[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are your thoughts on Yokoyamas works, /m/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 9

File: mars05-0001.jpg (1MB, 1391x1200px) Image search: [Google]
mars05-0001.jpg
1MB, 1391x1200px
What are your thoughts on Yokoyamas works, /m/?
>>
>>13520577
I can't tell if Mars is good despite, or because of, its ending.
>>
>>13520577
One of the greatest. His style is definitely hardboiled, as Hirohiko Araki puts it. It's kind of like noir in manga format. Not everyone can get into such "realistic" depictions of fantasy though.
>>
>>13520577

I wish more of his sci-fi works would be translated.
>>
Mars was great. I also really loved Sangokushi. Need to check more of his manga.
>>
File: 18592.jpg (38KB, 225x319px) Image search: [Google]
18592.jpg
38KB, 225x319px
>>13521189
Sangokushi is amazing. I wonder if anyone here has seen the anime?
>>
>>13521198
All the names are different, also unfinished.
Otherwise, pretty good.
>>
>>13521198
Yep. I saw it.
It might not be the greatest thing I saw about Three Kingdoms and doesn't even look 90s despite being from 1991, look more like late 70s or early 80s, but holy shit how it grew on me during the time I watched it.
I was so fucking sad when I was approaching last episodes nad knew that it's just halfway through the whole thing.
>>
>>13521212
>The anime stopped after the Battle of Red Cliffs, which is about the midway through the manga series.
suffering
>>
His depiction of Masamune Date is one of my favorite things based on the Sengoku period.

I don't know if he did anything else based other famous Sengoku jidai figures, but I would love to read it if he did.
>>
File: 魔法使いサリー-001.jpg (610KB, 1299x1500px) Image search: [Google]
魔法使いサリー-001.jpg
610KB, 1299x1500px
One day
>>
>>13521222
From historical things I think he did. Date Masamune as you pointed. Sangokushi. And Genghis Khan. From Sengoku I see that he did Shingen Takeda. I wonder if was ever scanlated and translated to english.

How can such great guy be so underrated is beyond me. He basically created foundations for mecha and magical girl genre. Also created many great historical manga.
>>
>>13521260
>Shingen Takeda

That should be a fun read if they ever translate it.

Speaking entirely out of bias, I would have loved to see Yokoyama's Nobunaga or his take on Kenshin.

Alternatively, Yokoyama's Alexander the Great or Yokoyama's George Washington.
>>
>>13521319
Maybe ask guy who is translating Sangokushi currently. I don't know if he already finished all 60 volumes but if not then he's really close in late 50s of volumes.

Hox Scanlations was it, or something. He probably did Genghis Khan too. I dunno about Date Masamune. But if he did all those then Shingen Takeda might be highly possible in the future.
>>
>>13521219
Damn straight, in my youth I was very inspired by playing Dynasty Warriors and I was lucky enough to find vhs copies of Yokoyama's Sangokushi in anime form. S mad the Red Cliff was where it ends. I read ahead to the part where Guan Yu dies and fuuuuck.
>>
>>13521260
>>13521319

Shingen Takeda is being translated by Hokuto no Gun.

Genghis Khan is already done.
>>
>>13521343
I didn't read the manga yet.
I finished watching this series few months ago. I just love the opening, it's so strong, it pump your blood so fucking much I was always willing to sing along. It's just that great.
And holy fuck the whole soundtrack. The music somehow fits perfectly with the whole thing.

I love Dynasty Warriors to. It was this game series that sparked my love for this period in chinese history years ago and from all TKR related anime that I saw to date Yokoyama Mitsuteru Sangokushi and Gundam Brave Battle Warriors are my favourite.
Ikkitousen was mediocre to bad, and Koihime Musou I started few days ago looks meh and boring.
Need to check Souten Kouro in the future and I hope they will translate this japanese-chinese 50 episodes long anime that came out lately.

Back to Sangokushi, yeah it's one of a kind. I know it's faults, I'm aware of them but with time it just started to grow on me. It's really sad it's only to Chi Bi... from those last episodes I loved the moment when Guan Yu met beaten Cao Cao with exhausted troops after this naval battle and many ambushes.
https://youtu.be/oZup-uJMzqM?t=15m14s
This whole sequence was so powerful when they looked each other in the eyes. And started talking with the music playing in the background.
- Look at him! His getting his blade to my defeated army!
This shit was great despite all it's flaws. I miss it so much.
>>
Liked his Chinggis Khan,
>>
>>13520577
He holds his high reputation for a reason. Truly one of the greats.
>>
File: tetsujin28_7_large.jpg (84KB, 510x743px) Image search: [Google]
tetsujin28_7_large.jpg
84KB, 510x743px
>>13520577
>Yokoyama thread
>No one has mentioned Tetsujin 28

Shamefur dispray /m/.

