[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Star Wars VII

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 198
Thread images: 24

File: 1414677418026.jpg (11KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
1414677418026.jpg
11KB, 320x320px
>>
I honestly don't care any more. Especially after what Abrams did in Into Darkness. I'm not a big enough fan of Star Wars to like anything in that universe unconditionally regardless of quality.
>>
Reminds me of Mister Sir Henry Motherfucker's beam katana.
>>
File: bravo lucas.webm (3MB, 854x480px)
bravo lucas.webm
3MB, 854x480px
Toku fans will love this one.
>>
>Sith Mandolore
>Boba Fett's son

Well at least they're not raping Thrawn's character.
>>
>>11604488
>that look of disbelief on the guy to the left
>>
>>11604473
so is that Sith Luke?
>>
Darth Revan?
>>
>>11604473
>beam cross guard
>the part connecting the blade to the hilt is not a light saber and would get sliced through

thats the stupidest light saber i've ever seen and there are some real shitters out there.
>>
I'll go medieval on your ass.
>>
>>11604488
>you get stuck with wires

How did this guy even direct other movies is a mystery to me.
I understand not wanting to get Christopher Lee to fly with wires because age and everything, but at least use a stuntman.
>>
File: 1281769778104.gif (84KB, 388x402px) Image search: [Google]
1281769778104.gif
84KB, 388x402px
i swear my eye's are playing tricks on me in conjunction with the low quality pic, but I think i'm seeing little light sabers coming out and forming what appears to be the hilt of a light saber, and that can't be right.
you'd hurt yourself really baddly wing that thing around more so than a normal light saber.
>>
>>11604576
you are correct
>>
>>11604576
But it looks cool, that's all that matters.
>>
>>11604588

it looks gay
>>
>>11604473
Great, Sir Henry Motherfucker became a Sith Lord.
>>
>>11604599
Gay is cool these days. Everyone's doing it.
>>
Lightsabers not having hilt guards from the start was completely retarded, this is an improvement
>>
>>11604478
To be fair that was more Lindelof, Orci and Kutzman's fault. Abrams is capable of putting out some good stuff with different writers.
>>
>>11604644

Its easy to blame the writers but Abrams was the director. He still chose that script, he chose to keep the things in there intact and he directed the actors into acting like screaming man babbies.
>>
>>11604618
Just the gays tho.
>>
>>11604642
I'm not sure having a big laser plate next to your hand is a great idea, but I do see your point.

Now blasters, blasters are where it's at.
>>
>>11604473
Does his lightsaber have little lightsabers coming out of the guard? That's insanely stupid, one slip and he loses a finger or more.
>>
>>11604642

Except the part that is actually protecting the hilt isn't a laser. It does nothing of what it a crossguard is supposed to do. And not having a crossguard on the original lightsabers made a lot of sense considering the alternative would be the retarded shit you see in OP.
>>
>>11604473
I actually like the cross-guard, but its practicality is retarded, there's no denying that. You're not going to guard or attack anyone with that.

If you look closely it almost looks like the hilt is long, so it's like a fucking zweihander lightsaber.
>>
>>11604661
>implying that jedi slip
>implying the force doesn't guide their hands to prevent that from happening

if you can swing a light saber and not cut yourself then those little things shouldn't make much of a difference. its stupid because the laser doesn't actually protect the hilt of the blade so functionally it provides nothing.
>>
>Revan with dumb laser hilt guards that would slice his fingers off as soon as his hand slid up the blade

You know what? I don't care anymore. Star Wars has been milked Sahara dry and they're completely out of shit to fuck up.
>>
>>11604647
Well if it's any comfort Disney tends to keep its directors on rather short leash judging by the going-ons behind the Marvel movies.
>>
>>11604478
>I honestly don't care any more
>they cancelled Clone Wars for Rebels
They're not giving good first impressions.
>>
>>11604763
>Implying Rebels hasn't been solid
>>
>>11604484
This fight took forever.
>>
>>11604763
Rebels is much better than the promos would lead you believe.
>>
>>11604771
Fuck that was great episode!
>>
>>11604779
yeah
there's some hurdles to clear with Space Aladdin and the Empire's weapons being even less effective than usual, but I've enjoyed enough of it to stick with it for now
>>
>>11604473
Does anyone even care about Episode VII or Star Wars as a whole anymore? Because after what fucking Disney did to EU as we knew it you may as well bury it deep down in a shitter
>>
>>11604779
No one seems to do promos well anymore so that's no surprise.
>>
>>11604822
This. The EU was the most important part of Star Wars and many of its stories were even better than the OT's stories and had much more depth Its a travesty how they got rid of such a wonderfully developed, complex and open universe
>>
>MUH BDSM ALIENS
>>
I'll watch it. Disney has me by the short hairs.
>>
>>11604822
Look, we all know that in the event of the movies actually continuing, the EU was going to get thrown out.
The problem is no one actually thought they would make another movie.
>>
I'm still interested in 7.

Even if they just hold a sheet of paper with "STAR WAR 7" in front of the camera and then rerun Into Darkness it'll still be a better Star Wars movie than ep1.

And I like they're trying so hard to kiss up to the old style nerds with the practical effects hype. I'm sure it's a calculated business move, but it's better than "MORE CG!" as the battle cry.
>>
>>11604838
You forgot to add Luddite.
>>
>bad guy uses a red sword

wow so original
>>
>>11604935
Really?
That's like complaining about Zeon using monoeyes.
>>
>>11604854
It's a well-known fact that Lucas had more Star Wars movies in mind. Everyone, from movies staff to the actors, has been mentioning it in their interviews. It was only a matter of time.

