[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Battle of the Gary-Stus

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 17

File: garystu vs.jpg (85KB, 327x169px) Image search: [Google]
garystu vs.jpg
85KB, 327x169px
So who's the bigger Gary Stu?
>>
>>13616399
>guy with a giant robot
>vs
>a kid that's good at video games
bruh
BRUH
>>
Well, one's Jesus and other is just a human.

Who do you think wins?
>>
Even ingame, Jesus could probably "reprogram" the whole thing, then enable noclip and godmode
>>
>>13616412
Sounds like a scene from a Spaceboots story.
>>
>Member of super top secret elite spec ops
>The most perfectest soldier
Literally God
Canonically cannot die
>Every man he meets wants to be his best bro
>Every woman he meets wants to fuck

This guy.
>>
>>13616412
I think you must not have heard about SAO having Kirito disregard in-game status effects because he wanted it hard enough.
>>
File: 040.jpg (375KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
040.jpg
375KB, 1280x720px
Neither

>Considered an ace pilot despite never doing anything outstanding
>Relies heavily on his God Machine that only he can use that is supposed to "kill him" but he always gets out of it
>Character flaw was being too innocent to the point where he suppressed a memory of him hurting his best friend when it was justified and made the blame himself
>Son of the person who made communication possible with Festum who was totally unique for some unknown reason because she played with dirt
>Has multiple girls lusting after him throughout the series but remains totally oblivious
>Best friend dies at end of the series? Don't worry we'll make a movie entirely about him coming back so you can have your best friend back!
>Having to fight against humans? No way, you're too pure for that. One of your harem members will be the one who has to do all that while you make pretty speeches to her afterwards about how you'll share the burden but never do
>Don't forget to feel bad for hurting the enemy aliens and wax poetic about how you'll give back for killing so many while defending yourself from their attacks
>Oh also you're the super special messiah child who can end all the hatred! Have a free new arm and magic powers so you don't have to worry about your robot eating you anymore
>>
>>13616399
Harry Potter definitely
>>
>>13617262

This post reeks of bait and/or having only skimmed TvTropes.
>>
>>13617262
.>he fell for the Fafner forced meme
>>
>>13617306
Oh he had development in DA definitely, but in Exodus he is literally Festum Jesus.
>>
File: Festum in a nutshell.png (159KB, 400x263px) Image search: [Google]
Festum in a nutshell.png
159KB, 400x263px
>>13617318
Yet the deaths aren't prevented any more despite this.
>>
>>13617262

You know he's gonna die, right?
>>
File: 1395040037897.jpg (103KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1395040037897.jpg
103KB, 1280x720px
>>13617321

This is probably a better means of explaining them succinctly.
>>
>>13617321
That's not the point though.

Everyone else has to wade knee deep in the shit and actually get fucked for over piloting their robots.

Kazuki doesn't. He's probably the most boring character in Exodus because he hasn't developed really at all. His big development was "Oh, I'll use my life to save people rather than just being a cook because I don't wanna start anything I can't finish"

And now basically everyone else has suffered consequences either physical, mental or both for doing so while he just gotta a magic hand out from the Island so he doesn't.

Gee Mir, why didn't you make that offer to Canon or Akira before they both poofed?

Because they aren't the messiah?
>>
>>13617330
He just transcended the cycle of life and death in the latest episode, he is not going to die
>>
>>13617318
>you now realize Exodus was casualized for ADD action babby manchildren.
>>
>>13617349
At this rate he might as well go full Gill and have a cult dedicated to following him.
>>
>>13617358
It's not like Exodus didn't have development at all, it actually had development for everyone else (Maya, Akira, Sui, Canon, Kenji/Sakura top of my head) except Kazuki for some reason.
>>
>>13617358
Not really. The one blemish on Fafner is that they had to magically revive Soushi and fix Kazuki's eyes in Heaven and Earth, and then they basically couldn't do anything with their characters because they don't want to risk upsetting the fujos.

