[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/m/, I'm a complete anime newfag but I have to ask- should

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 11

File: NGE_pilots.jpg (132KB, 450x686px) Image search: [Google]
NGE_pilots.jpg
132KB, 450x686px
/m/, I'm a complete anime newfag but I have to ask- should I watch NGE? I've only ever watched one anime, but Cruel Angel's Thesis has been stuck in my head all day for some mind-bending reason. I didn't even know I knew it or how I knew it was that song from NGE. It must be some kind of weird Internet collective consciousness shit. Now that I've watched the shit out of the opening, I kinda wanna sit down and watch it all, but is it really as good as people say it is? I also heard the ending was very abstract and unintelligible.
>>
>>13453807

Eva is pretentious fap material for crybabies. Don't even bother.
>>
>>13453807
Just flip a coin to decide
It'll be more helpful than asking here
>>
>>13453807
Honestly I'd say yes. /m/ is a hipster board and Eva is popular so they'll tell you it sucks, but you should just see it and form your own opinion.
>>
>>
I highly recommend starting with End of Evangelion, then working through the main series, followed by a rewatch of EoE.
>>
>>13453958
Nah man, you have to go in blind and experience the immense depression fueled mind fuck that EVA is.
>>
>>13453978
EoE is so much a mindfuck anyone who survives starting on it would want to know what the fuck is going on.

It's how I stumbled onto the series. Just came across it airing on some random cable channel right in time for the mass tang event.
>>
>>13453807
As a guy who didn't end up really liking Eva -- it's an important anime that fans of the medium should watch. It has some absolutely fantastic moments.
>>
>>13454004

Same here, except for me it was Death & Rebirth
>>
It's very important desu it has provided us with decades worth of shitposting
>>
>>13453807
Yeah it's pretty good. Watch the Platinum or Bluray versions since they have the directors cut of episodes and watch End of Evangelion after episode 26. Rebuild is optional but they are sequels to EVA.

Shows pretty good though.
>>
Watch ideon over eva
>>
File: Festum's Guide.png (4MB, 949x1072px) Image search: [Google]
Festum's Guide.png
4MB, 949x1072px
>>13453807
>newfag
Lurk moar?
>>13453896
>>13453911
>>13453913
These are the most helpful responses ITT.

I personally like Eva. It's not my favorite, but I'd generally say it's a worthwhile watch.

Oh and EoTV >>>>>>>> EoE
>>13454319
I'd echo this too. It really has some gorgeous moments.

Oh, and once you're done, go watch Fafner for Eva played straight and better

CAT is a phenomenal OP, it's not really mind-bending to think one would like it.
>>
>>13453807
Just watch it, it's good.
>>
File: Best anime face.jpg (193KB, 1267x954px) Image search: [Google]
Best anime face.jpg
193KB, 1267x954px
>>13453807

Watch the series through episode 24, then watch End of Evangelion. Don't bother with episode 25-26 unless you're a glutton for punishment.

It goes from light-hearted to suicidal edge really quick, just be prepared. If you don't like the first few episodes try the Rebuild of Evangelion movies.

At least try it.
I can say it changed my life and how I look at people, storytelling, science, and the universe. Explanation videos and websites help if you can't follow along.
>>
>>13454470
>Don't bother with episode 25-26 unless you're a glutton for punishment.
Holy shit, off yourself. 25 & 26 were the most hopeful parts of the entire series.
>>
>>13454470
>Explanation videos and websites
that's buttfuck retarded

why should anyone have to go to external sources for info?
>>
File: 1439363309979.png (102KB, 450x443px) Image search: [Google]
1439363309979.png
102KB, 450x443px
I feel like the more involved in mecha I get, especially the stuff that Anno was involved in, the more I see the inspirations for it. Mazinger Z was obvious because of the whole "god or devil" thing, as well as Mazinger's initially horrifying appearance. Shinji is also the antithesis to the Chad Thundercock that Kouji is. So then I watched Gundam and the way Amuro experiences PTSD before adjusting to the best unit on the battlefield, and I can't help but see the similarities there. But sure, that's just a mecha trope, so maybe it's no big deal. Ultraman has the same (albeit slightly more limiting) time gimmick as the Eva units. On top of that, if you compare the Eva's proportions to the stylized human characters, they kind of look like suited actors (something which Anno himself has said).
Then I see Nadesico in SRW, and holy shit these robots are the same fucking thing as the Eva units. The pilots wear the same plugsuits, the robots have "distortion fields" (which admittedly I don't fully understand), and they use the same weapons (a vibration knife, and a robo-sized generic assault rifle).

