[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So why has Sentai been so boring yet Rider has been pretty engaging?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 7

So why has Sentai been so boring yet Rider has been pretty engaging?
>>
>>13654350
Why are you trying to revive this old meme?
>>
>>13654290
Because you have terrible taste.
>>
>>13654386
How?
>>
>>13654394
you like tokushit
>>
>>13654421
How is that a bad thing?
>>
File: gokaidocdisgust.png (144KB, 270x315px) Image search: [Google]
gokaidocdisgust.png
144KB, 270x315px
>>13654421
>Using "tokushit" unironically
>>
File: 1424229166555.jpg (18KB, 308x120px) Image search: [Google]
1424229166555.jpg
18KB, 308x120px
>>13654350
>>13654386
>>13654421
EPIC NEVER SEEN THIS BEFORE XDDD
>>
>>13654290
Ultraman is a better franchise than both Sentai and Rider.
Fuck Toei.
>>
daily shitposting thread get in here bros
>>
>>13654447
But ultraman isn't toei
>>
>>13654290
Because Go-Busters scared Toei into not ever trying anything different with Sentai ever again.

Unlike Rider, Sentai has to pander to a younger audience of both boys and girls. Rider can get away with some more (comparatively) mature stuff since it's still effectively a boys-only club, and the smaller cast means that they have to diversify more with what they have. In Sentai, you have to try to make each member stand out differently so in theory it's more flexible, but in practice they have to take what works and stick with it (the red has to be the acknowledged leader, the pink has to be the girly girl, the yellow has to be the tomboy-ish girl, the blue has to be the cool-but-not-too-cool buddy, the green/black has to be the quirky guy, and so on).
>>
The pattern of the normal life character and using the final attack weapon against the single monster are very usual the same over and over again
>>
>>13654471
I loved when Boukenger played with that
>>
>>13654461
That's not what he was saying
>>
>>13654447
>Ultraman is a better franchise than both Sentai and Rider.
Ultraman has become hipster's choice to sentai and rider, just like sentai is to PR and toku is to anime.

And no, I like the three and Ultraman is definitely not better. It does have the best show NOW tho, but Ghost is starting.
>>
>>13654471
How about you actually bother to watch sentai instead of reading wikipedia and /m/ posts about it?

>Unlike Rider, Sentai has to pander to a younger audience of both boys and girls.
This has been proven false in an earlier thread. They are both for little kids.

>(the red has to be the acknowledged leader)
Both Takaharu and Right were very questioned and had to get more competent to win their places.

>the pink has to be the girly girl
This may be true, though Kasumi is definitely not a "girly girl" (compared to shitka at least)

> the yellow has to be the tomboy-ish girl
The current and next yellow not only arent even girls, but the only recent one who, sorta applies if you stretch it (a lot) is Mio.

> the blue has to be the cool-but-not-too-cool buddy
Only Yakumo and Joe are like that in recent years.

>the green/black has to be the quirky guy
>Hikari
>Souji
>quirky

I may give you Ian tho, but that's stretching it again.
>>
>>13656107
Should have gone with "toku isn't /m/" instead, mate.
>>
>>13656170
Just because it's hipster's choice doesnt mean it's not /m/.
>>
>>13656182
How is it hipster's choice?
>>
Different writers on average.

Plus there's the simple fact that with most rider series, you get 2 good guy riders to focus on. Sentai gives you a whole team you have to divide character development on.
>>
File: ikouze.jpg (261KB, 600x848px) Image search: [Google]
ikouze.jpg
261KB, 600x848px
>>13656494
>Sentai gives you a whole team you have to divide character development on.

Thats about 6-ish characters but the teams are the only ones who actually get development in sentai. In Rider even people who don't fight get development.
>>
Sentai- ranbow fags in spandex
Rider- Kick-Ass before Kick-Ass
Both- NOT /m/ REEEEEEEEE
>>
So i just finished ryuki and I alredy watched OOO , and had a bit of Go-busters and im rooting for this writter, its samurai sentai similar to these?
>>
File: toku is m.jpg (13KB, 852x76px) Image search: [Google]
toku is m.jpg
13KB, 852x76px
>>13657037
>>
>>13657211
I heard Shinkenger is pretty good, actually.
>>
>>13657223
Let's ask Moot
>>
>>13657254
NO
>>
>>13657211
Kobayashi is the best. All her toku series are good.
>>
I got bored of Sentai a few years ago, but I still watch Rider. Sentai just feels too same-y to me.

The show never re-invents itself as drastically as Rider. Early Showa Rider, late Showa Rider, Pre-Decade Heisei, and Post-Decade Heisei are totally different, and even in those categories, you've got some pretty dire contrasts between neighboring shows. However, you can watch a Sentai episode from the 90s and one from today, and very very little of the story structure has changed.

Besides the fact that it's more episode-based instead of arc-based, Sentai has so much stock footage and repetitive stuff. You know, the transformations and robot summons are usually really long stock footage, there's an opening AND a closing sequence, the role calls are usually the same, the robot fights are just tacked on 90% of the time, etc. You get like 7 minutes of new stuff in each episode.

