[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to save mecha popularity?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 8

File: 1404108442398.jpg (177KB, 600x720px) Image search: [Google]
1404108442398.jpg
177KB, 600x720px
How to save mecha popularity?
>>
Stop making Gundam
>>
File: 47026520_p0.jpg (579KB, 938x1500px) Image search: [Google]
47026520_p0.jpg
579KB, 938x1500px
with oranges and bats of course.
>>
Likable characters, cool robots, and well choreographed fightan' scenes.
>>
It'll probably fix itself, eventually.
>>
>>11768173
This.
>>
>>11768132
realize it is bad and it was never good, let it die.
>>
>>11768132
Appeal to fujoshi.
>>
Make anime real.
>>
Let it stay niche. No need for little Mamoru to shit it up.
>>
Let kids go through trends. It switches up now and then. Don't force it. Who cares.
>>
leave it alone we don't need normalfags infecting mecha genre more than they do
>>
-badass looking robots
-badass fighting scenes
-characters that would make you grin like an idiot
>>
>>11770046
g gundam is already a thing anon.
>>
>>11770181
too bad it's old
>>
So what's 'hip' these days then? What do kids argue over in sandboxes instead of what robot could beat godzilla?
>>
>>11770325
Card games, I think.
>>
>>11770333
But I'm sure they have those with robots too. Heck, even SRW has one IIRC.
>>
You don't, you fix anime production as a whole and some good mecha shows will be born naturally from that result since some people still like it, even if it's a smaller number. Anime needs to be saved though, because it's in a terrible place at the moment and has been for quite a while. I don't mean in a "...will save anime" way either, since one show isn't going to do it regardless of how good it is. I mean, saving the process of anime creation from the ground up. Paying the staff better so that more people with wider interests will take it up as a career, rather than just the basement dwelling otaku who are doing it these days because the pay is so shit you have to love it more than is healthy to deal with the awful wages. Investing money in to the industry so that people are willing to take chances on risky ideas. That kind of thing.

It's probably not going to be fixed until Japan starts to do something about it's rather weird economic policies full stop though, because it's all just a symptom of that at the end of the day I would imagine.
>>
>>11770325
magical girls?
>>
>>11770366
You think original series Nanoha could beat godzilla?
>>
>>11770325
youkai watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N79e5o0Lynk
>>
>>11770371
Is Gojira any popular with kids in Japan still?
>>
Moeblobs are dying out. Fucking finally.

It looks like whats hot right now is slice-of-life with dudes as the focus plus a certain theme or "anime adaptation of super edgey grimdark manga" ala Tokyo Ghoul or Parasyte.
>>
>>11770378
Yeah, that's quite popular.
>>
>>11770384
>Tokyo Ghoul
>Parasyte
any edge

>not mentioning akame ga kill!

Anon, have you been living in the woods?
>>
>>11770371

She'd end up riding Gojira in to battle against Destroyah or something after befriending the shit out of him and you know it. And then Gojira would end up befriending Destroyah after Nanoha befriends whoever was allied with Destroyah and they'd all have a tea-party at the end with not-so-subtle homoerotic undertones, Destroyah and Gojirah included.
>>
>>11770388
Never watched, and no intention to watch.
>>
>>11770384
>Parasyte
>edgy
Was The Thing edgy? Is anything with shapeshifting aliens and death edgy now?
>>
>>11770397
did you read tokyo ghoul or parasyte at all ? because these two are far from 'edgy' and 'grimdark'. how do you define 'edgy' and 'grimdark' anyway?
>>
>>11770381
I believe Godzilla is essentially to a healthy childhood.
>>
>>11770384
Parasite isn't edgy apart from the WUB WUB
>>
>>11770397
Parasyte is an adaptation of a 90's manga. Might as well say JoJo is edgy while your at it.
>>
>>11770440
He would. Which is doubly stupid, because if something is popular and accepted, it's not edgy. That style works just as well now as it did then, so it's not currently edgy, nor was it at creation.

Unless we're going to redefine "edgy" means "anything with a lot of blood".
>>
>>11770471
People wildly misapply edgy. Edgy means overuse or gratuitous use of conventionally dark and/or mature elements in a fashion that misuses it to the point of being ridiculous and wildly immature.

Mostly people just use it for "thing with any dark elements at all that i don't like".
>>
>>11770384
Newfag trying to fit in. Only a newfag or tumblr will said Tokyo Ghoul or Parasyte is grimdark. Go back to your hole.
>>
>>11770503
I'd make it even shorter. Edgy content is edgy because it's in the work for the shock value alone.
>>
>>11770384
>Yu Yamamoto stated that he wished to bring back "original anime", as in having no manga (or video game) to base it off of, as he believes this practice of adapting from a manga is detrimental to new screenwriters.