My point is that Evangelion isn't something you can watch first. For some reason in America, TTGL and Eva are way more popular than their incredibly more influential (and JP popular) source material, and this causes problems with American fans of the later.
>>
>>13454532
You captured my feelings exactly. It's a weird, rewarding experience you get when you rewatch Eva and see all the influences in it.

I haven't watched Ultraman yet, but I am reading Devilman, and I can see how Ryo-Akira set the tone for how a lot of mecha rivalries are written, not just Shinji/Kaworu.
>>
>>13453807

The thing to understand about Eva is that the robots are important to the Big Plot, but are actually onscreen for a fraction of the runtime. Most of the show is following the Eva pilots, mostly Shinji, and watching them struggle with their incredibly broken lives/each other.

The parts of Evangelion that made it stand out in history were written by a man going through clinical depression. For a lot of people, this is a story that is going to hit you where you live and its going to make the show seem amazing. But if the show doesn't click with you, you just spend a lot of time watching people being broken and waiting for the robots to do something cool. So it really is a show that ends up in your top 10 or bottom 10 with very little room in between.

This is one of the reasons why the show gets the reputation that it does, because the people that like Eva tend to REALLY like Eva, and the ones who didn't like Eva can't understand why. So you get a lot of people screaming 'ITS THE BEST THING EVER, THERE IS NOTHING ELSE LIKE IT' and 'NO ITS SHIT, [SHOW] DID THIS THING FIRST' followed by 'BITCH YOU DONT UNDERSTAND' at each other.

That said, even ignoring all of that you would have to be really salty to say that the show isn't wonderfully direct and really beautiful. The animation quality is 90s, of course, but the shot composition Anno uses make episodes absolutely chock full of scenes and images that look they could go on post cards or posters. For lack of a better word, it is iconic as fuck.

So yes, I would say give it a watch. If you like it, you will be super glad you saw it. If it doesn't gel for you, at least you will get references to it in the future.
>>
Eva's worth a watch
But I swear to god if you miss the main message of the show despite an entire fucking episode dedicated to spelling it out to you I'm going to find you and slap you
>>
>>13454470
What the fuck? Episode 25 and 26 are crucial and they're going on in the background of EoE
>>
>>13454470
>Watch Rebuild before the show

What? Man what the fuck? Rebuild is a sequel you dumbass
>>
>>13453807
Just make sure you watch Ideon at some point too
>>
>>13455560
>The thing to understand about Eva is that the robots are important to the Big Plot, but are actually onscreen for a fraction of the runtime. Most of the show is following the Eva pilots

Welcome to mecha, newfag. Enjoy your stay.
>>
>>13453807

Watch it! Don't expect it to be the best anime ever or the worst. Just enjoy the mysterious atmosphere and mecha/monster battle. If you don't know a lot about it, that's even better. It has a few surprises.
>>
>>13453807

Just watch Rahxephon instead.
>>
>>13454470
This guy is fucking retarded don't listen to him
>>
>>13455591

Best advice in this thread.
>>
>>13455581
Is it still good even when you know about the ending?
>>
>>13453807
evangelion is shit but just fucking watch it for yourself
>>
>>13453978
>Nah man, you have to go in blind and experience the immense depression fueled mind fuck that EVA is.
this is where deepfags are born
>>
>>13455581
and read devilman manga
>>
File: 1423864016901.png (16KB, 605x614px) Image search: [Google]
1423864016901.png
16KB, 605x614px
>>13456035
>>
The only way to have a real opinion on it is to watch it yourself.
>>
>>13454532

Did you just imply Nadesico influenced Eva? Or pointing out Eva's influence on anime that came after it?
>>
>>13455591
Good advice, this.

