[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Miyazaki criticizes Mobile Suit Gundam and Space Battleship Yamato

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 228
Thread images: 17

File: miya.jpg (87KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
miya.jpg
87KB, 600x400px
And all "real robot" mecha anime in general.

>Today, creators can no longer give heroes spontaneous motives. It seems that for some reason, we have just accepted the vanity of human effort in this managed society. Our old enemy "poverty" somehow disappeared, and we can no longer find an enemy to fight against.
>The only remaining motive is, as in other genre, professionalism. Characters fight because they are robot soldiers, pursue criminals because they are police, beat competitors because they want to be singers, or work hard because they are sports players.
>Of course (we ran out of motives). Even the last resort (of motives), "the organization who wants to conquer the world," bores us after seeing such things several times a week. It would be strange if love did not look so pale after it was so commercialized by Space Battleship Yamato. Yamato started the anime boom, but it's ironic that it was actually the grave of love and justice.
>You can't hate your opponents just because you belong to the Giants and others belong to the Dragons, Carp, or Tigers. "I don't want to lose, but I can understand your position"-- there have been many such themes in TV anime series about robot space wars. They were filled with torn-apart characters, and the audience accepted it as a realistic simulation of the society into which they have to go out, but at the same time, they were fed up with it.
>Professionalism is a kind of no-value view, and it somehow resolves into the "survival of the fittest." And what happens when we pursue it with the excessive expressionism I mentioned before? Everything becomes a game.

http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/interviews/aboutanime.html

Do you agree with him /m/?
>>
>>13538625

Miyazaki is a hack.
>>
>>13538625

So he's saying characters no longer do things for their own sake, but because it's their job?
>>
Miyazaki is a cynical old man.

Who hasn't made a good movie since the 90s.

Fucking bring it on old man. Gimmie a 70s style super robot movie. I'll fucking love it if it's good.

But you'll have to get past your boner for shoving antiwar messages where they don't belong if you actually WANT that.
>>
>>13538640
Partly. Like, when we watch characters, they're motivated because it's their job or their hobby rather than something like the job is their job, their dream is something else, and they just happen to coincide or don't. And with the rise of anime stories where the characters are all "I don't hate you, I understand you, but I must fight you" then we start getting stuff that is just rote and hollow. Like Aldnoah/Zero.
>>
>>13538642

Literally "let's see you do better".

A person does not need to have done a work themselves to be able to point out problems within. Gene Siskel never made a movie, but he certainly understand why good movies were good and bad movies were bad.
>>
>>13538625
>>The only remaining motive is, as in other genre, professionalism. Characters fight because they are robot soldiers, pursue criminals because they are police, beat competitors because they want to be singers, or work hard because they are sports players.
What? This was anime in the 80's and 90's, anime right now is wahhhhh everyone is a special snowflake and we're all friends and have to pursue our dreams

Fucker is out of touch
>>
>>13538699
>>You can't hate your opponents just because you belong to the Giants and others belong to the Dragons, Carp, or Tigers. "I don't want to lose, but I can understand your position"-- there have been many such themes in TV anime series about robot space wars. They were filled with torn-apart characters, and the audience accepted it as a realistic simulation of the society into which they have to go out, but at the same time, they were fed up with it.
>>
>>13538699
>Published by Iwanami Shoten; January 28, 1988.
The only fucker out of touch is you, you moron. He was talking about anime in the 80's and 90's.
>>
>>13538625
>Miyazaki criticizes Mobile Suit Gundam
He never mentions Gundam by name though.
>>
>>13538625
Fuck you Miyazaki, you're shitty movies and the shows they inspire aren't any better. I'd rather watch robots beat the shit out of each other and kill off humanity any day over some boring ass shit like Kyousougiga or Mushi-shi.
>>
>>13538712
So he was wrong then. People were just starting to crave TV shows about giant robots and morally grey characters.
>>
>>13538625
Who listens to the opinion of a pedophile?
>>
>>13538625
That interview is so old, none of the movies in your picture were made at the time.
>>
>>13538808
Would you disagree if someone said this today?
>>
>>13538625
Oh my fucking god.
He's right.
He's just adequately described most western media too.
>>
>>13538625
>It would be strange if love did not look so pale after it was so commercialized by Space Battleship Yamato. Yamato started the anime boom, but it's ironic that it was actually the grave of love and justice.
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>13538625
>>Today, creators can no longer give heroes spontaneous motives

What? How can a motive be SPONTANEOUS. If a character changes their motives on the fly then that means the character is just being railroaded by the plot
>>
If you made anime about the current situation in the Middle East, its geopolitical mess and how US and Russia are involved you would have everyone complaining "I don't get who are the bad guys and good guys!"(well except for IS who are like these super cartoonish bad guys everyone hates) because anime fans can't understand situation like that as G-Reco proved.
>>
>>13538854

He's saying classic romanticism died, I think
>>
>>13538714
He was referring to it as "robot space wars", since it was the godfather of that type of anime.
>>
>>13538625
>Our old enemy "poverty" somehow disappeared, and we can no longer find an enemy to fight against.

