[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello gentle/m/en, just wanted to know if GaoGaiGar is worth a watch.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 5

File: gagagagagagagaogaigar.jpg (129KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
gagagagagagagaogaigar.jpg
129KB, 1024x768px
Hello gentle/m/en, just wanted to know if GaoGaiGar is worth a watch.
>>
Starts off slow and formulaic, but by the end it's probably my favorite super robot story.

Final is ridiculous good, too.
>>
>>13583520

Like every Yuusha show, the first half of each episode is mostly kiddy stuff and very fast-forwardable. Then, the second half of each show is FUCKING AWESOME!
>>
File: gaogaigar final.jpg (164KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
gaogaigar final.jpg
164KB, 1000x1000px
Thanks anons, gonna go watch it right away.
>>
>>13583520
First show is really shit until something like episode 30, which is pretty good, then the show goes back to being really shit until the last couple episodes, which were tolerable at best.

Final is just terrible all around.
>>
>>13583556
Wait for blurays to get subs. Current dvd release is fucking awful.
>>
It's okay, but it really gets hyped up. Not as much as something like TTGL was, but when I watched it, I still found myself expecting much more than I got, especially come FINAL, which was straight up trash.

The TV show is alright, but it's just like any other Brave. The only difference is the higher production values and a tendency to try and make everything out as dramatic and epic, which is usually pretty funny.
>>
>>13583520
I mean, it has its moments, but those moments could only make up a ten minute Youtube video. It also doesn't help that the characters are so fucking awful.
>>
I love it and really recommend if you like super robot stuff.

Just go in expecting and knowing its a monster of the week kinda deal and don't let the hype blow it out of proportion.
>>
>>13583520
It's the Evangelion of mecha anime.
>>
>>13583520
Depends, are you the type of guy to let yourself get carried into hype? I don't mean other people's hype like all these fags in the thread, I mean when you watch something do you actually let yourself get immersed and carried away instead of trying to be a badass cynic and worrying about how childish it is or something. Personally I fucking cry every time I watch this series and FINAL, no pope.

It's a fun ass ride and Guy and J are some of the hardest motherfuckers in the mech game. Designs are neat, music is top notch, cast is fun. I'm not sure what everyone saying "it's overhyped 1/10 don't expect anything" were expecting themselves honestly. Don't know what more you'd want from a 50 episode super robot show than this.
>>
>>13584051
Who unbanned you, Shrimpy?
>>
>>13584064
I'm sorry man I'm just a huge sucker for the whole "party sacrifices itself to buy time for the hero" schtick
>>
>>13583520
IT HAS A FUCKING LION'S CHEST IT ISN'T A FUCKING CHOICE
IT'S AN OBLIGATION
>>
>waugh it's slow motw
I think GGG actually does a better than average job of handling MotW by inserting new characters (mechs) and equipment or abilities / combinations literally every other episode. While it's always MotW, there's constantly something new being added to the lead-up and the fights, even if it ends the same way every time.

They'll introduce this mech, and they'll be key in saving the day that episode. Ditto for the next episode. Third episode, there's a new tool that saves the day, and same with the fourth. Fifth episode, yet another mech saving the day, then in the sixth. Seventh episode, two mechs discover some combination or new attack, and do it again in the eighth. Ninth, there's another new tool, and so on. You aren't left with stretches of 10 episodes before the new toy or power-up makes it debut.
>>
>>13584831
>You aren't left with stretches of 10 episodes before the new toy or power-up makes it debut.
For an example of how this can be a huge problem just look at the Eldoran series. Those all suffer greatly from that exact problem. The Braves, especially GaoGaiGar, mostly do a much better job of avoiding that than most Super Robot shows.
>>
>>13583520
Episodes 1-30 are mostly episodic MOTW that tries way too hard to shove stock footage down your throat.

The rest is pretty neat.

Hint wait for the BD

Hint 2 if there's a risk for you to get seizures don't watch it
>>
Tenryujin stripping...

Anryu's "nipslip"

These will either destroy the series for you or be icing on the cake
>>
>>13584902
>tries way too hard to shove stock footage down your throat.
You must be talking about Fighbird. GGG reduces the amount of stock footage or splices it with other scenes to make it less repetitive.
>>
Hell yeah it's worth a watch. The first half is an above average (and still very enjoyable) MotW show, but it really gets kicked into high gear in the second half. Just wait for the BDs to get some kind of release and don't watch the dub not because it's bad, it's fucking great, but because it's perpetually unfinished.
>>
>>13585021
GaoGaiGar has literally three attacks, all of which consist of stock footage. and Hell and Heaven is absolutely fucktarded nonsense, I don't care how cool Gai sounds when he yells it.
>>
>>13585046
Gemu giru gan go get-the-fuck-out
>>
>>13585048
Look, don't get me wrong, I like and appreciate the show for what it is. But pretending that it isn't a parade of stock footage, albeit very pretty and well-animated stock footage, is a lie.

