[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Aliens in Gundam

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 6

So it's been a little while since Awakening of the Trailblazer came out. What do you all think of aliens existing in Gundam?

Would you like to see the ELS again? A new species? Or is the very idea a crime against the franchise?
>>
G-Recko just said they could transport Earth to another galaxy, so I don't think its out of the question.
>>
>>12188758

Had a really creepy atmosphere in the beginning but then it was just Earth versus a bunch of silver space dildoes that apparently have no concept of the amount of harm they're doing to this other sentient race they've contacted but they understand violence well enough to fight back.

An interesting concept to be sure but it feels like it belongs in another show.
>>
>>12188784

G-Recko says a lot of things that are clearly the characters exaggerating in-character. The problem is that since the characters talking to each other nonchalantly is how we learn 90% of the plot and setting of that show, it is really easy for someone's hyperbole or dumb joke to be mistaken as something that we are supposed to believe as setting material.
>>
>>12188758

Crime against the franchise. Becase the moment it stops becoming a humans vs. humans conflict, it becomes Macross.
>>
File: 1394028264-this.jpg (126KB, 340x480px) Image search: [Google]
1394028264-this.jpg
126KB, 340x480px
>>12188799
>An interesting concept to be sure but it feels like it belongs in another show.
>>
>>12188863

Nah, Macross is a pretty specific approach to humans vs aliens. Adding aliens to Gundam doesnt give Gundam any of the culture focus, high speed combat or relationship drama that makes Macross what it is.

I will agree that Gundam depends heavily on being human vs human, though, because the moment you take away "the enemy pilots I am killing are EXACTLY LIKE ME" the whole franchise loses any pretense of not being a toy commercial.
>>
>>12188863
I know, right? That part when Ptolemaios rammed into the ELS mothership while Marina sang a ballade was way cheesy.
>>
I don't see why it's so weird. Gundam already has humans fighting mutants and space mind magic that can do anything they want it to.
>>
I love the movie. It took a big risk by pushing the franchise into new territory and it mostly paid off. I don't think 00 would stand out as much if it were just the TV series or even just the first season. Wouldn't be interested in seeing aliens ever again, though. Trailblazer did things "right" as a first contact movie about Newtypes meeting extraterrestrials and any other attempts would probably devolve into fighting human aliens which would be missing the point entirely.
>>
>>12188897

Its because Gundam really, really depends on humanizing the other side of the conflict and lamenting how war sucks and no one should glorify it and we should all stop fighting (tune in next season for MORE FUCKING AWESOME ROBOT WAR! YEAH!).

Take that away, and Gundam is just space autists playing mechwarrior in a vacuum.
>>
>>12188799
Like maybe fafner! Except the space dildoes are golden in that show.
>>
>>12188889

I find it pretty funny that so many people complain about Gundam and them rehashing UNDERSTANDING endings, when Macross has been doing that stuff since the first series.

Gundam claims to want to promote peace, but the Spacenoids and Earth come up with a reason to genocide each other every few years, it is like the goddamn Middle East. Nothing is ever really resolved, you just put a lid on things until Neo Zeon comes back again and you have to build another Gundam to put a stop to it. Add colony drops for flavor.

Meanwhile, Macross made war obsolete in one go through culture victory, and by and large it sticks. There are the occasional troublemakers, but each new series has to come up with a new enemy that needs to be PEACEFULLY RESOLVED into defeat instead of undoing all of their previous work again.
>>
its about time that we put the gundam franchise in the freezer for its own good.
not that it will happen, sunrise will milk it till all the fans are dead.
>>
>>12188971

I sadly agree. I really used to like Gundam, but the more of it we get the less I enjoy what I am getting.

For gods sake, in G-Recko they just went and named the obligatory masked character "Mask". Like, could they make it any more obvious that they ran out of fucks to give?
>>
>>12188996
yeah, i have seen about 2/3 of all gundam shows, and the thing is, outside of some really good parts more then half of these shows felt like a waste of time.
The others half where glorious.
>>
>>12188996

>For gods sake, in G-Recko they just went and named the obligatory masked character "Mask". Like, could they make it any more obvious that they ran out of fucks to give?

Isn't that supposed to be the joke tjhough? same way Aida gives her name to Dellensen and he hits her saying "you just slapped two random name together!!"
>>
File: latest.jpg (28KB, 246x400px) Image search: [Google]
latest.jpg
28KB, 246x400px
>>12188758
>A new species?
Whichever one built this.
>>
>>12189061
You do realize that the Turn X was built by Newtypes that had left the Earth sphere millennia ago, right?
>>
>>12188959
>Gundam claims to want to promote peace

That's more a recent spin. The earlier shows seem to be less about promoting peace, and more about survival.

Yes, they want the war to be over, but the show doesn't glorify the peace. Instead it focuses on the people who have to fight to get it and what they suffer through.

Ultimately, while there is a big war, it more focuses on the small core of characters in the middle of it.

The glorification of peace more started kicking in around...at earliest Wing, though even that's up for some debate.
>>
File: Worf2375.jpg (17KB, 325x396px) Image search: [Google]
Worf2375.jpg
17KB, 325x396px
>>12188921
This. I liked how the movie portrayed aliens as something that can plausibly exist based our current understanding of extraterrestrial life (i.e. not human).

The moment it becomes colored men in rubber suits that speak English/Japanese, the concept ceases to work in the Gundam context. At least in my opinion.
>>
>>12189122
*based on
>>
>>12189091
Wasn't it hinted somewhere that those newtypes had some extra-terrestrial help building the Turn X?
>>
>>12189173
Where?
>>
I didn't like it.
I'm fine with aliens existing. I'm not going to throw a bitch fit over space whales. leave the antagonist aliens in different franchises.
>>
>>12189244
did they ever explain the space whales in seed?
>>
>>12188758
I'd like to see more of the post-Trailbazer world of 00 explored, but I don't want to see aliens in any future AUs or added to any existing works. The ELS were special precisely because they broke Gundam convention. It just wouldn't be the same doing it a second time.
>>
File: images.jpg (12KB, 229x220px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
12KB, 229x220px
>>12189268
>seed
>explaining shit
I like optimism anon.
If it got explained it was in one of the mangas, because it sure as hell wasn't in the show. Of course it also wasn't relevant to the show.
>>
>>12188959
>Gundam claims to want to promote peace, but the Spacenoids and Earth come up with a reason to genocide each other every few years, it is like the goddamn Middle East.

Only in UC. Up until recently the FC, AC, CE, AW, and CC settings pretty much wrapped up their conflicts at the end of their series.
>>
File: Tali_ME_Core[1].jpg (158KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Tali_ME_Core[1].jpg
158KB, 1280x720px
I want a Gundam series where a Zeon group from Venus appears alien. Generations of living on Venus forced them to genetically engineer them selves and use cybernetics. As a consequence they have to wear pilot suits when outside Venus like atmosphere. They also don't exactly look human anymore.
>>
>>12189383
...this is funny. I think it might be on purpose, too.
>>
Aliens are just so boring. I'd rather they explore the interstellar civilization from CC, the guys that built Turn X in the first place.

Humanity being the first species to survive development into a space faring civilization is explored so rarely.
>>
>>12188758
Considering how shit awful the movie is, I'm going to have to say no. Although, aliens is only one of many reasons why that movie was garbage, so maybe if it was put into something good it might be passable. I won't get my hopes up though. The Vegan's were rumored to be aliens at first too, and they were also shit.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.