And hile I can agree that the EU (especially post ABY4) had its obviously full retard moments, but for every retarded entry there were dozens of thoughful and interesting stories. Just thinking of things like Thrawn Trilogy, KotORI-II (including comic books and SWTOR), Tales of the Jedi and Jedi Knight series getting wiped from existence in an instant over some movie that, most probably, won't even turn out to be good, makes me somewhat frustrated.

tl;dr RIP Star Wars
>>
Reminder they nuked the EU for this.
>>
>>11604978
Technically anything thats set in the distant past has a solid chance of remaining untouched by virtue of it being so distant to the likely times they'll focus on, they would have to actively screw with things to effect anything around, say, Exar Kun's time or Reaven's.
>>
>>11604854
>>11604978
>>11604996
Just because they were going to make new movies doesn't mean they couldn't work with the existing EU. There are a few small gaps, and they could always start the new movies from after the most recent book/comic (legacy not withstanding). Especially considering how long it's been since Jedi it would make the most since to have the new movies follow after what was the current EU storyline.

Nuking the entire canon is just lazy.
>>
>>11604996
Nah, Old Republic timeline has already been confirmed as Legends continuity. And we all know how much of an impact on the galaxy's history Great Hyperspace War and Revan's crusades were.
>>
File: vreenak-fake.jpg (20KB, 538x424px) Image search: [Google]
vreenak-fake.jpg
20KB, 538x424px
You reposted this garbage from /tv/?
ITS A FAKE.
>>
>Medieval Revan
Sure, why not. As long as he doesn't go out like a bitch like Maul did in ep 1 it could be cool.
>>
>>11604834
My mind cannot interpret this sentence in any way but a tone of heavy sarcasm.
>>
>>11605054

>ITS REAAAAAAAAAAL
>>
>>11604763
>They're not giving good first impressions.
You know a really good show of good faith to the hardcore fans for Disney to do would have been releasing BDs of the original versions of the OT.
>>
>>11605641
Lucas won't allow that until he's dead.
>>
>>11604567
>I understand not wanting to get Christopher Lee to fly with wires because age and everything, but at least use a stuntman.
This. And you shoot is practical and then REPLACE it with CGI. It sounds insane but that's how every good special effect is done th4ese days because then you know just what the lighting will look like, where the shadows go... and because having actual props, people and locations makes for good direction.
>>
File: article-boys_kissing.jpg (72KB, 547x516px) Image search: [Google]
article-boys_kissing.jpg
72KB, 547x516px
>>11604649
>>
>>11605648
Lucas doesn't get a say in it any more.
>>
>>11604473
That's a pretty awful Revan cosplay, OP

Try harder
>>
>>11604473
That saber is kind of stupid looking. It's asking to slice off your own fingers.
>>
>>11604473
Why would the saber need guards? Don't lightsabers stick to each other during clashes?
>>
File: Star_Wars_Vader_Granov_Cov.jpg (188KB, 584x876px) Image search: [Google]
Star_Wars_Vader_Granov_Cov.jpg
188KB, 584x876px
>>11605009
The movies were never beholden to to the EU. Never. That's always been the rule from day one. The moment you try and work in and around a bloated beast is when you cannot truly work at all.

The only stuff that was/is canon is the stuff the movie and tv producers pick from the mine.

Marvel was chosen to make the first Star Wars comics as part of an attempt to expand the Original Trilogy's merchandizing potential. Bantam was to take the first step in truly creating a world beyond the films before the reigns were handed to Del Rey in 1999. Marvel lost the comic license to Dark Horse in 1991, where the other half of the new Expanded Universe was to take shape, through the Prequel Trilogy and beyond, until the announcement of the Sequel Trilogy, at which point the Star Wars universe had gotten fat enough for prospective authors and producers to be able to cherrypick from the resulting goldmine. And now,

Anyone who didn't see this coming since the first time it happened, is truly a fool. It's an unfortunate "loss", if you can even call it that, considering how disproportionately mixed the EU ended up becoming, but a necessary one. Especially if they were to utilize the Original Trilogy actors effectively.

In any case, if the one rumor I've heard ends up being true, this'll be a preferred experience as opposed to history just endlessly repeating in the Post RotJ EU.
>>
>>11604488
These behind the scenes videos really show how lazy he is. It's ridiculous.
>>
File: Rebel_transport_box_art.jpg (695KB, 1429x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Rebel_transport_box_art.jpg
695KB, 1429x1000px
>>11605891
And now, with Disney's acquisition of Lucasfilm and Marvel, comics rights have returned to Marvel as the new, streamlined canon begins to take shape. Honestly, none of this could have been done without the EU, and the new trilogy owes it that much. But to have to struggle to find some place of relevance within the confines of Thrawn, X-Wing, the Yuuzhan Vong, Darth Caedus, the Lost Tribe of the Sith and so on? You'd be mad.
>>
There has to be a logical reason for why the saber has a light saber cross guard. Maybe he spins the sword around and cuts through the other dude's hands or something?
>>
>>11605891
I didn't say the movies were beholden to the EU. Simply that deleting the entire canon outside of the movies is a lazy move and unless they do serious makeup/cgi work it's going to be about the same time period that the EU was just getting into anyway so they're going to have 40 some odd years of history they need to fill.

>In any case, if the one rumor I've heard ends up being true, this'll be a preferred experience as opposed to history just endlessly repeating in the Post RotJ EU.