I want to see a mecha anime about farmers during the Great Depression now.
>>
>>13538892
Russian Civil War with mechs.
>>
>>13538899
That's perfect. /m/ will shitpost it to no end like G-Reco because they have no idea how real conflict works.
>>
>>13538871
>He's saying classic romanticism died, I think

so basically

>WAH WAH WAH Im old and things are different.

Seriously that's a bull shit non criticism, right up there with saying old video games had CHARM. It means nothing more than a bitter old shit who thinks he's better than everyone else and refusing to let a newer generation have their own fun.
>>
>>13538900
And /a/ would think search their pure waifus in the Omsk government.
>>
>>13538857
The kurds would be main characters because they have most genuine intentions and they're in underdog situation as they are fighting against terrorists but some are also labeled as terrorists(like how Thatcher and Reagan saw Mandela and African National Congress in the 80's).
>>
Miyazaki is not a good philosopher, writer or critic of art.
He is good at making well told simple fairy tale stories. His strengths are in animation directing and framing. Just because he is good at these things does not make him good or the authority on other things. Einstein would be a shit musician and Confucius would be shit at basketball.
>>
>>13538625
This is a retarded complaint because "professionalism" is how most conflicts are carried out. You honestly think the people in the Middle East right now fighting ISIS actually want to be there? This is brutal reality and Miyazaki is too much of a manchild to accept it.
>>
>>13538917
>Confucius would be shit at basketball.
You can't prove that.
>>
>>13538917
>He is good at making well told simple fairy tale stories.

The Nausicaa manga would like to have a word with you.
>>
>>13538924
Whether or not what he's saying is stupid depends on whether or not you believe a story should be driven by realism.
>>
File: kaifun.png (268KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
kaifun.png
268KB, 500x375px
>>13538928
The term "real robot" was invented for a reason. Miyazaki is completely missing the point.

He's a crazy pacifist and ex-communist who thinks everything about the military is bad and that they shouldn't be portrayed sympathetically at all in any form of media. Portraying them as people just doing their jobs is something that would probably disgust him. He's literally an older 3D version of Kaifun.
>>
>>13538927
How is Nausicaa not a fairy tale?
>>
>>13538927
Nausicaa is just some shitty self insert manga about a white knight who wants to fuck a little girl, no different then all the recent Light Novels.
>>
>>13538917
What do you know?

Ancient China loved balls (they invented football)
and modern China loves basketballs.
>>
>>13538927
I like Nausicaa, but only because the ending with the Crypt was so well-done. It's not that spectacular story-wise, even though it does have its moments. The pacing is also completely out of whack, especially in the final volumes.
>>
>>13538917
Einstein merely took credit for the work of a small organization who found the early scribbling of the theory of relativity written by some old german asshole.
>>
>>13538938
Why do you and so many other people here have such a hateboner for Miyazaki? You act like you'll get a prize if you hate him enough.
>>
>>13538925
>>13538946
Ill concede if you can find me a single professional basketball player with any sort of published philosophy.
>>
>>13538938
>He's a crazy pacifist and ex-communist who thinks everything about the military is bad and that they shouldn't be portrayed sympathetically at all in any form of media. Portraying them as people just doing their jobs is something that would probably disgust him.

Are you forgetting that he made a movie about the creator of the most infamous weapon of the IJA, completely whitewashing the guy of any responsibility because he was just doing a job he loved?
>>
>>13538953
Because we don't like to support "NOTHING WRONG IF SHE IS TWELVE" Miyazaki.
>>
>>13538928
>Whether or not what he's saying is stupid depends on whether or not you believe a story should be driven by realism.

Realism or note DUTY and PROFESSIONALISM are still completely justifiable reasons for someone to do what they do.

A motivation is simply a motivation it says WHY you do something, how HOW you do it.

Two soldiers may fight a in a war out of a sense of duty but will have entirely different stories to tell even if they're in the same platoon.
>>
>>13538954

I was going to say "they don't think it be like it is but it do", but that's baseball.

>>13538958

Normally I'd say there's nothign wrong with that, but 12 is pushing it.
>>
>>13538953
I think Miyazaki is VERY good at what he does, which this anon mentioned >>13538917

However, his opinions on the industry or storytelling don't mean jack shit to me.
>>
>>13538963
>I think Miyazaki is VERY good at what he does

well it's like Nintendo. You do the same thing over and over enough times you're bound to get good at it.
>>
>>13538958
>>13538963
It's not really the disagreeing with him part, it's the fact that people seem so desperate to make it very clear. They should calm down a bit.
>>
>>13538962
>they don't think it be like it is but it do
>a statment made on the prevalence of racism in Major League Baseball during the 1970s
I never would have guessed that was what he meant from that wording
>>
>>13538625
>muh spontaneity

Fuck off Miyazaki, get lost with your lolrandom shit.
>>
>>13538955
Jiro was an engineer, not a soldier, and Miyazaki himself originally planned on having him die at the end of the movie.

