[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So after years of meaning to start Gundam, I finally gave it

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 13

File: gundam_iron_orphans_new.jpg (78KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
gundam_iron_orphans_new.jpg
78KB, 1280x720px
So after years of meaning to start Gundam, I finally gave it a shot, starting with Iron Blooded Orphans. I'm only three episodes in, but I'm pretty interested.

I plan to catch up on this series, and then take on a few of the older series. What are /m/'s recommendations for a new Gundam fan, because I've been clearly missing this my entire life.
>>
>>13625192
Abort IBO and start with 0079. Then continue along production order.
>>
File: !!.jpg (40KB, 841x373px) Image search: [Google]
!!.jpg
40KB, 841x373px
>newfag
run good sir, you're untainted by /m/ and its gundam-hate-boner so leave while you can
>>
Watch 0079, Z, ZZ and so forth. They're all pretty good and pretty much essential for getting into Gundam.
>>
>>13625199
i was going to ask /a/, but after being there for so long, i realized how bad of an idea that was.

I literally cannot stay there more than a few months at a time.
>>
Production order.
>>
File: gundamguide-updated-new.jpg (2MB, 2800x3402px) Image search: [Google]
gundamguide-updated-new.jpg
2MB, 2800x3402px
>>13625192
Latest guide. Pick whatever looks the most interesting to you, but 0079 (the original) is essential at some point.
>>
>>13625224
Thanks anon.
>>
>>13625192
Just lurk more newfag.
>>
>we want the TTGL audience Gundam
IBO is a plebian taste series unsuited for us UC patricians.
>>
PRODUCTION ORDER
>>
>>13625200
What if I don't have time to watch 150 episodes of all three series? Are the movies decent adaptations? Or are they just obvious, super-rushed plot summaries? Is Origin an acceptable alternative to watching the original 1979/1980s series?
>>
Mobile Suit Gundam
Developers Before One Year War
Mobile Suit Gundam 0080 War in the Pocket
Mobile Suit Gundam We're Federation Hooligans
Acguy 2250 Miles Across North America
Mobile Suit Crossbone Gundam
Mobile Fighter G Gundam
After War Gundam X
Gundam SEED CE73 Stargazer
Turn A Gundam
Gundam Reconguista in G
Gundam Build Fighters
>>
>>13625298
The 0079 movie trilogy are very well done and, depending on who you ask, can substitute for the series. But avoid all other compilation movies like the plague (they make absolutely no sense without first seeing the series).

And no, Origin is NOT an acceptable substitute for 0079, especially since Sunrise only plans to adapt the flashback chapters. If you want, read the manga for the full adaptation.
>>
>>13625298
The manga is a fairly acceptable one

The OVA isnt
>>
>>13625298
>What if I don't have time to watch 150 episodes of all three series?
Then don't get into the series. Most Gundam shows are 25-50 episodes and the compilation movies are not an acceptable substitute even if the show has them in the first place.
>>
>>13625298
Lazy guide to UC:
0079 movies > Char's Counterattack > watch the rest at your leisure..
>>
>>13625256
>we want the TTGL audience Gundam
>IBO is one of the few Gundam series where the Gundam itself is not a broken piece of shit and is not the olny factor to wining a battle
this is like the most edgy comparison ever, keep your delusions up

>>13625192
Stick with IBO and watch this >>13625224
as they keep releasing more episodes anon, is a good series, better than the trash we been getting the last 10 years
>>
>>13625298
It's not a popular opinion around here but I highly recommend starting with 0079 Movie Trilogy. It makes perfect sense on its own and the animation is improved, not to mention it's a small investment of time.

If you take a liking to the setting/story THEN go back and watch the series in production order.
>>
File: bellri-smile2.jpg (6KB, 183x183px) Image search: [Google]
bellri-smile2.jpg
6KB, 183x183px
>>13625337
>better than the trash we been getting the last 10 years
Like what?
>>
>>13625348
If you think IBO is worse than Seed(past season 2), 00, and AGE I may as well think you only watched Reco-G to fap
>>
File: 1446412478037.webm (2MB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
1446412478037.webm
2MB, 1024x576px
>>13625350
It certainly looks worse than all of them.
>>
>>13625337
>IBO is one of the few Gundam series where the Gundam itself is not a broken piece of shit
Found the newfag
>>
>>13625348
IBO is a series people claim as good but don't explain why
>>
>>13625358
Yet has one of the best Gundam designs, Sunrise through the series was goin to tank given the director never directed anything like this, now is the most popular gundam out there since seed and that makes you mad
>>
>>13625369
>Yet has one of the best Gundam designs,
The Barbatos looks ugly as fuck, the rest of the designs are forgettable and are just rejects from G-Reco

