>enemy factions have made themselves known

How is this redoing the same plot? What, because the main character whose powers literally depend on him being a ghost is somehow still a ghost? Color me fucking shocked.
>>
>>13728558
The guy has a distracting growth on his chin
>>
>>13728669
>plot of first twelve episodes is to gather all the eyecons so Takeru can be alive again
>plot afterwards is to gather all the eyecons so Takeru can be alive again
The general plot is still the same. And with the way the first cour was written I don't have much faith in the writing of this show. We'll see how this cour is going to end up with today's episode
>>
>>13728702
I'll give you a hint: the next arc isn't going to end with Takeru being alive either. When he gets his final form in the mid-thirties, he might come back to life then. You can't resolve the literally titular conflict of a fifty-episode show twelve episodes in.
>>
>>13728739
>You can't resolve the literally titular conflict of a fifty-episode show twelve episodes in.
You can. There is nothing saying you can't. It's called bringing in new conflicts and actual progress
>>
>>13728755
The show's brought in new conflicts, and even resolved a major one this arc with Makoto being won over to Takeru's side. It just hasn't resolved Takeru being a ghost because he'll lose his powers if he stops being a ghost.
>>
>>13729073
>Makoto being won over to Takeru's side
>he honestly believes that
>>
>>13729081
You know, you're right, there's no indication of that.
>>
>>13721885
When did the power Rangers get bug eyes?
>>
>>13729281
After they teamed up with Prince Dex
>>
File: image.jpg (50KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
50KB, 640x480px
>>13721953
>>
>>13727825
The suits in Ghost would actually be quite good if not for the hoodies. Hoodies are the cancer of fashion, your taste is abyssmal.
>>
stronger batch torrent fucking when
>>
>>13730519
>your taste is abysmal
>>
>>13730519
>The suits in Ghost would actually be quite bad if not for the hoodies
FTFY
>>
>>13730664
When Ghost ends, if we're lucky and Jeeg doesn't like the next series
>>
>>13731874
>For The Fuck You
?
>>
>>13722397
until 2010 it was gay shit
>>
>>13728682

You're a distracting growth you shit.
>>
>>13732215
Fixed That For You
>>
File: wakingupaniki.gif (306KB, 293x199px) Image search: [Google]
wakingupaniki.gif
306KB, 293x199px
>>13732692
Fuck you toku man
>>
>>13721885
My first Kamen Rider was Agito; I think that'd be a great choice. One of the few things I've seen that doesn't shit the bed with its mysteries at all.
>>
>>13732968
You are the worst tripfag since Clawshrimpy.
>>
File: 1422229302261.jpg (3MB, 1521x2115px) Image search: [Google]
1422229302261.jpg
3MB, 1521x2115px
Here's a summary image for you, op. This doesn't include Drive or Ghost, which came out after Gaim.
I usually suggest W or Fourze first, but watch what you think is the most interesting.

Probably been mentioned, but Dragon Knight uses suits from Kamen Rider Ryuki (one of my personal favorites) so many try that out. If you miss white people, watch Kuuga, which has one white guy.
>>
>>13732990
Agito is literally a sequel to Kuuga.
>>
>>13737388
They mention it like twice in the first episode and then they never make connections to it again. It shouldn't count as a sequel, instead it should just be different series set in the same world
>>
My first was Kabuto so I'd recommend that. Out of the more recent Heisei stuff I'd recommend OOO, Giam, and Drive. The protag of Wizard didn't do much for me.The protag of Fourze is Hot-Blooded; which I like, but others may not. W was good but I wouldn't watch it again. Stronger and Black would also be good places to start if you don't mind Showa era stuff.
>>
I need cool kamen rider poses.
Thread posts: 70
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.