WHO HYPE FOR JINRAIGER TO SAVE ANIME?
>>
>>11770503
>>11770586

Neither of those are the original definition of the term edgy and has just come about in the last two decades because what was edgy happened to have blood at the time.
>>
>>11770627
What? Anime originals still happen all the time, it doesn't make them good.
>>
>>11770627
I'll be hype when I see some art that wasn't drawn on a literal cocktail napkin.
>>
>>11770359
Original anime is pretty much over now.
If it's not otaku/fujo bait or a new installment of some long running series or backed by a major player wanting something made for them, then it ain't happening.

The other anime that is based off of popular works from other forms of media is going to continue being made period. It's a safe bet and always pays good dividends.

The only way decent original anime is going to survive another generation is if promising young talent takes to the net and puts out free advertisement backed webisodes/mobile only anime and create a ground swell of support with good series.
>>
>>11770378
shit it's look cute
>>
>>11770378
Yeah, and even LEVEL5 can't save Gundam.
>>
If you mean popular with kids, they should make some kind of franchise that works with smartphones. Smartphone apps and collectible cards are the two most popular forms of entertainment among Japanese children.
>>
>>11770366
Magical girls aren't that popular among little girls anymore, haven't been in ages. There's Pretty Cure franchise but that's pretty much about it, also Aikatsu is doing better these days. Idols are the #1 thing among little girls. Also after Frozen's success they have got more interested in princesses.

Youkai Watch is the most popular franchise now and it attracts both boys and girls.
>>
>>11770359

What this guy said.

/thread
>>
>>11768132
1.Needs kids as the protags

2.Needs older teens and adults who're "cool" as the helpers that look cool and will help/protect/be obstacles and who they'll eventually surpass

3.Needs to not be super serial like...make it an alternate dimension/virtual kind of thing

4.Needs to be a small microcosm of a society with children

5.I'm thinking...kids find magic/techno/virtual/smartphone app that lets them change into robots and are sort of like power masters/headmasters ala transformers for collectible transforming robotic animal partner.

6.They can get new transforming animal partners, and each one can change into different things. Some are giant fighting robots others are motorcycles others are jets and there are some combiners in the batch.

7.Play up the unique partner for unique person aspect.

8.Dump the warhawk stuff from other mechs. The children don't get it, and will have no frame of reference.

I don't know, that's just something I came up with.
>>
>>11770644
Who cares about the original definition of a word 'fag' here?
>>
>>11770920
Aren't you basically describing the Brave Series?
>>
>>11770979
The what?
>>
>>11770859
But Pretty Cure is huge in Japan...
>>
The important thing, I think, is to make mecha into less of a circlejerk.
It feels like a crapton of all the mecha stuff we get are just parodies and references to older mecha.
>>
>>11771001
Yeah, there's honoring tradition and what came before then there's just slavishly following what was done and creating a nigh impenetrable field of stuff that no one new understands and anyone even slightly experienced with the genre will be completely underwhelmed by.
>>
>>11770859
Idolshit is cyclical though. There are periods of mainstream popularity and periods of wota domination. Idolshit has been going strong since early 2010s thanks to the AKB bitches going mainstream but son it'll be back to the wota ghetto.

>>11770984
The ratings and toy sales have been declining for years. The current model is fucked up anyway, in the past there was diferent magical girls but now Toei bet for one magical girl franchise only for having a monopoly on toy sales (Sasuga Bandai). That put too many restrictions. Too bad modern shoujo mangakas are too busy writing about their rape fantasies so they don't write magical girls anymore. Really, the genre lost too much by being planned by a committee full of old men
>>
>>11770984
Yeah but Aikatsu is now bigger.
>>
Make another silly show with cute little boy and robots like J-Decker
>>
>>11770859
>Idols are the #1 thing among little girls.
This disgusts me. Parents allow their little girls to look up to this shit? Idols are glorified whores taking the easy way into the music industry, often not even remaining in it after "graduation" and becoming some retarded TV talent with dumb commentary.
>>
>>11771065
Is it that surprising? They have cute clothes and dances.
>>
>>11771065
>Idols are glorified whores taking the easy way into the music industry
This. There is nothing glamorous about being an idol.
>>
>>11771075
Yeah, that and they're popular, well off, and a viable real life future career/escape for some of them.
And yeah, them fucking a lot o' dudes is why some of the girls like them.

Basically modern day princesses or the female equivalent of a sports star actually. Being famous/rich/beloved for being pretty and socially talented?
>>
>>11771099
>well off
Most of them aren't, believe it or not.