If you think they're not going to bring back the Sith, you're sorely mistaken and seriously naive. These movies are nothing but a nostalgia cash grab by Disney.
>>
>>11605928
>lazy

theres that word again. there is nothing lazy about ignoring the EU, which is mostly filled with poorly written drivel. In fact, not wanting to be tied down to what other writers have done and trying to come up with your own story is the opposite of lazy. You just reek of butthurt because your not canon EU was confirmed not canon.
>>
>>11605928
>These movies are nothing but a nostalgia cash grab by Disney.
so that makes them better than a shitty cash grab that pisses on nostalgia like the prequel trilogy
>>
>>11605950
It's lazy because they can just come up with whatever story they want instead of working around the story that's been established by previous authors. If they were willing to delete the canon once, don't think they won't do it again. The new EU will be just as not canon as the old one was. Keep in mind the company doing the comics has no qualms with rebooting a series every 10 years.
>>
>>11605974
>being this rumproasted over Luke's shitty junkie grandson
>>
File: KnightErrant6_Variant.jpg (224KB, 800x1237px) Image search: [Google]
KnightErrant6_Variant.jpg
224KB, 800x1237px
>>11605891

man if nothing else Im sad DH lost the license.

this has nothing to do with the EU or what is or isn't cannon, I love my comics sure but the fact of the matter is have you seen Marvel lately? I don't trust them to make a good SW book

fuck it's only a matter of time before Slott or Bendis is on the franchise fucking things up
>>
>>11605594
>implying it's not true
Your mind is that of a pleb. Literally.
>>
>MUH MANDOS
>>
File: Swkenobi.jpg (1MB, 1869x2844px) Image search: [Google]
Swkenobi.jpg
1MB, 1869x2844px
>>11605986
I'm sad too, anon. But I'm glad for what we did get, in any case. As for Marvel, I'm honestly kind of excited for what they'll pull out. Mostly for the Darth Vader series, since the author's described it as House of Cards, with Vader working to rebuild his reputation in the aftermath of Yavin, seeing as in TESB, we see him in a much higher position of command.

I'm glad JJM's still writing for Star Wars, though. He really did 'get' the whole space samurai schtick the Jedi originally had going on, and it showed in all of his stories. He may not get the reputation Timothy Zahn, James Luceno or Ostrander have, but he's really getting there.
>>
File: Lucien_and_Marn_Hierogryph_meet.jpg (1MB, 1408x719px) Image search: [Google]
Lucien_and_Marn_Hierogryph_meet.jpg
1MB, 1408x719px
>>11606019

I havent read too much but I do like JJM

Gryph may very well be my favorite SW character ever
>>
>>11606027
Knights of the Old Republic, Knight Errant, Kenobi and A New Dawn are his main contributions to Star Wars so far. With Kenobi and Knights of the Old Republic probably tying for his best. It took me a while to accept KotOR for what it was, due to my still being a little young and new to Star Wars comics back then (only about 2 or 3 years ago) and therefore bummed out when Revan, Malak and the Mandalorian Wars weren't given much focus. But after re-reading it in length earlier this year, I really love it.

Pic related is probably one of my top 3 favorite moments
>>
>>11606058
In fact, I think I'll just miss the KotOR era in general. The Mandalorian Wars were my favorite conflict.

Not TOR, though. TOR is a travesty.
>>
File: MalakDyreFight1.jpg (111KB, 830x400px) Image search: [Google]
MalakDyreFight1.jpg
111KB, 830x400px
>>11606058

heh heh.

squint.
>>
File: MalakAndJarael-KOTOR42.jpg (741KB, 735x972px) Image search: [Google]
MalakAndJarael-KOTOR42.jpg
741KB, 735x972px
it's hilarious to replay KoToR knowing what a gameless NTR'd bitch Malak was
>>
>>11606058
Should post the page before that one for full effect
>>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5r-R070qHYw
>>
>>11606086
>races
>>
>>11605974
>muh EU

this is just sad
>>
>>11605908
It's like watching a stay at home mom from the 80s bragging about how she doesn't have to cook anymore because she just puts everything in the microwave now.
>>
>>11604488
Why didn't they just have yoda levitate his lightsaber with his mind and fight that way instead of turning him into a ninja out of no where?
>>
>>11604473
That hilt is beyond retarded
>>
>>11605974
>The new EU will be just as not canon as the old one was. Keep in mind the company doing the comics has no qualms with rebooting a series every 10 years.

As much as I am indifferent to the EU, this is a good point.
>>
>>11604576
Those aren't lightsaber beams, no. They're just plastic LEDs stuck into the hilt to form a glowing crossguard because the Sith thinks it looks cool.
>>
>>11604576
They really wouldn't hurt themselves. I mean these jedis deflect shit.
>>
Best addition in the Star Wars franchise is Lego Star Wars.
>>
>>11606058
>WAAH YOU JEDI LOSERS CAN'T BEAT US GLORIOUS WARRIORS WITHOUT CHEATING

Is this more Traviss Mandalorian fanwanking seeping into the comics? The Mandalorians in KOTOR were totally chill with Revan and Malak considering they gave them a good fight unlike the rest of the pussies in the universe.
>>
>>11604523
Did they forget clones can't have children
>>
>>11604523
They already raped his character by turning him into St. Thrawn, Patron of Being Right All Along.
>>
>>11604488
Whenever I see him I think of Anno. And whenever I see Anno I think of Lucas. Can we send them to Mars somewhere?
>>
>>11606757
Please don't insult Anno like that, the rebuilds are somewhat decent.
>>
>>11606688
No, it's a pretty realistic representation of how anyone would feel going up against a Jedi. I don't even think Rohlan did, prior to being body snatched.
>>
File: MtheUvsRevan.jpg (178KB, 1169x625px) Image search: [Google]
MtheUvsRevan.jpg
178KB, 1169x625px
>>11606688
Not to mention, Mandalorians in KotOR did actually see the Force as an easy way out. They kind of make mention of it in the early stages of the Battle Circle. Mandalorians only really care about the fight and its outcome, anyway, regardless of what you've got.