Characters like Canon, Kenji and Maya all have greet development, and Sakura to a lesser extent from the first season. It's Kazuki who has stagnated and Soushi whose character arc was done in DA but they had to bring him back.

The fact that Mir can magically "make" people into Festum/Human hybrids whenever they feel like it is a cheap cop out in the face of other characters who weren't given that option and pretty much only existed as a way to bullshit Soushi back and then bullshit all of Kazuki's problems away. It's obnoxious

Koyo's an exception to this and doesn't feel like bullshit because he got saved mid process and just got lucky.

Plot Armor did exist in Fafner before, but now when it comes to those two it's far too obvious.
>>
/m/ loves 0079 and Zeta and their MC are both two guys that randomly find the robot and conveniently become the strongest pilots of their series, and they complain about Gary Stus

This is why I can't take this board seriously
>>
>>13617575
you didnt watch 0079 did you?
>>
>>13617866
I did, you didn't
>>
>>13616915
>has a AI that warns him about attacks before they happen
>Is incredibly strong with any real reason as to why he is
>has several women lusting over him despite him already having a girlfriend
>>
>>13617871
>Claims to have watched 0079
>Doesn't remember Amuro's dad was working with the Gundam
>Doesn't remember Amuro had access to the Gundam specs
>Doesn't remember that for a good chunk of time after getting the Gundam he only wins by relying on the pure brute strength of the Gundam compared to Zakus
>Doesn't remember how competent pilots like Char could kick his ass until he got to learn
>>
>>13617928
not only that but hes constantly being told early on that he's not actually any good and that its the gundam thats carrying him. i mean in his first fight he fucks up and his dad gets sucked out of the colony and gets brain damage. when they get to earth he ditches the white base and runs off because he doesnt want to fight anymore. that all sounds like a gary stu to me.
and amuro works hard to get good. he completely ignores fraws thirsty pussy thats dripping over his shoulder 24/7 and devotes his all his time to maintaining and tuning up the gundam.
and lets not forgets what he becomes in zeta

>>13617575
>>13617871
>This is why I can't take this board seriously
my thoughts exactly
and yeah im sure you did watch it, the movie trilogy maybe, out of the corner of your eye whilst posting on MAL about how hyped you are for the next IBO episode
>>
>>13616412
Onii-sama from Mahouka beat Kirito like that
>>
>>13617978
>that all sounds like a gary stu to me

What? You just listed all the reasons he isn't a gary stu. That whole trope is about a character who's gifted with competence for no other reason than the author wanted him to be "badass" and "amazing" because they're a shitty writer who cannot into character development. A character who makes mistakes, is forced to train, and develops like real people do isn't a gary/mary stu/sue.
>>
>>13618090
Sarcasm is hard to detect on the internet for you, isn't it.
>>
>>13618100
Sarcasm comes with a certain tone that makes it apparent. Directly contradicting yourself doesn't automatically make you sarcastic. Besides, the mary sue trope has been misconstrued countless times to the point I'd easily believe someone would be dumb enough to make an argument along those lines.
>>
>>13618120
Fair enough. It could've been worded better.

But yeah, Amuro doesn't fit in the Mary Sue department.
>>
File: spinzaku.jpg (65KB, 500x350px) Image search: [Google]
spinzaku.jpg
65KB, 500x350px
But who is the least gary-stu mech pilot?
>>
>>13618149
Hey, at least CG established that Lulu kind of sucks balls at piloting despite being the main character.
>>
File: domoncrest.jpg (23KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
domoncrest.jpg
23KB, 320x240px
>>13616399
This is not the matchup that should matter.

Could Kira beat Domon?

One is Jesus, the other is piloting God
>>
>>13618149
Random grunts.

If we're only counting main characters, probably someone like Tokimune or Bernie.
>>
File: 1207963-jiron_amos[1].jpg (10KB, 320x239px) Image search: [Google]
1207963-jiron_amos[1].jpg
10KB, 320x239px
>>13618149
>>
>>13617575
There's more to a gary stu than falling into a robot.

