[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Would a colony drop be something that anybody on the surface

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 8

File: image.jpg (164KB, 1500x1058px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
164KB, 1500x1058px
Would a colony drop be something that anybody on the surface of the Earth would notice? What I mean is, would it cause earthquakes, bad shit ect. on the other side or the planet? Would you hear a huge boom? Just what would a colony drop be like?
>>
File: 20151206_185445-1.jpg (3MB, 1827x2737px) Image search: [Google]
20151206_185445-1.jpg
3MB, 1827x2737px
Yas thought of this for The Origin and put in a little more detail about the Iffish drop.

In it, it actually split into 3 parts that struck the earth at different points in the Pacific Rim, with one of them being the Sydney area.
>>
File: 20151206_185407-1.jpg (3MB, 2437x1779px) Image search: [Google]
20151206_185407-1.jpg
3MB, 2437x1779px
>>13595050
>>
File: 20151206_185513-1.jpg (3MB, 2385x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20151206_185513-1.jpg
3MB, 2385x1836px
>>13595056
>>
>>13595050
>Yas thought of this for The Origin
Iffish splitting up has been canon the entire time, anon. One part hit New Yark, one part hit central europe, and the bottom half fell on Sydney.
>>
>>13595056
Explains why NA always looked so desolate and deserted in 0079.
>>
>>13595072
The New York impact is only canon to the novel continuity.
>>
>>13595050
>>13595056
>>13595064

So thats just the result of one, yet by the end of the first century of UC, there had been what? 3-4?
>>
>>13595141
Operation British.
Operation Stardust.
Neo-Zeon colony drop on Dublin.
Fifth Luna.
>>
File: 1407222166056.jpg (78KB, 1148x880px) Image search: [Google]
1407222166056.jpg
78KB, 1148x880px
It all depends on the kinetic energy of the colony, which in turn depends on the mass and impact velocity.

Keep in mind that the asteroid that got the dinosaurs was around 10 km in diameter, but it was also made of pure fucking rock, whereas a space colony has a shit-ton of empty space and may be constructed of less dense materials (wood and plaster for buildings, glass panels, etc.). Assuming a standard O'Neill cylinder, it would be about triple the size of the thing that created Chicxulub, but not nearly as dense. Half-assed rounding would probably give you something a bit smaller in mass overall.

Impact velocity is the real variable though. Dropping a stationary colony from Earth orbit would give it a mere fraction of the speed of an asteroid that's been hurtling through space for millenia, and then there's also shit like whether the colony had thrusters firing as it passed through the atmosphere, how much of the colony's mass was shed and burned up during reentry, and so on and so forth. Don't know how much of that is documented in various side materials (and for that matter, how much of it conflicts with each other), but odds are that you don't have anywhere near the velocity to cause an extinction event.

Given the above assumptions, you still have a huge motherfucker of an impact. The Chicxulub asteroid flattened everything within around 200 km of the impact point, and created a crater that was 20 km deep. This isn't counting all the debris tossed up (some of which actually achieved sub-orbital velocity and escaped the atmosphere temporarily only to cause secondary impacts elsewhere), the energy transfer that would superheat everything nearby and create a huge motherfucker of a fireball, shock waves causing earthquakes and tsunamis, and dust blotting the sun from the sky.

Operation British would have caused only a small fraction of that, and it all mainly depends on a bunch of variables that nobody besides Tomino probably know.
>>
>>13595170
What about all the air inside the colony?
>>
>>13595170

Well, I know the Chicxulub was 127 Tera and Iffish was only 60 Gig, MASSIVE orders of magnitude of difference. But still, the effects would be noticed in hours world wide right?
>>
>>13595158
Don't forget the one dropped on the moon.
>>
>>13595226
>dropping colonies on the moon
for what purpose?
>>
>>13595176
That would be mainly made up of nitrogen, oxygen, carbon dioxide, and other trace elements that I can't remember. This is just a quick calculation, but using Wikipedia to find the dimensions of an O'Neill Cylinder:
radius=4km
length=32km
Therefore the volume of the cylinder (assuming the cylinder's surfaces are infinitely thin) is approximately 1.608*10^12 L. I'll also go on to assume that there are no buildings or people or anything inside the cylinder except for air.
Wikipedia tells me that an O'Neill Cylinder has half the air pressure of the Earth at sea level, so 101325/2=50662.5Pa. Now we need to find the density with p=RrT. Let's assume a nice balmy 25C temperature, or 298K, and of course dry air for our specific gas constant of 287J/K*kg. So:
r=p/RT
r=0.592kg/L. Approximately.
Now we can find the mass of air inside the cylinder, which should be 9.51*10^11 kg. That's just the air. That's not including the materials the cylinder itself is made up of. However, to compare the asteroid that created the Chixulub crater is thought to have mass in the range of 1.0*10^15kg to 4.6*10^17kg, which is MUCH larger.

Also, something which is massively important, as colonies are positioned at Lagrange points, their relative velocity to the Earth is 0 (unless I'm massively misunderstanding how Lagrange points work). Asteroids are already traveling at speeds of many kilometres a second when the enter the Earth's atmosphere, giving them a much larger kinetic energy when the finally impact. I could do the maths to roughly figure out the kinetic energy of a colony drop if you want and compare it to an asteroid, but I imagine it would be many orders of magnitude smaller.
>>
>>13595350
Titans trying to one up Zeon but as usual failing at everything they do.
>>
>>13595368
Colonies are positioned and dropped using active propulsion.
>>
>>13595350
To destroy Von Braun. The idiots missed it though.
>>
>>13595382
>missing with a colony
shit man what were they doing,it should be literally impossible to fail this hard
>>
>>13595170
>>13595368
This isn't the first time /m/ has tried calculating the destructive impact of a colony drop. Usually the numbers end up somewhere around 300-500 megatons depending on the speed of the colony. A very large explosion for sure but definitely not extinction level.
>>
As you can see here the colony was moving quite fast when it impacted: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hhuyl9nMfmg
>>
>>13595394

hey man, the Zeons missed Jaburo, hell they missed the entire continent of South America with their drop.
>>
>>13595394
>>13595503
Do you think the people in charge of these operations were fired or did they just quit voluntarily?
>>
>>13595428

>300-500 Mt.