>now is the most popular gundam out there since seed and that makes you mad
This shit is tracking worse than G-Reco on the sales charts and has AGE tier ratings. yhis is nowhere near SEED level or even 00 level popularity.
>>
>>13625369
>best gundam design
ehhh its ok, g-self looked better and has had better mobile suit designs soo far
>most popular gundam
I mean really? is it?
>>
So far, Gundam 00 is the only non-UC series I've actually enjoyed (slow at first but it really picked up). I watched the shit out of G Gundam back in 2002 on Toonami, checked it out again and goddamn is it cheesy.

I'm extremely hesitant to pick up Seed or Wing. Not too jazzed about the aesthetic, character design looks pretty "stereotypical anime prettyboy." I don't know jack about Gundam X.

I really want to watch Turn A Gundam, but I hear you need to have some decent knowledge from all the series to truly enjoy it.

You can't pay me to watch Build Fighters (why is it so popular) and I'm currently watching IBO. But are AGE or Reconguista in G any good? They look interesting.
>>
>>13625344
>>13625315
Thanks, I'll check out the trilogy for sure.

>>13625325
Are Zeta/ZZ really that unimportant? I thought they both led into CCA.
>>
>>13625389
Nah, you have to realize it's pre-crack and after depression Tomino, so you better watch closely if you want to see Turn A.

G reco is after he's been kept on a diet of raw crack and weird jap sodas.
>>
>>13625389
>AGE
Fuck no
>G-Reco
Like Turn A you need to get your feet wet into the franchise to get anything out of it and even then unless you like Tomino gundam you probably won't enjoy it.
>>
>>13625394
>Are Zeta/ZZ really that unimportant? I thought they both led into CCA.
Sort of. While those events do lead into and can set up CCA, the main point of CCA from a story point of view is to finish the story of Char and Amuro and their rivalry, and for that you mainly just need to know about 0079.
>>
>>13625298
Then watch the watch the series over a long period of time.
Sadly, there's really no other way.
>>
>>13625394
Zeta's far from unimportant. Somewhat crucial to the plot of CCA and generally hugely influential and defining. ZZ is far more insular, however.
>>13625450
Zeta's pretty crucial to it though. You're pretty much skipping half of Char's arc.
>>
Why is AGE so universally despised? What's so bad about it, specifically?
>>
>>13625502
Mostly the 3rd generation (Kio) going full retard. The Flit and Asemu arcs are generally well received ok maybe I wouldn't go that far, but people didn't outright despise them.
>>
File: 1450067603374.gif (1MB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1450067603374.gif
1MB, 500x281px
>>13625507
>The Flit and Asemu arcs are generally well received
>>
Movie Trilogy + Zeta trilogy + CCA if you want the ADD version. ZZ is best ignored.
>>
>>13625541
>Zeta trilogy without the series
Dumbest idea in this thread
>>
File: poop three times faster.jpg (60KB, 350x525px) Image search: [Google]
poop three times faster.jpg
60KB, 350x525px
So I just finished 0079 and starting Zeta. How much longer until I should watch Unicorn and Origin?
>>
>>13625548
>Chair Asianstool
>Allows one to poop three times faster.
>>
File: 1366058339141.png (300KB, 469x540px) Image search: [Google]
1366058339141.png
300KB, 469x540px
>>13625298
>What if I don't have time to watch 150 episodes of all three series?
Why not? Are you in some kind of a hurry? You don't need to watch it all in a day, you have your entire life ahead of you. Start watching it and if you enjoy watching it keep watching it at your leisure. If you don't enjoy watching it then stop watching it, there is no law that says you have to watch it.
>>
>>13625337
>IBO is one of the few Gundam series where the Gundam itself is not a broken piece of shit and is not the olny factor to wining a battle
are you serious?
>>
File: destroy all vermin.png (492KB, 602x566px) Image search: [Google]
destroy all vermin.png
492KB, 602x566px
>>13625192
Drop it, otherwise the space rats will infest.
>>
File: 1430942237245.png (26KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1430942237245.png
26KB, 1000x1000px
>I don't have time to watch
Are you terminally ill
No
Then you have time
>>
>>13625548
Production order.
How'd you enjoy MSG?
>>
>>13625548
After Zeta you can either watch CCA or go ZZ then Unicorn. I don't think Origin spoils anything after 0079 so watch it whenever you want.
>>
>>13629685
THIS. I'm so sick of people making threads about "I want to get into Gundam, what order should I watch, what should I start with", like they're actually really interested, and then pretty quickly going "well can I skip this? I hear this one's bad, can I skip it?"