Hell and Heaven can still fuck right off the edge of my dick, though.
>>
>>13584831
There's a fundamental lack of tension and good writing when the formulaic writing that you just described exists as it did in GaoGaiGar in which the episode's plot device, which also has a less than 1% chance of working (oh no) comes in and conveniently has the specific power to counter the MoTW's unique gimmick. It's borderline schlock.
And there isn't much to the mechs' personalities that stand out or are even remotely entertaining. HyoRyu and EnRyu were static one-note characters, with the same being said about their Chinese counterparts after their introduction. Goldymarg was a borderline noncharacter with how little he actually did in the series as a character and was only notable for being the Goldlion Hammer/ Crusher.
Meanwhile the only thing the human cast has going for it is Hiyama's voice acting. Otherwise, they too, barring J and Kaidou, were flat as all hell with what little character development there is resetting in the next episode. The show spends way too much of its time felating these characters - especially Gai, Mamoru, and Mikoto- to the point that it becomes inexcusably obnoxious with the only way to circumvent these problems being to lower your bar to the absolute dirt.
>>
>>13585056
Newsflash: it's a kid's show even by /m/ standards. You shouldn't be surprised by any of this. It was like the 90s equivalent of Build Fighters or something like that, only slightly less obviously a toy commercial. Slightly.

I will agree, however, that praising GGG as some sort of masterwork is ridiculous. Even just talking about mecha, there are other shows with far better stories and better visual design.
>>
>>13585089
>it's not the literal pinnacle of animation or storytelling so there's no reason to compliment it
Amazing insight. Fantastic contribution to the discussion. "Thing isn't that great." Huzzah.
Fuck, can I go back to the /m/ of five years ago where this style of posting was half as frequent? Not saying you're a particularly egregious example, but even moderate stabs at it just encourage more shitposting. cue MUH HUGBOX strawmen
>>
>>13585021
>GGG reduces the amount of stock footage or splices it with other scenes to make it less repetitive
There are at least 2 episodes in the first 30 made almost of stock footage only.
>>
>>13585122
>post complaining about other posts
Amazing insight. Fantastic contribution to the discussion.

GaoGaiGar is a mediocre show and the post I was replying to gave most of the reasons why, so I felt no need to expand on it.

checked
>>
>>13585130
>GaoGaiGar is a mediocre show
Only for 30 episodes.
>>
>>13585136
At which point it turns into an average show.

Going from a MotW setup to something more plot based didn't magically make it suddenly have depth or character development. Introducing J and Kaidou did, but that's another matter entirely. But anyway, after that point, it was still pretty much the same show, just with an ongoing story instead of an episodic one.
>>
>>13585157
I would say the show starts at least average purely for the general intelligence on display. Especially once they get the Dividing Driver and start coming up woth all sorts of alternative applications for it, there's a big focus on dealing with threats by being smart. There's only a few times that brute force alone wins the day, which makes the desperation of those moments stand out more. EI01 and Zonuda are powerful fights because they show just how thoroughly backed into a corner the heroes are that the only option is to rip and tear with all their might and hope they're the ones left standing at the end.

FINAL dumped all that overboard in favor of yelling, of course, but it's not reflective of the show at all.
>>
>>13583520
It's okay, I let people hype it up for me making me think it was going to amazing but really it was pretty boring until episode 30 then it became at least a little better after that point in the show. All I'm saying is don't expect anything other than Hell and Heaven stock footage(which I personally find boring) and Goldion Hammer but at least that's a lot cooler. Overall I think you should still watch it and form your own opinion on it.
>>
I personally loved GGG, but it did take a bit to get going. I'd say it starts getting good once Volfogg shows up, but when episode 30 hit it was that moment of "yes, this is the kind of stuff I've been watching for" and it only got better from there.

Also, for what it's worth I thought FINAL was excellent.
>>
>>13583520
goldion hammer turns enemies into light particles
Has a fucking robot with guitars as his weapon
Only gurren laggan rivals how ridiculous it is

Go fucking watch it
>>
>>13585705
You forgot : STOCK FOOTAGE GALORE
>>
>>13585813
You forgot ROBOTS
>>
>>13585816
Well, we're on /m/ after all.
>>
It's fun as hell. Everyone talking about plot or writing or characters lacking depth and all that other dumb shit seriously need to reevalute their lives and realize what they are talking about and where they are doing it. You are on /m/. You most likely like or rather liked seeing giant robots go hammer at some point in your life. This show delivers on that. Nothing more, nothing less
>>
>>13585986
I just don't think it delivered enough on that. It was a bit too repetitive in how it dealt with things and it didn't have near the spectacle of something like Getter Robo Armageddon or TTGL or shows like that.