In any case, his complaint was rather valid - he was bound, kept in check by Republic Security and up against a Jedi all at the same time. Can't say you wouldn't find that highly disadvantageous.
>>
>>11606891
What's the difference between being physically tougher than your opponent and dominating him with your superior strength, and being more Forceful than your opponent and dominating him with your superior Force?
>>
>>11605988
>not being obsessed with the canon of starwars novels makes you a pleb
The new movies not taking the EU into account doesn't mean the stuff you liked evaporated or turned into dust.
>>
>>11607514
>evaporated or turned into dust.
But that's exactly what happened. Various writers and game designers aren't interested in Legends continuity anymore It's just there, left as a big chunk of now dead meat. It will eventually end up forgotten.
>>
>>11608160
They already reached like 40ABY anyway, they're at the point where the movie characters are either grandparents or on the brink of being grandparents. That is to say, they're at the end of the movie characters' useful lifespans, so there's not much more they could have done anyway. It's a good time to make a fresh start and write new stories.

Or so I would have said if they weren't skipping right to 35ABY in Episode 7, putting them in almost the same situation.
>>
>>11604473

I liked the original trilogy, hated the prequels really loved Star Wars Battlefront 1 and 2 and read Legacy and Vector. Despite all this I sort of hate Star Wars. It just seems so one dimensional compared to the UC Gundam universe, Star Trek and Farscape. Shit most sci-fi or mech stuff I've watched is more interesting than Star Wars. Am I alone? does anyone think JJ can save this shit franchise?
>>
>>11607018
Because it's not different levels of Force-use, like it would be with strength or agility, it's have and have not. It's like challenging a guy to a fist-fight and then he pulls a gun on you. Or rather, a guy pulls out a gun on you and then says "fight me face-to-face," when he knows full-well you don't have a gun on you.
>>
>>11608213
Not saying SW is a multidimensional franchise full of deep philosophical ideas, no, it's always been about Good vs Evil, but let's be reasonable

>UC Gundam universe
>m-muh newtypes
>AMUROOO
>Zeon fanwank
>fancy pew pewbattles
>masked pilots
>teen angst
>half-assed conspiracy (see Unicorn)
Yeah, very deep much multidimensional.

>Star Trek and Farscape
Literally the same shit, only a bit different execution.

>JJ can save this shit franchise?
If anything, he'll make it even worse.
>>
>>11608251
But the Force is an innate quality improved by training, like physical attributes, not an implement that anyone can secure with money, like a gun. What if a fast man used his speed to beat a strong man, and the strong man complained that the fast man isn't fighting fair because he's not matching strength with strength?
>>
>>11608260
that happens. In ritual combats. Not in wars.
>>
>>11608160
>But that's exactly what happened.
your book evaporated?
>>
>>11604553
well, it's slightly less stupid than not having a hilt at all.
>>
Is Star Wars truly good, I heard it takes way too many stuff from every other science fiction.
>>
>>11608395
7/10 shuold be succesful b8
>>
>>11604978

> for every retarded entry there were dozens of thoughtful and interesting stories

I'd say you have that backwards, and that for every thoughtful and interesting one there were a dozen (or more) retarded ones, sturgeon's law and all that. There were some good things in the EU, but there was a whole lot of shit too. Besides which, the old EU hasn't been wiped away, it's not like they came in to your house and burned your old comics and books - they still exist to enjoy all you want, it's just an AU now. Nothing more. An AU they'll be plundering the good parts of (in their opinion at least) as and when they please for new shows and movies. It's hilarious to see people are already romanticizing the EU and getting nostalgic over it given how awful some parts of it were.

The folks getting militant about it and demanding it be returned are even more hilarious, because they fail to realize their attitude guarantees no such thing will ever happen and just makes it's fans look worse. Not that it was ever going to happen regardless, but sending death threats and acting like a dick to anyone who disagrees is certainly not the way to to go about things if you want someone to listen to you.
>>
>>11605009

> There are a few small gaps

That's why they ditched it, because there are only a few small gaps where they can realistically set it, because the story has already been laid out for decades post Original Trilogy. And if you try to set a new trilogy in those small gaps, then you'll spend the majority of the first film just explaining the events that led up from the end of Return to that point just so that the majority of people aren't lost as to why Luke is now married, or has kids or is now a widower or what have you. Which would risk alienating EU fans who already know all this shit. That, or you'd end up alienating the new audiences by not bothering to explain it at all.

It's not worth the time or hassle, because the setting had become so bloated and complex that it would be impossible for any new movie to comfortable fit in there at the end of the day and many audience members would no longer be interested in it as is because they would have to read 50 books before the film to understand what's happening, which is more like work than pleasure to many given the quality of many of those books. They ditched it for the same reason Marvel made the movies a standalone universe they can cherry-pick the best content from and you'd have to be pretty delusional to think there was any chance it wasn't going to happen really.
>>
>>11605974

> Keep in mind the company doing the comics has no qualms with rebooting a series every 10 years

Good. Comics could do with doing that more often frankly, especially if they did it in a more absolute manner, where every comic reset completely every 10 or 20 years so that no comic can ever get too bogged down in convoluted history and require you to read a thousand other comics across 20 different titles to get a bead on what's going on. Shifting to a new universe like the Ultimate Universe every decade or two where villains can instead be heroes, new folks can take over a given heroic identity and what not would be much better than what DC or Marvel are currently doing to be honest.
>>
>>11604576
It's like a light-broadsword. Probably not meant for flashy acrobatic stuff.
>>
>>11608395
Go back to the Eva threads, boy.
>>
>>11608255
>>JJ can save this shit franchise?
>If anything, he'll make it even worse.

