[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What must a mecha series do exactly to be seen as a serious story

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 6

File: 034702359753.png (395KB, 1103x507px) Image search: [Google]
034702359753.png
395KB, 1103x507px
What must a mecha series do exactly to be seen as a serious story rather than a guilty pleasure/train wreck/not take itself seriously? I've seen most anons here right off virtually every /m/ series of the current century as non-serious.
>>
File: plsnoshiggy.gif (151KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
plsnoshiggy.gif
151KB, 250x250px
>>12483111
Not have a story.
>>
It has to be not shit.

That's all.
>>
>>12483172
alright, how does a series not be shit?

Hard Mode: No comparisons to LoGH
>>
File: gr_02.jpg (63KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
gr_02.jpg
63KB, 640x480px
Step 1: Don't be Cross Ange
Step 2: Don't be Gundam Seed
Step 3: Actually don't be any Gundam except Turn A or 0080
Step 4: Don't be any Macross except Plus

For an example of this: Giant Robo
>>
File: Picture1-6.png (99KB, 323x249px) Image search: [Google]
Picture1-6.png
99KB, 323x249px
Literally just have fun and genuinely want to make the show you're making. If you're making a show because you have to, odds are it's not going to turn out well.

Also, take anything /m/ says with a grain of salt. When a fanbase is comprised of people who are simply fans and not people who actually study the art of filmmaking/writing, then a lot of bias comes forth.
>>
>>12483111

You are asking people on the internet to stop having emotionally overblown opinions about trivial things.

That's like asking the water to stop being wet.
>>
>>12483188

>be Giant Robo

If only all mecha could be so grossly incandescent.
>>
>>12483202
>Fanbase is comprised of fans.

What a shock.

And actually, at least on /m/, you see a lot of interest in production and cinematography/writing.
>>
>>12483111
easy, be Tetsujin 28 2004.
>>
>>12483188
Plus is the worst macross apart from zero.
>>
>>12483179
Not being like A/Z, VVV or CA
>>
>>12484410
You liked macross 2 better than plus... Wtf man.
>>
>>12484410
>Zero
>worst
>not best
>>
Guilty pleasures are inherently subjective. It's about the person watching it, not the show.
>>
>>12484410
>>12484410
>>12484410
>>
>>12484381
>What a shock.

You're missing the whole that I'm making. And interest is not the same thing as actually being properly knowledgable in the field about it.
>>
>>12484410
lmao good one.
>>
>>12484410
>Zero
>Plus

>Shit
The only shit thing here is your taste.
>>
>>12483111
If Tomino is not involved. If mech designs are not shit like in the most of /m/ series. Good story on top of it.
>>
>>12485042
I re-watched Plus last year and while the plot, animation, and action all all excellent, you have to admit all the main characters are batshit crazy.
>>
>>12485066
Aren't most main characters?
>>
>>12483202
>to understand books you must be a writer
No.
>>
>>12483111
I blame /a/ for pushing the meme that every show is either shit or a guilty pleasure/train wreck
>>
>>12485091

Be a writer? No.

Study the writing process with an actual education in it, yes.
>>
>>12483111
>Hating on MST3K
>>
>>12485384
I don't need to know the temperature it was cooked at to know when I'm eating shit.
>>
>>12485473

But do you understand WHY something is bad? That is the difference.

There's a reason there's no Rogert Ebert of reviewing anime, because theiy're all just fans, they aren't people that have studied the medium extensively.
>>
File: penguindance.webm (2MB, 640x360px)
penguindance.webm
2MB, 640x360px
It all depends on the villains. The villains have to look like a serious, deadly threat.

Look at Daimidaler, it has pulled off this aspect really well.
>>
>>12483111
To take itself seriously
To not pander so overtly and shamelessly that it breaks all suspension of disbelief and forces us to recognize when it's bullshit
To create a sense of bullet proof internal consistency
To treat it's audience with some modicum of respect.
Not try impress the audience with bullshit we don't care about.
Give the audience of the series what they want but don't be really cheap and just shill the easy call backs and cheap nods to the audience that only the really really entrenched will understand.
Nothing wrong with having that in there every once in a while, but if the entire show is just a long string of those callbacks and inside jokes and it's not trying to entertain an unknowing outsider by presenting it to them in a way that they would like then it's just masturbation.
>>
>>12483111
I'd rather have a simple story like Mazinger's done over and over again as long as the mechs and the fights are good.
Rather than a show that tries too hard and fucking it up
>>
>>12485537
>To take itself seriously

What if it's a comedy?
>>
>>12485555
Then be very serious about being comedic
>>
>>12485564

That's harder to pull off than you think.
>>
Japan needs to make a mech series so Japanese that it will literally come down to just "you don't get it" when we say we don't like it.