Miyazaki shows absolutely no sympathy to any characters who actively fight in some militaristic organization.
>>
>>13538969
I think it's the number of "MIYAZAKI SAID X SUCKS, X FAGS BTFO" threads on 4chan that cause the reaction.
>>
>>13538974
>Jiro was an engineer, not a soldier

Who is indirectly responsible for the deaths of hundreds of thousands.

Oppenheimer took responsibility for what he created by trying to slow the proliferation of nuclear arms.
>>
>>13538969
If you want to talk about stuff he said why not talk about the pedophilia?
>>
I think he refers to shit like Gihren was space Hitler all the time
>>
>>13538977
>MIYAZAKI SAID X SUCKS

But he never actually said those things.
>>
>>13538979
In Miyazaki's warped mind, Jiro is absolved of his crimes because he was an "inventor" with "beautiful dreams" and not a soldier. He is being a hypocrite, but it's easy to see why he would think that way.

The one time he portrays a soldier sympathetically was in Porco Rosso, but even then Porco cut all his ties with the military in that movie and becomes such a sad broken shell of a human being that you almost wish he were better off dead. It doesn't helped that Miyazaki has denounced that film multiple times.
>>
>>13538988
>but even then Porco cut all his ties with the military in that movie

And you wouldn't? I agree with him, better a pig than a fascist.
>>
>>13538990
Some people didn't have that luxury, like Porco's friend in the Italian Air Force. The only reason Porco could get away with it because he's literally A CHAR.
>>
>>13538993

No he got away with it because in the 1930s you COULD just run away and never be seen again
>>
>>13538996
My point is, Porco was portrayed sympathetically only once he took himself out of the military. Miyazaki could never make something like 0080 because of that.
>>
>>13539004

Are you forgetting that the guy is wracked with survivor guilt and that he thinks he should have died, not his squadmates?
>>
>>13538988
>It doesn't helped that Miyazaki has denounced that film multiple times

I can't find anything on that.
>>
>>13538938
Because it's true. Soldiers are a necesary evil in this world, but an evil nonetheless. They are a testament to how humanity is cruel and barbaric and that for all our intelligence, we're still just animals in the end.
>>
>>13539014
Watch The Kingdom of Dreams and Madness. He calls it a "Foolish Movie" a couple of times.
>>
>>13538625
Literally everyone here is going to be the /m/ defence force so I'm going to try my best to be unbiased and fair.

Miyazaki is a hack. Tomino is a bigger hack. Both are known for churning out rehashes of the same shit with a new look.

I don't think there's a problem with mecha anime any more than there is with any other kind of anime. If Miyazaki had tried making a mecha Ghibli film I guarantee he'd feel differently; he's probably just butthurt because the biggest names in Japanese animation are Ghibli, his own work; and Gundam/Yamato.

Just as censorship is bad for everybody, stifling entire genres and declaring it the "grave" of something is bad for everybody. When comic books first became popular, someone probably said the same shit about them, too. Stuff doesn't just "die". What was the last time an entire form of media just stopped? Never.
>>
>>13539009
My point exactly. We feel bad for Porco because Miyazaki is portraying him sympathetically, and that detail just adds to it. Compare that to the literal hundreds of soldiers that are casually massacred in Nausicaa (the movie) and how Muska killed all those soldiers in Laputa so coldly. Miyazaki was projecting his own desires into that.
>>
>>13539015
>They are a testament to how humanity is cruel and barbaric and that for all our intelligence, we're still just animals in the end.

Soldiers do more than just fight and kill shit head.
>>
>>13539019
>What was the last time an entire form of media just stopped?
Vaporwave died in 2013
>>
>>13538625
This confirms it. Miyazaki loves G-Reco. Because it doesn't have any professionalism, just people fighting because they do.
>>
>>13539026
And yes, "spontaneous motivations" indeed! Like wanting to rape your sister.
>>
File: spidey.jpg (94KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
spidey.jpg
94KB, 1600x1200px
>>13539089

and it's possible to have a character who fights for duty and responsibility.

It's always about execution, there's no uniform standard one way or the other
>>
File: haman is incredulous.jpg (50KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
haman is incredulous.jpg
50KB, 960x720px
>>13539110
>The problem is that those characters tend to be over-represented in the genre

two things.

1. Anime is not a genre

2. A lot of mecha anime tends to be military and war focused so OF COURSE it's gonna have a lot of people motivated by their job.

>And when you've seen one dutymonger you've seen them all.

