[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

gbf - really fun try - dogshit what the hell happened?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 291
Thread images: 47

File: Untitled-42.jpg (256KB, 1332x869px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-42.jpg
256KB, 1332x869px
gbf - really fun
try - dogshit

what the hell happened?
>>
File: 43043144_big_p1.jpg (612KB, 1140x673px) Image search: [Google]
43043144_big_p1.jpg
612KB, 1140x673px
I'll tell you, Season 1 was fun and not serious. in Try everything was super serious and took itself that way. Everyone knew in season 1 it was a fun game and hobby. try it was a sport and its a crime to have fun and it isn't a hobby. Its serious stuff.
>>
>>13604601
>gbf - really fun, but still dogshit

Pigs get a lot of enjoyment chilling in shit.
>>
Team Battles.
Team Battles made the fights a whole lot less interesting because you had to work around 6 units rather than 1 vs 1.

Also the main machines weren't really interesting and didn't have interesting fighting styles.

You had a punch monkey, a bland Zeta revamp and a suit that went SD or Real.
>>
2 major issues
1) less than 6 months preptime and planning (vs 2 years for GBF)
2) change of director (season veteran to shitty nobody)

almost every complaint about this show can be attributed to the above.
subpar animation? = 1
subpar designs? = 1
shitty characters? = 1 and 2
terrible format? = 1 and 2
shitty story? = 2
no real element of "fun" or "homage" like GBF? = 2

etc etc etc

Sunrise had a very small window to air GBFT (and G-Reko too) because they wanted to get IBO / Thunderbolt aired and out in 2015's later half. So they got crammed and rushed.
>>
File: 1449270390602.jpg (17KB, 720x544px) Image search: [Google]
1449270390602.jpg
17KB, 720x544px
>>13604714
>season veteran
>kenji

Found the retard
>>
GBF was already running out of steam in the later part, trying to crap out a sequel immediately was never going to go well.
>>
>>13604714

>no real element of "fun" or "homage" like GBF? = 2

I'm pretty sure GBF S1 basically blow their homage load on Gunpla Eve and practically had nothing left for Try

Looking back, both shows are hilariously cliche and predictable but we gave S1 a lot more slack due to its "novelty factor" and how much the show panders to Gunotas with things that we lovee while Try had practically none of that
>>
Bandai smelled money, wanted to crank out a sequel as fast as they wanted and exerted a lot more control over the show.
>>
>>13604728
Nagasaki had more experience at least. Try's direction is fucking shit. Especially in the sound department.

I think Bandai should've realized that gundam anime NEEDS to take a break. I mean, look at IBO. There are too many animation problems that shouldn't be there if they had more time.
>>
>>13606503
They just need to not make three of the fucking things at once.
>>
>>13606536
I blame GBF's success for this.
>>
>>13604601
The writing team moved on to Cross Ange.
>>
Whena re the damn ovas coming out?
>>
I get they didn't have a lot of time but they didn't build at all off of what season 1 gave them.

They could have had the show be about the kids battling the mafia and/or aliens and they didn't do shit with it.

It took more work to ignore this shit than it would to run with it.

You want a easy set up?

earth and aria compete in gunpla battle in a galactic tournament. Aria has the tech edge but earth's understanding of gundam lore gives them a unique edge of their own.

That took me six seconds to come up with. And im distracted by a picture of tits.
>>
>>13606955
>They could have had the show be about the kids battling the mafia and/or aliens and they didn't do shit with it.

The staff specifically said that they would never explore the other world at all because it would suck all the attention away from gunpla, which is the focus of the show. It was just a plot device to explain palavsky particles.
>>
I wouldn't call it dogshit, it's just... not nearly as good. It's okay. It started out strong. I still love that first episode. It's still fun fanservice. I think the restriction to 3 v 3 really killed the intensity. I didn't mind the characters so much, and I wouldn't mind another season or a movie with them, I was just so fucking tired of the team fights.

GBF was just much better. It was all around a great Gundam show, and definitely one of the best in the last decade or so.
>>
>>13607020

and that's stupid
>>
>>13604601
Like a lot of other people are saying, they rushed out the sequel and the show suffered for it.

Looking back, BF didn't excel in any one area (characters, plot, etc.), but the presentation was great and it was good enough in each area that it ends up feeling like more than the sum of its parts. It kept things light and fun but still managed to milk a surprising amount of drama from playing with plamo.

Try's problem was spreading itself thinner when the creative well was already running dry. Sei and Reiji weren't wildly orginal characters, but their dynamic was solid and as a result they're fun to watch. The Try fighters are bland and barely have any chemistry together, which is a huge misstep when your show is built around team combat. 3v3 combat as a whole really dragged down the show, since it meant a lot of filler characters and uninspired gunpla builds--most of their battles are really against one person with two background characters as backup. In the end, no one gives a shit about the Try Fighters and whether they succeed--it says something that the initial reaction to the Tryon battle was "the bad guys won".
>>
>>13607020
>they would never explore the other world at all because it would suck all the attention away from gunpla
That's really just a matter of execution.
They coulda used time dilation, and had Aria become a culture completely obsessed with knock-off or made up Gundam series/models, thanks to Baker and whats his face eventually having success selling their shit in space.
>>
I enjoyed Try.
>>
>>13607607
Daily reminder that they made a HGBF Super Fumina instead of HG Cosmos
>>
>>13604601
gbf - milf
try - no milf though gyanko is a top tier semen demon
>>
>>13607607
>>13607610
Fuck off pedophile
>>
>>13607609
We didn't really see a lot of the Cosmos though.
>>
Poorly paced fights.
Too many cast members. Less time/focus for each of them.
Both problems stem from the 3 vs 3 format.

On top of that... It's like a fucking rule of sports manga to at least introduce a few main competitors you will see throughout the series, early on in the story. This way you can be invested in the progress of not just the heroes, but rivals as well.
The first series did this many times over. In this, even competitors that struck with fans, like Gyanko and the snapfag, never end up fighting the heroes more than once.
>>
>>13604601
They tried to solve the issues people had with some things in Season 1 in a way that did not solve them but emphasized the issues even more.

People complained about Build Knuckle being the finishing move in S1 too often, so they "solved" this by having Jigen Hao Ryu finishing moves in S2 - which in turn emphasized problems because instead of "Build Knuckle to finish everything" it became "Jiggy How are you to finish everything" meme shit.

Somebody in preproduction came up with the "Let's have it be a team fight with three people per team" gimmick and the writers had no fucking clue on how to work with it, which showed very much because it gave us too many underdeveloped or plainly uninteresting characters.

People asked for more epic battles like Build Strike vs Zaku Amazing and Fenice vs SBS, so in turn we got battles that the writers deemed epic but lacked the feelings the viewers had attached to the characters and their Gunpla which made the battles feel stale and not epic.

And the end was really fucking dumb. No, not the Gundam, the actual end of the show. Then again, "Edgelord" (as we loved to call him) seemed a lot cooler during the PTSD flashbacks than he turned out to be as character, which was yet another letdown.
>>
>>13604601
They adapted the show to their target audience, young kids.
>>
>>13607617
THAT'S MY POINT
Try could've went and showed us flashbacks of the Cosmos in action but nooooooo they had to give us fetish kitbash,
I hope the OVA delivers. It's the only hope now.
>>
Still had more fun with it at this point than I am with Orphans so far.
>>
The nature of the tournament was pretty lackluster too. 3v3 single elimination? boring.

BF showed more teamwork and camaraderie between solo players in a freaking battle royal
>>
>>13607621
Absolutely nothing about the first show contradicted marketing to a young audience.
>>
>>13607622
It would be nice if the OVA shows more of the Cosmos.

We'll just have to wait and see.
>>
>>13607601
Isnt there the thing about GBF:Tri trying to copy GBF but lacked the context. Like there are similar fights but tri just didnt have the viewers care as much
>>
>>13607626
God, I hope so.
Hell, at this point I'd settle for short webisodes showing life in Arian. The meatbuns have better been busy.
>>
I miss Aila.
>>
I thought I disliked Meijin in the first, because I found him to be rather plain and uninteresting once he put on the shades in the first series.

Boy I didn't realize how good we had it, once we got the blond guy and the white haired girl from the rival team in this series.

Those two had characterization literally limited to "They are just good at gunpla, okay?"
At least you know Meijin was a Gundam fanboy.
>>
>>13607635
That'd be pretty cool as well.

I just want more BF kits really, we can't end it with the Super Fumina, now can we?
>>
>>13607637
Her name is the stupidest thing ever.

