[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Purpose of GERWALK Mode

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5

File: VF1S_GERWALK.gif (53KB, 800x527px) Image search: [Google]
VF1S_GERWALK.gif
53KB, 800x527px
I get that Variable Fighters are basically jet fighters that turn into robots, but here' what I don't get, if Battroid mode is good in close quarters combat, as demonstrated in SDF episode 11: First Contact, what's the purpose of GERWALK mode then?
>>
>>13633470
When you need to hover around like a helicopter while being able to fly off whenever you need to.
>>
Maneuvering, mainly. It's smaller than battroid and moves more easily than the fighter.
Gerwalk wasn't exactly intended, anyway. It's just a halfway transformation and someone thought "hey we can use that"
>>
>>13633470
It is an in-between mode that allows you to get from place to place without exposing yourself to everyone and their mother's anti-aircraft weaponry, or having to take to the air when your enemies are far away enough that a walking Battroid is too slow, but transforming to fighter and back to Battroid when you reach said enemy is too much of a hassle given the not-long, but not-quite-short distance involved. It lets you maintain a reasonable traveling speed while keeping your machine stable in even when low to the ground and moving at high speeds.
>>
>>13633470

Its an in-between mode that wasn't originally supposed to exist, but UN pilots discovered during testing after they got stuck halfway through transforming and turned out to think was actually pretty cool.

Gerwalk is more maneuverable than Battroid, while not requiring the minimum speed needed to keep a plane in the air. Gerwalk is good for hopping between streets or over obstacles without going back to plane mode, and also is the ideal mode for making a landing into a combat zone because it can glide while also aiming its thursters down for slowing its descent during the last few seconds, after which it transforms into Battroid mode.

Its also quicker to snap to Gerwalk and then back to Plane since its only a partial transformation, if you find you are in Plane mode and then need to use your arms in a hurry.
>>
>>13633478
>>13633479
>>13633484
>>13633486

Thanks

As for the term GERWALK (Ground Effective Reinforcement of Winged Armament with Locomotive Knee-joint), was it really used in Orguss as the third form of the titular mecha?
>>
File: B-2427.jpg (112KB, 1023x688px) Image search: [Google]
B-2427.jpg
112KB, 1023x688px
>>13633534
>>
For when you gottogofast at low altitudes and need the extra aiming ability of arms.
>>
File: tiger face.jpg (63KB, 640x476px) Image search: [Google]
tiger face.jpg
63KB, 640x476px
>>
>>13633735
We can all go home now
>>
>>13633680
>SUPER REAL TYPE
You're not really making this easy Orguss you know that
>>
For minmaxing in old srw

Seriously, it's objectively the best mode in every game you can use it in.
>>
>>13633752
It's super real. Super is the adjective describing real. If it were "REAL SUPER," the "real" would just be describing how super it is.
>>
>>13633886
>B ranks on all terrains
>Good
The only thing it's useful for is the infinite reaction missile ammo glitch in Alpha
>>
>>13633752
Just see how it works in SRW
problem solved
>>
File: Alto VS Brera.webm (3MB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Alto VS Brera.webm
3MB, 640x480px
>>13633486
>Its also quicker to snap to Gerwalk and then back to Plane since its only a partial transformation, if you find you are in Plane mode and then need to use your arms in a hurry.
This.
>>
>>13634602

I hope a huge Violence Jack tier earthquake destroys Satelight and each of their offices.
Only this way we'll have a decent Macross again.
>>
>>13633470
I hardly ever come out of Gerwalk in the video games. I'll switch to fighter or battroid in response to the situation but always default back to gerwalk.

In Robotech it wasn't part of the design, the prototype just got stuck mid-transform and a very drunk Roy had to pilot it all the way back to base like that and insisted they make it a standard mode. Not sure what, if any, explanation was given in Macross. The irl reason is that Kawamori had done a previous pitch for a show with non-transforming legged jets called Gawalk, which didn't sell. While pitching his idea for Macross, the legs swung down accidentally (his lego models were kinda loose) making it look kind of like the Gawalk and they decided to run with it.
>>
>>13634643
I vaguely recall that GERWALK was an accident, or rather an unintended consequence of, the transformation system. It had utility so it was made standard.
>>
>>13634620
Frontier was good, sorry you're a stuck up prick.
>>
>>13634719

How's that myopia working for you?
>>
>>13633995
Most of them had A Space in Alpha 1, actually, since most of the ones you start with that were B IN ALL TERRAINS get S Packs that include that as part of the docket. I remember them being pretty good in D, too.
>>
>>13633680

Thanks
>>
How can Valkyries be better, when the F-22 has a 241 to 2 kill ratio. An F-22 taking on F-15s, F-16, Super Hornets(which have very good EW), and AWACs. The Rapetor ripped them apart in a 241-2 kill ratio.

Rapetor vs Dankyree, death battle!
>>
>>13634620
>Implying Kawamori won't just source it out to another CG studio.
Actually, I wouldn't mind if Studio Orange got it.

They made it look pretty good in Fafner, and decent in Aquarion EVOL. Both only had very minor moments of CG clipping in the models.
>>
>>13639772
inb4 skyboxes and wild cams
>>
File: wallpaper-397234.jpg (494KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
wallpaper-397234.jpg
494KB, 1920x1080px
>>13639742

Well lets compare the VF-1 to the F-22.

The F-22 is primarily composed of Titanium composites. The VF-1 has a "space metal frame" which must be far more robust than Titanium to withstand the stresses placed upon a Valkyrie during transofrmation at high speeds. Defensivley the VF-1 also has SWAG energy conversion armor which essentially allows it to dump excess reactor energy into strengthening itself to a high degree.

There isn't a good way to compare their avionics but given that Valkyries can navigate just fine through large swathes of space, I'm gonna have to give it to them. The armament on a VF-1 is also far superior to that of the F-22. The F-22 has a 20mm vulcan while the VF-1 has a 55mm gunpod. The VF-1 can mount missile pods that fire 60 homing micromissiles, or fleet busting reaction weapons stronger than conventional nukes. The VF-1 also possesses a Mauler anti-aircraft laser cannon, which fires up to 6,000 pulses per minute and is more than capable of taking down aircraft or missiles at the speed of light. The VF-1 has thrust vectoring just like the F-22 Raptor but instead of jet engines it uses 2 thermonuclear reaction turbines that allow it to fly from Earth atmosphere to orbit on its own and without any worry of stalling from low air-density. Valkyries are also nearly twice as fast as the F-22's afterburner speed of Mach 2, hitting speeds of mach 3.87. The VF-1 has it up on the F-22 in pretty much every respect save for stealth, and even then who knows what crazy space jammers and sensors are in use by the Macross universe.

tl;dr a VF-1 Valkyrie would shit all over the F-22 in virtually every respect. It wouldn't even be fair.
>>
>>13634620
Kill Kawamori and we might get a decent Macross. Unless you do that or that idiot stops trying to be trendy Macross will always suck.
>>
>>13640765
BTFO Raptor fag
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.