Make that three things

and if you've seen one screaming idiot you've seen them all.
>>
>>13539015
KAIFUN FUCKING GET OUT OF THE INTERNET
>>
File: 1431940248850.png (149KB, 460x420px) Image search: [Google]
1431940248850.png
149KB, 460x420px
>>13539172
>He hasn't been mangled into a cynical mess through spending his life on autistic imageboards
>>
>>13538625

Op links an interview from 1988. All the board (or one or two shitposters?) start acting like morons thinking that it was released yesterday.
>>
>>13539195

So the vast majority of the board is composed of 14 years old autistic kids? How unexpected.
>>
>Mecha anime becoming popular again after being dormant for a while
>then this fucking piece of shit starts trashing it.
Fuck Miyazaki, fuck his works fuck everything about him, he has done fucking nothing for the industry.
>>
>>13538625
Maybe this is just lost in translation but it sounds pretentious and vague as fuck.
>>
>>13539211
>it sounds pretentious and vague as fuck
It's a miyazaki quote, anon.
>>
>>13539248
>Uchu Senkan J-Ark

Also, King J-Der SRC when?
>>
>>13538625
>Published by Iwanami Shoten; January 28, 1988.
>>
>>13539274

You are wasting your time pointing that out. This thread is 99% composed by shitposters that hope to gain some genuine raging response. Too bad that's literally two people trying to trolling each other. It's sad, isn't it?
>>
>>13539248
>he will never know the feeling of his characters as a giant pillow

http://www.animedakimakurapillow.com/products/new-soldato-j-anime-dakimakura-japanese-pillow-custom-designer-mistressainley-1
>>
File: 1446640115092.jpg (28KB, 426x362px) Image search: [Google]
1446640115092.jpg
28KB, 426x362px
>86 replies
>30 IPs

Hating on Miyazaki sure is the big hip thing of the last two or so years eh?
>>
File: qC0Mqojz_400x400.jpg (33KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
qC0Mqojz_400x400.jpg
33KB, 400x400px
>>13538625
>The only remaining motive is, as in other genre, professionalism. Characters fight because they are robot soldiers, pursue criminals because they are police, beat competitors because they want to be singers, or work hard because they are sports players.
It's almost like people get into professions that they're passionate about or something.

God Miyazaki your motivations are so thin, you animate and talk about anime just because you work in the industry.
>>
>>13538912
Differences:

1. The Iraqi Kurds are just as corrupt as the rest of the Iraqi state and hate the YPG and other Kurdish elements, so there's probably going to be a civil war there if Kurdistan ever gets off the ground.
2. The ANC are corrupt as fuck and were pretty nasty terrorists.
>>
>>13538625
Miyazaki needs to watch more anime.
>>
>>13538953
Why do you and so many people feel the need to defend a bitter old man who hasn't made a good movie in nearly two decades?
>>
>>13538938
I don't think you've read any of his manga about WW2. He portrayed sympathetic Nazis. In the year that interview was given.
>>
>>13539710
Excuse me, a decade after. I misread it as 1998.
>>
File: 004.jpg (35KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
004.jpg
35KB, 500x375px
>>13539425
No, the big hip thing is defending people or groups who use to make good stuff long after they've only been shoveling out mediocrity for a while, while acting like any complaints are invalid.
>>
>>13539747

Whatewer you say desu senpai.
>>
>>13538625
Nah.
>>
>>13538903
Sounds just like /m/
>>
>>13539747
I'm not defending anyone, tough guy, I disagree with some of Miyazaki's view and agree with some others, but when people don't even read interviews released more than 20 years ago and go full retard with muh pedo, muh shitty movies and such kind of retarded arguments it really tells you a lot about who's criticising him too.

You want to know what I think about that old ass statement?
He's mostly right, anime rarely had decent characterization, that has been true since forever, on the other hand I think he's missing the point that most entertainment isn't meant to be anything more than some product you watch to relax and have a few laughs when watching it, not everything needs to be poetic, naive and full of UNDERSTANDING, I love Nausicaa and Howl's Moving Castle, but I sure as hell wouldn't want to watch those kinds of show all the time because they're just as alienating and flawed as everything else really.
The fact that he is bitter and full of himself isn't a surprise, we could say the same for Nagano, Ikuhara or Anno, but I'll have to say that Miyazaki is also one of those who has earned a lot of gratuitous hate from literal bitter faggots who got offended because he said they liked shit shows, which then caused them to spin the usual lolicon apologies garnered by abundant strawmen and rumours, which makes the opposition look just as bitter and hypocritical as he is.

tl;dr: He's not completely wrong you know? and you should learn to take people's opinion a bit more lightly instead of sperging, especially when you don't even bother reading links or sources.
>>
File: aa6.jpg (63KB, 537x416px) Image search: [Google]
aa6.jpg
63KB, 537x416px
>Yamato started the anime boom, but it's ironic that it was actually the grave of love and justice.
>>
>>13538670
Hayao Miyazaki is not a real critic, though.
>>
>>13538625
Do heroes need spontaneous motives? If so, then how does it work?
>>
>>13539831
I used to think Miyazaki was a bit of an asshole but frankly when you look at the fucking TRASH that comes out these days...

Ofcourse I watch anime like Wolf's rain or Moribito. Those days are over.

Thing is people want sexy highschool girls doing cute things and Miyazaki doesnt make "Precure".

Anime left him behind. Kinda sad.
>>
>>13540122
Does he need to be?
>>
>>13540211
He's been bitching since the 80s though. Anime has and always will be a mix of the good and the bad. And the good shows won't necessarily be free of what you consider bad
>>
>>13538625
When will this Miyazaki meme end?
>>
File: 1448214883698.jpg (42KB, 400x361px) Image search: [Google]
1448214883698.jpg
42KB, 400x361px
>>13540440
when /m/ stops being autistic.
>>
>>13538625
I see Yamato but not gundam.