Like, the Joshiraku of mech anime, aka the show known as "you must be this japanese to get this joke"
>>
>>12485581
Wasn't that like...Seed Destiny?
>>
>>12485586

It can't be, I understood it.

It wasn't so culturally entrenched that I could only possibly understand it by being from that culture.
>>
>>12485384
>Study the writing process with an actual education in it, yes.
Nobody needs to study it to see what's bad and what's good. On top of that, there's nothing to study in wrighting process.
>>
>>12485596
>there's nothing to study in wrighting process.

Right, because just anyone can write proper prose that flows correctly.
>>
>>12485606
Writing proper prose that flows correctly?
Sure.
Writing good stories and being able to recognize good stories?
No, not at all.
When you get people who spend their lives in some artistic medium or anything like that together you get a bunch of navel gazers who're writing impenetrable garbage for other navel gazers.
At a certain point, you're going to have to ask "who am I doing this for" and if you answer is "professional critics" or "hardcore afficianado's of this" then you should not have any input on anything that is for a majority of people or popular stuff.
Cause...that's not how you do it.
There is nothing wrong with pleasing your little social circle/peers and the hardcore fans.
But...if that's all you care about then you're fairly useless when it comes to making something for anyone outside of those two groups.
>>
>>12485621

FIrst off, put some goddamn spacing in there.

Secondly, I don't like the implication that the masses cannot enjoy something that is intelligent and artistic.
>>
>>12485630
I don't like the implications that only the "true artists" can create something intelligent.

It's all dense self fellating fucktardation that only other sotted and set in their little circlejerk of asshole fucktards would appreciate.

If you want people to understand what you're saying then you're going to have to speak in common.
If you want to show how intelligent and artistic you are then stick to making cheap garbage for others of your ilk.
>>
>>12485642

So only people in a circlejerk can enjoy Life Is Beautiful (a film that wasn't even in english and was beloved by Americans when it was released subtitled in theatres)? Or War and Peace (a book that uses very simple, common language, but nowadays barely anyone will read it because it's "too long")?

You're twisting what I'm saying into something about elitist literature. I just want stories that will actually stand the test of time and be something of real merit. And quite honestly, someone who studies the medium DOES have a better understanding of it than just some person on a message board.
>>
>>12485621
>>12485642
>garbage
>"they won't let me in their club so I'll call it shit!"
You sound like someone who tried to read a REAL book and got angry because they didn't "get it". Or went to /lit/.
>>
>>12485662
>So only people in a circlejerk can enjoy Life Is Beautiful (a film that wasn't even in english and was beloved by Americans when it was released subtitled in theatres)? Or War and Peace (a book that uses very simple, common language, but nowadays barely anyone will read it because it's "too long")?

The only people who liked life is beautiful were oscar voters and no one who didn't have to read war and peace.

And I'm not twisting anything. You are the one who got "PLEBIANS CAN NOT UNDERSTAND INTELLIGENT OR ARTISTIC TRUE AHT" out of my fucking post when my post was about creating media for small hardcore fans you foolish elitist twat.
>>
>>12485606
You can't learn to write good stories. Next breaking news at 11:00.
>>
>>12485678
>The only people who liked life is beautiful were oscar voters

Bullshit, I loved that movie. The ending made me legitimately sad. And it wouldn't have been the second highest grossing foreign film in the US ever if only that group liked it. If anything a lot of critics DIDN'T like it because it sidestepped around the issue of the Holocaust going on in the film with the use of humor.

> You are the one who got "PLEBIANS CAN NOT UNDERSTAND INTELLIGENT OR ARTISTIC TRUE AHT" out of my fucking post when my post was about creating media for small hardcore fans

Because it implied that something made for hardcore fans can't be enjoyed by everyone else.

Street Fighter is not made for you, it's made for the FGC. It's always been made for the FGC, ever since Super Turbo. That doesn't stop everyone else from enjoying it as a fighting game, even if they don't understand how complex the game is.
>>
>>12483111
>Why can't I like things without having to use them to find validation with other people

Because you're on 4chan.
>>
>>12485699
>Bullshit, I loved that movie. The ending made me legitimately sad. And it wouldn't have been the second highest grossing foreign film in the US ever if only that group liked it. If anything a lot of critics DIDN'T like it because it sidestepped around the issue of the Holocaust going on in the film with the use of humor.
That's nice. Fuck you who cares what you think. In the real world, that shit got no play and no views. Outside of people who are swayed by bullshit like the oscars.

>Because it implied that something made for hardcore fans can't be enjoyed by everyone else.
That's because it's oft not. What are you retarded? Something made for a specific audience doesn't tend to pull in people from a totally different audience.
I even state that if you make it for hardcore fans then you should really try to show it in a way that even non hardcore people can enjoy and will like.

You started this entire fucking ridiculous thing about people not being able to enjoy "artistic" and "intelligent" works.
Which is, to be honest, fucking insulting.
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.