Add to that the fact that Sentai is clearly able to take fewer risks than Rider. You can reduce a lot of modern Sentai shows to "The ___ Sentai," e.g. "The Police Sentai," "The Samurai Sentai." But you'd have a hard time doing that with Rider. You can't do that with a show like Agito, Faiz, Kabuto, Den-O, etc. Even in the past few years, as Rider has gotten more motif-driven, I think you'd have a harder time reducing Gaim to just "The Fruit Rider" or anything like that.
>>
>>13658908
Go-Busters was the closest to what Rider is and was great. Too bad kids didn't like it cuz now we won't see anything new.
>>
>>13654290

They've both sucked lately. KR is no longer dark, SS has turned fuckin' gay
>>
>>13657211
Nice thing about Kobayashi is that she doesn't recycle cliches and isn't afraid to do crazy stuff. Her stuff can be stock-standard sometimes, but she always finds a way to flip things on their head so that viewers with more than half a brain can appreciate it, and the way she writes characters is fucking awesome. Like, for example, the Core Medals in OOO, in most other shows the transformation gadgets usually get gotten and stay gotten in very predictable ways, but with Kobayashi she actually has them lose Medals and gain Medals, which in turn affects what combos Eiji can use.

Shinkenger does a lot of the stock-standard stuff, but if you've already watched Ryuki, OOO and Go-Busters, then you'll know that it's a lot more about the characters than anything else, and Shinkenger really hits the ball out of the park. A lot of people consider it one of her best Sentai (which isn't saying that Go-Busters and ToQger aren't good), and for very good reason. Fucking watch it.
>>
>>13659695
>A lot of people consider it one of her best Sentai
I was going to say that's because Timeranger isn't fully subbed yet.

>which isn't saying that Go-Busters and ToQger
Then I realised you're completely ignoring her older work.

Timeranger > Shinkenger > Gingaman > Ryuki > GoBusters > OOO > ToQger

Haven't seen her sailor moon yet. And that ranking is just personal opinion.
>>
>>13659671
>KR is no longer dark

Kamen Rider was never dark.
>>
File: dickeido sanjou.webm (3MB, 540x360px) Image search: [Google]
dickeido sanjou.webm
3MB, 540x360px
>>13659748
Brah, I think you neglected to list one critical piece of work there.
>>
>>13658908
Both still fare better than poor Ultraman, which is even more traditionalist compared to Sentai. Heck, it doesn't even get full year TV shows right now.

>>13659748
Don't forget about the first Garo anime.
>>
>>13659748
Oh shit, I wasn't a huge fan of Shinkenger but Timeranger was awesome.
>>
>>13659764
>Faiz
>>
>>13659804
The thing about Ultraman is that the shows actually manage to make interesting MotW episodes, thing that neither KR or SS have ever managed to do, seriously.
>>
>>13659764
>Decade
>About half of each episode of kabuto
>Amazon
>>
>>13654471
You should try watching something other than gokaiger
>>
>>13662325
He's pretty right though.
>>
Well, Ghost has been pretty uninspiring to me and I dropped it at the Robin Hood episode. Not sure how its been since then but the webms and stuff I see posted about really did nothing to bring me back. Or it could be that Drive was just too goddamn amazing for me I guess.

As for sentai, holy shit I hanvt touched it since CHOMPACHOMP ended and probably wont with Juuohger either. Shit looks bad. TOQ was bad, Ninnigger is retards and Juuoh seems like its not even trying anymore.

I miss Gokaiger.
>>
>>13659695
it is I really liked ryuki its the first time I saw a battle royal series with a satisfaying ending, and it was a really great watching specially because I watched just after the trainwreck of gaim.
>>
>>13658196
Then let's ask Hiyo
He's a Jap, so he would know better than all of us
>>
I've honestly been bored with the both of them as of late. Drive felt like a re-treading of Double, Ghost is a little too "kid-friendly" for my liking (which isn't to say that it's bad, just not for me) and I lost interest in Ninninger a while ago
>>
>>13662476
>I miss Gokaiger.

Me too. Gokaiger, Go-Busters and Kyoryuger was such a strong line of Sentai shows.

I don't think ToQger was bad but it's not a Sentai I'm in any rush to re-watch. I didn't care much for the ToQgers, and I was far more engaged by the villains.

Ninninger's problem is the complete lack of raised stakes.

Ninninger
>>
>>13663454
Looking at Ninninger threads, it seems like nobody is interested in it
>>
>>13663305
Ghost has been better than Drive at this point imo
>>
>>13663305
Ghost seemed kind of odd with the rushed episodic stories in the beginning, but they were actually just moving things fast to get into quite a bit of story development before the end of the year. The last episode was great and it looks like next week is pretty promising too.

We don't know the direction that the story is going afterwards at this point though.
>>
>>13659804
>poor Ultraman, which is even more traditionalist compared to Sentai
I mean, not really. We get multiple Ultras these days, and the past two couple of shows have mainly been playing around with the idea of an actually conjoined universe.

The big issue with Ultraman is it's fucking batshit weird, regardless of which entry every episode is wonky and a good example of a "Widget" show, as awful a term as it is.
>>
Put Sentai on hiatus like Rider had
>>
>>13667950
True, although in fairness it spun off from the Asian equivalent of The X Files/Outer Limits.
>>
>>13654290

Sentai has picked the same concept and stuck with it. Rider generally has a different twist on things each time.
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.