He also says American movies have the same problem.

It's about entertainment media in general.
>>
>>13540211
Anime did not leave him behind as all the recent anime is the similar to his. As it is about a guy white knighting a little girl he wants to fuck. Anime today does not bother to hide it anymore.
>>
>>13540447
So never then
>>
File: 1448169511157.png (417KB, 439x455px) Image search: [Google]
1448169511157.png
417KB, 439x455px
>>13540473
You never know, Op could be hit by a car tomorrow and die, can't give up hope,
>>
>>13540519
One person being gone would not stop the autism
>>
>>13540538

We'll be facing at least 40% less shitposting in the short term. I would call that a good starting point.
>>
>>13540569
How in the hell do you get a 40% decrease just from one anon being gone?
>>
>>13540577
There are only 2.5 people on /m/.
>>
>>13538625
He sounds pissed off cuz theres no young female protag he can latch onto. Maybe hell say the new macross is the best mecha anime ever when it comes out
>>
>>13540430

Except stick out nails im anime having getting hammered harder. Look at how Yamakan tried to save anime....
>>
>>13538969
It's the backlash from the fact that the other side (i.e. most anime fans) go the extreme opposite and praise him to the point where he can do no wrong.
>>
>>13540640
>Implying Miyazaki watches anime
>>
>>13538977
It doesn't matter if he said it or not at this point. Anons get outrageously buttmad at the thought of an Important Person telling them that their hobby is shit, and even more because this Important Person is a leading figure of the hobby.
>>
>>13540640
He was talking about the late 80s. But I guess you don't read threads and just make useless garbage posts.
>>
>>13540758
>Person is a leading figure of the hobby.

then why hasn't he done anything,
>>
>>13540868
He's directed some of the most iconic and famous anime films within and outside of Japan for nearly 30 years now. He is THE person anyone who isn't a disgusting weeaboo thinks of when you mention anime. If there is anyone who is a leading figure, it's him.
Unless you can name someone else, which I really highly doubt you could.
>>
>>13540881
>He's directed some of the most iconic and famous anime films within and outside of Japan for nearly 30 years now.

You mean Nearly 30 years ago
>>
>>13540868
found the retard
>>
>>13538625

I'd rather watch a real robot anime than most of Miyazaki's movies.
>>
>>13538625

>Ragging on 0079 and Yamato.

He is just butthurt that nobody copies him and his movies aren't relevant outside of Japan anymore. Also he can't sell toys.
>>
>>13538769
>So he was wrong then. People were just starting to crave TV shows about giant robots and morally grey characters.

YOU are out of touch.
By 1988 Anime was already dead.
Mecha anime were a dime dozen and were done to death.
Morally grey characters were all the rage.
You're probably one of those peoples who think Evangelion was one of the first to do all the things it did right
>>
>>13540890
30 years ago no one outside of Japan knew who he was
>>
>>13540890
No, last time I check both Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle came out just a little less than 15 years ago. Mononoke came out nearly 20 years ago. He's also been active after those two major hits. Just because you have no idea who he is or how respected he is, doesn't mean he isn't probably the most important living figure in the anime industry right now.
>>
>>13540899
He said this when he was extremely relevant
>>
>>13539256
>SRC
they need to go big or go home
SOCDX
a figuarts of soldato j and gai would be neat too to go along with J-der and Gaogaigar
it will never happen
>>
>>13538640
well then that is already not true of gundam at all.most fan want them to be more professional, but they always are trying to understand love/possibility/growing up/out for their own goals.
>>
>>13538642
>Spirited Away
>not good
Stop that.
>>
>>13539015
You should read Mars.
>>
>>13539208
Objectively wrong. Also, look at the date before you start raving like a monkey.
>>
>>13540122
Neither is pretty much everyone on /m/, but that doesn't stop us.
>>
>>13538625
I don't even get his message in that rambling
>>
>>13540122
Every time you say something good or bad about a form of media, you are critiquing said media. You don't have to be a "professional" critic nor do you have to be an artist/musician/actor to criticize media. Don't be dumb.
>>
>>13540911

So 30 years ago?
>>
>>13541676
You can say whatever you want, it doesn't make your worthless opinion not worthless.
>>
>>13541701
>2001
>Oscar for best animated feature
A lot more recently then that, but yes he said this 28 years ago
>>
>>13541702

Not like /m/ will ever shut the hell up despite that
>>
>Skillful staff members demanded the model actors to act in a more simple style that expresses itself through body silhouette. They thought that the acting style developed for theaters was better suited for cel animated movies than the style developed for movies. That is why the gestures of Disney characters look like a musical, and why (the characters in) Snow Queen act like (they are in) girls' ballet. There are many disastrous failures in rotoscope. Bakshi's The Lord of Rings could not be a success when it was based on poor live-action. Also, Disney's Cinderella has proved that seeking "more realistic" movements using rotoscope itself is a double-edged sword. The search for "more reality" just expressed a common American girl, and it lost the symbolism of the story more than Snow White did.