And that comes from a Finn.
>>
>>13607640
Tatsuya is what happens when you take all the good things about the typical gundam/gunpla fanboy and turn it into a character.
He is a true /m/an in my book.

>>13607637
You and me both, anon. You and me both.
>>
>>13607644
Mega Size versions of the copy mobile suits from the last episode of GBF when
>>
>>13607647

Tatsuya got fucked over pretty hard in Try.

in BF he was just a fanboy who got a chance to be king fanboy. He was hot shit sure but there a bit of fun at it too.

In Try they tried to make him actually cool. and it failed
>>
>>13607645
They could have called her Sauna Perkele instead, be glad you got a qt character representing your country while Germany got somebody with a not-german last name who is also a joke.
>>
>>13604601
It wasn't GBF 2.0 so everyone is pissed because they wanted some Reiji/Sei action with a side of Aila. Plus it doesn't have as much gundam fan service as the original.
>>
>>13607656
And that is why jock-type characters suck.
Tatsuya's original characterization was not really jock-tier; he was just a really famous fan who wasn't really trying to act cool.
Damn the persona change.
>>
>>13607637
Aila was pretty cool in my books.
>>
>>13607659
>Sauna Perkele
MY EAAARSSSSS
>>
>>13607659
Nah, I'm forever triggered that Japan insists on drawing supposedly Finnish characters with white hair.

Joking aside, Jyrkiäinen is like the most masculine name the could've gone for (Jyrki being a male name).
>>
>>13607666

and you know they could have worked with that.

Like maybe he finds the Meijin persona tiring. Maybe he doesn't really want to be the cool rock star and just wants to have fun with playing.

oh wait that would give him a character arc and personality.

and the fuck was Lady's deal? She did fuck all of shit.
>>
File: 1443346341500.jpg (71KB, 594x515px) Image search: [Google]
1443346341500.jpg
71KB, 594x515px
>>13607677
>Jyrkiäinen is like the most masculine name the could've gone for (Jyrki being a male name).

does that matter for a surname?
>>
>Final boss was exia, again.

Seriously? No one thought maybe they should change it up a little?
>>
>>13607690
Got to sell those 00 kits, anon.

Japan loves them.
>>
>>13607683
They probably wanted to replace Tatsuya entirely at some point. Or have a counterpart from the girls' side of things. I honestly don't know.
>>
>>
>>13607693
Hey you know what, that's fine.
Make the final boss one of the other Gundams form 00 then.
Hell, make it 00.
>>
>>13607696
>Not posting meatbuns
mediocre
>>
File: Aila.Jyrkiäinen.full.1642109.jpg (1MB, 1447x2047px) Image search: [Google]
Aila.Jyrkiäinen.full.1642109.jpg
1MB, 1447x2047px
Why does the best girl have to be the one whose name is hardest to spell?
>>
>>13607689
There was a manga where they turned Simo Häyhä, a legendary sniper from the winter war times, into a girl while still keeping the name same. I'm inclined to believe Japan just picks what sounds cool.

The way they kept botchering how to pronounce Jyrkiäinen, or even Aila, was pretty endearing, though.
>>
>>13607699
I would have enjoyed it more if it was the 00, at least it's something different then and carries on the evolution line (Exia in BF, 00 in Try).
>>
>>13604601
They killed Ral.
>>
They were way too many fights that were dragged out into two when one would have sufficient.
>>
>>13607711
That would be Shiroi Majo. I have to admit, Hayha looks really cute.

>>13607706
Because other languages other than english tend to make characters more exotic.
>>
>>13604601
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ
>>
File: 1390849942880.gif (263KB, 335x360px) Image search: [Google]
1390849942880.gif
263KB, 335x360px
>>13607704
>>
>>13607736
Smug Aila is cute.
>>
File: Vlcsnap-2013-12-02-06h38m29s103.png (756KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Vlcsnap-2013-12-02-06h38m29s103.png
756KB, 1280x720px
Reminder that GBF Try was a failure because Best Girl did not even appear once
>>
File: GivingDistantAnt.webm (588KB, 718x404px) Image search: [Google]
GivingDistantAnt.webm
588KB, 718x404px
>>13604601
>>
>>13607839
And on that night, an unbreakable bond was formed.

>>13607745
She didn't use a berserker system. 0/10
>>
>>13606041
>GBF was already running out of steam in the later part
The animation budget really took a hit in the whole second half.
>>
>>13607626
>>13607622
>>13607609

If you want a cosmos just buy star build strike. They are identical in appearance.
>>
>>13607843
She used the berserker mode right out of the gate you sperg.
>>
>>13607624
>You will never EVER share the reaction the giant zaku II appear in the battle with /m/ again.

It...it hits me more than it should.

>>13607839
So mean.
>>
GBF had so many great fights.

>Kampfer Amazing vs. GM Sniper K9
>SBS vs. Wing Fenice
>Build Strike vs. Zaku Amazing

Hell, the BearGuy San vs. SD Knight was better than a lot of Try. What did S2 have?

>the one where team try pulls a victory out of their ass against whoever they were facing this week

Imagine Try but with Snapfag, Gyanko, and New Maoh piloting the Tryon-3 together. That'd be a fucking show.
>>
>>13608624
>SSB vs Wing Fenice
fuck man I just rewatched that after reading this post and that's probably one of the best fights in the damn series.
>>
>>13608624
>Tryon-3

Eww, no thanks.

Sekai/Shimon/Gyanko for best team.
>>
>>13608741
Tryon-3 was one of the few highlights of GBF Try
>>
>>13608741
>Sekai/Shimon/Gyanko
Then you would have two characters that are the same.
Minato/Gyanko/Shimon or Sudou/Gyanko/Minato would be way better.
>>
>>13608765
>Then you would have two characters that are the same.

I'd still prefer it over having Minato as part of the team.
>>
I wish these shows were not so tournament driven. It completely ruined them for me. Like, a show in this style with nothing like the beginning of either show or the ending of Try would be a 10/10 for me if executed correctly.

Not to say I completely dislike the tournament format, but it utterly ruined Try for me.
>>
>>13608787
But what else can you do with it?
SoL about building gunpla and ocasional battles?
>>
>>13606503
animation problems aren't one of IBO's problems, the QUALITY moments are few and far between which are corrected in the super expensive BD release like other anime titles
>>
Speaking of tournament's, I kinda want a round-robin or swiss-style tournament anime because I can't really recall any tournament-based anime that has done those as the main tournament.

I mean I can understand why they don't do it because you'll need to have a tournament with less participant's or risk not having enough time to show all the battles, and the staff will have a harder time to think of how things progress, but I think it'll be great for character development and interactions because the characters aren't eliminated immediately, and there would actually be some tension because the MC and rival teams can actually lose their matches..
>>
Try forgot about everything GBF made fun of or criticized.
And they decided to add a protagonist nobody can relate to and gave him absolutely no development.
>>
Not-Reiji fucking shouting constantly didn't help Try I'll say that.
>>
>>13608765
Or Minato/Gyanko/Junya for Try Fighters, but better.
>>
>>13608912

Well, the GBWC in S1 uses a 8 Round Swiss tournament with a Top 16 cut for around 90 participants. I'm sure a National tournament around 50 teams could use one with 6 Rounds with a Top 8 Cut

>Staff having difficulty to think of how things progress

They can always just show brief montages of the "less important" rounds just like what happened in S1 when Reiji's right hand was injured
>>
>>13607020
What a stupid excuse. I thought the elevens were more dutiful, that's just fucking lazy.
>It will take attention off the gunpla
Only if you're an uncreative faggot.
>>
>>13607620
I'll never get over how bad they fucked up trying to liven up the finishers. Even with Build Knuckle spam, BF usually made up for it by incorporating something resembling strategy, at least.

And you're right, the writers clearly hadn't had enough time to flesh out the 3v3 idea. Look at how many teams are really just one person with 2 fillers:
>Snap-boxer's buddies immediately dive out of the ring
>Team SD is just the same person 3 times over
>Did Junya even have teammates?
>As great as the Tryon was, it was Minato's show through and through
>Team Nemesis is literally Lucas and his two supply units.

