[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Turn A box 1 will have swappable covers. Right Stuf just tweeted this.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 4

File: azesH.jpg (65KB, 618x489px) Image search: [Google]
azesH.jpg
65KB, 618x489px
Turn A box 1 will have swappable covers. Right Stuf just tweeted this.
>>
>Europoors without credit cards still fucked up their asses
Jesus Christ, I hate this shit ;_;
>>
>>12516581
>Uses the BD cover even though it's not on BD
>>
>>12516645
True suffering.
>>
>>12516645
>the BDs will never be available outside Japan
Thank you for your encode, based RX
>>
>>12516650
Don't say that, you never know, though Sunrise isn't being helpful really. I just find the use of the BD cover art kind of painfully ironic given the absence of any BD release. I'm sure RS was just using whatever was nice for the set and good on them for making it a small bonus, but again, the irony stands.
>>
>>12516581
I honestly would buy them if they were BDs I would probably spend twice as much if needed to as well but I don't want DVDs they are so irrelevant now I don't own a player for them.
>>
>>12516645
Speaking of which, are you planning on synching the official subs to the BD? I'm too lazy to do it myself.
>>
>>12516650
>>12516645
>>12516647
If you fuckers buy the dvd's, they will probably bring thr blu rays over here you know.
Also, it should be noted that as this was a show shot on film and animated on cels, for standard definition TV, the BD's don't actually look that impressive, and the uncompressed DVD video quality will look quite good on your blu ray players. It will also mask distortion caused by Digital Noise Reduction that is more noticeable in 1080p.

I'm personally very excited for the DVDs

>>12516663
You do know blu ray players can play DVD right?
>>
>>12516663
Wait, you have a Bluray player that doesn't do regular DVD?

Personally, I'll probably only watch the DVDs a little to see how they differ from the old versions; I'm mostly just buying it to support Gundam in the states. I'll stick to EG's BD encode for actual watching.
>>
>>12516677
>implying I didn't buy the DVDs
Just because I'd prefer the BDs doesn't mean I'm not going to support what little we get. I've been waiting for a Western Turn A release ever since Bandai America pulled the rug out from under us.
>>
>>12516677
>they will probably bring thr blu rays over here you know.
So you would buy it another time? That makes no fucking sense.
>>
>>12516687
I would. Because I want Gundam to continue being sold stateside. Plus, i can give my extra copy to a friend as a gift.
>>
>>12516687
>That makes no fucking sense.
Japanese anime sales in general make no fucking sense. The reason the anime market in the West collapsed to begin with is that the distributors want to sell at nip prices.
>>
>>12516691
This. If the BDs come out, I can give my DVD copy to a friend in need of better anime, or donate it to my uni's >anime club in hopes of improving their taste.
>>
>>12516677
I will wait before making that decision.

What if Sunrise gives RS the old masters "just because" it's a DVD release? It's unlikely, since Bandai-Ent negotiated for the 0079 remaster way back when, but on the other hand, Daisuki got the ancient ZZ master for their stream, despite that BD release being years old by the time it went up. Who says it won't be overcompressed shit? I want to be hopeful, and I want to support it (I might indeed buy it, as I've bought Origin to support that), but after what has happened in the past, you can't expect everyone to jump on it immediately.

>>12516670
I think the best stance would be "no." I contribute enough to Gundam piracy, and the second half of the series was intentionally left alone for the most part during the BD release so as to make way for the R1s. I won't (can't) stop anyone else from syncing it, and if nothing else materializes in a year or two, I'd even encourage it, but I won't be personally doing it.
>>
>>12516697
Yeah or a library, goodwill, circulate it into video stores' used sections, etc.
>>
>>12516691
>>12516697
Com on, only a very small fraction of those who bought is going to spend more money on something they already have.
>>
>>12516700
I doubt they would do this though, to be honest. And if they did, then shame on Bandai. I'll still buy the dvd's. The BDs would have to be the improved transfer no matter what, and I want those to reach our shores, so boom.
>>
>>12516709
I know, but in this case, they really should. We're dealing with a waters-test on a show that NEVER came here before now.

Actually if you wanna get pissed qt anyone for causing us to get shafted on BDs, blame Sony for being financial fascists and putting massive royalties and expenses on the the Blu Ray format
This is why they should never win format wars, they always have some way of charging extra for shit. Not saying HD-DVD was the superior format though, BTW.
>>
File: 1141303449210-resize.jpg (8KB, 304x224px) Image search: [Google]
1141303449210-resize.jpg
8KB, 304x224px
>>12516700
>What if Sunrise gives RS the old masters "just because" it's a DVD release?
I worry that this is the case, that TRS was only able to afford the Gendum licenses by licensing the DVDs at a huge discount.
And if they fail to sell, Bandai will just puff its chest and be more snotty about how pulling out of our market because we didn't want to pay parity was the right decision.
>>
Will you all stop bitching about no BD releases for Gundam? It's not your decision to make on that.
>>
>>12516581
Turn A Gundam is actually getting released in the US!? I can't wait!
>>
>>12516739
>they really should
Not at all. Especially if DVDs won't be good.

> We're dealing with a waters-test on a show that NEVER came here before now.
It is a show that is popular only among a very small niche, RC should do the math before hoping the costumer buys TWO versions of the same anime.

And really, I don't think they intend to make BDs for it. They would have already, if they wanted.
>>
>>12516700
Let's consider the following; Right Stuf are a professional veteran DVD company, whereas Daisuki is a streaming site that never lived up to the promise of its polls. That's comparing apples and moldy bread. Plus, the DVDs actually will have the Syd Mead interview, and Unicorn's sales helped RS get into Bandai's good graces.