From a piece about his opinions on rotoscoping.
>>
Can someone make a list of things that Miyazaki likes and didn't make himself?
I'm sure it will be short.
>>
>>13538757
>boring ass shit like Mushi-shi
You and I are enemies now.

>>13541765
Dude, have you SEEN /a/ recently? Or at all?

Remember that 90% or more of the opinions you see anywhere, especially online, are probably shit.
>>
I don't think he's totally wrong, there are many things that could be priced about our toy commercials
>>
>>13541702
It also doesn't make your worthy opinions not worthy.
>>
>>13541702

Let's just shut off any internet forum then, it's all worthless shit anyway right?
>>
>It was not just because of excessive expressionism that Ashita no Joe, made way past the 1970s, was left behind the times and became a smelly corpse.
>>
>>13541827

I agree on the disney characters moving like they're doing theatre, I also partly agree about Bakshi.
>>
>>13538640
Sounds like he should be the one identifying with them then
>>
>>13541862
>Dude, have you SEEN /a/ recently? Or at all?

That was my point. People here think their worthless opinions have value.
>>
>>13541955
The scene with the Balrog highlights that in particular.

He's right about the Snow Queen too.
>>
>>13539612
Yeah, but you can be passionate for reasons that aren't job-related. Look at 00: Setsuna just wanted to become a Gundam and CELESTAL BEEING wanted to end all war by beating the shit out of all militaries and terrorists whenever they tried to do anything until peace happened.

It feels a lot like an older mecha series because the main characters don't worry about supply chains or legal duties. They're hot-blooded world police with infinite funds and superpowerful mecha that can outclass everything else 100:1. It still manages to explore interesting concepts and innovate, but it's not shackled by the weight of professionalism and bleak grey morality.
>>
Does Miyazaki even do anything these days other than crafting bait thread material?
>>
>>13538917
Getting dunked on by Confusious and Sun Tsu
>>
>>13541995
>What the ancients called a clever player is one who not only dunks, but excels in dunking with ease.
>>
>>13538625
>beat competitors because they want to be singers,
Wait, he's talking about idol anime, right? Were there really that many in the 80s? I know there was stuff like Creamy Mami, which mixed magical girls with singing, but it doesn't sound like he's talking about that.
>>
>>13541985
He partakes in what all successful Nips do: smoke, drink, and enjo kosai.
>>
>>13541955
>I also partly agree about Bakshi.

Yeah but on the other hand, Wizards
>>
>>13538625
>Today, creators can no longer give heroes spontaneous motives.
A prominent modern example that goes against this trend is Reconguista
>>
>>13542064
>Wait, he's talking about idol anime, right? Were there really that many in the 80s?

Miyazaki is a Newtype, along with Tomino. They both predicted exactly how anime would end up. Xabungle manages to make fun of every single "real robot" show ever made and it came out only a couple of years after 0079.
>>
>>13542126
The only G-Reco character that has any kind of motive motive is Mask, and it's shallow as hell. Everyone else acts like a chicken with their head cut off, a staple of most Tomino shows. They're spontaneous, but their motives are not, because they have none.
>>
>>13542879

>I'm a stupid dumbass and I fart constantly while I watch shows to the point that all I remember are the fumes of my greasy chicken dinner last night
>>
>>13538670
The problem with this statement is that it doesn't necessarily mean the person is right either.
>>
File: newtype.jpg (15KB, 263x276px) Image search: [Google]
newtype.jpg
15KB, 263x276px
>>13542885
>I'm a shitposter projecting myself onto others
>>
>>13538954
Pretty sure Willaim Lane Craig used to play college basketball.
>>
>>13543156
>professional player
My mistake
>>
>>13538625
>critizing Yamato and Gundam

dropped
>>
>>13541116
But anon I don't have the money to buy SoC, unfortunately. I only have the old Combattler.
>>
>>13543077

True, but it's generally just a way of dismissing criticism by saying "if X has so many problems, why don't you fix them yourself?"

Which is a flawed mindset because wanting to bitch about problems in X doesn't mean you yourself have any desire to change X.
>>
File: 1442850639695.png (782KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
1442850639695.png
782KB, 960x720px
>>13538625
Is he the Japanese version of George Lucas?
>>
File: miyanno.png (198KB, 500x282px) Image search: [Google]
miyanno.png
198KB, 500x282px
>>13546661
No, but his protege is.
>>
>>13546365
me neither my poorfag brotherbut i think J-der deserves being released like that
>>
>>13538625

What I like about Miazaki anymore is he is actively trying to trash anime. Here is the one Japanese animator, the only one to my knowledge who has won a fucking oscar, and he is now finding reasons to shit all over it.
>>
>>13552001
>Here is the one Japanese animator, the only one to my knowledge who has won a fucking oscar

As if that fucking means anything when Disney is pulling all the strings to get the damn award for publicity's sake.

Also, Otomo's Short Piece was also nominated but didn't win. And he did it with his own merit, not any Disney marketing bullshit.
>>
>>13552011

>Otomo's Short Piece.