How? He made ST enjoyable again with the first movie. Haven't seen Into Darkness yet, but I hear its flaws were mostly down to the scriptwriters.
>>
>>11608519
Ideally, everything should be miniseries. The Soap Opera treatment is a plague upon comics series, and it's bound to happen if you have more than two or three writers working successively on a single story, which, again, is bound to happen over the course of a decade.
>>
>>11608546
Into Darkness's flaws were mostly down to trying too hard to clone The Wrath of Khan.
>>
>>11608540
The same with eva, but eva reference seems subtle enough.
>>
>>11605891
>if the one rumor I've heard ends up being true

Luke being a Sith? Han and Leia being pseudo-Imperials out of necessity?
>>
>>11608556
Not clone it, reference it heavily. It's basically bizarro Wrath of Khan.
>>
>>11608564
Not him but yeah I'd welcome it as long as they make a good story out of it.
>>
>>11608564
How is that any better of a premise than anything in the old EU?
>>
>>11608569
Yeah, me too, tbh. It beats fighting some random Imperials and Dark Jedi every other year.
I like the various rumors that combine this with a heir to Dooku that's obsessed with Sith artifacts. It sounds like they want to make a red herring throughout the film, until they make the Luke reveal.
>>
>>11608578
It brings the story back to the core group of characters instead of throwing random strangers into the mix. If the story is meant to showcase the flaws of a previous generation and how a new one has to fix their parent's mistakes, this would be a nice change. The story boards make it sound like the galaxy's been through hell in the past 30 years and that sounds more epic than "Imperial remnant dude #657547848 has learnt to use the Dark Side and is threatening Coruscant. Again."
>>
>>11608588
As far as I know, the "darth luke" rumor is just a misinterpretation of the artifact collector holding Vader's mask in his hand. Since he's full of bionics, people interpreted it as Luke becoming a bad guy and getting more bionics than just his hand.
>>
>>11608609
Could be.
I'm not sure if I'd like the alternative more, though. There should be some connection to the previous films beyond the good guys.
>>
>>11608622
Maybe Plagueis?
>>
>>11608624
pls no.
>>
>>11608255

Star Wars is good vs evil with more in common with fantasy than sci fi. Fictional races aren't really developed and there is a severe lack of female characters.

Like it or not. Star Trek and Gundam are more developed than this. Don't be mad at me I just find these universes more compelling. Lately I'm starting to think Star Wars is more about the music than anything else.
>>
>>11608642

> Star Trek and Gundam are more developed than this

> Two franchises with multiple tv shows that span in to the hundreds of episodes in total are more developed than a set of 6 ~90 minute movies

You don't say. Do you have any more stunning observations to impart Darth Obvious?
>>
I wonder what the white guy per minute ratio is in Star Wars vs other franchises.
>>
>>11608696
go back to /tv/
>>
>>11608672
Star wars has more than 6 movies u idiot LOL
>>
>>11608722
Not any more. LOL
>>
>>11608722

It does, but if you count in the EU then it becomes a lot more developed, and about on par with the other two you mentioned so the point becomes moot and you become the idiot.
>>
The guy from Wakfu?
>>
>>11608642
>Star Wars is good vs evil with more in common with fantasy than sci fi.
Not really, it's a pretty even 50/50 split in terms of sci-fi and fantasy elements spread among the setting, characters, plot, and atmosphere.

>Fictional races aren't really developed and there is a severe lack of female characters.
That's just straight up wrong when there's so many species and an almost encyclopedic history surrounding the ones that get more exposure in the universe. And who gives a shit about "severe lack of female characters" which is also bullshit.

>Like it or not. Star Trek and Gundam are more developed than this.
Coming from someone who likes all three, Star Wars' setting and universe are much more developed overall considering how big and autistically encyclopedic it is, while Star Trek without a doubt has much more developed and human characters considering they have entire TV series following the same group of characters. Gundam and Star Trek have a similar amount of world building and long term characters like Amuro and Char have very iconic personalities like Kirk and Picard.
>>
>>11609193
what "sci" exists in Star Wars
space is no more inherently scientific than a forest
>>
>>11609199
The movies are science fantasy, a lot of the books were a bit harder in the science fiction realm. Too bad Disney nuked the only universe development Star Wars had.
>>
>>11609199
>what "sci" exists in Star Wars
>space is no more inherently scientific than a forest
Oh gee I don't fucking know, the starships, the cyborgs, the droids, the aliens, high-tech low-life, hyperspace and the massive galaxy itself with toxic alien worlds and sprawling city planets. I guess Star Trek isn't sci-fi anymore because it's set in space for a good amount of time.

The Force being massively ingrained in the plot from all manners of regular telekinetic powers to crazy sith magic along with themes common to fantasy literally ripped from Greek and some Asian myths makes up the other fantasy half.
>>
>>11609235
how are any of those things presented in Star Wars in a scientific way?
do they observe the laws of physics?
how are they based in biology, metallurgy, or any other science?
>>
>>11609241
Not everything in sf has to be a master's thesis description of some scientific field. There are levels of sf hardness.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MohsScaleOfScienceFictionHardness

>tvtropes
shut up
>>
>>11609235
The ether/sea ships, the golems, the foreigners, the islands of weird, the big cities...being science fiction demands the environment have actual effects that behave in consistent ways that influence the narrative. In short, a setting with say, machine guns will have people fight differently than a setting with, e.g. bows and sword. A setting with big distances and no place to hide, i.e. space, will have more difficult journeys than one with shorter distances and hiding spots everywhere, like the sea.

SW doesn't do this. It just uses the sea, and renames it "space." That makes it (poorly done) fantasy, not science fiction.
>>
>>11609253
>>tvtropes
>shut up

if you know why would you post it anyways.
>>
>>11609241
Sci-fi doesn't need to adhere to actual laws of physics or hard science, just present the elements in a way that from the writing perspective it appears that way.

Just about everything from grav-lev to other technologies have some in universe elaboration, even the Force to a degree. Many species aren't just copy pasted humans, the Gand for example breathe ammonia instead of oxygen, Devaronians see in infrared, and the Weeqay have some way of exchanging pheromones if I recall. Many aliens have complex biology that are analogous to known life like that. For metallurgy, there's a ton of insane metals and crystals like Cortosis and Plasteel that have unique properties like any other metal. From what you're saying, Frankenstein wouldn't be sci-fi because you can't sew cadavers up and reanimate them with lightning and Tesla coils. Frankenstein is practically the fucking grandfather of sci-fi.