But seriously, I love Yokoyama.

Honestly, I enjoy his historical manga even more than his sci-fi manga.
>>
>>13522187
>Honestly, I enjoy his historical manga even more than his sci-fi manga.
Be honest. How much of his sci-fi stuff have you actually read? Likely it's not more than five.
>>
>>13522187

His historical manga is usually not fruit of his own research, but adaptations of other people's work. Of course, those said adaptations are fantastic and highly entertaining, but I consider his sci-fi manga to be closer to his "true" work as they're all his own personal creations. My favorite is Babel II and its sequel Sono Na Wa 101, but I love stuff like Tetsujin, Earth Number V-7, Iga no Kagemaru and others.
>>
>>13522187
No translation of the actual T28 manga though.

Sure there's Imagawa 2004 but this is a manga thread I assume.

Hope someone does it eventually... and more Babel II, that one's my favourite
>>
>>13524940
This thread was made to talk about anything Yokoyama related that you want to, manga or otherwise.
>>
I loved Mars.

I know people will say "you see the ending coming", but I kinda wonder if people thought that way when it came out.
>>
>>13524973
We are kinda spoiled since we got to read it way after the fact and I think most people were aware by what goes on in the ending.

I still feel it's a powerful ending with a lot of impact on the reader.
>>
File: tetsujinorigin.png (1MB, 1356x976px) Image search: [Google]
tetsujinorigin.png
1MB, 1356x976px
>>13524973

I think it's more about the number of pages reducing up to the end than it being predictable. There's a point you know there will be no resolution for that conflict. I liked Mars ok, it's not my favorite from Yokoyama, but it's a good read. Babel II is my favorite, but it will take a long time until it's fully translated, especially if you consider the sequel.

I don't know how people would react to Tetsujin, though. Especially if they try to translate everything in order. Some early stories didn't aged too well. I enjoyed going through all of it, but I can think of some people having issues with that sort of narrative. It's not exactly like the Imagawa version. Especially when I saw people not being too fond of Giant Robo, which is possibly the closest to Tetsujin we have translated so far. Part of me thinks they were expecting anything closer to the Imagawa OAV, which despite being a huge love letter to the guy, it's not exactly what you should expect from Yokoyama's dry style of storytelling.
>>
>>13525064
I really liked the Giant Robo manga, thought it was pretty good.
>>
>Mars ending
>predictable
Bullshit
>>
>>13525064
That's not good to hear about Tetsujin, but it is good to hear about Babel I guess.

Well, if only it got translated faster...
>>
File: 1411227933926.png (2MB, 777x1194px) Image search: [Google]
1411227933926.png
2MB, 777x1194px
I liked the anime better. The manga ending is so out-of-place and basically shits all over Mars' characterization up to that point.

The anime, while terribly animated and directed, expands the story without contradicting anything in the manga (other than Mars being a robot IIRC) and the ending makes much more sense.
>>
>>13526901

You're the guy who wrote a review on myanimelist?
>>
>>13527053
H-how did you know...?
>>
>>13526901
>The manga ending is so out-of-place
How can you be this out of touch? It was foreshadowed throughout the entire manga
Protip: Mars regained his original memories
>>
>>13527110
Hard not to recognize people when you're part of a relatively small fanbase.
>>
>>13527831

It's a practically non-existent fanbase.
>>
>>13527903
Especially when its biggest representative is the guy who regularly helps to scanlate MANLY manga.
>>
>>13527903
There are 16 posters in this thread, though I suppose that's discounting things like dynamic ips, but still. 16 doesn't seem that bad to me, just a bit small.
>>13527914
You're talking about HnG, right?
>>
>>13527914
>>13527933

I'm pretty sure that would be Hox, not HnG.
>>
>>13527933
Its main contributor SystematicChaos, yes. The guy is a big Yokoyama fan.