They don't make them like they used to. Only saw one part of it, yes the /m/ story, but still...the man (Miyazaki) shits on his own profession.
>>
>>13552052
>the man (Miyazaki) shits on his own profession.

Pretty much any person with a name in the anime industry does. Tomino, Anno, Oshii, even Tezuka back in the 80's, etc. Miyazaki is far from the first.
>>
File: 1441853379683.jpg (56KB, 720x528px) Image search: [Google]
1441853379683.jpg
56KB, 720x528px
Miyazaki sure likes to make people mad.
>>
>>13552011
>As if that fucking means anything when Disney is pulling all the strings to get the damn award for publicity's sake.
But that stupid as fuck logic The Wind Raises should have won

>Also, Otomo's Short Piece was also nominated but didn't win
Who the fuck cares? Despicable Me 2 was nominated, nobody is gonna remember Short Peace much like nobody remember Freedom aka BUY CUP NOODLES the animation.
>>
>>13552011
>As if that fucking means anything when Disney is pulling all the strings to get the damn award for publicity's sake.
Then why didn't they pull strings fro Lilo and Stitch their own in house production?
>>
>>13553016
Weren't they in the process of sabotaging their own productions to push directors towards making more 3D films?
>>
>>13553118
That was a year later with Brother Bear and Home on the Range and they did it again 5 years later with Princess and the Frog and Winnie the Pooh THEN THE SECOND RENAISSANCE and 2D was finally dead.
>>
>>13553142
Honestly, I am not sure what they were expecting with The Princess and the Frog and Winnie the Pooh. They barely even advertised the latter.
>>
>>13553163
It may have been part of a long term plan to branch out the company, but what the fuck do I know. It is true that that killing their 2d allowed them to focus on 3D and later live-action properties ie Marvel and Star Wars. Maybe they really expected nothing.
>>
>>13539015
If something is truly necessary then the evil is in not doing it.
>>
For those who tl;dr

Supers > Reals
>>
>>13553013
>But that stupid as fuck logic The Wind Raises should have won

The Wind Rises wasn't heavily marketed in the US because it wasn't "officially" distributed by Disney, but Touchstone, which is one of their subsidiaries, since the movie was aimed an older audience. Meanwhile, Spirited Away came out in a year where the only thing Disney had to offer was Lilo and Stitch, but then there's this >>13553016

Ghibli movies would usually always get nominated for best animated picture from then on but would always lose to some CGI movie.
>>
>>13553457
> Meanwhile, Spirited Away came out in a year where the only thing Disney had to offer was Lilo and Stitch

Disney also had Treasure Planet out, which had also been nominated.
>>
>>13553970
TP was a huge box-office bomb though.
>>
>>13554036
I know, I just wanted to remind people that Disney had two in house animated films nominated that year and both lost.

Frankly though, I think Lilo and Stitch was a better movie than Spirited Away.
>>
>>13538625
But he is SUCH A FUCKING HACK with his awful movies. They have zero plot and stuff just HAPPENS for 90 minutes. I've seen like 8 of his movies and they're all trash.
>>
>>13554217
I think the glaring flaw in most of his movies, particularly after Princess Mononoke, isn't that there is no plot. It's that they lose their drive a third of the way in and just kind of stumble aimlessly towards the conclusion.
>>
>>13554167
>I think Lilo and Stitch was a better movie than Spirited Away.

Eh, half of L&S is better. The other half is a mixed bag.
>>
All I want to know is why is Porco Rosso so similar to Talespin?
>>
>>13554296
I liked it better in that I felt the characters were stronger. The design and animation isn't as pretty as Spirited Away though.
>>
>>13554217
>They have zero plot and stuff just HAPPENS for 90 minutes
So just like G-Reco.
>>
>>13554376

No that's the good half. The mixed bad half is Stitch trying to be goofy, which is funny the first time you watch, the second time not as much.
>>
>>13554497
bag*
>>
>>13554497
That kind of thing is very much for keeping the attention of the younger kids. I don't mind it much since it has its place.
>>
>>13540881
Takahata, Satoshi Kon. I gave you two, you illiterate hack.
>>
>>13542064
I guess he's talking about the idols modeled after Minmay's (from Macross) image (like in MOSPEADA, Megazone 23, Bubblegum Crisis and so others). For what I understand, idol singers in Mahou Shoujos are completely different, being an idol is just a phase they undergo through to mature and to get the guy they like. Once they find love and stability they usually realize that life is not about being popular.
>>
The thing with Miyazaki is that every now and then he does make a point. But at the same time, it looks that everything he looks for is a reason to complain. He's constantly saying why he dislikes this and that, why this is shit and that is crap, instead of trying to see what's good about those works as well. He doesn't come with an accurate criticism that takes into consideration virtues and flaws, analyzes it in the context it's been made. No. He finds an excuse to dislike it and he hangs to it as if his life depended on it. The funny thing is that this constant complains about the low quality of everyone else's works is very close to the same kind of foul play against competition that he's complaining about in the first place.
>>
>>13556939
>Takahata
Nowhere near as iconic or influential as Miyazaki
>Kon
Dead
>>
>>13556939
>Takahata
Far, far from being relevant, known, or anything close to a leading figure in the industry.