>>11609253
Tvtropes is retarded, in the way they go about it, but they're right to a degree. Hard sci-fi is a thing, but often people can't even agree on that.
>>
>>11609241

Star Trek, Babylon 5, Stargate, Farscape and almost all media that most people enjoy as sci-fi are no longer sci-fi if that's what you take to be the definition of it. Which isn't the actual definition anyways.
>>
>>11609291
>Many species aren't just copy pasted humans, the Gand for example breathe ammonia instead of oxygen, Devaronians see in infrared, and the Weeqay have some way of exchanging pheromones if I recall. Many aliens have complex biology that are analogous to known life like that. For metallurgy, there's a ton of insane metals and crystals like Cortosis and Plasteel that have unique properties like any other metal.
Except that none of that's canon anymore. ;_;
>>
>>11606712

Boba was unaltered and later generation clones after Kamino could have kids.

Assuming they make the mistaken belief that all Stormtroopers were retconned into being Jango clones (something a lot of retards seem to believe).
>>
File: thrawn_v_scirocco_chess.jpg (146KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
thrawn_v_scirocco_chess.jpg
146KB, 800x600px
>>11606744

>implying he was never not right
>>
File: 1402602907719.jpg (657KB, 1000x732px) Image search: [Google]
1402602907719.jpg
657KB, 1000x732px
>>11608564
What? No. The rumor that the Rebels AND the Empire fragmented into 35 years of warfare and dissolution, just Imperial and a Rebel factions filled with infighting over separate interests and ideals; and that Luke's fledgling Jedi find themselves no longer pawns of any government, fighting as a force of justice in a lawless galaxy.

It's not an uncommon: it's been happening in Syria for the past few years, what with the so-called "Free Syrian Army" actually comprising thousands of rebel factions pit against the Assad government.

It's possible the Alliance has factions within its own structure secretly vying for their own visions of a post-Empire galaxy. Considering how incredibly diverse the Alliance is, I can see it as a possibility.

As for the Empire possibly fragmenting, all one really needs look at is how in the EU after Endor, the Empire split into "six, maybe ten major fragments, ruled by warlords and governors" looking to secure their own holds on the galaxy.

While this setup would create a bit of a mess, that's where Luke's working to re-establish the Jedi could come in. Unfortunately, after the Jedi's enabling and support of the partisan disaster that was the Clone Wars, people would naturally have a difficult time accepting the Jedi in a galaxy that hasn't necessarily seen, needed or in several cases, wanted them for more than 20 years.

So his efforts could be rebuffed, leading him to possibly go into hiding as the galaxy continues to plunge itself into warfare until the new cast finds him and provoke in him a change of heart. The new generation of Jedi would then act to force a peace between both sides of the conflict rather than repeat the mistake of the Clone Wars by supporting one corrupt entity against another.

They would truly take up their role as the "guardians of peace and justice". It's also more true to their roots as "space samurai".

Considering the aesthetics we've seen, it's not impossible.
>>
>>11608672

Aren't people complaining how a entire EU got wiped out and you're comparing movie sizes?
>>
>>11609705
>What? No. The rumor that the Rebels AND the Empire fragmented into 35 years of warfare and dissolution, just Imperial and a Rebel factions filled with infighting over separate interests and ideals; and that Luke's fledgling Jedi find themselves no longer pawns of any government, fighting as a force of justice in a lawless galaxy.
That would be so fucking badass

that's why it will not happen
>>
>>11609705
But the Empire was defeated as soon as the Death Star was destroyed. You saw all the celebrations at the end of Jedi.
>>
>>11606763
It was until 3.3, then he went full George Lucas, hell its even the exact same situation, made something famous that was basically a fluke and kept growing because of tha rabid fanbase and then when he became his own boss and not having to answer to anyone he fucked up while doing his thing as he wanted to do it, hell even Nagano suffers from the same problem
>>
>>11610342
>I'm completely ignorant of Nadia's importance in Japan.
>>
File: 1413599019467.jpg (82KB, 489x557px) Image search: [Google]
1413599019467.jpg
82KB, 489x557px
>>11610342

I'd like to think Evangelion was more than a fluke, even his previous and work after reflected this.

I just think it was him wanting to do something differently and horrifically having it blow up in his face. He just wanted to remake EVA with a few changes and instead went "No, I want to try something new!" and half baked 3.33
Not saying 4.44 or whatever will be amazing or he isn't a bit off, but I don't think one movie just ruins all of his past or previous work just yet.

I mean, 3.33 wasn't no Attack of the Clones or Desolation of Smaug.

>inb4 4.44 comes out and I look like a ass
>>
>>11610358
>I mean, 3.33 wasn't no Attack of the Clones or Desolation of Smaug.
No, it was more like Prometheus.
>>
>Darth Maul was originally supposed to be a hulking, spooky half-decayed motherfucker who follows S&M mortification rites
>>
>>11610358
>'d like to think Evangelion was more than a fluke, even his previous and work after reflected this.
I don't know man, what makes it more dark than Baldios? The only thing it had going for it at the time was the catholic imagery that he admited he put there just to make everything prettier not because it had deeper meaning, mind you I like the original and liked that he was trying toalter a few things here and there with Rebuild but I think he didn't really think through the whole implications of doing a story that was similar to the original but also diverted since when Shinji started channeling the super robot pilots of yore he couldn't stay the same passive character he was in the past
>>
File: Nom_Anor_by_Brian_Rood.jpg (381KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
Nom_Anor_by_Brian_Rood.jpg
381KB, 600x800px
>>11610383
>hulking, spooky half-decayed motherfucker who follows S&M mortification rites
that would just be silly to put in Star Wars
>>
>>11610369

Prometheus was actually enjoyable.
>>
File: Baytes.jpg (39KB, 277x364px) Image search: [Google]
Baytes.jpg
39KB, 277x364px
>>11610685
>>
>>11610685

Prometheus is unironically one of the best sci-fi films of the last 10 years, much like Evangelion 3.33
>>
>>11610692
>>11610369

I never understood Prometheus hate....
>>
>>11610727

>why isnt this aliens all over again, the lack of shooting makes me bored
>stop talking about religion it makes me uncomfortable
>why aren't these people acting like emotionless logic engines, I totally wouldn't make these mistakes in their position
>muh xenomorphs
>>
>>11610749
Look, there were a number of issues in that movie, period. Blatant stupidity, terrible "science" and the lack of explanations were what made it a bad movie.
>>
>>11610793

Thank you for being a display example.
>>
>>11610749

>I totally wouldn't make these mistakes in their position

I take it you are retarded.
>>
>>11604666
>You're not going to guard or attack anyone with that.

