[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

MST3K Kickstarter?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 7

File: tumblr_nj8zauVxJM1tdjo47o1_1280.jpg (292KB, 843x1114px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nj8zauVxJM1tdjo47o1_1280.jpg
292KB, 843x1114px
Apparently Joel has started a Kickstarter to get MST3K back on.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mst3k/bringbackmst3k
>>
>>13488031
MST3K is the lowest form of humor and if you like it then congrats, you let Let's Plays happen.
>>
>>13488422
>if you like it then congrats, you let Let's Plays happen
If you're talking about the whole "people talking over something" aspect, then I'm sorry to tell you that news reporters and sportscasters kinda best them to it by a few decades.
>>
>>13488031

Frankly I loved the show back then but Id rather let it die with dignity then parade around it's corpse.
>>
>>13488031

1. not /m/

2. namefag

3. its stupid

4. its not /m/
>>
>>13488625
If Rifftrax was any indicator then I'd agree. The first handful were alright but they started pandering hard and fast. I'll give it a try if it gets funded, but I'm not holding out hope for it to be a return to form.

Shouldn't be too surprised though. Between this, Twin Peaks, and X-Files all returning in the next year or so it's basically late '80s/early '90s revival season.
>>
>>13488641

Im just really tired of old series being revived. I don't care if it's movies or games or whatever.

MAKE SOMETHING NEW! Seeing a kick starter like this is basically screaming we ran out of ideas.
>>
>>13488636
>has robots as main characters
>not /m/

Were shitposters on /m/ always this retarded?
>>
File: Bots.jpg (57KB, 800x567px) Image search: [Google]
Bots.jpg
57KB, 800x567px
I want to get hyped, but Jim Mallon poisoned the well pretty badly with his terrible The Bots Are Back stuff, and Joel's not doing much to impress with things like claiming there might be old Brains making guest appearances while they all say they won't.
And Joel's got a decent-sized list built up of projects that never went anywhere, like Gizmonic Antsite, that weird CG cartooning over existing movies project, Statical Planets, The X-Box/TV Wheel.

If they had come out swinging with the new cast riffing a PD short just in the theater or something I'd be a lot more open to being interested. It's very odd to see one of the cheapest-looking shows ever asking six-figures up front.

On the other hand it's not like the absence of this would mean more Cinematic Titanic, so it's not really hurting anything.
>>
>>13488619
The actual practice is millenia old; you would have people write down commentaries and analysis of written texts on the side of pages and have done so since at least Roman times. These would then either be reproduced for new editions/copies of these works or even given new books all of their own.
>>
File: 1341248803963.jpg (369KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1341248803963.jpg
369KB, 1920x1200px
>>13488934

Joel said on reddit that we're going to be seeing more videos detailing the new actors. Maybe a new riff session isn't out of the question.

Incidentally we had another thread but it got deleted because... someone doesn't like kickstarter I guess. /m/ has had mst3k threads for ages.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (13KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
13KB, 480x360px
>>13489101
yeah, even most of MST's specific shtick of "talk over the movie to get more entertainment" was a thing with It Came From Hollywood and showings of Rocky Horror, and some of the old horror hosts did goofy stuff visually interacting with the movie too

>>13489171
yeah if there was more concrete stuff it would be a lot easier for me to get into this

very original spanish-language show unrelated
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOBksjsfs6k
>>
>>13488619
>inane irl shitposting is the same thing as the news
Ebin
>>
dunno what it might mean, but I went to watch KTMA version of Time of the Apes on youtube and Shout Factory popped it
>>
Are you looking forward to jokes about Gamergate
>>
File: 1417124432443.jpg (553KB, 2114x2432px) Image search: [Google]
1417124432443.jpg
553KB, 2114x2432px
>>13490151

The season 3 version is still there.

I notice that several episodes are only available in bad vhs quality now, since youtube is selling the DVD quality versions.

There's always the torrent.
>>
>>13488934
Here's the pie chart Joel just released explaining the costs. Kickstart keeps a substantial percentage of the donations for themselves, apparently Joel is doing all the shipping and distribution himself, and the movies he has planned for the new show are all copyrighted.

>https://twitter.com/JoelGHodgson/status/664941051417751552
>>
>>13492069
Depends on which side they're on. If they joke about getting Five Guys, I'm okay with it. If they joke about nerds in the basement smashing Barbie dolls, I'm out.
>>
>>13496227
they're not going to be on your side
>>
>>13488675

then discuss the robots, fuckhead
>>
>>13488934
Also, who would be writing? I mean, Mike was the head writer for almost the whole run.
>>
>>13496272
I didn't expect them too. Famous nerds cling to their fame because they're afraid of being ostracized again like they were in their youth, so they'll happily become bullies if that's what it takes to fit in with the cool kids.
>>
>>13496339
Maybe you shouldn't take jokes like that so personally.
>>
>>13496398
There's a difference between joking and bullying, especially when all you're doing is repeating the same stereotypical insults that have been made about nerds and geeks for ages.
>>
>>13496427
You can argue that the jokes are stale and I will agree with you there, but calling it bullying is really stretching it.

Like I said, try not taking it so personally. It's just a joke.
>>
File: preqi.jpg (108KB, 1024x441px) Image search: [Google]
preqi.jpg
108KB, 1024x441px
>>13488031
>get MST3K back on

Just let it stay dead. Fond memories are much better than highly-anticipated but disappointing revisitations. Pic related.
>>
>>13488641
Where's my Quantum Leap? i just want more scott bakula in drag and i don't think it's gonna happen on NCIS that often
>>
>>13496460

Funny that, Joel agrees with you.

>But even if everyone comes back, we'll never be able to reproduce the magic of how those old episodes feel to you. No one ever could. People usually think that the “best year in music” was they year they turned eighteen. In the same way, the “best year of MST3K" – for you – will probably always be the year you turned 13, or 16, or 18, and your parents finally sprung for the good cable package. To misquote Rick James, nostalgia is a helluva drug. We can't compete with your memories, and it would be kind of silly to try. But we can try to make something that today's kids (and adults!) can discover, that will give them the same feeling you once had. And hopefully give you long-time fans something new to enjoy, too. That's the goal, anyway.
>>
>>13496511
>But we can try to make something that today's kids (and adults!) can discover,
>Today's kids

Oh lord, it's gonna be horrible
>>
>>13496661
I know /m/ is a concentration of nostalgia and whining about new things, but please have some sense of self-awareness.
>>
>>13496661
>today's kids (and adults!) can discover
>can discover
>discover
Not necessarily appreciate.
>>
>>13496280
CT did fine without him.
RT is doing lazy with him.
>>
This thread was moved to >>>/tv/62693296
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.