>Kon
Made like 4 cult movies and a shitty 2deep4u TV show before he died, none of which are mainstream in Japan or the West.
>>
>>13557027
>Nowhere near as iconic or influential as Miyazaki
Funny, considering he was one of those that mentored Miyazaki and directed one of the most influential anime of that industry's history.
>>
I like Miyakazi's stuff. After watching the often depressing and serious real robot shows, his simple and comfy movies makes me feel good.
>>
>>13557051
>considering he was one of those that mentored Miyazaki
And?
>directed one of the most influential anime of that industry's history.
Cool bullshit bro
>>
>>13557051
And? If you mention Takahata to the casual anime viewer or average person, you'll get a resounding
"Who?"
Nearly everyone knows and recognizes Miyazaki. He represents Anime outside of Japan. He is literally the anime icon. You are delusional if you think Takahata is more renowned, recognized, or lauded than Miyazaki.
>>
>>13557065
>Cool bullshit bro

Just because someone might not recognize his name, doesn't mean that people won't recognize his movies.

Speaking honestly, the average person usually doesn't even care to remember the name of the director.
>>
>>13557057

Indeed, nice to take a break once in awhile.
>>
>>13557065
>Cool bullshit bro
So you've never heard of Hols? Or even his TV anime works like Heidi, 3000 Leagues in search of Mother, Anne etc?

>>13557068
> If you mention Takahata to the casual anime viewer or average person
Maybe in most of the west (except for some parts of Europe), but in Japan he's as every influential and important as Miyazaki. Maybe to a lesser extent yes, but still a face there.
>>
>>13538625
>90% of Anons are working themselves up over OP's greentext in the mistaken belief that it's taken from a recent interview, when it would take them a fraction of the time to click the link and see that the interview was conducted in 1988.

Thank God 4chan attracts better minds than reddit and tumblr, huh?
>>
>>13557085
>but in Japan he's as every influential and important as Miyazaki
Which is why every one of his films bomb. Princess Kaguya got slammed hard.
>>
>>13557051
What they mean is "less known by ignorants".
>>
I think samuri champloo or whatever it calls partially answers this. It not about profesionalisim....but rather...dunno..maybe friendship and human stupidity...or rather not being a dick...to much bit sometimes and fuck you....because fuck you. but yeah ok it a bit rare to hit it off this good.
>>
>>13557085
Well this Anon >>13557204 basically said what I meant. Miyazaki is the face, the poster boy so to say, of anime. I won't deny that Takahata is important to the anime industry and has contributed some fucking fantastic films to the medium. But again, he'll never gain pop status like Miyazaki, nothing he says will be taken out of context to drive hordes and hordes of butthurt virgins mad on the internet. I didn't mean to say that Takahata is a nobody, just that he, and a lot of other directors and creators, are overshadowed in the West, and sometimes Japan, by Miyazaki.
For example, none of the scientists working at CERN are household names, but pop scientists like Neil deGrasse Tyson, Bill Nye or even Carl Sagan are well known among laypersons of science.
>>
>>13538642
>Fucking bring it on old man. Gimmie a 70s style super robot movie
How about you give him one, oh all-knowing fat fuck who has done nothing at all and never will.
>>
>>13538625

He's basically right lol
>>
>>13557046
>Made like 4 cult movies and a shitty 2deep4u TV show before he died
>Paranoia Agent
>2deep4u

No, 2deep4u would mean it would be vague and leave shit up to interpretation. The paper town episode flat-out screamed in your face the show's message.
>>
>>13538625
miyazaki closet pedo
>>
>>13539790
sounds like everyone on 4chan
>>
>>13538954
I'm sure Barkley used some dope philosophy on Godzilla to make him go the pacifist route and focus practicing his b-ball skills.
>>
Has Miyazaki ever commented on Go Nagai and his works? I think I saw him shitting on pretty much everyone except him
>>
>>13538954
Rodman
>>
File: anime_mistake.jpg (83KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
anime_mistake.jpg
83KB, 800x800px
>>13538625
>Miyazaki missing the bigger picture
>again

Stick to making pedo bait.
>>
>>13538857
>because anime fans can't understand situation like that as G-Reco proved.

The only thing G-Reco proved is that Tomino is a hack. Sorry fanboy.
>>
>>13538903
>right up there with saying old video games had CHARM.

But that's true anon. Maybe if you weren't underage and retarded you would know that.
>>
>>13539015
>and that for all our intelligence, we're still just animals in the end.

That's like saying Humans are still just animals in the end because we eat and poop just like them, completely ignoring all of our advanced agricultural techniques and modern plumbing.
>>
>>13567587
>Anon taking the 1 week old bait
>again

Stick to A/Z faggot.
>>
>>13538625
Miyazaki a shit. Go back to making Japanse Disney shit.
Thread posts: 228
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.