And that's not getting started on Gunpla academy, which is two cardboard cutouts and an edgelord who could've been interesting if they hadn't watered him down into "Guy who just really likes to fight".
>>
>>13609078
Tournament structure in S1 was great, it let them do proper matches against rivals like Fellini but still allow them to have all their rivals in the finals, once you get to the top 16 and things get more serious.
>>
>>13607020
>Not focusing on the other world
>The guy who GOT THE PLAVSKY PARTICLES INTO OUR UNIVERSE is right there and selling his own gunpla copies
I seriously have no idea what they're thinking of. Did they change the concept team or something?
>>
I wish Gyanko was my big sis.
>>
File: 1427133828567.jpg (84KB, 480x329px) Image search: [Google]
1427133828567.jpg
84KB, 480x329px
>>13609108
It's funny how Minato's team had a better dynamic than Try Fighters ever did.
>>
>>13609153
Oh god, they actually made a vintage-esque cover for Tryon 3?!
>>
but guys, gunpla is freedom!!
>>
>>13609168

This is why Japanese fanartists can be awesome

http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=49437228
>>
>>13609121
Its because it would detract from the gunpla. Being an entirely different world they would have to spend time world building it a bit, have characters specifically from there with different backgrounds, and audience attention would shift from gunpla more towards the other world.

Basicslly it would steal focus. Having Reiji and Mashita from there was fine as they kept it vague and didn't give it any focus. The other world was more plot device than setting. Having the characters actually going there would be a different story.
>>
>>13609185
>Dat mini-Haman kissing dat mini-quattro in the corner
>All the shadings and lining of a 70's era mecha anime
>500 yen
Wait what
>>
>>13609199
I get your point, and I guess my whining has no merit. I'd really like some closure about the Meatbuns and Mashita x Baker tho.
>>
>>13608817
Someone correct me, but I'm sure Gundam rarely gets any BD fixes (Aside from G-Reco perhaps?)

>>13604728
Okay I may have exaggerated there a bit, but in comparison to Shinya Watada, Nagasaki is way more experienced.

Nagasaki has pedigree from Madhouse, Bones, Sunrise and Gainax. He's done alot of storyboarding and episode direction for a wide variety of genres.

Watada on the other hand has worked mainly for Sunrise, mainly for Studio 3 and mainly on Gundam. Watada has shitty experience and a shitty track record. You'd think the guy who has worked on Gundam shows the last 10 years would know a thing or two about what makes Gundam fun, but he drove GBF right into the ground. Fuck Shinya Watada.
>>
File: 1426311882889.jpg (70KB, 852x469px) Image search: [Google]
1426311882889.jpg
70KB, 852x469px
>Junya
>Gyanko
>Simon
>Minato
>Forehead
>Sasuga
>Lucas

>A Meijin (totally not Tatsuya Yuuki)
>Lady Kawaguchi (definitely not Caroline Yajima)
>Dreadlock Ninja
>Meganee-chan
>Sei ~ God of Gunpla
>Greco Hogan ~ a real American
>Italian Dandy
>MASKED MYSTERY BATTLER / Reiji pulling a Char

They had all the characters they needed to make an amazing sequel. It should've written itself.

All they needed was good writing, 1v1 battles, nixing the tournament format and 52 whole episodes.

Everything would've gone great if they'd erased the three protagonists from the series and made it about Junya's journey to redemption instead.

He could've been the new Domon, going from perpetually angry to THE POWER OF FRIENDSHIP.

But no, all we got was Kung Fu Jesus, Slut McTits and "Isn't Yuuma a girl's name?"
>>
>>13609260
>Slut McTits

She's the best slut though.
>>
>>13609271
Not even that.
>>
>>13609260
>Lady Kawaguchi (definitely not Caroline Yajima)
I'm willing to bet they don't want to bring back Caroline as an improved character who has grown out of her stereotypical ojou personality from earlier in GBF.
>>
>>13609224

500 Yen is a pretty standard price for a tape that contains an non-existent opening song
>>
>>13609260
Yuuma can stay, his utter Zetafagness can be a further bonding reason with the God of Gunpla besides being his oniichan-in-law.
Yeah, I know Sei is a SEED-fag but I'm sure he appreciated the other Gundams too.
>>
>>13609305
>I'm sure he appreciated the other Gundams too
If that hypnosis-induced one-man reenactment of the brightslap scene was any indication, he definitely does.

>>13609295
Kek
>>
The Planetary alignment passed
>>
>>13608797
You know what? That sounds perfect actually. The episodes of Try I enjoyed the most were the race with the Tan A Gundam and the last one, so yeah. What you said. It could be about building, different kinds of competitions, (not only GB), going around the world meeting crazy gunpla fans, and fighting the gunpla mafia... and more Gundam character look-a-likes. Like actually making Gyanko and Susumu's father M'Quve? Giving Ral a rival who looks just like Norris and claims to be the best Gouf builder and be 35 years old?

>>13609131
Don't we all, anon?
>>
>>13607683
I believe Lady was a remnant of Fumina being the MC before it was changed as people suspect.
>>
Does anyone have that webm of Tryon 3 with HEATS playing?
>>
>>13609359
I want to treat Gyanko like an imouto so she can look up to me like she des with Sazaki
>>
>>13609291
She was.

>>13609305
Yuuma was pretty boring though.
>>
>>13609391
>Yuuma was pretty boring though
Yes he was. Without the other Try Fighters he'd depend on China and Sei for relevance and interactions and may vey well become a supporting character altogether.
>>
>>13607620

well the thing about Build Knuckle and I said it before was, there was usually a lot more going around in the background or with the characters and this stands out most with the Aila fight.

Yeah it's sill she can't dodge a strait punch but it wasn't about the fight completely. It was about her story arc coming to a head. It was about her escaping from the people using her, it was about her and Reiji reaching out and making a connection and it was about her wanting to win for her own sake.

And losing only helped her because it made her realize she wasn't some freak or weirdo. "She's not special"

So when you have shit like this build knuckle is a lot more tolerable because the rest of the show is so satisfying
>>
It's a pity Try was so boring, but the first episode or two are still really good in my opinion and almost seem to indicate a major shift in priorities or story at some point during the early show. The big thing that distinguished Sekai in the first episode was his ability to affect the world via plavsky particles, symbolized by his ability to cause a wind from within the game board to travel outwoard and affect the players. The episode was even named after that. His martial arts were important, but they weren't the thing that set him important - just how he fought. And within a few episodes that seemed to shift so that they were his central trait and then assimilation was introduced and that was the big new thing he was bringing to the game and so on.

There was also Yuu's rival seeming to change from one guy to another (can't remember his name) and the fact Fumina had less importance than she really seemed to merit and so on. Oh well.
>>
>>13604627
>that look of embarrassment when Tryon 3 appears
Fuck every single one of those faggots in the stands.
>>
File: 1428868738370.jpg (78KB, 694x800px) Image search: [Google]
1428868738370.jpg
78KB, 694x800px
>>13609794
>Fuck every single one of those faggots in the stands.

You're forgetting the context. Gunpla hasn't been freedom for 7 years. It used to be cartoony and fun up until the e-sport got popular.

Unfortunately, the "gunpla boom" brought in angsty, drama-craving undesirables (aka normalfags) who turned the hobby into serious business to satisfy their lust for hardcore gladitorial combat. They're the types who cringed at Tryon 3 for being too childish.

Anyway, 7 years in the BF-verse led to the advent of career tryhards and casual spectators who didn't really give two fucks about the original spirit of gunpla battle. They're a completely different bunch than the happy hobbyists who preceded them.

What ensued was a sad commentary on the state of mecha anime IRL, where a classical super robot powered by hope and friendship can't overcome a flawless shounen protagonist who exists solely to faceroll the competition for the sake of pandering to disaffected youths with a yearning for escapism.

It was a great metaphor that came at the expense of embittering those who realized its deeper meaning. They even had Obari (of badass classical mecha fame) throw in some effort, just to emphasize the point that the era of "fuck yeah" mecha is over.
>>
>>13610008

> Anyway, 7 years in the BF-verse led to the advent of career tryhards and casual spectators who didn't really give two fucks about the original spirit of gunpla battle.

So the Renatos won in the end then?
>>
>>13607607
And, they so wasted her character...or not. She was the only I could care for, but she still feels wasted for not being the lead, IMO.

There was also way too many gundam designs near the end. Well, as Shirobako stressed "time is important to quality".

Also, that model kit looked like butt! T_T
>>
File: 1422966330103.jpg (170KB, 1256x1276px) Image search: [Google]
1422966330103.jpg
170KB, 1256x1276px
>>13610015
Fuck no. The Renatos were creative and put real effort into their gunpla. They came to the tournament not with PIXIE DUST or PLAVSKY HAX, but instead with a pragmatic and original battle plan that played to their strengths and made up for their weaknesses.