Watch them come up with some excuse and have whoever this is do just that. Cortosis hilt guard.
>>
>>11610817
Not him, but I couldn't help groaning at people running straight away from the huge rolling ship instead of moving out of it's path.
>>
>>11610807
No problem, glad to summarize the issues into three categories of contention. Since you can;t understand this concept, let me take the time to explain these issues.

Blatant Stupidity: The obvious "Run a different direction from the falling object" issue, David's use of the Black Goo, the Medical Pod programmed only for Male subjects (despite the male and female body being exceptionally similar with limited exception), Weyland's whole immortality plan, the man who runs the map system gets lost because he forgets he has the fucking system he is responsible for running.

Terrible "Science": "Hey, let's poke this unknown and obviously alien life form despite the fact that I was scared shitless about their being an alien life form in here mere minutes before!", "Let's perform a completely new procedure (with no prior testing) on our one specimen of alien life.", "Well, just had a med pod perform a cesarean on me to remove an alien squid thing, then staple me up. I guess I won't tell anyone about said creature, because that would be intelligent!"

Lack of Explanations: What was the purpose of the Black Goo, and how does it work? For what reason did David decide to experiment with the Black Goo the way he did (drop in the booze for scientist). How did David know how to activate controls on the Engineer's ship?

There are some of the major ones that exist, and they have nothing to do with any of >>11610749 complaints. Face it, it was a bad movie. Them forcing it into the Alien universe just made it worse, especially since we didn't even get proper Xenomorphs, but rather the Deacon. This is essentially a problem created from Fox going back and forth over it being an Alien franchise movie or not.
>>
>>11610854

>Blatant Stupidity: The obvious "Run a different direction from the falling object" issue, David's use of the Black Goo, the Medical Pod programmed only for Male subjects (despite the male and female body being exceptionally similar with limited exception), Weyland's whole immortality plan, the man who runs the map system gets lost because he forgets he has the fucking system he is responsible for running.

-Did you miss the bit where Shaw actually did start moving perpendicular to the roll and the ship tilted over on her anyway, her life only being saved by a rock propping up a part of the hull and providing a safe space?
-David's use is not stupid, he was told to find out answers and that the crew was expendable.
-The medpod was programmed for male subjects because it's obviously solely for Weyland's benefit and fuck everyone else.
-Weyland's plan is supposed to be foolhardy, that's the entire fucking point of his arc that he's a stubborn old man who thinks that he can buy immortality.
-the map guy was high as shit at the time.

>Terrible "Science": "Hey, let's poke this unknown and obviously alien life form despite the fact that I was scared shitless about their being an alien life form in here mere minutes before!", "Let's perform a completely new procedure (with no prior testing) on our one specimen of alien life.", "Well, just had a med pod perform a cesarean on me to remove an alien squid thing, then staple me up. I guess I won't tell anyone about said creature, because that would be intelligent!"

-the xenobiologist had a gay crush on fifeld and was trying to impress him. This is basically text.
-Shaw didn't bother telling anyone because it was blatantly obvious that the whole mission was fucked and trying to give input was just getting rejected.

>Lack of Explanations

not gonna cover these because aside from the goo the answers are all literally stated in the film as fucking dialog, you pleb
>>
>>11610854
>Face it, it was a bad movie.

no, it's just that you are literally the lowest common denominator for which the decline of modern fiction is to be held responsible for.
>>
>>11608519
>>11608552
When it comes to comics I'm just sick of everything being an event that'll change everything/the status quo fiveever.