I can name plenty of times when Kamille was going to/is in the middle of getting his ass handed to him, by oldtypes no less.
>>
>>13619094
>beats a mech with plot armor
nah
>>
Here's the thing for me. Kira is not flawless, even in Destiny. He's hopelessly naive, his actions prolong the war while making battles worse, and is a major hypocrite who is either unable or unwilling to see the consequences of his actions. Not to mention, his version of UNDERSTANDING is gunboat diplomacy and terrorism. His growth in Destiny directly mirrors Shinn's, except it is portrayed in a positive light.

He is not a perfect being when you actually analyze the show. The thing that makes him a Gary Stu is how the show is either unaware of how much of an asshat he is while it continues to shill him, or unwilling to acknowledge those issues and present them as a bad thing..
>>
>>13619868
They say that a Gary Stu is a character that seems to have the entire universe he's in make him look like a good. Well, in the remaster of Seed, Kira didn't kill Nicole anymore, it's Nicole blindly and stupidly getting himself killed.
>>
>>13619973
Destiny still derails it's characters to make Kira the good guy.
>>
File: MahoukaTatsuya.png (328KB, 1121x632px) Image search: [Google]
MahoukaTatsuya.png
328KB, 1121x632px
You forgot the third member of the gary stu trinity
>>
>>13620270
I like him. At least he doesn't try to act like he's *not* a Gary Stu. Guy revels in Gary Stuness.
>>
>>13620270
Literally the only thing I know about this show is that he fucks his sister.
>>
>>13620315
She's voiced by Saori Hayami. If she was my sister I'd fuck her too.
>>
>>13617306
in truth it reads of someone whos been watching from season one as much as I like fafner kazuki as a jary stue a big one
>>
>>13620339
MOOOOOOOOOOM!
>>
>>13620303
lol yep that he dose witch makes him at lest likeable so Il over look that he litraly has life hax
>>
>>13618149
RIP Gai from Nadesico
>>
>>13617909
SAO Kirito was strong because he built his character to go fast and hit hard, foregoing armor. Plus, he's high-leveled. He said so himself: the flaw of MMOs is that everything is just numbers -- his happens to be high enough.
ALO Kirito is the definition of cheating. For some bullshit reason his stats carried over into a completely new game, and so he gets all the privileges that come with being a high-level player without doing the work.

Anything afterwards is explained away by his mind being transformed by years of playing VR games, but there's still no excuse for being able to literally swat bullets out of the air.
>>
>>13620315
You mean his sister wishes he'd fuck her.

So far, though, he's a literal asexual dude. The moment he does end up reciprocating his sister's love (or anyone else's for that matter) is the moment he loses all the things going for him that negate his Gary Stuness, I think.
>>
>>13620538
You forgot that he can duel-wield even though you're not supposed to.
>>
>>13620101

To be fair that was happening before he even returned, with Shinn being a barely contained ball of rage that is easily set off by anything reminding him of Orb or the Atha's. He just never got better like people expected.

Does it count as derailment if a character starts off that way and just never changes?
>>
>>13620562
Yeah, that too. I forgot whether it was a secret skill that's in the game all along or something Kayaba gave to Kirito.
>>
File: 1439849384732.jpg (57KB, 846x846px) Image search: [Google]
1439849384732.jpg
57KB, 846x846px
>>13618149
The only answer
>>
>>13620703
It was something he got as a beta-tester even though that isn't how beta-testers work, especially in MMOs. And ALO let's him dual-wield but no actual attacks/skills that use both swords, so he literally uses one-handed sword skills ambidextrously.
>>
>>13618149
Not Suzaku, his physical abilities still make no sense.
>>
>>13620772
You don't question his abilities.
>>
>>13620785
I'll question whatever I damn well please.
>>
File: Sogoku Kyo.jpg (43KB, 852x480px) Image search: [Google]
Sogoku Kyo.jpg
43KB, 852x480px
>>13618149
This guy.
>>
>>13620612
I was talking about Luna. She forgets she took those pictures while listening in on Athrun's meeting and do I even need to bring up her relationship with Sinn?
>>
>>13620766
If you read the novels, there are several unique skills that are given out ingame.
The dualwield skill was given to the player with the best respons time.