>viable real life future career
Until you turn approximately 24.
>>
>>11771106
That's why it's not weird a little girl would have a dream like that, it's no different from something like "I want to become a princess/F1 driver". Most kids have naive future dreams.
>>
>>11771106
Just like most wannabe sports stars/athletes.
>>
File: Idol-creepiness.jpg (155KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Idol-creepiness.jpg
155KB, 1280x720px
>>11771065
>>11771084
I wonder what the little girls think about the no-love policy.
>>
>>11771240
Little do they know it's a fuck your manager policy, and occasionally boy idols as long as you don't get caught.
>>
>>11771240
Forbidden love?
LOL
They love that shit.
>>
>>11771065
Parents and people in Japan in general are much dumber than you think
>>
>>11770325
Minecraft.
>>
>>11771325
That craze is still going on? I left the scene a while back, about the time they released in on XBLA.
>>
>>11771325
>>11771328
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRdcptG365I

minecraft fanbase in a nutshell
>>
>>11771328
Minecraft is vidya Lego. It's two of the biggest kids cracks in one, and much cheaper than buying new games/Lego sets regularly.
>>
>>11771311
The thing with forbidden love is the audience roots for the couple for defeating the obstacles with the power of their love while idolfags are supposed to root for their idol to remain as a virgin. It works pretty well for virgin nerds unable to deal with a girl with more sexual experience than them but little girls might have some problems with that
>>
If kids don't like mecha, what do they like?
>>
>>11771393
Monsters
>>
>>11771393
it was just discussed..

card games, phone apps, and yokai watch
>>
>>11771384
It's about little girls, not the sad idol worshipping otaku.
And little girls like that kind of stuff, however, from your statement. There is real potential in creating a magical girl anime that's loosely based on idol worship and showing the obsessed otaku as the antagonist/mastermind behind it.
>>
Clearly what we need is dancing and singing robots
>>
>>11771400
Isn't that what happiness charge sort of did with the NO LOVE ALLOWED but the childhood friend tagging along? and the older blue haired dude hanging around
>>
>>11771400
>There is real potential in creating a magical girl anime that's loosely based on idol worship and showing the obsessed otaku as the antagonist/mastermind behind it.
That twintail anime has some shades of that. The heroins become famous overnight, and since the whole premise circles around fetishes, the bad guys are huge pervert otakus.
It's probably nothing like what you were thinking though, but I saw some similarities.
>>
>>11771410
The "no love allowed" thing is because blue dude feels guilty since as a god he wasn't able to answer to a Precure's feelings, and that made her go evil. The girls actually oppose that rule.
>>
>>11768132
parents need to start slapping some little shits again
>>
The problem is they don't make kids cartoons anymore. It's all about the toys now, the show is just a side-product. While it's true that mecha shows have always been about selling toys, back then some ethic and self-respect still exist. The medium allowed writers and directors to take advantage of nobody giving a shit about these cartoons for making what they really wanted between the toys promotion.
>>
File: suicide club.jpg (64KB, 500x353px) Image search: [Google]
suicide club.jpg
64KB, 500x353px
>>11771424
Because it worked so well in the past...
>>
>>11771425
Yeah, no. The only difference is that before they promoted one big toy, now they promote collectibles. Don't kid yourself out of nostalgia.
>>
>>11771435
One big toy allow more freedom than multiple episodes introducing new toys
>>
>>11771425
I don't know about that. Look at J-Decker for example, it's pretty much just a monster of the week show and then you get the gattai sequence with stock animation. The "plot" is just "boy meets robot, stuff happens".
>>
>>11771442
But it doesn't make as much money.
>>
File: 1389341735840.gif (2MB, 350x197px) Image search: [Google]
1389341735840.gif
2MB, 350x197px
>>11771408
special delivery
>>
Robot punch small children into submission.
>>
>>11770371
They'd eventually become friends.
>>
>>11768132

Make mecha without fucking big robots.
>>
>>11770983
The Brave Series, a mecha franchise by Sunrise from the 90s. It's basically what you described and was sucessful for a long time.
>>
>>11770627
Is it going to have the original people - or other sufficiently good people - back to do the music? Because jesus fuck, a J9 show without some absolutely amazing OP and a bunch of other good music would be treason.
>>
File: this lynx.png (718KB, 1504x1574px) Image search: [Google]
this lynx.png
718KB, 1504x1574px
>>11774650
>without fucking big robots.
>>
>>11768132
What the hell is the "new fashion" for japanese boys these days anyway?

Is it Nike, kid? You seem to think that's in fashion. Do we need to make a mecha show all about shoes? Does the premise have to be a war that starts simply because someone's robot stepped on someone else's Mecha Air Jordans?
>>
>>11774698
Already had a mech show about that, but it was basket ball based.
Was actually really good looking and fun despite how silly as fuck it is.
Baskell or something like that.
>>
>>11774702
Basquash?
>>
>>11774714
Bingo
>>
>>11774698
I know what they don't like. Kids aren't interested on space exploration anymore, that shit was hot back in the 60s and Star Wars made space cool again.
>>
>>11768173
>>11768204
This right here is why mechs will fall into obscurity
Obliviousness and ignorance
>>
>>11777784
>what are trends
Kids don't want old fucks shoving robots down their throats trying to pass it as "cool". That's totally uncool.
>>
>>11771065
I kind of want to watch some idol anime like Aikatsu and Love Live but I hate real life idolshit for pretty much those reasons so it stops me from doing so. The concept feels less obnoxiously fake if it's anime but real life idolshit still bugs me too much.
Thread posts: 103
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.