If you keep on doing event, after event, after event, etc you won't have a status quo to change.
>>
>>11608546
The reboot movies don't really feel like Star Trek to me. But I'm not smart or awake enough to explain my reasoning.
>>
>>11608622
Hopefully they won't go into emperor and vader clones. Fuck that noise.
>>
>>11610910
I'm gonna laugh so hard if they just copy stories from the EU and EU haters eat it up because they're not EU stories anymore.
>>
Why do I get the feeling that if there is any sort of Empire in Episode VII, or whatever they're calling it, the people that only watch the movies are going to bitch because "The empire was beaten in ROTJ"?
>>
>>420chan/1701/
>HERE'S THE FUCKING PLOT
>
>OSAMA BIN LADEN GETS A GUY TO BLOW UP THE WORLD TRADE CENTER, AND NOW THE US IS PISSED, SO THEY ASSUME HE IS IN KLINGONISTAN, WHICH IS OUTSIDE OF US OCCUPATION, SO THEY SEND CAPTAIN KIRK TO NUKE AFGHANISTAN, BUT HE CAN'T DO SHIT BECAUSE HE HAS FEELINGS, SO HE CAPTURES OSAMA BIN KAHN AND HE'S BRITISH.
>
>SO THEY TAKE HIM BACK TO EARTH BUT THEY CAN'T BECAUSE CHEKOV IS AN INCOMPETENT PIECE OF SHIT AND KIRK FIRED SCOTTY BECAUSE KIRK IS A FUCKING DICKHEAD LIKE THAT
>
>THEN PRESIDENT BUSH COMES UP AND SAYS THAT HE KNEW OSAMA BECAUSE HE MADE HIM AS A SUPERSOLDIER IN AL-QAEDA 300 YEARS AGO, BUT KIRK IS NO AND HE PUSSIES OFF.
>
>THEN KIRK STARTS TO FUCKING LISTEN TO OSAMA BIN LADEN, AND IT TURNS OUT THAT HE PUT HIS FAMILY INTO THE FUCKING NUKES BECAUSE THAT'S LOGICAL, AND THEN SCOTTY'S BACK BUT ONLY BECAUSE HE'S IN THE BUSH'S SPACESHIP, AND THEN KIRK JOINS OSAMA IN AN OPERATION TO KILL THE PRESIDENT, AND THEN KAHN TAKES THE SHIP AND TRIES TO BLOW UP THE ENTERPRISE AND IT'S FALLING TO EARTH, SO KIRK AND SCOTTY ARE CLIMBING STAIRS AND SHIT WHILE THE ENTERPRISE IS SPINNING AT 200,000 MILES AN HOUR, AND THEN KIRK GOES INTO A NUCLEAR REACTOR AND FIXES THE QUADRILLION-DOLLAR SHIP BY KICKING THE FUCKING REACTOR
>
>KICKING THE FUCKING REACTOR FIXES THE SHIP
>
>THEN KIRK DIES AND SPOCK SHOUTS OSAMAAAAAAAAAAA AND THEN LEONARD NIMOY WALKED INTO THE SET AND DEMANDED HIS PAYCHECK AND LEFT, AND THEN SPOCK CHASED AFTER OSAMA IN NEW YORK CITY AND HAS A BOSS FIGHT ON TOP OF FLYING CARS AND THEN KIRK IS ALIVE AND WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED WITH THE KLINGONS WASN'T THERE SUPPOSED TO BE A WAR OR DID THE US HAVE ENOUGH OIL
>>
>>11610934
>>
>>11604473
>Darth Fett
I dare you to come up with anything more derivative and less imaginative than that.

It's reminding me of my D&D group from 8th grade:
"My new character is a Death Knight AND a ninja who can use cleric spells."
>>
>>11610275
One of the X-Wing novels showed celebrations on Coruscant after the destruction of the second Death Star as well. The movie just cut away right before the Stormtroopers arrived to gun everyone down
>>
>>11611147
Yeah I know, I was just saying what the average movie fan is going to think.
>>
>>11609482
I guess I worded that wrong. Thrawn was a genius commander who was able to predict almost any scenario barring the more crazy ones, but also a villain through and through. He was pragmatic to the point where he happily embraced the worst aspects of Imperial doctrine where it would bring results. Also kidnapping babies to give them to a deranged clone without a second thought.

Now, fastforward to the Hand of Thrawn books and Survivor's Quest, where people just remember Thrawn's genius. Fuck, the last book even ends with Luke and his wife in bed thinking how great it would be to have Thrawn around, I kid you not. And that's without going into Outbound Flight absolving Thrawn of actually pushing the button that murdered a ship filled with colonists or the book after that having Thrawn warn the emperor to beware of the scary Ewoks on Endor because those are a glaring flaw in the plan he immediately sees.
>>
>>11610934
sounds about right
>>
File: space jockey.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
space jockey.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>11610749
>>muh xenomorphs

I wouldn't even care about any of that if the movie didn't make such a fucking deal out of it

Frankly Im more bothered by them ruining the Space Jockey with their idiotic narrative. The whole point of the fucking things was that we weren't supposed to know what they where, they where evidence of how vast and mysterious space really was and how small and insignificant and how little we knew about anything was

it was a humbling experience and in the end we lost that for a shameless cash in and the best they could come up with is lame humanoid garbage
>>
>>11608537
>Probably not meant for flashy acrobatic stuff.
YES YES OH MY GOD YES. Are we getting original style lightsaber fights, where it's two guys actually trying to kill each other instead of slashing at air and doing unnecessary backflips and spins? If yes, then J. J. Abrams gets all of my money.
>>
>>11611175
Oh God, I was actually going to read those books when I had time. Thanks for the warning, mate.
>>
>>11611192
They're not bad books, mind. I did love Survivor's Quest. You just need to be able to read over Zahn turning Thrawn and Mara into giga-Sues.
>>
>>11611189

man I loved that Inquisitor fight.

looked like they where actually fencing, each strike had weight and consequence and it was just nice
>>
>>11611197
>weight
>blades made of light
>>
>>11611525
It's a metaphor.
>>
>>11611192
It's not NEARLY as bad in the Hand of Thrawn books. You really need to read them.
>>
I hope that they at least mention that lightsaber blades can't slide across each other because of magnetic bullshit.
Cause really, if you could just slide your lightsaber blade along your opponent's, the Jedi and sith orders would be full of cripples and fight would last exactly five seconds.

Actually, duels between capable swordsmen trying to kill each other rarely last more than five seconds (not counting the time spent waiting for the other dude to move). It's more like western standoffs than like movie swordfighting.
>>
>>11611559
I don't get what's the problem with HoT? Considering what Thrawn did earlier everyone has reason to fear his return. Plus with how much Flim is nearly the exact opposite of Thrawn, and then Tierce's arrogance provides his own downfall.The only thing I guess I might have a problem with is when Luke and Mara discover the actual Thrawn clone and wonder what it would be like if they could bring him back to life on their side, but they dismiss that as pretty unrealistic nearly right after.
>>
The way light sabers are, there's really nothing stopping a saber sliding down yours and into the hilt and fingers. Vice versa.

So a light hilt sorta makes sense. Though the way it is in the picture, it's gonna lop off the physical part of the hilt anyway.
>>
>>11604473
So, who's the guy in OP's picture? Darth Etch?
Thread posts: 198
Thread images: 24

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.