The Renatos, along with guys like Greco, Fellini, Caroline, Yuuki and Luang Durarara, were basically the old guard who held up the importance of build quality, tactics and personal growth instead of relying solely on stacked firepower and game-breaking gimmicks.

Their customized grunt was actually the pinnacle of hobbyism, which starkly contrasted Sei's LOOK AT MUH SHINY NEW GENDUM approach to battling.

Unfortunately, the latter winning the world tournament seemingly caused a total paradigm shift in how future contenders built their mechs. That's why (almost?) every real powerhouse in Try had a goddamn Gundam.

The guys who didn't (like Team Free, Lucas' bros, Team GN-X, Shimon's pals, Gyanko, etc.) and even some who did (Team Dragonar) just wound up getting rekt by the new hyper-competitive metagame.

The irony of it all is that Sei ethically bankrupted the very hobby he loved by playing the stereotype of "GUNDAM STRONK" as straight as he possibly could.

Instead of actually proving something by winning with a unit type that wasn't normally blessed by the plot gods, he was the forerunner of the "USE A GENDUM TO WIN" strategy employed by all of Try's aces (including the protagonists).

If the Renatos actually showed up in Try they, would've just been laughed off the screen for using a GM. Such is the consequence of unchecked Gundam fanfaggotry.
>>
>>13607610
>fat
>semen demon
>>
>>13610008
>who turned the hobby into serious business
Aren't you forgetting that the first series had GUNPLA MAFIA who actually settled bets over business acquisitions with an Apsalus III? And that Sei's father was an actual GUNPLA COP?
Try did not have anyone taking Gunpla as seriously as Dozle did in GBF.
>>
>>13604601
Try had a cool gimmick about 3v3 battles, but never actually had them, all the battles ended up being 1v1 with the other 4 just watching or getting jobbed
>>
>>13610136

> Fuck no. The Renatos were creative and put real effort into their gunpla

Which has nothing to do with the point. The Renatos were serious business guys who only cared about winning, not about the spirit of the game and hated the fact that in it for the fun types like Yuuki were the ones getting all the limelight.
>>
>>13610136

>The guys who didn't (like Team Free, Lucas' bros, Team GN-X, Shimon's pals, Gyanko, etc.) and even some who did (Team Dragonar) just wound up getting rekt by the new hyper-competitive metagame.

Please, Team Free was basically a "joke team" that relies hard on RNG for the Battle Table Computer to pick anything with a large enough water body and they got their shit wrecked the moment the Computer decides to go "lolnope"

I'm not even sure if you are complaining at the correct things since those bit characters were meant to job in the first place
>>
>>13610193
They looked like they were having fun to me. Some people have fun winning.
>>
>>13610136
>Caroline
>Old Guard

Uh.......
>>
>>13610193
The call over "no, you aren't having fun the right way" seems very arbitrary. The only dickish thing they did was double-tapping the Abigorbine to make sure it stayed down.
>>
>>13610136
The EZ-SRs had plot armour violently rammed into them. They could have picked off each member of Try Fighters in the first minute, the Burning was utterly defenceless and not a single one of them put a single beam through it.

Fumina's plan to deal with superior tactics and their utter lack of teamwork? Just apply more brute force, which shouldn't even have worked because the EZ-SRs turned into retards who didn't know how to fight the moment they were introduced.

Radome guy got shot down by a fucking core fighter. Shoulder cannons decided he was out of range of a sniper and thus was perfectly fine to slowly move down an open road and didn't dodge a very easily avoidable beam. The leader charged the melee suit for a fistfight. They were supposed to be the smart team and look how the writers treated them.
>>
File: 1415181040596.jpg (23KB, 371x405px) Image search: [Google]
1415181040596.jpg
23KB, 371x405px
>>13610198
Wasn't it later posted on the directors twitter or something similar that team Free actually weren't beaten by team Try but actually self destructed instead when they realized they couldn't get to the water?
>>
>>13610198
The problem is that it was a joke that didn't need to be carried that far. They were a hyped team early on. They didn't even seem to plan for battles that didn't have water. They didn't even try to fire beams at the ice. Instead they clawed at it helplessly for laughs.
>>
>>13604627
I'd argue that S1 treated Gunpla significantly more seriously while also letting it be a fun hobby. Like, S1 had the Gunpla Mafia, the international Gunpla enforcement agency, an orphan girl turned into a Cyber-Newtype, a magical alternate dimension that allowed Gunpla stuff to harm and potentially kill people in real life and the Gunpla Academy's politics involving the 2 previous Meijins and which path the Third would take.

Try wasn't just serious, it was dead serious about shit that didn't even matter compared to the scale of S1.
>>
>>13610274
Sekai did say "i can't believe they self destructed" right after the fight, which sounds more like they fell apart without water, but they literally gave up the moment things didn't go their way.

So yeah, joke team who couldn't handle conditions not favouring them.
>>
File: 64767657.jpg (448KB, 1584x1600px) Image search: [Google]
64767657.jpg
448KB, 1584x1600px
>>13610256
To be fair, the cannon's system was telling him he was safely out of range and punching BB with the taser fist had been working up until that moment.

I think the point was that once their "perfect" plan failed they panicked and team Try's upgrades exceeded what they accounted for.

Radome guy had no excuse though.
>>
>>13610201
>>13610239

I'm sure they enjoyed winning. That was all they seemed to care about though, not about gunpla or the hobby for it's own goal. The Renatos were all serious business when it came to the actual sport and saw it as a war that needed to be fought as one. They rarely smiled or laughed, even when on their own and analyzed everything while changing gunpla for almost every match to ensure they always had the biggest advantage they could get themselves. They also had no respect for any other opponents and seemed to have no respect for them specifically because of the difference in attitude. They didn't care about having fun during the contest, they cared about winning. I'm not criticizing anything they did during the actual battle, because I don't think there was anything wrong in how they fought. They had a shitty attitude though. More realistic sure, but still shitty.
>>
>>13604601
People got tired of more of the same, apparently.
>>
>>13610301
They took things very seriously in that match because nobody supported them. Everybody had the Meijin as the winner pegged and didn't give a shit about them. As far as the audience was concerned, they were just another opponent to be squashed by the Meijin.

When everybody is shitting on you, you're going to end up with a grudge against your opponent and a determination to kick his ass so hard he'll never forget it. To them, the Meijin is coasting on his reputation and needs somebody to give him what-for to remind him he's not invincible.

If they weren't supposed to be designated villains and Yuuki wasn't a heroic main character, they would be very much the underdog heroes. To Renato fans out of universe, this makes them the underdog on top of their unconventional and clever plan when everybody else is just charging headfirst into each other to have conventional duels.
>>
>>13610326

> They took things very seriously in that match

They took things very seriously in general and had a grudge with Yuuki not just because they were the underdogs in that specific match but had a grudge with him in general since they first appeared. They talked about their war and such throughout their appearances, not just that one match.

A lot of the cast went in to the tournament as unknowns and built a reputation by winning. They probably did the same themselves in universe, but because they were kind of brutal in their approach within the game and reserved and somewhat angry at the world even outside of it they probably didn't gain nearly as much support as some of the rest of the cast.

I'm also not sure where they'd really get the idea he personally was coasting on reputation since he was only just after becoming Meijin and won all his fights prior to them quite decisively.
>>
I don't think you have the right to call the Renatos dirty when Nils "touch me and you explode" Neilsen is participating.
>>
>>13610343

I contend it has something to do with the Second Meijin since they commented on how the Third is "soft" compared to him and it annoys me that the scanlations for GBF: AMEIJIN will never be finished so I can understand what happened in the past
>>
>>13610355

I didn't call them dirty though - I called them serious business guys only concerned about winning who precipitated the culture someone complained was prevalent in Try.
>>
>>13610193
>The Renatos were serious business guys who only cared about winning,

It's the major tournament. You're naturally gonna go all out with your A-game and take it dead serious.

The hound was the coolest shit
>>
>>13604601
It was always shit.
>>13604627
Both series were goofy. They were both shit. You guys just grew up.
>>
>>13611417
>You guys just grew up.

Fuck off, Movieblob
>>
>>13611424
both series were shit.
>>
File: 41226045.jpg (266KB, 645x911px) Image search: [Google]
41226045.jpg
266KB, 645x911px
>>13607645
Jyrkiäinen is indeed quite an amusing surname, but when I first heard it I checked a bit and it is actually not THAT rare. And just as it is with any initially amusing surname one get's used to it pretty fast.
>>
>>13612129
Dats a cute Aila
>>
File: 1387194816541.jpg (63KB, 600x374px) Image search: [Google]
1387194816541.jpg
63KB, 600x374px
>>13612137
>>
>>13610056
I cared for her as well, anon.