FINAL was closer to that, of course, but it had a whole host of other problems. The inexplicably darker tone and the pointless developments just put a damper on the whole thing.
>>
>>13585986
The real issue is the stock footage spam in the first arc.
>>
>>13585986
It's only fun if you "turn off your brain" and other such apologism.
In which case, what's the point of calling it good if you're having to jump through hoops, change your perception, and completely disregard each and every terrible aspect of the show to come to such an opinion?
>>
>Few years back, watching Heartcatch Precure as it comes out
>Finally got around to watching GGG, binging it when I had nothing better to do

That was when I finally made the Mahou Shoujo = Mecha connection
>>
File: 1295248801871.jpg (21KB, 544x400px) Image search: [Google]
1295248801871.jpg
21KB, 544x400px
>>13583882
>Blu-Rays getting subbed ever
>no Raws uploaded
>niche series
>RX is a normie
>The entire series will cost $500
>limited release

All we can do is pray for an impossibility.
>>
>>13588193
>Blu-Rays getting subbed ever
Taking DVD subs and putting them on BD raws isn't hard. Except for FINAL since those are harsubs shit.
>>
>>13586291
you fucking wot m8
there's nothing to turn off, it's not like it's 00 or something where it's preaching it's balls off at you with some 1st grader morality and constant inconsistencies that you truly have to shut down and block out to enjoy it. This is just a simple show about kicking ass with good designs, fun attacks, great music, a great lead VA that you can't help but shout alongside with. The writing being really simple doesn't mean you have to ignore it. Just take it for what it is.

its a fucking kids action cartoon
>>
File: 1250670229976.png (10KB, 297x300px) Image search: [Google]
1250670229976.png
10KB, 297x300px
>>13588313
Yeah and looked what happened to Getter Robo Armageddon. BD was released and there was no interest in it. A torrent for the entire batch is elusive and not available on nyaa or bakabt in a completed form. I tracked down the BD torrent years ago and one fellow on /m/ uploaded the DVD sub files for it.

It still isn't on bakabt and the nyaa version is all separate files and over half of them are dead. This is only a short OVA too.

GaoGaiGar is 49 episodes long in a day and age were most viewers don't have the patience for more than 13 episodes.

No one on /m/ has said anything about getting the BDs and uploading them. The only one I could think of that could possibly get them and upload them is clawshrimpy.
There is no interest is subbing old anime anymore outside of small devoted groups and for mecha that is extremely limited.
>>
Final wasn't great but the ending made me tear up like a huge bitch
>>
>>13588403
When I first found out about the Armageddon blurays it took me like two months to download them off of some Japanese tracker since it was the only place that had the raws at the time that I could find

Luckily some guy on a random ass forum posted .ass files of all the subs to go with those raws too
>>
>>13588403
>small devoted groups
Or singular individuals, in some rare cases (e.g. Sailor Otaku). It doesn't help that real-life occupations or distractions can sometimes cause groups to either get slowed down, or completely vanish.
>>
>>13588316
>Just take it for what it is.

Yeah, terrible.
And your remedy for that is to write all of its shortcomings off as "it's a kid's show."
>>
>>13588969
its not a remedy because its not a problem. I'm not saying you're fucking lying or some shit. I'm saying all that stuff is true but is not a big deal for some people. Can you truly not visualize a world where people aren't bothered by the same things as you or the same extent as you? There isn't one solid answer for a recommendation. You gave OP your view, I'm offering a different view. He and everyone else thinking about checking out the show can judge for themselves what they value more from both our stances.

You can write the most elaborate takedown of the show imaginable. Go off about how weak all the aspects were and how shitty it was for you. I already watched it and had a great fucking time. I regularly go back and rewatch some of my favorite moments and still feel the same joy and emotion and hype as I did the first time. I'm not going to retroactively hate it because someone on /m/ said it's stupid and OP should know that what was said in the thread isn't some universal truth.

For some people all those negatives aren't enough to bring the whole show down. It still works
>>
>>13589198
This argument would hold a lot of water if not for

> Everyone talking about plot or writing or characters lacking depth and all that other dumb shit seriously need to reevalute their lives and realize what they are talking about and where they are doing it.

Directly challenging people who disagree with you.
>>
>>13589222
yeah i'll admit to that being stupid, was caught up in the standard 4chan overaggressiveness there
>>
>>13589260
You can admit to your faults, anon.
Even if I disagree with you, I can still admit that your courage will never die.
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.