>>13527948
Well, I'll grant you that, since Hox did do Ashita no Joe.
>>
>>13527948
>>13527954

Yokoyama is Hox's favorite manga artist. He's the one who made it possible for almost all 60 volumes of Sangokushi to be translated. And I hope he will start a new series after his work with that is done.
>>
As for Yokoyama related works... Why it is so hard to get 13 episodes of Giant Robo series if it's not even 15 years old?
Same shit goes with Space Battleship Yamato Zero as for not Yokoyama related works... both are related to classics that had huge impact on space opera or mecha genre yet it's almost impossible to get it... and have it translated... fuck
>>
>>13528113

The Giant Robo TV anime is alright. It follows the original story much closely than the Imagawa anime, but they expanded it with Cthulhu Mythos, some references to the live action show and even Mars. What really kills it is the ending, it's way too rushed. It could have been a great series if it had a larger number of episodes. GR-7 was featured prominently in promotional material, most of the times fighting GR-1. He only shows up in one scene and don't even is seen working in the whole series.
>>
>>13528195
>expanded it with Cthulhu Mythos
Oh shit Demonbane crossover when?
>>
>>13528195
>Cthulhu Mythos
What is with /m/ franchises dipping into that and other Lovecraft stuff anyway? You see it more commonly than you think you would.
>>
>>13520613
I like how he's desperate in trying to save humanity for five volumes and then he just let the Earth be damned out of disappointment in the last few pages.
>>
>>13531364

Chiaki J. Konaka is the answer.
>>
>>13531400
He got eoungh of their bullshit... He did everything he could to save those savages and they just beaten him almost to death...

I felt really sad about those soldiers that tried to protect him and the family of doctor that took him in. They all died because of stupid fucks.

But the truth is that there's a lot of such people that would kill you if they or their family were hurt even despite robot/warrior saving the whole planet multiple times. For some people loved ones are their whole world so if they're gone who gives a shit about the whole planet.
>>
He made Char clones that preceded Char yet nobody acknowledges them.
>>
>>13531609
>I felt really sad about those soldiers that tried to protect him and the family of doctor that took him in. They all died because of stupid fucks.

Mars might be one of the few manga series that portray soldiers as good people while portraying the general populace as animals with no control over their emotions.
>>
>>13531364
Weirdfic and other WHOOPS HERE COMES THE PARANORMAL OTHERWORLDLY BULLSHIT BETTER CLENCH YOUR ANUS just works.
>>
File: PTSD Victim.jpg (32KB, 515x290px) Image search: [Google]
PTSD Victim.jpg
32KB, 515x290px
Does the manga version of Tetsujin 28 also end with our hero dying in magma?
>>
>>13531642
Did you read Bokurano?
It's somehow familiar with abuse / good soldier / protect the planet etc. with Mars

As for Mars and soldiers... I sometimes wondered if they might have shared the people thoughts but didn't act upon them out of duty for their country. Their mission was to protect Mars, but they might have felt bad that all those innocent people died cause he was there and those Monsters ravaged the planet.
>>
>>13533298

No.

Last story is about a robot dinosaur called Gyaron. It appears in the Imagawa anime, but it's no big deal. In the manga, it just feels like any other chapter in the series. There's no real conclusion for it all. It just ends. Like I said before, there's no overarching story in the Tetsujin manga.
>>
>>13534126
Wait. You mean the Tetsujin manga has no ending at all? It just stops? Sounds very Gerry Anderson, in that sense.
>>
>>13522187
>Original Tetsujin-28 scanlation fucking never
Why even live ?
>>
>>13534915

Yeah, it just stop at some point.
>>
>>13535402
That bothered me about Giant Robo. At least let me have some closure with having Daisaku shut down BF or something
>>
>>13535594

There's no single criminal organization in Tetsujin. They face villains with their own modus operandi and agenda. There's some recurrent villains like Dr. Franken and Robbie, though.
>>
File: 14041860.jpg (421KB, 1008x1301px) Image search: [Google]
14041860.jpg
421KB, 1008x1301px
>>
>>13535594
Didn't mind GRs ending myself. Then again, I never have problems with those kind of endings, so I guess it must be one of those things you just find acceptable or not.
>>
>>13542245

It's still the weakest of all the three parts. Kinda of a shame.
>>
>>13535594
But they did have closure with Big Fire. They completely chased them out of Japan by destroying their sea base and GR destroyed the other two GR robots.
>>
>>13542717
What three parts?
>>
>>13542789
The manga series is split into three parts.
>>
>>13542838
Thought that that's what he meant. Sorry about that, then.
>>
File: 1407571203310.jpg (151KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1407571203310.jpg
151KB, 640x480px
Thread posts: 67
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.