If you want to get into Gundam, get into Gundam. If you want to understand the franchise, get the jokes and the references, you watch everything over time. Take breaks between, pace yourself. Watch other mecha if you burn out on it. But don't just skip shit because you're impatient or "I heard ___ sucks". Educate yourself! See it and make up your own mind! Even in the worst Gundam shows there's usually something redeemable.
>>
>>13625394
But: remember it's the journey, not the destination... I listened to /m/ (at that time very loud anti-ZZ) and almost skipped ZZ, and it ended up being my maybe favorite. CCA, on the other hand, was built up to be this big thing in my mind, and I think it's the biggest piece of shit in UC.

I also liked Victory, thought Unicorn was worthwhile but kinda disappointing, and currently loving Turn A.

Also: all Gundam UC endings suck, that's just how it is. Unicorn and CCA were the worst offenders for me.
>>
File: GUNDAM.png (7KB, 519x149px) Image search: [Google]
GUNDAM.png
7KB, 519x149px
Only series here i havent watched are Zeta, AGE and ZZ, (its in another folder)
should i watch the Zetas in English or subbed?
>>
>>13632893
Why would you watch 0083 before Zeta? What the heck, dude?
At least read that one chart everyone always posts in all Gundam newbie threads.
>>
>>13633427
because i had originally watched it when it aired on cartoon network when i was a kid, and i had fond memories. so i re watched it to learn lore because i didnt give a fuck about lore when i watched it the first time.
>>
>>13625192
Watch anything you want in any order you want.

If you want to get into UC, 0079 is essential viewing in some form so you know how it all started. Zeta, ZZ, CCA is the progression from there to understand the basic story that most other shows will in some way reference. There are more stories like Victory, 0080, 0083, Unicorn out there, but you don't have to watch them all in order as long as you have a grasp of the foundational setting.

G, Wing, X, SEED, 00, AGE, G-Reco, and IBO are all separate universes and don't need you to know much about UC to watch them. You'll miss some homages, but that's okay. You'll pick up on the recurring beats eventually. I personally recommend 00 and its followup movie, it's a good show with a unique first half and a second half that plays closer to the typical formula but still does some interesting things. I would avoid AGE because it's a poorly made show. SEED isn't all that great either, but aside from UC it tends to get the most representation in other media of any setting, so you might want to look at it just to get to know the characters.

Turn A and Build Fighters are special cases. Turn A is the capstone to most of Gundam up to that point, while Build Fighters is a show all about homages and callbacks celebrating the franchise's history. Both are good, but both should wait until you've seen some other shows first.
>>
>>13633940
>G-Reco
>separate universe
It's 500 years after Turn A
>>
The best things to come out of the franchise are 0080 and Turn A. Turn A has less impact if you aren't familiar with what came before it, but 0080 is short and stands on its own.

The rest is sort of a mixed bag.
>>
>>13625548
I wouldn't watch Unicorn until after ZZ and CCA.
>>
>>13625207
Start with none UC gundam then move to UC. I started with 00 as my first Gundam. Lots of /m/ hates it you might wanna start there. I watch every thing Gundam so quality aint a issue for me
>>
>>13625197
This.
>>
Start with SEED followed by SEED Destiny. They are the most popular Gundam series in Japan for a good reason.
>>
>>13625192
00 Gundam
>>
File: frog.jpg (74KB, 483x381px) Image search: [Google]
frog.jpg
74KB, 483x381px
>>13625298
Why do people want to get into a series if they dont actually want to watch it?
Is it just for "i've seen this"?
You dont get some sort of special points for this
>>
>>13633974
It is, but it's so disconnected that we only know that because they said so. Knowing what happened in Turn-A does not improve your viewing experience in G-Reco. For all useful intents it's an AU.
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.