And I agree, the Super Fumina kit does look pretty bad.
>>
>>13612157
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IreFSLa4Qo4
>yfw Arian is in Gensokyo
>>
>>13610056
>Fumina
Only good for porn.
>>
It was a borefest
>>
>>13610165
Even if it was serious in universe, the entire thing was one big self-aware jab at tryhards.

>>13610227
Lady Kawaguchi might've started off a pleb, but she eventually came into her own as a skilled builder/battler.

>>13610256
Daily reminder that Kung Fu Jesus took a jet magnum from a quality build straight to the torso without suffering any damage at all.

>>13610361
>>13610366
The Renatos were a bit chuuni, but they were the right kind of "I'LL WIN WITH THIS FORK" kind of chuuni.

It's different from the "NO FUN ALLOWED, I'LL WIN WITH THIS INVINCIBLE BULLSHIT-POWERED PLOT DEVICE" chuuni seen in Try.
>>
>>13612166
Well duh... Most of Gundam's female leads turn into straight lust factories these days. Ailya, China, Gyanko, Shia, and ll of the others are total ero-bait.
>>
My main problem was essentially this guy jobbing super hard, would have been really cool for this guy to be the final boss of Try Fighters. Anyone else get the feeling that they wanted to set up for a 3rd and final season?
>>
File: Fn23815.jpg (93KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Fn23815.jpg
93KB, 1280x720px
>>13613747
>>
>>13613747
I have a feeling Bandai asked for a sequel quick before it gets old and busted and wanted this and this model to be included and then the anime staff just had to deal with it and come up with something.

Was it good show? No. Did it work well for Bandai? Most likely yes.
>>
>>13613760

Didn't the Unicorn pastebin say that Build Burning was outselling the G-Self? Can't have been doing too badly in that case.
>>
>>13613760
Crossbone needed to be sold? I thought the Nips could not get off of Crossbone's dick.
>>
>>13613770
I don't think Crossbone particularly needed any exposition to sell kits, but it was a good chance to promote it.
>>
>>13613773
I guess, it was just disappointing that Lucas jobbed so hard, it seemed that they were going to make him the secret final boss.
>>
>>13613774
I don't know that he really jobbed. It was basically 1 on 3. Plus he basically took out 2/3 of the opposition.
>>
>>13613774
Not helped by the fact that he lost more or less by particle bullshit.
>>
>>13613822
Can't beat plot armor.
>>
>>13604650
Also the fight choreography was shit, way too many stock scenes
>>
>>13613835
>>13613822
The whole "limited particles" thing was actually there in the first GBF. That was the whole point of the Absorb Shield, that they could use stored up particles to do things they couldn't do normally. The fact that they had moves that they needed extra particles for directly implies that they're not unlimited. Lucas was just draining particles from his team-mates instead of enemy weapons, it's really no different than the particle bullshit Sei pulled in the first series except that the Crossbone was tuned so high that its normal operation had the same particle consumption rate as Sei's super-special-attacks.
>>
>>13613835
What galls is that it is blatant plot armor that is applied inconsistently to the further detriment of Try.
>>
>>13613880
But the thing is Luca needed particles to do even the smallest of moves, he didn´t do anything special at all.
And then you have team Boring Sphere, fucking blonde guy grew enourmous wings of blue magic and never run out of particles.
The whole battle was bullshit, there is no two ways aobut it.
>>
>>13613880

My read on it in the original series was that each gunpla had a specific maximum amount of particles it could generate at any given time and that this was enough for it to do anything it needed to do, from flying to firing weapons and so on without ever running out. Sei's particle absorbtion gamed the system by increasing the unit's normal threshold using another unit (or the passive fields) particles so that it could do special moves normally not available because they were beyond the unit's usual limits.

And then Try has it so that even the normal operation threatens a unit to run out and they have to constantly be watching it because it could run out at any time. Except when there's no melodrama desired, in which case it runs forever regardless of how bonkers the moves they're pulling are.
>>
>>13613933
It's kind-of ironic, the original series operate by more UC-esque rules regarding energy generation; firearms and weapons run out of ammo, but the mechs themselves do no. Try, otoh, operated on SEED rules where weapons seem to have unlimited ammo so long as the battery on the suit hasn't run dry.

Then again, Nils designed the new rules, and he did pilot a fucking Astray.
>>
>>13613897
>>13613933

And then the lot in Bandai/Sunrise decided to explain the whole energy consumption business in the model kit manual, which makes Lucas' inherent strategey worse since he thought he could just solo Gunpla Arcademy by going full throttle all the time and uses his teammates as nothing but batteries

>>13613939

Well, the MG Dark Matter manual does state that using TRANS-AM like a retard could have a chance to render your Gunpla completely drained and Seiji struggled to move at one point in the finals (though I'm not sure if that has to do with running really low on particles or it was "standard your mecha doesn't move cliche")
>>
I dunno about you guys, but I was thinking what if they decided to attempt to focus on what director Kenji Nagasaki about Build Fighters being indeed Gundam Valhalla. You know, in a world where all Gundam characters live in relative peace and we get to see Slice of Life antics for these guys who never had a normal life in their original timeline. I sorta liked that aspect of GBF with all them cameos - I still have fond memories of the streaming threads losing it to the sight of seeing Chris and Bernie watching Al get to enjoy his giant robots without having people die, Kai and Miharu being able to chat about their personal lives whilst building their faction grunts, the Ronahs not up to their Cosmo Aristocracy horseshit, Haman being a nice mom to a young Audrey, and the laughs that were had when Takeshi was told off by Char while waiting for Lalah to come back with Ice cream.
>>
>>13614535

> Haman being a nice mom to a young Audrey

She was her babysitter, not her mom - because otherwise Dozle and his wife aren't in Gundam Valhalla and if Dozle, who was practically a fucking Viking berserker even in the original show isn't in Gundam Valhalla, then it's not worth being in.
>>
>>13609794
That is exactly why seeing Tryon wrecking those faggots so satisfying.

>tfw Try could've been Minato spreading creativity in the stale gunpla world
>>
>>13613939
>Nils designed the new rules
>he's black

Was /pol/ right?
>>
>>13614544
>Dozle
>aren't in Gundam Valhalla
Of course he is, he was a Gunpla Mafia thug in the first series.
>>
>>13614721
>>13609260
It's sad that literally anyone would have been a better main character than the Try Fighters.
>>
>>13608037
Just wait until Build Fighters Quads when Wing Gundam Eagle and Dino Maxter have their match interrupted by Leopard Print Apsalus and must put their difference aside to defeat their common foe.
>>
>No Rinko
>Not even a consolation milf

Did they not understand why the majority of GBF fanart is her?
>>
>>13615424

Yeah, but wouldn't we also bitch that having another MILF would just be "More of the same"?

Mirai should totally be 10 years older and be a hot teacher instead
>>
>>13613933

I just don't get how Lucas can run out of gas just flyinng and shooting but Sekai doesn't even burn half a tank shooting giant flaming birds and destroying the moon

Hell Build Burning being a gas guzzler could have been the flaw it needed to make the show actually engaging
>>
>>13614535
I'm 90% sure I saw Char on the streets a few times in the first season.
>>
>>13615534
I haven't finished Try, would it being built by Sei affect anything at all, like being super efficient or whatever?
>>
>>13615688

that's not really the issue. The problem is it's TOO efficient it's TOO invincible. It's literally a god mode suit. No one else's shit even comes close.

Just because Sei may be a builder prodigy doesn't excuse the fact that the show's just not engaging because the heroes are never in any danger of really losing. There's no flaw or weakness for them to over come.

Even Superman has kryptonite.
>>
>>13615534
Rewatching that ep now, they seem to suggest that verniers drain particles. His two beam shots towards the beginning are pretty big, but not overly huge; however, they still remark on the firepower and mobility, before Wilfrid wonders "where it stores all those particles"

I'm wondering if they wrote the script and performed the lines before they finalized just how big some of these shots were going to be? In the context of GBF, Lucas' shots are like a 9/10, but in TRY they're more like 7/10s.

>>13615715
Well, Fumina is incompetent, and Yuuma chokes for the first two-thirds of the show, but Sekai always carries them. Always. Except for that one time when Fumina had to show off her new Star Winning Gundam.

That said, you know what really tanked the chances for character development? Sei's emergency parts. If the Build Burning had become a shadow of its former self, then Sekai might have actually had to get his shit together.
>>
>>13615715
Oh I agree completely, was just wondering.
>>
>>13615715
BB is powered by the RG System, which is BF's equivalent of an N-Jammer Canceller. It's the single strongest system in existence and completely justifies the BB's insane abilities.