No anon, much higher, low gigaton range.
>>
>>13595522
Suicide.
http://imgur.com/a/yEuwy
http://imgur.com/a/yF1SY
http://imgur.com/a/CXpzy
>>
>>13595608
>low gigaton range.

Absolutely not, you are forgetting that a colony is hollow and mostly empty mass.
>>
>>13595522
if black knight is any indication, they shift blame by saying the federation intentionally landed it on their own cities
>>
>>13596098

Anon, Synapse himself said that it was the force of 60.000 MT, that's about 60 Gig.
>>
If I recall the first colony that was dropped also had a nuclear payload, I forget if it was warheads packed into the top of the colony or if it was the colonys reactors themselves.

The point being the Dublin drop and the Stardust memory drop were just the colony with no additional explosion
>>
>>13596161
Reactors don't explode when they fail, it's the complete opposite. What most science fiction writers don't know is that they're designed to operate with the minimum possibility of exploding, so that if something goes wrong they shut down to avoid that exact situation (plus, many more things have to go right for a nuclear explosion to happen, than simply jolting it really hard).

And unless the warheads are in the multi-gigaton range, they won't contribute much compared to the kinetic impact itself. Most probably you just pollute the debris that goes flying everywhere, and there's also the very high odds that they'd be disabled by atmospheric turbulence and fail to detonate at the right time/altitude, or detonate prematurely if set on a hair trigger and blow up the colony in mid-air, severely lessening its impact.
>>
>>13596098
Didn't they pack the colony's full of explosives, though?
>>
>>13595368
I mentioned the air because, assuming the glass doesn't break during reentry (considering it was made for permanent, outer space placement, it was probably made to withdstand similar conditions), the whole air inside would probably ignite when it crashed, which would make things even worse.
>>
>>13596259
Keep in mind that the colony was probably damaged quite severely during the time it took to move it away from the Lagrange point, so it's possible that the majority of the air leaked out of breaches in the exterior.
>>
>>13595428
They should stick to calculating bra sizes, much less variables to deal with.

>>13595522
>>13595503
The Operation British Colony missed because depending on sources, the damage from the battle caused it to break up upon reentry, or it's trajectory was altered by the Federation's fleet barrage, Regardless the Federation played a role in the failure of Operation British and wiping out a majority of UC 4chan's shitposters in one fell swoop. Was it intentional? Absolutely not, and it's an acceptable lose since if Operation British was successful, it would mean the destruction of the Federation's GHQ and the end of the war due to the Federation losing both their space and earth based HQs.

>>13595382
The Titan's colony missed because Emma activated one of the boosters prematurely which disrupted the trajectory of the colony and causing it to miss.
>>
>>13594893
This reminds me,
How the hell are people still alive on earth in Gundam X, Didn't the spacenoids throw everything except for like 2 sides?
It's basically what Char wanted to do with the Axis.
>>
Friendly reminder that thanks to spacenoid organizations like Zeon and Zanscare we have lost:
Sydney, New York and Paris thanks to colony drops
And they left us with a half nuked Mexico.
GAS THE COLONIES 9TH SPACE WAR NOW
>>
File: IM GONNA VIOLATE YOU.png (200KB, 889x865px) Image search: [Google]
IM GONNA VIOLATE YOU.png
200KB, 889x865px
>>13596650
>Sydney, New York and Paris
And nothing of value was lost
>>
>>13596356

>Federation losing both their space and earth based HQs

Wasn't the EFSF HQ a depleted resource asteroid - Luna II or something - that Zeon lacked the confidence to directly attack?
>>
>>13594893
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsar_Bomba

Dat shockwave.
>>
>>13595368
>Also, something which is massively important, as colonies are positioned at Lagrange points, their relative velocity to the Earth is 0 (unless I'm massively misunderstanding how Lagrange points work). Asteroids are already traveling at speeds of many kilometres a second when the enter the Earth's atmosphere, giving them a much larger kinetic energy when the finally impact. I could do the maths to roughly figure out the kinetic energy of a colony drop if you want and compare it to an asteroid, but I imagine it would be many orders of magnitude smaller.
You're indeed massively misunderstanding Lagrange points. Objects in the Earth-Moon Lagrange points share the Moon's orbit and have almost the same relative velocity to Earth as the moon does. The velocity of an object deorbited from L4 or L5 would be the same as one returning from the moon-- around 11 km/s.
>>
File: gundam_x_world_map_by_kyuzoaoi.png (37KB, 1357x628px) Image search: [Google]
gundam_x_world_map_by_kyuzoaoi.png
37KB, 1357x628px
>>13596642

You tell me anon, there were about 35-37 colonies dropped on Earth, AT ONCE and the map looked like this.
>>
>>13596893

Nothing compared to something the size of a city falling on you.
>>
File: destroy all vermin.png (492KB, 602x566px) Image search: [Google]
destroy all vermin.png
492KB, 602x566px
>>13594893
As long as the vermin are terminated it could be worth it.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.