They also explain the hate for Beta-testers.
You get a special drop for landing the last hit on a boss.
There are several non-repeatable quests they snatched as quickly as possible.
Consider Kirito to be around level 99 when the toughest guys were 60.

As for the cheating in ALO, the game was a clone of Sword Arts.
They just slapped in a few new skins and stuff.
They also altered the number scale.
So kiritos maxed skills of 999 went to 9999.

Further in GGO he was literqlly given a cheated character to investigate the deaths.
>>
File: Mahouka_Koukou_no_Rettousei65439.jpg (235KB, 1200x675px) Image search: [Google]
Mahouka_Koukou_no_Rettousei65439.jpg
235KB, 1200x675px
>>13616399
>>
>>13619868
>Here's the thing for me. Kira is not flawless, even in Destiny. He's hopelessly naive, his actions prolong the war while making battles worse, and is a major hypocrite who is either unable or unwilling to see the consequences of his actions. Not to mention, his version of UNDERSTANDING is gunboat diplomacy and terrorism. His growth in Destiny directly mirrors Shinn's, except it is portrayed in a positive light.
>He is not a perfect being when you actually analyze the show. The thing that makes him a Gary Stu is how the show is either unaware of how much of an asshat he is while it continues to shill him, or unwilling to acknowledge those issues and present them as a bad thing.

Intent and justifications are not the same as actual portrayal. If that were the case, then we should, for example, believe wholesale that Nazi Germany invaded Poland in 1939 to protect the Germans living there.
>>
>>13617928
>Doesn't remember Amuro had access to the Gundam specs
In all fairness, that's only explicit in The Origin.
>>
File: Two Mary Sues.jpg (676KB, 1067x1512px) Image search: [Google]
Two Mary Sues.jpg
676KB, 1067x1512px
If you want to test whether a character is or isn't a Mary Sue (or rather, to which degree he/she is), use this: http://marysuelitmustest.yolasite.com/
>>
File: read the fucking manuel.jpg (2MB, 3038x2143px) Image search: [Google]
read the fucking manuel.jpg
2MB, 3038x2143px
>>13621973
The nignog picks up the fucking owner's manual!
>>
File: 1429712370315.jpg (327KB, 600x781px) Image search: [Google]
1429712370315.jpg
327KB, 600x781px
>>13620270
>>
>>13621505
This is correct for the Dual Wield skill. It was given out by Kayaba basically to turn one of the players into the main character of his campaign, where he was (or would eventually become, anyway, had Kirito not derailed his plotline) the main villain.

>Consider Kirito to be around level 99 when the toughest guys were 60.
This though I think is very exaggerated. I think he only outleveled the rest of the clearers by a few levels tops, 78 to 75 or something like that.

>So kiritos maxed skills of 999 went to 9999.
This didn't happen, max level for skills in both SAO and ALO was 1000

>Further in GGO he was literqlly given a cheated character to investigate the deaths.
This didn't happen either. All VRMMOs after the ALO arc were based off The Seed, which meant it was possible to transfer characters between different MMOs. Equipment wouldn't carry over, but stats would stay. And Kirito's character after ALO arc was actually a brand new one, so it wasn't the overleveled one from SAO. Just above average.
>>
File: char.png (135KB, 475x357px) Image search: [Google]
char.png
135KB, 475x357px
>>13618149
Burgie
>>
>>13622603
I went for an exagerated example on the skill level. The main point was that it went from MAX in SAO to ALO.
However if I am not mistaken ALO had not been around for very long and even the higher level players were not very close to Kiritos skills.
I think I recall Kirito being level 96 after Heathcliff.

>based of The Seed
It's hinted that they tampered with his character data in GGO.
Thread posts: 72
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.