However, you'd normally expect such a game-breaking mechanic to be used SOLELY by its creator. Instead, the thing fell into the hands of a complete scrub who can't even shoot because Sei decided to hide it in a Dom as a surprise for any random chucklefuck who came along.

There wasn't even any guarantee that his life's work wouldn't just wind up in the trash, especially when the gunpla club was about to disappear by the time Try came around.

Then there's the fact that BB doesn't actually represent Sei's own playstyle, making its very existence one big plot hole.

And let's not forget how some random fuccboi like Sei somehow devised a system capable of generating and manipulating plavsky particles in new and interesting ways that even the professional Team Meijin didn't think of until after seeing Star Build Strike.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, Build Burning makes perfect sense in a vacuum. It's Iori Sei who's the real problem. He's a god-tier sue capable of making models he shouldn't know how to and beating Meijins without sufficient practice. That blue haired faggot is real the source of everything wrong with both seasons, from Build Knuckle to Build Burning.
>>
>>13615817
The Build Burning was obviously made for Reiji if he ever came back. Put in the one thing he and Reiji shared, and specialized for Reiji's martial arts experience.
>>
>>13615741
Like the Red Warriors and SD Zero Gundam, Lucas' super-tuned Crossbone should've been able to run at peak performance without significant particle loss. The problem is that the writers, in their lust to have Team Celestial Faggots win no matter what, overlooked a huge plot hole by giving the CB a blatantly plot-induced handicap.

Tryon 3 also shouldn't have run out of particles either, not when it had three times the supply of a normal MS. If Lightning and Star Winning didn't run out of particles during the beam war and energy shield, there's no way an adversary with 1.5x the energy wouldn't have been able to outlast and overpower them.

Anyway, by the time Try was over it was clear that particle limits were BS. Any doubts were put to rest when blondie's Exia fought almost evenly with an RG powered god mode sue using only a mere GN Drive.

Realistically (and I use the term loosely), Build Burning should've wiped the floor with it like it did every other 1v1 foe. Otherwise, if a vanilla MS whose only special feature was Trans-Am could keep up with Build Burning, then any well built model (such as the Dragonars) should've been able to put a dent in it long before the finals without any mention of particle limits.

>Sekai might have actually had to get his shit together

They could've had BB get rekt by Kouki at G-Muse in episode 4. Sekai would've had to build a new gunpla (Godmaru) on his own and upgrade it as needed later in the series.

There was never any reason for Build Burning to be anything more than a marketing plot that swiftly got demolished due to its battlers inexperience and inherent unworthiness.

As our overlord Barack Hussein would say, "HE DIDN'T BUILD THAT."
>>
>>13615826
So it was made for a guy Sei knew had no way to get back to Earth and who hasn't been seen in almost a decade.

Regardless, Reiji was another problem with Build Fighters. All the MCs of both series were literally garbage.

They could've actually written the protag as some random nobody with no special skills or talents and it still would've been a more enjoyable couple of shows.
>>
>>13615849
>what is hope
Obviously it's illogical he would come back, but the Build Burning was probably made shortly after season 1 finished. And Reji was fucking hilarious.
>>
>>13615863
I had hope once.

It was the hope that Try wouldn't turn out to be complete shit because of a mary sue piloting a god mode sue.

Hope is a terrible thing to have.
>>
File: kain throne.jpg (159KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
kain throne.jpg
159KB, 640x480px
>>13615863
>>what is hope

A bitter illusion
>>
File: 46788403_p0.jpg (392KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
46788403_p0.jpg
392KB, 600x800px
>>13604601
Not enough Gyanko.
>>
>>13604601
They made a business decision to try and sell as many Gunpla as possible by tweaking the series to pander to little kids.
>>
We can all agree that Aila is undisputedly best grill right?
>>
>>13616376

> Not Rinko

You know it's not true that you'll get people to agree on anything, even on that - so why are you even asking?
>>
File: Gaia.jpg (34KB, 350x525px) Image search: [Google]
Gaia.jpg
34KB, 350x525px
>>13615898
DIE, MONSTER!
YOU DON'T BELONG IN THIS WORLD.
>>
>>13610008
What if this was actually a plot point and the Try OVA will address this?
>>
>>13616575
>the adventures of Minato-kun, Maoh senpai, and ero-shisho
I want this. I want it bad.
>>
>>13604601
Does anyone know when the OVAs are suppose to come out?
>>
>>13615849
>>13615826
>>13615817
The BB was explicitly built for Reiji, China said as much when she relayed Sei's "blessing" for Sekai to use it.

And it's not weird for Sei to think Reiji could be back, the guy literally got to Earth by fucking around in the family vault. There's always a chance for him to stumble on another plot device and beam his way back.
>>
File: shino cry.gif (885KB, 500x504px) Image search: [Google]
shino cry.gif
885KB, 500x504px
>>13619442
>There's always a chance for him to stumble on another plot device and beam his way back.
>Except there wasn't
>And he didn't
>>
Why do people care so much about a show geared towards selling plastic figures?
>>
File: 0011i-regret-nothing.jpg (34KB, 499x499px) Image search: [Google]
0011i-regret-nothing.jpg
34KB, 499x499px
I dunno guys I enjoy more Try.
Fumina is fun and the other guys around her.
Sekai is a selfish asshole and can't decide if he is better than the other prince fagget.
Better music on Try although i miss the flamenco.

What is next for the Build Fighters? I haven't been following, will they make more?
Overall both seasons are fun as fuck in different ways.
>>
>>13621678
Why do you care, you probably will enjoy anything surise throws at you.
>>
>>13621701
i rode the reconguista hype wave but i dropped it soon.
i haven't had this much fun since the first Seed (ONLY because of first gundam show, youth years).

Z or MS80 were the last good and fun I saw. (i am watching them in release order so now I am on ZZ,)
>tfw when you still have a lot of good gundam shows to watch.
>>
>>13620753
>4 Cups
>Implying he didn't and Sei just hasn't built him an even better gunpla since then
>>
>>13621678
Two OVA currently in production coming out some time next year. One is for the first season and one is for Try. The original director is returning for the first seasons OVA.
>>
The truth with Gundam Build Fighters and Try is that it simply retreaded the same elements between the two... and most of those elements could only be tried once really.
The "Meatbun Chronicles" is a great example of this, a small romantic dynamic between two competitors which is enjoyable to watch unfold as the battles continue. This is something that Try would attempt to revisit three times during it's run, first with Gyanko, then with Fumina then again with Shia.... and it all three cases the sub-plot would just stall and never really build to anything unlike what happened with GBF.
Another problem that Try had what that the three pilot format didn't really amount to much when all issues can really be solved with Build Burning punching it. Every. Single. Time.

Another issue was this guy >>13613752
Whom despite build up doesn't really amount to anything serious at all. Which can describe the show as a whole really... lots of build up with no real payoff. Tension wasn't existent since Team Try really could not lose, even if they tried. Build Burning solved every issue it came across with a punch or kick or something.

Try was flawed in ways that just made the show a bore to watch. GBF, if anything, was entertaining above all else
>>
>>13621796
There were also less cameos and other cheap Gundam homage moments, which although,well, cheap, couldn't hurt something as featureless as Try.
>>
>>13621804
>> other cheap Gundam homage moments
Both shows had that to be honest, but there was such a lack of things in Try... that even the obligatory AU/UC Reference was unappealing when it came up, only to get punched in the face.
>>
File: 58743038605dec4af80ffbc956aadd6b.jpg (719KB, 960x1500px) Image search: [Google]
58743038605dec4af80ffbc956aadd6b.jpg
719KB, 960x1500px
>>13613752
When I hear Romi Park voicing a boy in a Gundam show, I can only think of
>>
File: gyan of destiny.png (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
gyan of destiny.png
3MB, 1920x1080px
Try had good characters.

They just weren't the main characters like the first one, so the potential was wasted.
>>
GBF was obviously made to shill gunpla but it owned up to it and felt like a love letter to Gundam while still having engaging, even if silly characters. Try felt more like a standard soulless toy commercial that spammed exclusively Gundam types in the latter half had too many plot points that ended up conveniently forgotten or amounted to nothing.