So, I wouldn't worry too much about it.
>>
>>12516761
>Plus, the DVDs actually will have the Syd Mead interview
So? Wasn't that from the old JP edition?
>>
>>12516773
Well, it was meant to be brought over alongside an R1 release Ent would have put out, until that subsidiary collapsed. Would have been more insulting if they didn't let RS use it period.
>>
>>12516663
Same here. I'm not paying a premium for a third-rate media format, the same way I stopped buying VHS tapes after 2001~ish. Even back then, companies were still trying to push $30 VHS tapes.
>>
>>12516581
>no Blu Ray release
Into the trash it goes.
>>
>>12516773
Completely different. The interview in question was conducted as an exclusive for Bandai's R1 release until it was cancelled. The special feature on the blu-rays barely even features him.
>>
>>12516748
You're right, it's not, it's Bandai/Sunrise's. I'm actually not blaming RS at all, they appear to want to do the right thing, and are trying hard to please us, so I really doubt cost is their greatest deterrent. Speaking from a production standpoint, in the year 2015, BD production is not significantly more expensive than DVD. Most costs involved with BD production are likely licensing related, rather than actual material/labor cost. This is not conjecture, this is fact. Most (Funi is about the only exception) licensors outsource their encoding and authoring to other companies that are, by necessity, outfitted to QC and encode in AT LEAST HD. It is extremely uncommon, if not impossible in 2015, to find an authoring house that doesn't offer HD; these days, HD is the minimum.
>>
>>12516581
Don't care that it's on DVD. Still buying it anyway.
>>
I would already bought them if RS wasn't so anal about PayPal.
>>
When the fuck will Bandai learn that only Japs are retarded enough to buy Blu-Rays at their ridiculous prices? They need to get over themselves and sort this shit out, plenty of people would buy them in the West if they weren't retarded with their pricing.
>>
>>12516897
>When the fuck will Bandai learn that only Japs are retarded enough to buy Blu-Rays at their ridiculous prices?
As soon as Aniplex kills the market with Saekano and Kimiuso sales strategy.
>>
>>12516897
The industry in Japan has to crash first before the rental market can be destroyed and they stop basing their prices on that.
Everything bad about Japan's price system goes back to the rental shops and standard-play VHS tapes with two episodes per tape.

Fortunately, a few publishers are including more sane episode counts per disc for long shows.
>>
>>12516937

Explain a bit more about this?

Do rental shops pay these crazy prices? Are they the primary buyers of anime or something?

Are our gundam woes because japanese otaku are still stuck in a stupid blockbuster model?
>>
>>12516950
Otaku morons happily pay $60 for a BD with 2-4 episodes.
Bandai "deals" with the western market by including dubs on their Japanese releases instead of releasing reasonable sets in the US.
>>
>>12516897
When the fuck will you learn that Japan has to sell at those prices to make money otherwise it's not worth it? The actual fucking product is in the DVD/Blu-Ray while the TV airing is a preview of the final product.
>>
File: tsutaya_dora.png (480KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
tsutaya_dora.png
480KB, 640x360px
>>12516950
I was thinking about making a YT video about this someday, but it boils down to a few combination of factors:
-Low square footage of most Japanese homes and apartments don't allow for large collections. Especially when it came to VHS tapes, as much as I love those chunky bastards.
-Otaku have to watch older anime SOMEHOW, it's not as though there's an oral tradition and Mazinger Z only aired once in 1972.
-Economics.

The rental market was the primary means to watch anime from the 80s to the mid 00s. It's not the beast it used to be now that there's competition from streaming and mail-order spot rental services (like Netflix used to be), but it's still an institution in Japan. The home video industry based its market prices off this - that most consumers would prefer to rent 13 volumes rather than buy - and prices became bloated as a result. Simple economics.

Then there's also overseas markets, which were never even considered seriously until the boom of 10-15 years ago. A lot of publishers became scared shitless of our market. We had lower home video prices across the board, so they wouldn't sell licenses until a show was at least 12-18 months old, and even then would sometimes pull shenanigans by passing off lower-quality masters. This was all to protect their market's elasticity from reverse-importation.

It's a pretty sad state of events and short-sighted business practices, but things are slowly changing.
>>
>>12516968
And that's a terrible business model that nobody outside Japan uses.
>>
File: Jap, You're Next.jpg (123KB, 640x913px)
Jap, You're Next.jpg
123KB, 640x913px
>>12516968
>Believing Japanese propaganda
They charge those prices because the market for anime BDs in Japan is fairly inelastic, meaning that price doesn't have a large impact on number of units sold.
>>
>>12516968
You don't understand economics. If prices went down far enough to get casuals to start buyfagging, the sales would reach the same overall equilibrium. Old-fashioned Japanese businessmen are too afraid to test this.

The way things are in Japan boils down to the otaku market obsessively buying as much merchandise as possible, and the casual market renting shit en masse from Tsutaya or Rakuten. This adds up to low quanitity sold and higher price per unit.
>>
>>12517106
Disc media being price-elastic everywhere else in the world shows there are factors standing in the way in the Japanese market.
If these factors are remedied, there would be enough elasticity to crush the rental market the way it's been crushed everywhere else in the first world.
>>
>>12517107
No casual will ever buy because of the rental market, no matter how low prices go.
>>
>>12516700

I really hope somebody does. I buy Gundam releases to support bringing them to the US, as I still hope for the the day we get novels and the like. But your video quality on Turn-A is the best out there. I'd like the subs to be the same.
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.