>>13456026
Yes, because 90% of the time, the things you hear about the ending are either bullshit or related to the TV Ending (which is clearly rushed and doesn't take the time to explain itself fully)
>>
It's worth watching.

Chronological order. I recommend that you skip the Rebuilds and anything post EoE. It's just not very good.
>>
>>13456553
>which is clearly rushed
Not this shit again.
>>
>>13455599
Rahxephon is just Eva with slower pacing and more wtf. I watched both all the way through during the summer for the first time, personally I enjoyed Eva more.
>>
Anyone know if there are any well-drawn doujins or image sets where Asuka mostly has this outfit on?
>>
>>13456770
Try the internet, heard they got lots of filthy shit.
>>
>>13456775
I wasn't aware this board existed outside of the internet.
>>
>>13456781
We're pretty special here.
>>
>>13456770
Asuka is probably the most drawn anime bitch ever.
Her or Rei.
>>
>>13454347
I think Fafner is better too
>>
>>13453807
Watch it, it's pretty good. Even if you don't like its whole pretentious schtick there's more to it than that. It's very well made, and personally I really like the characters, action, designs and the somewhat "realistic" take on the genre. it's just that would've been happier with it if it went full sci-fi instead of full 2deep4u in the end.
>>
File: 1443957496952.png (139KB, 380x302px) Image search: [Google]
1443957496952.png
139KB, 380x302px
>>13455581
When the hell are the blurays finally going to get completely subbed?
>>
>>13453807
It's one of those anime that you'll be required to have an opinion of, whether you've seen it or not.
So might as well give it a watch.
>>
>>13456627

If all those scenes that use recycled cels over new backgrounds and fucking storyboards aren't rushed, what are they
>>
>>13457870

Lacking in funds. They had plenty of time, what they lacked was budget.
>>
>>13456570
I'd recommend Rebuild 1.

To me it's the most successful at capturing what Rebuild went for. It's at first glance a sort of recap film that updates the animation to more modern standards, and then you hit Ramiel and Anno just t-bones you with the revelation that things are going to go tits up real hard in this iteration of the story compared to the TV series.

And really, how can you hate Rebuild Ramiel? Anime Ramiel is great for being a simple yet deadly floating rhomboid of doom but Rebuild Ramiel seriously nailed the alien otherness thanks to the ridiculous CGI morphing.
>>
It's good
You start watching for the evas and then stay for the characters.
>>
>>13457619
Why not just take the subs and dubs from the platinum version?
>>
>>13458009
Let's not forget that Ramiels rebuild shape heavily implies that it's a 3d projection of a 4d shape.
>>
>>13453807
I would normally tell you to go watch some of the better or more important mecha out there first: 0079, Macross, VOTOMS, maybe Ideon. The reason is that Eva is kind of like Big O; its a 90s 'homage' anime that mixes up and improves on old tropes and ideas.

It would be hard to appreciate the biomechanical and kinda religious twist if you've never seen other mecha shows for comparison. The links to Ideon and Ultraman wouldn't be clear. It'd just be more enjoyable as an afterthought to some other shows.

Skip the BS about 'deepness' and 'mindfuck'. Check your brain out, skip the last episode, and have fun. The fight scenes are cool, the mechanical designs are neat and well-animated, and the plugsuits are hot. That's the value of the series, plus any homages you might miss.
>>
>>13453807
I personally love Eva, but it's not for everyone.
If you aren't going to empathize with broken messed up individuals, it's not for you.
It's the type of anime you can only love if things are falling apart around you, because that's exactly what it's about. Dealing with your problems as your world crumbles around you.
It's about family issues, trust issues, lots and lots of issues.
For the love of god don't watch it as an anime noob.
>>
>>13459483
It's been a while since I went through the series, but last I recall a respectable chunk of it is still, against all belief, genuinely goofy goobers goobering.

Though, I might be overestimating it. It has been a while, I'll admit.
>>
>>13456553
>doesn't take the time to explain itself fully
Spotted the redditor
Thread posts: 60
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.