>Assimilation should have fucking killed Sekai in the final match
>Sekai admitted too late in the series that he was being carried by a powerful gunpla but of course the writing couldn't so anything about it at that point.
>Adou's muh wrist
>Wilfrid shows the characterization of a cardboard cutout and we have to be told that he's JUST AS PASSIONATE ABOUT GUNPLA AS YUUKI TATSUYA
>Lady only exists to be a Meijin clone down to using a SD rehash of Red Warrior

but instead of working on the above points, the show wates time on Sekai's harem and Minato's boner for Fumina
>>
File: 1386445267666.jpg (1MB, 3029x2144px) Image search: [Google]
1386445267666.jpg
1MB, 3029x2144px
Honestly you could have made a much better series based soley around the first 3 mins of try. A battle royal league doing various battles. Have two main characters on different teams one a novice the other more experienced. Leave battle damage as is from the first. Have one of the main characters use a GM and as the series go on have it slowly turn into a custom. Show a few dead ends, the "this didn't work lets try something else".

A show like that would print money because you could pander any suit you want and any series you want. You get grunts, customs, basic gundams just doing random battles whether it be in the colonies crossbone vanguard style or fighting over the salt. It certainly be alot more entertaining then watching not shinning finger for 25ish episodes
>>
>>13622630
I have been of the belief for a while that Try started to really go by the numbers the second that they sidelined a character like Mr. Ral (which was unfortunate, since it was due to Masashi Hirose's failing health).

It does make me wonder how much of the show was rewritten due to that since the Captain was a fan favorite character.
>>
>>13621678
>Fumina is fun

Look just say you think she's hot because she wasn't fun. Fun requires a personality beyond GUNPLA YAY!

You can enjoy a shit show, but do it honestly.
>>
>>13622651
This.
Fumina was like the third most awful character of Try. Everything related to her was retarded.
>>
>>13622886
Who were the first two? Sekai and...?
>>
>>13622588
>we'll brake his arm cause assimilation
>gets blown the fuck up
>loses many parts
>stop working
>fine
This show
>>
>>13619442
>makes for him
>leaves in a school for years
>hidden away
Great plan
>>
>>13622891
Wilfrid, the worst rival ever.
>>
File: Screenshot 2015-07-28 19.27.46.png (1MB, 1804x1014px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot 2015-07-28 19.27.46.png
1MB, 1804x1014px
>says the moral of the Try story is that being strong doesn't mean you win all the time
>Sekai always win, even when he shouldn't
>>
>>13622945
What idiot thought it was a good idea to have him get beat just before the finals? That really sets him up as a total bad ass

Remember how Yuuki beat the man who could have been Meijin, even saying he was fighting as Yuuki to really prove he had surpassed him and gunpla was still special? Oh wait I forgot, Only Meijin remains and he is a joke
>>
>>
>>13609641
This

The Nils fight is nothing special in terms of animation. Nice lighting and framing but that's it. But that doesn't mater as it is the emotions that count. We care about both sides and want them to achieve something, there is much more going on there, built up through the show and it is focused on it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSRtFesPEpE
>>
>>
Good competently done characters can save a show with a lack luster plot or action, however No amount of COOL FIGHTS and EPIC MOVES can save the story

You need to on some level have some connection to the characters. We need to have a reason to want them to win. BF managed this in spades by having the heroes up against an actual antagonist. We wanted to see them win against the corrupted CEO who was out to get them.
>>
>Playing gunpla with the girlfriend
>>
File: FGC.gif (702KB, 310x180px) Image search: [Google]
FGC.gif
702KB, 310x180px
>>13610008

So you're saying that it's all a giant allegory for the FGC? Where all that matters now is frame data and tier lists?
>>
It's criminal how wasted Gyanko was as a character. Why couldn't they just make her Fumina's ultimate rival instead of tossing her aside and going with Team Celestial Sphere who no one cared about.
>>
>>13623568

Really. It's already been mentioned a bunch of times in this very thread, but the show suffered from eliminating so many good characters in the first few episodes. Better writing would have kept Gyanko and Simon as genuine rivals for much longer, giving the audience different perspectives and people to cheer for (like Mao et al from S1).

Like, just make Simon Sekai's primary motivator to fight harder and improve. Let them spar constantly outaide the matches and push each other. Have Yuuma help his little brother with techniques for modelling and let the kid rekindle his lost love for Gunpla battle, and step into the mentor role Sei was for him.
>>
Remember that big Musha Gundam that Fumina was trying to get to and fight in Episode 1?

What the fuck happened with that? A fucking huge Samurai Gundam would've been an amazing antagonist.
>>
>>13604601
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCIn18NPscw

The only good thing from Try
>>
>>13623755
I swear a show that was just team Tryon going through a tournament dealing with the fact that the one behind their batshit awesome gunpla setup has to deal with a role model who abandoned the sport after a single loss and then came back, seemingly caring nothing for the investments others have made into it.
>>
>>13623751

I like to think it was Nills
>>
the only good thing about TRY was the TryOn-3
Greatest mecha in the show
>>
>>13622979
I want to put my face in her butt.
>>
Would it have been slightly less shit if "Celestial Sphere" didn't all use 00 suits?

That's a pretentious as SHIT name, by the way.
>>
>>13626519

Not really, unless you really despise 00 I guess. One of them was barely recognizable as a 00 suit and the other two were customized enough that I can't see why there's any reason enough to be get angry about it. The problem with them was how lifeless their characters were (same as most of the cast), how limp they were as rivals and the fact that the even when they lost it didn't really feel earned. Yuu's rival had a broken hand when he lost for fuck's sake - that's something Yuu should have had, not his rival. I don't even know how you fuck up on writing that bad, given how elementary "give the hero a problem so that his challenge is harder and his victory thus greater" is as a rule of writing. Compared to that their choice of suits doesn't even register as problems go.
>>
>>13604627
This. Season one was pretty much a tongue in cheek parody of shows like LBX. It really didn't take itself seriously and just goofed off and had fun.

Season two completely plays it straight and pays dearly for that. Alongside a lack of returning characters, some shit pacing and whole lot of nothing happening and you get a very disappointing sequel.
>>
>>13607690
Hey, not our fault that the Exia is a sexy sexy machine.
>>
>>13604601
The thing about GBF was that it tied itself back to the original Gundam source material. You'd get little cameos like Lala and Char or Bernie, Chris, and Al. Try barely did that. It did it as a typical battling toy show.

It was Beyblade with Gunpla.
>>
>>13626560
Yuuma's whole development is terrible. He has the same fucking I'm a fighter development 3 times. Once when Fumina was doing stuff and she really needed an episode to get some development.

Him being obsessed with a guy who beat him when he was 3 is stupid but he was a kid then so sort of understandable. But still being butthurt and going so far to beat the guy you think it is? Grow up Yuu. In BF he'd have been forced to realise how stupid he was being.

Also for being BEST BUILDER EVER #12332 in the show he never built anything creative
>>
>>13626640

> Also for being BEST BUILDER EVER #12332 in the show he never built anything creative

That bugged me. He's on the same team as Fumina, who actually built something new and pretty creative from scratch and then he's supposed to be the amazing builder on the team? I get that he's supposed to be better on a technical level and that his build is stronger than hers because he got the basics better even if he built a much more stock gunpla, but the thing is we can't see the technical details so that's pretty much useless. Not to mention that it's just plain fucking boring in comparison to Fumina or Sakai who built much more creative stuff as well as being more enthusiastic and passionate about gunpla (and things in general).
>>
>>13626650
It kinda adds to the problem that no one in Try seems to care about gundam, just gunpla that is best at winning

With BF you could sort of figure out what people liked from their suits and many times it made sense, Wing was popular in the west so Fellini has a wing based suit. Never mind characters did talk about the shows and even got into shit like waifus. What was Fumina's favourite series? No one knows
>>
>>13608787
This.
It would've been cool to see a series about people not in the tournaments
>we don't have gbf astray featuring not Lowe travelling the world in search of rare gunpla
>there will never be an Episode where he discovers a g-savior mg prototype and uses it to fight offf gunpla burglars
>>
>>13626692
Honestly, I would love it of the main suit was G-Saviour and everyone just looked at it with confusion and disgust
>>
>>13626691

really the more I look at it the more I see Fumina as a spoiled brat.

>No I don't want to give up my club room and funding even though Im the only member and we have total overlap with the model club.
>>
>>13626822
And of course the best thing to do in that situation is kidnap a kid and tie him to a chair.
Are we sure she doesnt have serious mental problems?
>>
>>13626848
She has SOME kind of problem.
>>
>>13626822
The club situation really makes zero sense. Gunpla is that big and you can't even get some juniors in the school to play? Even going under the logic that the Model club is sucking up members (and Fumina can't join cause. erm quick make a bad character but then also have a girl who likes him so creeping on Fumina is pointless), some 7 year olds don't care about that they just want to bash robots together

I'd forgive it in other shows but it is indicative of how badly Try was thought through
>>
>>13626939
>Cute girl
>Mega popular sport
>Can't get two members to spend time alone with her in a club room

I ran track for three years because I was into the captain of the girls team.
>>
>>13626848
Yes.
Problems she should have kept after episode 1 ended.
>>
A problem I have with team try hard is that they just work together.

They argue with each other with Yuuma being the biggest prick but they fight together in battle just fine.

They never really had a "we have to learn how to fight as a team" episode that is typical for team battling shows like Try.
>>
>>13627086
They never even bonded. Suddenly after the training camp (which was also huge wasted potential with no fun activities or even sleep over to watch some shows) Yuuma jumps on the sekai boner train and any issue between him and Fumina is gone

Sekai basically goes through the series completely unaware of anything, he makes Reiji seem studious and observant
>>
>>13627086
>Gundam SR-8 episode
>"Fumina made them do teamwork!"
>All she did was make Sekai punch harder and Yuuma shoot further
>>
>>13627156

Reiji was at least a goddamn alien so him not knowing this shit made sense.

Where the fuck was Sekai his whole life that he didn't at least pick up some of this shit via osmosis
>>
>>13627229
I makes less sense since Junya and Mirei also trained in Chicken how are you and they turned out fine.
>>
>>13627229
>training in a cave with a grown man and another little boy.
He was probably too busy getting child molested to watch Gundam. And Pedos aren't known for having good tastes.

Wouldn't surprise me if Sekai knew all the names and moves of every character in Pretty PreCure.
>>
>>13627229
Sekai was obviously thought up to have a mysterious past but then they just never acted on it. Like the first episode I figured oh he is gonna be searching for his sister but then nope she is there in 5 minutes, cause they wanted to push figures of her

It's like I don't care about sports, but I know major players and the basic rules to most stuff so him knowing nothing is weird, but Sekai goes beyond that as he is actually unable to understand basic human interaction. And his master was a fucking Domon look alike, how did he never find out about gundam from him? What the fuck happened to his parents? Who said it was okay for him to go live in a cave? I guess his parents cause they sent his sister when they were little, maybe the whole family is insane
>>
>>13627254
We know Sekai´s parents are dead, we saw an altar with their photographs
>>
>>13627264
It is a pretty big thing to gloss over like that, especially when you set up the character to be mysterious.
>>
>>13627272
It's a cultural Japanese thing.

Plus it's more the less the norm in anime these days.

Name the last time an anime MC had parents who were alive and not "working overseas."

I mean fuck, Kamen Rider Faiz one of the characters still lives with his parents and they're in fucking Africa doing laundry.
>>
>>13627286
>Name the last time an anime MC had parents who were alive and not "working overseas."

Build Fighters. Rinko was a faily major supporting character and Sei's dad while he traveled a lot was clearly around enough when Sei was growing up and was also a fairly major supporting character
>>
File: 1395354012153.jpg (29KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1395354012153.jpg
29KB, 500x375px
>The thief guy and his assistant ended up selling gunpla in Reiji's universe as simple toys.

That's cute.
>>
>>13627341
>dat guy just trying to do his job
>ugh not another one of these anime conventions
>I wouldn't mind so much but they're always trying to play in character and take pictures and I got a fucking line going out the door
>>
>>13626691
Basically, everyone turns into Nills before his fight against Sei.
>>
>>13627585

Nils used a totally weeaboo suit that even in universe people were pointing out didn't really make sense from an aesthetic point of view because he was getting cultures mixed up. He dressed like a ninja to do infiltration for no real reason and dressed like a samurai at home because he loved Japan so much. Nils was just fine as a character even before his match with Seiji. The Renatos are the folks you're looking for: ultra competitive folks who don't actually seem to care about gunpla beyond being a means to win and are totally super serious all the time.
>>
>>13626691
Hell, Fellini's rival Greco was using a Tallgeese. There were posters in bedrooms and a lot more quoting of lines. About all we got there was Sekai and Fumina singing Anime Ja Nai or Yuuma making a lame "to put it in Gundam terms, I'm ready" attempt.

Everyone else, it was just their flavor of the month suit, or an original with vague ties to something else. Or hell, Denial, they straight up put it in the show and THEN invented a backstory in the manga.
>>
>>13627657
I liked how Gyanko used a custom R-jarja though, besides looking neat it worked since it kinda is the Gyan´s imouto and there was some sentimetal attachment to it since Sazaki made the shields.
>>
>>13627735
>tfw mega shiki broke her shields
genuine. tears.

by comparison, that was probably the emotional highlight of the entire season
>>
>>13627657
What was the story behind Denial being a derivative of Cathedral anyhow?
>>
>>13628256

If Dalong ever gets his hands on the HGBF Cathedral Gundam (it is a P-Bandai Exclusive) and scan the manual, someone can probably translate the text
>>
>>13628255
It also helped she dropped a few M´quve lines here and there, there was the ding and the whole St. Odessa school concept was nice.
Gyanko was a great character all things considered.
>>
>>13628255
I expected maybe a cute sibling moment where Susumu consoles her and tells her it was his fault for not making the shields strong enough, promising the next ones would be better or something like that. Instead I got nothing, it wasn't even adressed.
>>
>>13607622
A pretty shitty fetish kitbash too.

Bandai fucking sucks with sculpting girl faces
>>
>>13628288
Well I have a denial gundam I can scan beginning of the year
>>
>>13627641
>ultra competitive folks who don't actually seem to care about gunpla beyond being a means to win and are totally super serious all the time.

except we don't see them all the time. We get the odd snide comment but nothing that doesn't suggest a normal level of competitiveness

We never saw them cheat
we never saw them play dirty

I don't think they ever even got in anyone's face at some point. They mostly kept to themselves.
>>
>>13628858
That's kinda the guys point

Everyone else was off being huge nerds with each other, making friends, dressing up and quoting shit. They just kept to themselves going muh superior tactics, even Nils got more into stuff fighting the mega Zaku and just general interaction
>>
>>13628961

Nils was attempting to commit corporate espionage.

The brothers where serious but only because it was the world championship. It's not weird that they'd leave the goofing around at home. Hell for all we know they could be the biggest dorks of the lot

that's not true, no ones dorkier than Yuki but my point stands
>>
>>13628961
"something something a peace spoiled brat like you won't understand" sounds pretty dorky/chuu2 to me.
>>
>>13608797
>building gunpla SOL with ocassional battles
sounds like medabots to me, so yeah it sounds pretty perfect
>>
>>13629046

No, it doesn't. The entire point was that Try was all about muh super serious need to win competitive competitors who didn't do anything silly and that's the Renatos. They might have been super silly folks at home or in normal matches, but it doesn't matter if we never saw that in their actual appearance because we can only go off what we did see. I'm not saying the Renatos are bad guys or even that they were out of place or anything - I'm just saying that if you want a precursor to the bad attitude of competitor in Try, the Renatos are the best analogue in the original.
>>
You guys know the Build Burning never ran out of particles because it literally had a generator for them stuck inside it, right?

The entire concept of the BB/TB was the most hilariously stupid thing. It's like the writers didn't realize the inherent problem of mixing the "fall into a gundam" cliche with a regular shonen tournament plot and expected us to give a shit about a team being pulled through by an ultra god mode suit that is so damn good it makes up for its pilot being the worst.

I feel sorry for Sei, honestly. He built the thing so that it could do literally anything, with its only limits being the pilot's imagination. And then it ends up with some chucklefuck who can only think of punching. And not even different kind of punches like with the Build Knuckle, just the same god damn punch.

I bet China stole the backup parts just to help out Yuuma and lied about Sei supporting them.
>>
>>13629386
hey remember how the culmination of sekai's dramatic fight is that he gave up

and then the try burning just fucking took pity on him and won the fight for him

sekai is the fucking worst
>>
>>13629374
Did anyone even enjoy gunpla outside of winning matches?

Look at the Mega Shiki team. No one ever done that kind of thing before, except maybe Kirara but she's got ulterior motive.
>>
>>13629422
>except maybe Kirara but she's got ulterior motive.

>Start out a vain cheater only interested in own fame
>Become the best character
>>
>>13629422
It's what happens when you turn something into a professional sport.
>>
>>13631044

I can just see people going

>He builds gunpla for thelore
>git gut faggit
Thread posts: 291
Thread images: 47

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.